maruca's seaside heights NJ

Page: 12 > Showing page 1 of 2
Author
californyguy
Double Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 513
2003/04/08 15:36:29 (permalink)

maruca's seaside heights NJ

The worlds best pizza hands down is maruca's on the seaside heights boardwalk in new jersey. Made with an artistic flare and all the finest ingredients ,you just can't beat this perfect pizza- they will fed ex pies anywhere in the US for NJ folks away from home and other devotees

54 Replies Related Threads

BostonChowHound
    Junior Burger
    • Total Posts : 22
    RE: maruca's seaside heights NJ 2004/07/06 21:44:34 (permalink)
    We've been to a few pizza joints in Jersey, and the best we've had thus far are:

1) Federici's in Freehold
    2) Vic's Pizza in Bradley Beach

My wife & I go down to the Asbury Park area 2-3 times each year, and we make it a point to get to Vic's each visit. Paper-thin crust and delicious sauce. For a bonus, get their "chopped" antipasto salad. Enough for 4 people to share as an appetizer.

Mmmmm, I think we're over-due for a trip to the Shore.

John
    signman
    Double Chili Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 1743
    RE: maruca's seaside heights NJ 2004/07/07 00:26:27 (permalink)
    Hoss, I've been singing the praises of Maruca's on this board every chance I get. Wish I lived closer. Haven't been there in about 6 years, but it's on my schedule for the end of the month.
    howard8
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 355
    RE: maruca's seaside heights NJ 2004/07/08 14:16:08 (permalink)
    Got to add my comment.
    Based on recommendations from postings on roadfood, I tried Maruca's last summer.
    I try to get to Seaside once each summer. I specifically spend a nite or two on boardwalk food.
    This includes a dozen clams on the half shell at two different spots. Naturally a sausage sandwich, fries and pizza.
    I have to agree, Maruca's is outstanding. For me as close to the perfect pie as I have had. Absolutely thin crust, perfect balance of cheese and sauce. A true quality eating experience.
    I will be back this summer.
    jerseygirl127
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 454
    RE: maruca's seaside heights NJ 2004/07/16 10:48:18 (permalink)

MARUCAS-- definitely the best pizza on the boardwalk! I went to college with one of the maruca sons. don't know if he's still there-- i'd guess he's probably moved on - but that is most definitely the BEST slice you can get on the boardwalk-- or anywhere for that matter.. didn't know that they will send it-- that's scary to know-- might become an addiction!! ** is there a pizza eaters anonymous????**
    Joisey
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 153
    RE: maruca's seaside heights NJ 2006/08/01 14:07:44 (permalink)
    Have to agree--Maruca's is th ebest slice on the boardwalk. 3 Brothers used to be much much better, than it is now. I think Maruca's is also looking to frnachise.

I have to get a slice everytime we go to the boardwalk
    MandalayVA
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 367
    RE: maruca's seaside heights NJ 2006/08/02 17:46:06 (permalink)
    Maruca's--best Jersey boardwalk pizza.

Federici's--best Jersey pizza.

Now I'm homesick.
    jerseygirl127
    Cheeseburger
    RE: maruca's seaside heights NJ 2006/08/02 20:42:18 (permalink)
    mandalayVA i know EXACTLY how you feel..... i moved away from jersey in 87 and have only gone back on visits.... do try to get to marucas every time though.. but i still miss it-- along with the sounds and smells (crazy to 'non shore people') of the ocean.,... and the boardwalk.... makes me homesick too.. but i've got friends there that keep me 'in touch with jersey'...
    where's federici's>?? never heard of it..
    thanks..
    jersey
    Bobs
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 244
    RE: maruca's seaside heights NJ 2006/08/02 21:26:54 (permalink)
    Maybe we need a website for us Jersey natives who ended up elsewhere. When you grow up around the shore and all the food and aroma it never leaves you. I am thinking pizza, subs, porkroll,rootbeer, sausage and meatball sandwiches, et. I can smell them now. I will be thinking of these things for the next week. This is a jersey guy gone south!
    signman
    RE: maruca's seaside heights NJ 2006/08/03 03:29:56 (permalink)
    Jerseygirl, Federici's is in Freehold. See the second post on this thread.
    Joisey
    Cheeseburger
    RE: maruca's seaside heights NJ 2006/08/03 08:40:08 (permalink)
    That's one of the benefits of living in Freehold! LOL! Frankie Fed's (One of the brothers), is now selling pizza at the local Foodtown--frozen & fresh.

