mini hamburger buns/slider buns

Page: 123 > Showing page 1 of 3
Author
georgiadogs
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 362
2010/01/17 13:29:15 (permalink)

mini hamburger buns/slider buns

Having trouble finding slider buns around my area. The distributors around here don't carry them. Tried a local baker and they are either to small or to big. Sam's Club has a roll that will work for the right price but I was looking for a mini hamburger bun or the 2.5 ciabata bread similar to what Applebees uses. I hate to order them from out of region but you gotta do what ya gotta do. Any advise?

67 Replies Related Threads

Curbside Grill
    Filet Mignon
    • Total Posts : 3916
    Re:mini hamburger buns/slider buns 2010/01/17 13:53:02 (permalink)
    BillyB
    Filet Mignon
    • Total Posts : 2851
    Re:mini hamburger buns/slider buns 2010/01/17 15:24:02 (permalink)
    12x12 Wheat Montana Bakery slider buns 2" ......$27.50

Franz Family Pack 2" Hamburger buns 6x24 .......$21.71

I could order Franz any time, Montana Bakeries are a special order

mrclean
    Junior Burger
    • Total Posts : 41
    Re:mini hamburger buns/slider buns 2010/01/17 16:13:11 (permalink)
    Hey Georgiadogs. You must be living right. Get on down to Target and look on the bottom shelve in the bread isle. You will find the best slider buns in the country. They are slider potato rolls sold by Martin's. The company is located in Pa and has the best bread. Ingles also sells this brand in the Atlanta area. You will pay about $3.00 a pack but they are well worth it. Look for coupons also somewhere around the item. I have one here that is .50 off which Ingles will double to $1.00. Good Luck

http://www.potatoroll.com/index.asp

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LEccdJKg7sQ

DawnT
    Double Chili Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 1286
    Re:mini hamburger buns/slider buns 2010/01/17 16:51:00 (permalink)
    Martin's is what we use also and the size and soft texture are wondeful. They also have a very long shelf life. All of the original mini burgers used dinner rolls that I recall. I don't recall the brand, but I did see what looked like miniature round rolls at our local Gordons's/GFS. There's also a retail brand that's similar that I seen at our local Publix. Both are especially for sliders/mini-burgers. 
    bwave
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 231
    Re:mini hamburger buns/slider buns 2010/01/17 17:23:23 (permalink)
    Martin's Potato Rolls are the nastiest most vile foodstuff I've ever tasted.  It's like yellow cake dipped in vinegar.   Use them and you'll be sure to lose customers.   Bread should taste like BREAD.

Also, are you sure you want to jump on the slider bandwagon?   Little burgers are tough and hard to cook perfect.   You'd want to cook to order too, as they get even worse sitting around warming?  Just my opinion.
    CCinNJ
    Sirloin
    • Total Posts : 7778
    Re:mini hamburger buns/slider buns 2010/01/17 17:27:23 (permalink)
    I think Martin's is usually one of those love it or hate it kind of products.
    DawnT
    Re:mini hamburger buns/slider buns 2010/01/17 18:32:19 (permalink)
    Gee for such a vile and hated product in your opinion, we can fry up 72 ( 6 packs ) 4/ 1 frozen ~1/4lb patty and they disappear as fast as we can make them. Ditto the hot dog rolls. When we switched to regular Holsum brand long rolls we got complaints. Seems like our congregation that represents several ethnic groups has a universal preference for Martin's rolls. You may have your opinion and preference, but your description of the taste has no relation to the product.

What's so hard about cooking them? The method we use is quartering pounds of meat and pressing them out between two sheets of deli paper and flash freesing them on full rack pans. We also make up a batch of dried onions reconstituted with beef stock base. Forget about holding them, their gone as fast as we can make them.
    Dr of BBQ
    Filet Mignon
    • Total Posts : 3716
    Re:mini hamburger buns/slider buns 2010/01/17 18:58:05 (permalink)
    Well that video short order cook wasn't making sliders, but boy was I glad to see it. That was the Jack Robinson System's brother if there ever was one.

The exact same cooking method that was used here in Springfield for years, at Jack Robinson.

And now Rich the owner at Top Cats has started making them, but for what ever reason he has not put them on the menu, so only a few insiders know they are available.

Mr and Mrs Buddy Roadhouse and I enjoyed them just a few weeks ago. I'm going to start doing them at events this summer. So anyone know what they are charging for the Manna Cheeseburger? Serious eats dot com (link below) shows a menu board listing Hamburgers at $1.05 and Cheeseburgers at $1.25 is that the currant price??? There is a Manna in Hackensack and another in Jersey City, it's hard for me to believe they're only charging $1.05 for a hamburger.

They are a great money maker because you only use 2-1/2 oz of meat and they cook very quickly. Nobody here in Springfield put condiments on them because they are so loaded with butter and grease you don't need anything else.

