Sign In | Register for Free!
Restaurants Recipes Forums EatingTours Merchandise FAQ Maps Insider
Forum Themes:
Welcome !

maruca's seaside heights NJ

Change Page: < 12 | Showing page 2 of 2, messages 31 to 55 of 55
howard8

• Total Posts: 355
RE: maruca's seaside heights NJ Mon, 09/18/06 2:35 PM (permalink)
Thanks for the directions Steve.
I will be the Dunellen, mid or late October and
do plan on eating some of your outstanding pizza.

scullerton

• Total Posts: 18
    RE: maruca's seaside heights NJ Sat, 10/7/06 4:57 PM (permalink)
    Marucas Florida passed it's final inspections on 10/6/06. We are planning some time to get food in and for staff training, our plan is to open around Oct. 20th.

Thanks for the interest, we hope to see you whenever you are in the area...

Steve Cullerton, owner..

MrTudo

• Total Posts: 9
      RE: maruca's seaside heights NJ Tue, 10/17/06 1:33 AM (permalink)
      quote:
      Originally posted by scullerton

quote:
      Originally posted by ken8038

I've probably been to about 25 or 30 of the places reputed to have the "Best Pizza" in NJ, including all the usual suspects (Pete & Eldas, Vics, Spriritos, Federici's, Patsy's in Paterson, and on and on). For years I resisted suggestions to try Maruca's (it's on the boardwalk in SEASIDE HEIGHTS for god's sake, how good could it be??).

Well, about 5 years ago, I went, at the urging of my sister in law who lives in Texas but wanted to go there on the recommendation of friends. Well, Maruca's has been at the top of my list ever since. In fact, when my sister in law comes in for her annual visit, the first place she wants to go is Maruca's, so I've been there once each year for the past 5 years. Amazing Pizza!

I see from the website posted above that they have started to franchise. Uh oh. Has anyone tried any of the franchise locations?

I am the first Florida Franchisee for Marucas, we are located in Homosassa, Florida, near the Homosassa Wildlife Park where the manatees are seen. It is about an hour above Tampa, and a little over an hour's drive from Orlando on the West Coast.

Over my training, I ate at the Cherry Hill, NJ and Gibbsboro, NJ sites which opened a month or so ago. Their system works flawlessly, the pie was exactly like the boardwalk.

I originally lived in Mountainside, NJ, and moved down South last summer. We missed our "pie", so we decided to be the provider down here to both make a living and get our "fix" of pie on a regular basis.

Domenic Maruca is down here this week helping us with the setup. We expect to open just after Labor Day..

If you get down here, check us out, and say hello to the Manatees next door as well... Steve Cullerton

We're a couple hours south of you in Port Charlotte. Are you really making the paper thin, gotta fold the slice, oil running down the arm NJ Pizza up there Steve?

If so, we may have to look at relocating lol! It's bad here in Port Charlotte.

scullerton

RE: maruca's seaside heights NJ Tue, 10/17/06 1:55 AM (permalink)
        quote:
        Originally posted by MrTudo

quote:

quote:

I've probably been to about 25 or 30 of the places reputed to have the "Best Pizza" in NJ, including all the usual suspects (Pete & Eldas, Vics, Spriritos, Federici's, Patsy's in Paterson, and on and on). For years I resisted suggestions to try Maruca's (it's on the boardwalk in SEASIDE HEIGHTS for god's sake, how good could it be??).

Well, about 5 years ago, I went, at the urging of my sister in law who lives in Texas but wanted to go there on the recommendation of friends. Well, Maruca's has been at the top of my list ever since. In fact, when my sister in law comes in for her annual visit, the first place she wants to go is Maruca's, so I've been there once each year for the past 5 years. Amazing Pizza!

I see from the website posted above that they have started to franchise. Uh oh. Has anyone tried any of the franchise locations?

I am the first Florida Franchisee for Marucas, we are located in Homosassa, Florida, near the Homosassa Wildlife Park where the manatees are seen. It is about an hour above Tampa, and a little over an hour's drive from Orlando on the West Coast.

Over my training, I ate at the Cherry Hill, NJ and Gibbsboro, NJ sites which opened a month or so ago. Their system works flawlessly, the pie was exactly like the boardwalk.

