marinating

Author
baileysoriginal
Double Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 758
  • Joined: 2007/10/17 11:54:00
  • Location: friars point, MS
  • Status: offline
2008/06/28 15:07:52 (permalink)

marinating

How long do you usually marinate your steaks? I only marinate sirloins and ribeyes, for about and hour at room temperature after I take them out of the fridge.

I suppose it depends on the cut of meat and the type of marinade, but I got a two inch thick sirloin today and the butcher recommended marinating at the very least overnight overnight.

Your ideas, please...


#1

14 Replies Related Threads

    divefl
    Double Chili Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 1671
    • Joined: 2007/03/23 21:53:00
    • Location: washington, DC
    • Status: offline
    RE: marinating 2008/06/28 15:14:23 (permalink)
    I only do an hour if in a rush and then it's hardly worth the effort. Let that stuff sit in.
    #2
    lleechef
    Sirloin
    • Total Posts : 6727
    • Joined: 2003/03/22 23:42:00
    • Location: Gahanna, OH
    • Status: offline
    RE: marinating 2008/06/28 17:32:45 (permalink)
    Personally I don't marinate my steaks at all. If I'm going to pay that much money for an expensive steak, I just want to taste the meat. I do, however marinate tougher cuts of beef such as flank steak and skirt steak and usually for about 3 hours.
    #3
    UncleVic
    Sirloin
    • Total Posts : 6025
    • Joined: 2003/10/14 14:56:00
    • Location: West Palm Beach, FL
    • Status: offline
    RE: marinating 2008/06/28 17:39:14 (permalink)
    I'm with Lisa on this one.. Pay 10 to 15 bucks for a decent steak, it better do it's own talking on the grill. Cheaper cuts, well a little olive oil, chopped garlic and fresh rosemary for a couple hours helps them along a little.... But with either cut, allow the cow to reach room temp (about an hour) before letting the flames lick it.



    #4
    MilwFoodlovers
    Filet Mignon
    • Total Posts : 3144
    • Joined: 2001/03/31 23:43:00
    • Location: Milwaukee, WI
    • Status: offline
    RE: marinating 2008/06/28 22:16:08 (permalink)
    You might want to consider a Jaccard if you want to speed up your marinating times.
    #5
    Rick F.
    Double Chili Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 1736
    • Joined: 2002/08/16 09:35:00
    • Location: Natchitoches, LA
    • Status: offline
    RE: marinating 2008/06/28 23:15:56 (permalink)
    I don't. If anything, and just before grilling, S & P and perhaps a thin coating of olive oil with maybe a little fresh garlic rubbed in.
    #6
    Foodbme
    Porterhouse
    • Total Posts : 10199
    • Joined: 2006/09/01 14:56:00
    • Location: Gilbert, AZ
    • Status: offline
    RE: marinating 2008/06/28 23:32:09 (permalink)
    I "Dry Rub' my steaks with Cavender's Greek Seasoning. First spread a little Lite Olive Oil on the beast's, Sprinkle with a little Cavender's on both sides, rub it in a little, let them sit about 1 hour and grill. Cavender's contains S&P, Garlic Oregano, Sugar, Onion Powder, Parsley and 5 other spices plus the regular perservative chemicals. Zero Fat, Zero Carbs!!
    #7
    tkitna
    Double Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 626
    • Joined: 2004/06/10 22:39:00
    • Location: wellsburg, WV
    • Status: offline
    RE: marinating 2008/06/29 06:30:04 (permalink)
    I've just always marinated steaks in worcestershire sauce with some sliced garlic overnite. Does the trick for me.
    #8
    mikeam
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 196
    • Joined: 2007/08/29 07:30:00
    • Location: Raleigh, NC
    • Status: offline
    RE: marinating 2008/06/29 07:36:46 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by Foodbme

    I "Dry Rub' my steaks with Cavender's Greek Seasoning. First spread a little Lite Olive Oil on the beast's, Sprinkle with a little Cavender's on both sides, rub it in a little, let them sit about 1 hour and grill. Cavender's contains S&P, Garlic Oregano, Sugar, Onion Powder, Parsley and 5 other spices plus the regular perservative chemicals. Zero Fat, Zero Carbs!!