Fed's is very good thin crust. Freehold has a few other great pizzerias as well, most notably Bella Vita cafe & Vinnie's.

Im still sold on the place I grew up on--Jules (Formerly of Jersey City & now in Silverton) being my all time best--unfortunatley, they stopped making pizzas when they moved to their new location. The dinners (esp the homemade lasagna) rule though--best sauce I have EVER tasted!
    Joisey
    Cheeseburger
    RE: maruca's seaside heights NJ 2006/08/03 09:09:44 (permalink)
    http://www.marucaspizza.com/
    tamandmik
    Double Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 949
    RE: maruca's seaside heights NJ 2006/08/03 09:30:51 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by jerseygirl127

mandalayVA i know EXACTLY how you feel..... i moved away from jersey in 87 and have only gone back on visits.... do try to get to marucas every time though.. but i still miss it-- along with the sounds and smells (crazy to 'non shore people') of the ocean.,... and the boardwalk.... makes me homesick too.. but i've got friends there that keep me 'in touch with jersey'...
    where's federici's>?? never heard of it..
    thanks..
    jersey

The only thing I miss about New Jersey is the food!
    ken8038
    • Total Posts : 1596
    RE: maruca's seaside heights NJ 2006/08/03 09:51:42 (permalink)
    I've probably been to about 25 or 30 of the places reputed to have the "Best Pizza" in NJ, including all the usual suspects (Pete & Eldas, Vics, Spriritos, Federici's, Patsy's in Paterson, and on and on). For years I resisted suggestions to try Maruca's (it's on the boardwalk in SEASIDE HEIGHTS for god's sake, how good could it be??).

Well, about 5 years ago, I went, at the urging of my sister in law who lives in Texas but wanted to go there on the recommendation of friends. Well, Maruca's has been at the top of my list ever since. In fact, when my sister in law comes in for her annual visit, the first place she wants to go is Maruca's, so I've been there once each year for the past 5 years. Amazing Pizza!

I see from the website posted above that they have started to franchise. Uh oh. Has anyone tried any of the franchise locations?
    Joisey
    Cheeseburger
    RE: maruca's seaside heights NJ 2006/08/03 11:55:45 (permalink)
    There used to be one here in Hamilton (where I work)& it was the same--not to worry!
    jerseygirl127
    Cheeseburger
    RE: maruca's seaside heights NJ 2006/08/04 09:16:20 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by Bobs

Maybe we need a website for us Jersey natives who ended up elsewhere. When you grow up around the shore and all the food and aroma it never leaves you. I am thinking pizza, subs, porkroll,rootbeer, sausage and meatball sandwiches, et. I can smell them now. I will be thinking of these things for the next week. This is a jersey guy gone south!

i agree!!! i'm sure there are many more of us out there than we realize!!!
    write on jerseyfolks!!!
    :)
    scullerton
    Junior Burger
    • Total Posts : 18
    RE: maruca's seaside heights NJ 2006/08/09 22:52:00 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by ken8038

I've probably been to about 25 or 30 of the places reputed to have the "Best Pizza" in NJ, including all the usual suspects (Pete & Eldas, Vics, Spriritos, Federici's, Patsy's in Paterson, and on and on). For years I resisted suggestions to try Maruca's (it's on the boardwalk in SEASIDE HEIGHTS for god's sake, how good could it be??).

Well, about 5 years ago, I went, at the urging of my sister in law who lives in Texas but wanted to go there on the recommendation of friends. Well, Maruca's has been at the top of my list ever since. In fact, when my sister in law comes in for her annual visit, the first place she wants to go is Maruca's, so I've been there once each year for the past 5 years. Amazing Pizza!

I see from the website posted above that they have started to franchise. Uh oh. Has anyone tried any of the franchise locations?