I originally lived in Mountainside, NJ, and moved down South last summer. We missed our "pie", so we decided to be the provider down here to both make a living and get our "fix" of pie on a regular basis.

Domenic Maruca is down here this week helping us with the setup. We expect to open just after Labor Day..

If you get down here, check us out, and say hello to the Manatees next door as well... Steve Cullerton

We're a couple hours south of you in Port Charlotte. Are you really making the paper thin, gotta fold the slice, oil running down the arm NJ Pizza up there Steve?

scullerton

RE: maruca's seaside heights NJ Tue, 10/17/06 2:00 AM (permalink)
          We are in final prep for an opening this week. We made our first test pies on Saturday, they came out superb, dough is great and is as we remember it. The cheese actually seems to melt better down here, just the right amount of oil content out of the oven. I am eating some as I type this. Our staff and test food subjects are raving on the pie, and also the other items on the menu. The registers are in by tomorrow, and we may do the soft opening on Wednesday if that works out OK.

Florida water is NOT an issue with the dough.

Steve Cullerton

BTLover

• Total Posts: 5
            RE: maruca's seaside heights NJ Tue, 10/17/06 6:42 AM (permalink)
            <<I am eating some as I type>>

No fair! I won't manage to get to Homosassa Springs until December. :(

Was back in Jersey last week for my high school reunion (won't say which one) but went to Federici's for old times sake (spent my first two year of high school in Freehold; we were on split session until a new school was built in Howell) - I just didn't think it was the same as I remembered it from long ago. As Tom Wolfe said, you just can't go home again <sigh>.

Joisey

• Total Posts: 150
              RE: maruca's seaside heights NJ Tue, 10/17/06 9:34 AM (permalink)
              Which feds did you go to? I have lived in Freehold for the past 17 years and have not noted any drop off in Fed's pizza (on Main st). I do know Frankie Fed broke away to make his own place to do more gourmet food, but I have also had his pie & it was the same.

Sorry you didn't enjoy it as much as you used to.

I was in my hometown last sat & was going to stop in at our old neighborhood pizzeria (Pizza Masters in Jersey City). The name had changed slightly--I thought better of partaking--wanted to leave the memory live.

BTW--I gotta get to Jules in Silverton !LOL!

BTLover

RE: maruca's seaside heights NJ Tue, 10/17/06 9:46 AM (permalink)
                <<I have lived in Freehold for the past 17 years and have not noted any drop off in Fed's pizza (on Main st).>>

Oh, but I am talking many, many more years ago than that <G> - I have a picture of four of us in Federici's parking lot one of the last days of summer, 1966 before we all took off for college and jobs. So that was several generations of the Federici family ago. If memory serves me right (it dims with age <G>), all they served back then were pies.

I will say the anchovies I had on my pie were of excellent quality (there were four of us with diverse tastes so we had individual pies - although the other three were unanimous in their dislike of anchovies - LOL), and the salad I had with Federici's own dressing was delicious. It wasn't necessarily a bad pie - just not what I remembered.

And I have to admit, compared to Maruca's (no, Steve, I'm not looking for a free pie), not nearly as flavorful. I think the cheese used on the Maruca pie is exceptional - I assume it is a blend of cheeses.

Joisey

RE: maruca's seaside heights NJ Tue, 10/17/06 10:02 AM (permalink)
                  Gotcha BT! That's pre my time in freehold!

BTLover

RE: maruca's seaside heights NJ Tue, 10/17/06 10:50 AM (permalink)
                    << gotta get to Jules in Silverton>>

When I go to NJ, I stay in Island Heights where my friend lives so I was trying to look up the address for Jules. I found Jules Italian Restaurant on Hooper Avenue, Toms River and Jules South which I am assuming is the one (on Kettle Creek Road) but that was it and I did a search for 15 miles around Toms River which - would you believe, resulted in 195 listings for pizza.

NJ must have the most pizza parlors per capita in the U.S. - LOL.

Of course, Seaside Heights is just over the bridge from Island Heights but I do like diversity. What makes Jules so special - and are you talking about Jules South?