My all time favorite burger!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MhLeH46e0is&feature=youtube_gdata

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LEccdJKg7sQ

http://www.youtube.com/wa...vJXwfE&feature=fvw

http://www.youtube.com/wa...qU&feature=related

http://www.youtube.com/wa...Ic&feature=related

http://www.youtube.com/wa...oI&feature=related

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QOAqMBxpwgE
    http://aht.seriouseats.co...ers-nj-new-jersey.html

http://www.hollyeats.com/WhiteManna.htm

http://www.roadfood.com/R...erview.aspx?RefID=6392

http://www.foodmayhem.com/2009/04/white-manna.html

http://www.truveo.com/sea...%20language%3A%22en%22

Here is a picture of the Jack Robinson System

post edited by Dr of BBQ - 2010/05/02 11:09:41
    bwave
    Cheeseburger
    Re:mini hamburger buns/slider buns 2010/01/17 19:02:25 (permalink)
    "congregation" sounds to me like you're giving them away.  I'm sure hungry low income people are polite and will scarf anything given to them.  I'm not sure this would translate well to all regions and to selling a product to repeat customers.

Martin's to me are bought by grandmothers who want to buy rolls, and a week later slap some bologna and miracle whip on it and feed it to their grandkids.  

I'm not sure that's what you want for a "trendy" slider.  

I'm telling you if I bought a sandwich from a place and it was served on a potato roll, I'd have real concerns about ordering any sandwich from them in the future, as I'd be afraid it'd come on potato roll also.    Lots of people hate them things, at least offer a choice.
    DawnT
    Re:mini hamburger buns/slider buns 2010/01/17 20:05:58 (permalink)
    I'll consider this an abusive, degrading, and even a blatently racist comment BWAVE. Just because I mentioned several ethnic groups, it conjures in your mind that we are all socially and economically disadvantaged and somehow a caste below yourself?  Do you consider yourself better then us? Does our multicultural makeup relegate us to impovershied immigrants status looking for a handout or a free meal? Most of us happen to be solidly upper-middle class and professionals. Your entitled to your opinions, but when you start making presumptious and predjudicial comments as you just made,that crosses the line of acceptable behavior.
    Dr of BBQ
    Filet Mignon
    Re:mini hamburger buns/slider buns 2010/01/17 20:19:28 (permalink)
    DawnT

I'll consider this an abusive, degrading, and even a blatently racist comment BWAVE. Just because I mentioned several ethnic groups, it conjures in your mind that we are all socially and economically disadvantaged and somehow a caste below yourself?  Do you consider yourself better then us? Does our multicultural makeup relegate us to impovershied immigrants status looking for a handout or a free meal? Most of us happen to be solidly upper-middle class and professionals. Your entitled to your opinions, but when you start making presumptious and predjudicial comments as you just made,that crosses the line of acceptable behavior.

I don't have a dog in this fight but come on, your going a bunch overboard here.

In fact I'd have to ask why you even included this line:Seems like our congregation that represents several ethnic groups has a universal preference for Martin's rolls.

Who cares: (represents several ethnic groups). Why is that any part of this discussion? For that mater the impression I got on the rant about the buns was way overdone also.
    post edited by Dr of BBQ - 2010/01/17 20:24:33
    CCinNJ
    Sirloin
    Re:mini hamburger buns/slider buns 2010/01/17 20:23:06 (permalink)
    White Manna is in Hackensack. White Mana is in Jersey City.

http://www.nj.com/hudson/index.ssf/2009/10/1939_prices_at_white_mana_to_c.html

Most people will say they like White Manna better. It is excellent....but White Mana is special local home Roadfood for me. Memories put it over the top for me and I can parlay a trip from another local favorite Boulevard Drinks...in a flash. Foo Foo food? Nope.
    post edited by CCinNJ - 2010/01/17 20:26:27
    Dr of BBQ
    Filet Mignon
    Re:mini hamburger buns/slider buns 2010/01/17 20:28:28 (permalink)
    CCinNJ

White Manna is in Hackensack. White Mana is in Jersey City.

http://www.nj.com/hudson/index.ssf/2009/10/1939_prices_at_white_mana_to_c.html

Most people will say they like White Manna better. It is excellent....but White Mana is special local home Roadfood for me. Memories put it over the top for me and I can parlay a trip from another local favorite Boulavard Drinks...in a flash. Foo Foo food? Nope.

CC,
    Anyone that looked at the related links would know that Manna vs Mana but your not giving me any inside scoop, on the burgers. Am I right on the two and 1/2 ounce per burger? Tell me something the videos I posted doesn't show me so I can start cooking these puppies.