I am the first Florida Franchisee for Marucas, we are located in Homosassa, Florida, near the Homosassa Wildlife Park where the manatees are seen. It is about an hour above Tampa, and a little over an hour's drive from Orlando on the West Coast.

Over my training, I ate at the Cherry Hill, NJ and Gibbsboro, NJ sites which opened a month or so ago. Their system works flawlessly, the pie was exactly like the boardwalk.

I originally lived in Mountainside, NJ, and moved down South last summer. We missed our "pie", so we decided to be the provider down here to both make a living and get our "fix" of pie on a regular basis.

Domenic Maruca is down here this week helping us with the setup. We expect to open just after Labor Day..

If you get down here, check us out, and say hello to the Manatees next door as well... Steve Cullerton
    signman
    RE: maruca's seaside heights NJ 2006/08/10 00:48:15 (permalink)
    Steve, I wish you success. Maruca's pizza is a great product. The question is - are there enough people in your market area who will make the effort to seek out a superior product. Here in Baltimore there are not. The people here are used to sub rolls from a local bakery that taste like wet cardboard. Several shops have opened and gone to the extra expense of bringing in rolls from Philadelphia. Very few people cared, so either the shop closed or began using locally available rolls making it just like every other sub shop in town.
    scullerton
    Junior Burger
    RE: maruca's seaside heights NJ 2006/08/12 00:28:41 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by signman

Steve, I wish you success. Maruca's pizza is a great product. The question is - are there enough people in your market area who will make the effort to seek out a superior product. Here in Baltimore there are not. The people here are used to sub rolls from a local bakery that taste like wet cardboard. Several shops have opened and gone to the extra expense of bringing in rolls from Philadelphia. Very few people cared, so either the shop closed or began using locally available rolls making it just like every other sub shop in town.

Our initial feedback over 6 months of informal discussion with local businesses and acquaintances are quite positive. There is a large contingent of transplanted NJ/NY/PA/Conn folks in the Spring Hill/Homosassa/Crystal River area. In many cases, I have learned they are already Marucas customers from summer trips down the shore over the years, so we have some brand recognition already.

Our oven was installed yesterday, the cooking hoods today, things are going forward nicely. With some luck with the local authorities, we should we up and running mid-September. Both the Maruca brothers and the franchise brass have great vibes with the location, as do I. The population in the operating area has tripled in the last three years (approx. 20,000), and continues to grow with the housing boom. The snowbirds also add to the base over the winter months.

Thanks the the kind wishes, we really think we will do well down here as the competition is not great, we are far from saturation in the pizza market.

More as we get it... Steve Cullerton

californyguy
    Double Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 513
    RE: maruca's seaside heights NJ 2006/08/12 01:02:01 (permalink)
    the florida maruca's sounds great...if only someone would step up to the plate and bring one to sacramento I would be a most happy camper.I have heard though that making true east coast pizza in california is not possible due to either a) the water or b) the lack of humidity ... so desperate for good pizza here that if global warming would increase our humidity here and make a real pie possible I would say that's a good deal
    signman
    RE: maruca's seaside heights NJ 2006/08/12 05:04:20 (permalink)
    Steve, keep us posted and let us know the exact address. I know I'll be in the Tampa area in March, and the drive to Homosassa is shorter than from my home in Baltimore to Cherry Hill.
    scullerton
    Junior Burger
    RE: maruca's seaside heights NJ 2006/08/12 11:04:00 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by signman

Steve, keep us posted and let us know the exact address. I know I'll be in the Tampa area in March, and the drive to Homosassa is shorter than from my home in Baltimore to Cherry Hill.

The exact address is 3938 South Suncoast Blvd, Homosassa, Florida. It is in the Springs Plaza shopping center, about a quarter mile north of the Homosassa Springs Wildlife park that features programs about manatees, and includes a pretty nice small zoo, a relaxing boat ride, and some peace. All for an $8 admission. Make a day of it, it gets the knots out.