Joisey

RE: maruca's seaside heights NJ Tue, 10/17/06 2:49 PM (permalink)
                      BT--It used to be called Jules South & it is now called Jules Italian restaurant. it is on Hooper Ave, on the side of a building, next to/near the Ice cream carousel. Unfortunately, they no longer have pizza at the new location, but their dinners are excellent & sauce that is tops (goot get the homemade lasagna)

it is special to me because I grew up on their food in Jersey City. Jules was a family owned restaurant (well actually 2 of them, in opposite ends of the city.). Next time you are in NJ, give em a try. they are/were a Jersey City institution & many former JCers (who now live in the area)are found there.

scullerton

RE: maruca's seaside heights NJ Wed, 10/18/06 5:59 PM (permalink)
                        Marucas Florida is officially opened today.....

Steve Cullerton

WarrenJersey

• Total Posts: 6
                          RE: maruca's seaside heights NJ Wed, 11/29/06 5:15 PM (permalink)
                          I just tried Marucca's in October, on the recommendation of an Internet acquaintence. It was good, but not the best on the Seaside Heights boardwalk. 3 Brothers is better. Why? Though Marucca's has a better crust, it is very skimpy on the cheese and the cheese doesn't even taste like "mutzarell" more like Muenster or cheddar. It you could put 3 Brothers toppings on a Marucca's crust, you'd very likely have the best pizza on Earth.

scullerton

RE: maruca's seaside heights NJ Sun, 01/7/07 7:17 PM (permalink)
                            A quick report on things at Marucas in Florida. We have been open since Oct. 18th, 2006. We are attracting many long-distance clients from Tampa, Orlando, Ocala, and the Panhandle area of Florida. Some RVers from New Mexico who have had Marucas in Jersey came in last night, and we thrilled with the product.

We are building local support and delighting old fans as well. The dough is NAILED, right on compared to the NJ store(and this is Domenic Maruca's feedback).

The common comment is the excellence of the dough and crust, and unique cheese blend. We are truly pleased with the results down here, and hope to see you all sometime when you are in the area.
                            Email me at pizzamaker1@aol.com or scullerton@tampabay.rr.com for an online menu in .pdf format if you desire.

Thanks for the interest over the last year... Steve Cullerton, owner of Marucas in Homosassa, Florida.

rmancino

• Total Posts: 1
                              RE: maruca's seaside heights NJ Sun, 02/11/07 9:52 PM (permalink)
                              We have a franchise that has been opened almost a year now-Maruca's pizza in Easton, PA at the Palmer Town Center. We serve the original signature pie that everyone in New Jersey loves from their experiences at Seaside Heights. Come visit.

scullerton

RE: maruca's seaside heights NJ Mon, 07/16/07 2:31 AM (permalink)
                                quote:

quote:

quote:

scullerton

RE: maruca's seaside heights NJ Mon, 07/16/07 2:38 AM (permalink)
                                  Unfortunately, Marucas of Florida was a bust! We couldn't make enough money to keep it going, lost the whole store in May at a huge loss, including my home and life savings...

We think the housing downturn was to blaim, the economy in the Homosassa area depends on the building industry, no building means no jobs, and no eating out... other stores are dropping like flies here, I bet the unemployment rate here is in the double digits...

The food was great with huge portions, priced lower than our competitors, and those who discovered us were delighted and told us so.... but the numbers were not there..

A real shame, and a disaster for me and my family...

MrTudo

RE: maruca's seaside heights NJ Mon, 07/16/07 9:41 AM (permalink)
                                    Ouch, that sucks. Sorry to hear that. I know that if you were closer to us and if the pie was thin NJ style I would have been a regular.

A lot of mid westerners in our area on the west coast. I think they would prefer a slice of bread with ketchup and american cheese with a sprinkle of oregano for pizza.

Publix sells fresh pizza dough ( They now sell fresh mozzarella too) and so my Wife and I bought a pizza stone and make our own now. No, it's not NJ but it sure beats the hell out of EVER other pizza they have in the Port Charlotte Fla area.

