meatloaf

Author
Macdaddy
Hamburger
  • Total Posts : 73
2004/11/16 18:22:54 (permalink)

meatloaf

I am looking for a simple meatloaf recipe to use for meatloaf sandwiches. one WITHOUT OATS!! And I read someone thought tomato sauce was not a good addition for meatloaf used in sandwiches. Can anyone help? Are there recipes with a mustard glaze, rather than tomato?
thanks

14 Replies Related Threads

Bushie
    Filet Mignon
    • Total Posts : 2902
    RE: meatloaf 2004/11/16 21:11:56 (permalink)
    Here's a "simple" one...

1 pound of hamburger (NOT lean)
    1 package of Lipton's soup mix
    2 eggs
    1 rail of saltines, crushed (you may not need the whole thing)
    Salt, pepper, and enough water to make it pliable

Mix all together and bake.

Since you want mustard, you could mix it in or top it before baking.

Now, if you want a REAL recipe, come back and I'm sure there are some fabulous recipes available from The Ladies of the Northeast, or from many members of our Southern contingent.
    sizz
    Double Chili Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 1688
    RE: meatloaf 2004/11/16 22:18:09 (permalink)
    Right on Bushie .........that's the same way my wife Linda makes her meat loaf only difference being she'll soak some dry white bread in milk instead of the saltines/water. The poor girl is allowed in the kitchen once a year to do her meat loaf. The kids all loved it and I to like it cold on a sandwich.................... I think Linda would be lost without Lipton's onion soup mix and Campbell cream of mushroom soup. It must be a Midwest thing........ For my own safety I stay the hell away when she's in the kitchen less I get hit with a flying can opener. The rest of the year the kitchen belongs to me.........Frank
    Bushie
    Filet Mignon
    • Total Posts : 2902
    RE: meatloaf 2004/11/17 08:23:54 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by fpczyz

... I think Linda would be lost without Lipton's onion soup mix and Campbell cream of mushroom soup. It must be a Midwest thing....

emsmom
    Double Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 955
    RE: meatloaf 2004/11/17 09:15:45 (permalink)
    I make a glaze out of mustard, ketchup and brown sugar and put on top of my meatloaf. I bake it with some on it and then about 10 minutes before time to take it out of the oven, I add some extra glaze to it.
    Michael Hoffman
    Double-chop Porterhouse
    • Total Posts : 18660
    RE: meatloaf 2004/11/17 10:17:23 (permalink)
    I mix together two pounds of ground chuck, one large, grated yellow onion, one beaten egg, salt and pepper to taste, a couple of shakes of garlic granules, one teaspoon of Coleman's English mustard (powdered), one teaspoon of dried parsley, a tablespoon of Worchestershire sauce, a tablespoon of A1 sauce, and a cup and a half of bread crumbs. If it's a little too dry, I add a bit of milk. I then form it into a loaf and bake it in a 350-degree oven for an hour and a half. (If for some reason I can't find chuck and end up using a leaner meat then I'll top the loaf with bacon before baking.
    carlton pierre
    • Total Posts : 2500
    RE: meatloaf 2004/11/23 22:40:42 (permalink)
    I made a meatloaf one time and realized halfway through I didn't have any crackers, so I crushed up some pretzels and used those in my mix. To this day, my kids, now grown, ask me if I've used pretzels whenever I make a meatloaf. Notice I did not say they "request" pretzels.
    Pogo
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 269
    RE: meatloaf 2004/11/24 12:53:09 (permalink)
    I use grapenuts instead of oats. I also add several seeded, scraped fresh jalapeno's, ground cumin, white and black pepper, one bulb of fresh garlic crushed, lots of onion and grated carrot.
    aleswench
    Double Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 686
    RE: meatloaf 2004/11/24 13:34:20 (permalink)
    I have a great meatloaf recipe given to me by my mother-in-law. I have never like meatloaf, until I tried hers. It has a very strange ingredient - a ripe banana. Swear. Really. And it's great! Have to dig out the recipe and post it. Sue
    linus
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 252
    RE: meatloaf 2004/11/25 09:35:26 (permalink)
    I use meatloaf mix, that ground beef,veal pork stuff, about two pounds worth. I add one egg, a cup of finely chopped onion, a splash of Worstershire sauce, a half teaspoon each of sage, garlic powder,salt, pepper and a tiny pinch of nutmeg.Add just enough fine bread crumbs to make the loaf hold together. I also add a tblsp of brown sugar. If you do that, the loaf takes like it has ham in it. Bake at 375 for about an hour. This makes an easy, tasty loaf.Somtimes after it's about ten minutes from being done, I take it out, drain off the excess fat, smear the top with ketchup,and cover that with croutons. That's crunchy top meatloaf and it's really tasty!
    MacD, if you omit the crunch top, make meatloaf and chill overnight, the above recipe makes fantastic sandwiches.
    juliev
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 147
    RE: meatloaf 2004/12/29 09:03:49 (permalink)
    I make an italian-style meatloaf for sammiches! It makes a good meatloaf parmesan sammich or just eat it cold on a good kaiser roll!

1 egg
    1 1/2 lbs lean ground beef or turkey
    8 oz hot or mild italian sausage, casings removed
    1 cup seasoned bread crumbs
    1 cup tomato sauce, divided
    1 cup finely chopped onion
    1/2 cup finely chopped gr pepper

In large bowl, beat egg lightly. Add ground beef, sausage, bread crumbs, 3/4 cup tomato sauce, onion and gr pepper; mix well. Press into ungreased 9x5" loaf pan. Bake uncovered, in preheated 350° oven for an hour. Spoon remaining tomato sauce over meat loaf. Bake an additional 15 min or until no longer pink in center; drain. Let stand for 10 min before serving.
    Scarlett
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 402
    RE: meatloaf 2004/12/29 09:58:19 (permalink)
    I got to admit - I use the seasoning that comes in the little packages. I start with the basic recipe on the envelope and add other ingredients,i.e., chopped onion, green pepper, fresh parsley, a small amount of celery .. or whatever I have on hand. I have never had success with meatloaf that didn't start with the prepackaged seasoning.
    juliev
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 147
    RE: meatloaf 2004/12/29 10:20:43 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by Macdaddy

I am looking for a simple meatloaf recipe to use for meatloaf sandwiches. one WITHOUT OATS!! And I read someone thought tomato sauce was not a good addition for meatloaf used in sandwiches. Can anyone help? Are there recipes with a mustard glaze, rather than tomato?
    thanks
    I just realized that you asked for a recipe without tomato sauce. Who said it wasn't good for sammiches? I have always used that recipe.. turns out fantastic! I guess it's all a matter of taste.
    carlton pierre
    • Total Posts : 2500
    RE: meatloaf 2004/12/29 11:54:09 (permalink)
    Some comments: I love meatloaf sandwiches. They're kind of loke cold pizza the next day, but they're also good hot.
    I've never seen a meatloaf recipe that called for oats, but I think I might try it some time.
    enginecapt
    Filet Mignon
    • Total Posts : 3486
    RE: meatloaf 2004/12/31 19:57:56 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by carlton pierre

Some comments: I love meatloaf sandwiches. They're kind of loke cold pizza the next day, but they're also good hot.
    I've never seen a meatloaf recipe that called for oats, but I think I might try it some time.

Coming from a family where 1 side used oats and the other used bread crumbs, I can say my hands down pref is for the oats. The texture of the meatloaf with the bread is unpleasantly slimy to my palate.
    Jump to:
    © 2014 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1