The easiest way to get there is take the Suncoast Parkway (Rt.589) north to the end. This is a toll road, but a fast 70 MPH. That is about a 45 mile run. It lets you off onto Rt.98 (Ponnce DeLeone BLVD)
    , take a left turn. I live off this road. you go 4 miles,and hit Rt. 19. This is the main drag along the coast running down to Tampa. Turn right, we are 6 miles north in the center of town at the Springs Plaza to the left at the light. Landmarks are a Hardies, the Publix, and, to the left, a large manatee sculpture named "Bubbles" at the Oasis Motel. We are in the corner of the L shaped property.

Happy to see all when you get a chance to come down. The eats will be good... Steve Cullerton
    RAllen
    Junior Burger
    • Total Posts : 1
    RE: maruca's seaside heights NJ 2006/08/18 13:29:43 (permalink)
    Originally posted by scullerton

Steve,
    Congratulations on your new enterprise. I'm originally from Trenton, NJ, one of the homes of Maruca's Pizza. As a child, we frequented the restaurant on N. Olden Avenue in Trenton, which I believe was the original one. We also loved to go to Seaside (Trenton by the Sea) and enjoyed the Pizza as well as sausage sandwiches on the boardwalk.

Your post of the 12th said that Domenic Maruca was coming down to help you set up. Is this Spike Maruca? If it is, tell him that Bob Allen said hello. If he doesn't remember me, I'm a retired accountant who did the books for his restaurant in GasLight Village, Morrisville, Pa.

We'll certainly be there on your opening....can't wait!

Bob Allen

scullerton
    Junior Burger
    RE: maruca's seaside heights NJ 2006/08/20 21:48:21 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by RAllen

Steve,
    Congratulations on your new enterprise. I'm originally from Trenton, NJ, one of the homes of Maruca's Pizza. As a child, we frequented the restaurant on N. Olden Avenue in Trenton, which I believe was the original one. We also loved to go to Seaside (Trenton by the Sea) and enjoyed the Pizza as well as sausage sandwiches on the boardwalk.

Your post of the 12th said that Domenic Maruca was coming down to help you set up. Is this Spike Maruca? If it is, tell him that Bob Allen said hello. If he doesn't remember me, I'm a retired accountant who did the books for his restaurant in GasLight Village, Morrisville, Pa.

Bob Allen

Spike is Domanic Maruca's Uncle. The late Anthony Maruca's boys Domenic and Joe run the show now. Domenic does remember you in my discussion with him over dinner yesterday.

We are interviewing for staffing this week, and holding our breath for the town and health approvals. Current hopes are for a third of last week September opening, check with me on the exact date.. we usually do soft openings, so probably a Monday or Tuesday leading in the weekend. I believe we will be slammed based on local discussions with folks in the area, and other emails I answer. They want us ready to roll with the punch. We will do our best to provide the "Maruca" boardwalk food experience down here in Homosassa.

I am in this for the long run, and hope the response is enough to sustain the program.

Hope to see you when we open up, ask for Steve the owner so we can chat... scullerton@tampabay.rr.com
    BTLover
    Junior Burger
    • Total Posts : 5
    RE: maruca's seaside heights NJ 2006/08/27 08:25:51 (permalink)
    My mouth is watering. I was curious to know if the Homosassa Maruca's were open yet and stumbled across this forum. I almost wept over the list of NJ foods - the pizza, pork roll, subs and more (I can see the pounds adding up already). Been away from NJ a looooong time and the only thing I miss is the food.

We have a high school reunion in October - I'll try my best to get my fix then, including a trip to Federici's - haven't been there since the summer before we all went off to college (more years than I'd like to admit). I've been to Maruca's more frequently but won't have to travel quite so far now - only about 140 miles round trip.

I'm glad to see my quest for good pizza is soon to be fulfilled.
    scullerton
    Junior Burger
    RE: maruca's seaside heights NJ 2006/08/28 00:15:16 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by BTLover

My mouth is watering. I was curious to know if the Homosassa Maruca's were open yet and stumbled across this forum. I almost wept over the list of NJ foods - the pizza, pork roll, subs and more (I can see the pounds adding up already). Been away from NJ a looooong time and the only thing I miss is the food.