There's one place here called Pic N Run. A guy named Jason will do his best to make you a thin pizza and it's OK. They used to have a guy named Gary who really did make ( on request ) an ultra thin NJ style pizza by using a small dough to make a large pie. Don't know why they let him go. He made the best pizza in SW Fla.

nicolem

• Total Posts: 153
                                      RE: maruca's seaside heights NJ Tue, 07/24/07 12:36 PM (permalink)
                                      For those of you Floridians who are near Venice or passing through, I would try Fratelli's Pizza and Brew on Rt 41 South Bypass in Venice. It is by far the closest thing to NJ pizza that we have found in Florida. We go there quite a few times when we are visiting my dad.

MrTudo

RE: maruca's seaside heights NJ Wed, 07/25/07 10:28 AM (permalink)
                                        Just so happens we will be passing thru Venice in a couple hours. I have to take my Wife to see an allergist there.

Fratelli's eh? Yahoo! Lunch!

Thanks!

nicolem

• Total Posts: 153
                                          RE: maruca's seaside heights NJ Wed, 07/25/07 11:17 AM (permalink)
                                          quote:

Just so happens we will be passing thru Venice in a couple hours. I have to take my Wife to see an allergist there.

Thanks!

I hope that you enjoy-let us know how it goes.

MrTudo

RE: maruca's seaside heights NJ Wed, 07/25/07 9:00 PM (permalink)
                                            quote:
                                            Originally posted by nicolem

quote:

Thanks!

I hope that you enjoy-let us know how it goes.

Thanks. We wound up going the wrong way. The docs office is at 400 S Tamiami Trail. We wound up going north on 41 Bypass. So we had to backtrack and were a little late so we didn't get a chance to try the Pizza.

HOWEVER, tomorrow I have to bring our new Jeep Liberty in for it's first oil change and check up now that it has broken the 3200 mile mark. That's at Douglas Jeep and I'm leaving it there and taking a loaner. No Wife with me. Just me, the loaner and hopefully a few slices haha.

Dang!

scullerton

Maruca's seaside heights NJ - SURVIVES WITH LITTLE OR NO DAMAGE Sun, 11/4/12 2:56 AM (permalink)
                                              My sources tell me Marucas has gained the favor of the gods.. they survived the terrible storm.  natural gas service is out for 6-8 months, per the gas company, but they are still the destination i crave from 1000 miles away...

ken8038

• Total Posts: 1559
                                                Re:Maruca's seaside heights NJ - SURVIVES WITH LITTLE OR NO DAMAGE Sun, 11/4/12 8:29 AM (permalink)
                                                We were wondering about Maruca's just last night. Glad to hear it survived (although of course it's nothing compared to the 1000's of people who lost their homes).

If they're open, I'll be there next summer!

PS, all the franchises have closed. I had been to the one in Easton PA, and other than the signature "swirl" of sauce on the pizza, it didn't come close.

BTLover

• Location: Sun City Center, FL
                                                  Re:Maruca's seaside heights NJ - SURVIVES WITH LITTLE OR NO DAMAGE Sun, 11/4/12 8:37 AM (permalink)
                                                  other than the signature "swirl" of sauce on the pizza, it didn't come close. 
                                                  -------
                                                  That's for sure - we went to the franchise in Homosassa Springs, FL - what a disappointment! Just was at the Seaside Heights location in September - looking forward to being back, hopefully next summer.

Online Bookmarks Sharing: Share/Bookmark
                                                    Change Page: < 12 | Showing page 2 of 2, messages 31 to 55 of 55

Jump to:

Current active users

There are 0 members and 2 guests.

Icon Legend and Permission

• New Messages
                                                    • No New Messages
                                                    • Hot Topic w/ New Messages
                                                    • Hot Topic w/o New Messages
                                                    • Locked w/ New Messages
                                                    • Locked w/o New Messages
                                                    • Read Message
                                                    • Post New Thread
                                                    • Reply to message
                                                    • Post New Poll
                                                    • Submit Vote
                                                    • Post reward post
                                                    • Delete my own posts
                                                    • Delete my own threads
                                                    • Rate post

2000-2014 ASPPlayground.NET Forum Version 3.9
                                                    What is Roadfood?  |   Privacy Policy  |   Contact Roadfood.com   Copyright 2011 - Roadfood.com