    I am a big Cavender's fan also. It's great on steaks. I also like it on ribs.
    #9
    Jimeats
    Filet Mignon
    • Total Posts : 3175
    • Joined: 2005/08/15 20:02:00
    • Location: Ipswich Ma
    • Status: offline
    RE: marinating 2008/06/29 08:32:53 (permalink)
    I could see useing a marinade on a cheaper cut of beef as stated above, but not for sirloin or rib eye. But to each his own.
    Jaccard tenderizer, I won't use one of those either. To me that's nedled beef and it comes out mealey. I don't care for the texture.
    If you have to tenderize a cut of beef just use salt {kosher} and time, overnight in the ice box. Works for me.
    Chow Jim
    #10
    MetroplexJim
    Filet Mignon
    • Total Posts : 4058
    • Joined: 2007/06/24 08:45:00
    • Location: McKinney, TX
    • Status: offline
    RE: marinating 2008/06/30 09:30:38 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by lleechef

    Personally I don't marinate my steaks at all. If I'm going to pay that much money for an expensive steak, I just want to taste the meat. I do, however marinate tougher cuts of beef such as flank steak and skirt steak and usually for about 3 hours.


    That's the word of truth!

    I will, however, use a rub when I'm grilling a good cut. I rub Charcrust Hickory ( www.charcrust.com ) and let the cut rise to room temperature. For "London Broil" I marinate and then rub it with garlic salt and pepper before grilling. Delish!
    #11
    2005Equinox
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 219
    • Joined: 2003/10/27 01:03:00
    • Location: Kaukauna, WI
    • Status: offline
    RE: marinating 2008/07/06 02:13:01 (permalink)
    I tried some Lawrys seasoned salt on my Ribeye last night and it tasted wonderful. I had salted it with said seasoning salt and left it sit for about 5 hours before grilling it. Great stuff.
    #12
    Twinwillow
    Sirloin
    • Total Posts : 5065
    • Joined: 2006/04/15 23:17:00
    • Location: "Big D"
    • Status: offline
    RE: marinating 2008/07/06 02:40:05 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by lleechef

    Personally I don't marinate my steaks at all. If I'm going to pay that much money for an expensive steak, I just want to taste the meat. I do, however marinate tougher cuts of beef such as flank steak and skirt steak and usually for about 3 hours.


    Ditto here.
    #13
    Twinwillow
    Sirloin
    • Total Posts : 5065
    • Joined: 2006/04/15 23:17:00
    • Location: "Big D"
    • Status: offline
    RE: marinating 2008/07/06 02:42:31 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by mikeam

    quote:
    Originally posted by Foodbme

    I "Dry Rub' my steaks with Cavender's Greek Seasoning. First spread a little Lite Olive Oil on the beast's, Sprinkle with a little Cavender's on both sides, rub it in a little, let them sit about 1 hour and grill. Cavender's contains S&P, Garlic Oregano, Sugar, Onion Powder, Parsley and 5 other spices plus the regular perservative chemicals. Zero Fat, Zero Carbs!!


    I am a big Cavender's fan also. It's great on steaks. I also like it on ribs.


    I like to use Cavender's Greek seasoning as well. Especially for my oven baked "Greek chicken".
    #14
    Robearjr
    Double Chili Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 1102
    • Joined: 2007/06/17 21:48:00
    • Location: Baltimore, MD
    • Status: offline
    RE: marinating 2008/07/06 07:52:11 (permalink)
    I find that when I use a liquid marinade, whether it be oil, wine, soy sauce, etc... that the meat gets an off taste. It is somewhere between sweet and musky. So, needless to say I'm not a big fan, although I will season the meat - if I remember- ahead of time to draw out the water.
    #15
    Jump to:
    © 2014 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1