We have a high school reunion in October - I'll try my best to get my fix then, including a trip to Federici's - haven't been there since the summer before we all went off to college (more years than I'd like to admit). I've been to Maruca's more frequently but won't have to travel quite so far now - only about 140 miles round trip.

I'm glad to see my quest for good pizza is soon to be fulfilled.

The 56 inch Rotoflex oven is in, the cook line is installed, and the refrigeration is being tested as we speak. Once we get the local authorities and the food inspectors out of our hair, we will be able to finish our training with the new staff, bring in the food, and get cooking.

Our ESTIMATE is the third or last week of September. We are three months behind our original plans to get open, due to local town problems. The new menus are in,and signage is in the windows and on the pole.

I will post the happy date when I am SURE it is firm. Domenic Maruca will be training us himself for a few weeks once the food is in. A MAJOR effort is being made to assure high water quality to alliviate the "water problem" myth.(A good Mythbusters project)

Identical ingredients to the NJ Marucas store will be used in the products. I also used to travel 140 miles RT to get this pie, and I am thrilled to be the provider for Florida.

Steve Cullerton
    scullerton
    Junior Burger
    RE: maruca's seaside heights NJ 2006/09/08 17:13:23 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by RAllen

Steve,

Bob Allen

Here is this week's update on Maruca's Florida. We're just awaiting the finals for fire safety, and the food license from Tallahasee. If things work out, we should be up around September 25th, as an estimate. This includes some prior setup time for the ovens, and training for the staff and food prep practice for the crew. We are evaluating staff this weekend, and should make some firm decisions on the final staffing next week.

Our printed menus are in and going out like hotcakes. I do have an electronic version I can provide on a case by case basis if you email me at scullerton@tampabay.rr.com.

I have also setup an AOL email for the store at pizzamaker1@aol.com, for those who would like to get me at the store when I am there, for more information.

We are looking forward to the opening, I need my pie fix also...

Steve Cullerton, owner..

signman
    RE: maruca's seaside heights NJ 2006/09/13 03:38:37 (permalink)
    I visited the Cherry Hill store a week ago. The place was spotless and the menu looked good. Lots of things besides pizza. But pizza is what I went for, and it was a winner. Must be that rotary oven.

Good luck, Steve.
    howard8
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 355
    RE: maruca's seaside heights NJ 2006/09/15 11:34:46 (permalink)
    Had my Maruca's fix this summer on the boardwalk at Seaside Heights, NJ.
    Once again simply outstanding pizza.
    Scullerton or signman or anyone out there, I will be spending time in a
    place called Dunellen, Florida which is the northern part of the state.
    Am I in striking distance of your restaurant?
    scullerton
    Junior Burger
    RE: maruca's seaside heights NJ 2006/09/15 12:39:26 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by howard8

Had my Maruca's fix this summer on the boardwalk at Seaside Heights, NJ.
    Once again simply outstanding pizza.
    Scullerton or signman or anyone out there, I will be spending time in a
    place called Dunellen, Florida which is the northern part of the state.
    Am I in striking distance of your restaurant?

You are in good striking distance to the Homosassa store from Dunellen. We are south on Rt. 19 from you. I assume you will go south on Rt. 41 from Dunellen, this runs parallel to Rt. 19 inland.

If you go to the coast on Rt. 40 to Rt. 19, we are about 20-some miles south. The store is in the Publix shopping center just north of the Homosassa Springs Wildlife park on Rt. 19, at the intersection of Rt. 490 and Rt. 19.

If you come down Rt. 41 South instead from Dunellen, turn right at the Rt. 491 intersection(Lecanto Highway). Take this to the Rt. 44 intersection(Gulf to Lake Parkway). Turn right here, and then take a left at the next light onto Rt. 490. This will take you right to where the store is when it hits Rt. 19.

We are just awaiting our CO from the town and the business license from Tallahasee. We are estimating opening around September 25 to 30th. Domanic Maruca will be down helping us the first two weeks.

Thanks for the interest... Steve Cullerton
    Page: 12 > Showing page 1 of 2
    Jump to:
    © 2014 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1