Thanks
    Jack
    CCinNJ
    Sirloin
    Re:mini hamburger buns/slider buns 2010/01/17 20:32:48 (permalink)
    It causes a lot of confusion in NJ. People think they are the same or get them confused. They are sliders...I never paid that close attention to the weight. I will go on Tuesday and do a full report with pics...and pay attention.
    Dr of BBQ
    Filet Mignon
    Re:mini hamburger buns/slider buns 2010/01/17 20:48:50 (permalink)
    CCinNJ

It causes a lot of confusion in NJ. People think they are the same or get them confused. They are sliders...I never paid that close attention to the weight. I will go on Tuesday and do a full report with pics...and pay attention.

Very cool!!! I'll look forward to it. Is it asking to much to ask that you put a stop watch in your pocket? I'd like to know exactly how long it takes to cook one of the burgers. And not to pick a fight but they look about twice the size of a white castle so with my lack of experience (WC is the only slider I have had) are they really called a slider by the general public?

Thanks
    Jack
    bwave
    Cheeseburger
    Re:mini hamburger buns/slider buns 2010/01/17 20:49:49 (permalink)
    Dawn, you're the only one that mentioned "ethnic groups"...      I only said that a "congregation" sounds like a church, which sounds like you're giving the product away, not a sales venue.   Most churches I know help out less fortunate people, and in any case, are going to be a far more polite group of people who wouldn't complain about food being given to them.   This is in the "restaurant professionals" area - which leads me to thinking that Georgia Dogs was wanting to SELL sliders.   I was giving him a valid opinion.   I think potato rolls are low quality product, and would hurt his sales.

I'm not going to win this argument with you, as you obviously love them.   You probably are also the type of person that loves crispy coating on french fries.   I personally find that offensive as well.   I think far too many places these days sacrific quality, for something cheap to sell to the ignorant masses.   It's the only reason Applebees is still in business.

I personally feel that bread should taste like BREAD, and that french fries should taste like POTATOES.   I don't want my bread to taste like potato starch and I don't want my french fries to taste like dextrose.   Call me crazy if you'd like, but that's my opinion.
    DawnT
    Re:mini hamburger buns/slider buns 2010/01/17 20:55:13 (permalink)
    The point is simply "everybody" seems to prefer them accross several demographics Jack. That's something that doesn't happen very often and says something profound about the preferences. Keep in mind this is Miami and we're a multicultural city.  I run a small church kitchen twice a week. It's very hard to please (read exasperating) an anglo,hispanic,asian,and Carribean multiethnic group trying to serve entrees that everyone can agree on. Sometimes the groups preferences can be surprising. We started the mini burgers on a lark and used Martin's and they were a hit. They also happen to be quite expensive compared to generic dinner rolls and not available from our foodservice supplier. When we substituted regular dinner rolls, I got an earfull.
    Wasn't trying to make a point other then literally "everybody" seemed to prefer them. At over $3/12 rolls, it a very difficult expense to justify.
    CCinNJ
    Sirloin
    Re:mini hamburger buns/slider buns 2010/01/17 20:56:35 (permalink)
    I will get the inside scoop.  In the adult years we go there  around  2 am after I have had a few cocktails (it is tradition) and have a great deal of fun!! I wonder if I ever cooked a few...and don't remember. They can tell me on Tuesday!

I will bring a stop watch and a White Castle slider (there is a WC a few blocks away)....and take the pic of them side by side in the parking lot.
    post edited by CCinNJ - 2010/01/17 20:59:29
    Dr of BBQ
    Filet Mignon
    Re:mini hamburger buns/slider buns 2010/01/17 21:21:41 (permalink)
    CCinNJ

I will get the inside scoop.  In the adult years we go there  around  2 am after I have had a few cocktails (it is tradition) and have a great deal of fun!! I wonder if I ever cooked a few...and don't remember. They can tell me on Tuesday!

I will bring a stop watch and a White Castle slider (there is a WC a few blocks away)....and take the pic of them side by side in the parking lot.

Your my leader.
    TY
    Jack
    CCinNJ
    Sirloin
    Re:mini hamburger buns/slider buns 2010/01/17 21:29:09 (permalink)
    My pleasure! I have to pick up cast iron ingot molds in the neighborhood on Tuesday for a  food project...and this will be fun fun fun! They know my family forever so they will not think it is strange...even when they see me and the sun is shining!
    Dr of BBQ
    Filet Mignon
    Re:mini hamburger buns/slider buns 2010/01/17 21:36:10 (permalink)
    DawnT

The point is simply "everybody" seems to prefer them accross several demographics Jack.
    Wasn't trying to make a point other then literally "everybody" seemed to prefer them. At over $3/12 rolls, it a very difficult expense to justify.

Well let me step on mine now. LOL I understand what you were saying but 25 cents per bun isn't a bad price if your selling something, but if your giving it away, (and the hamburger should cost you another 46 cents) so your at about 75 cents each.

I'd go to the cheapest bun I could find hit it with a brush of butter and then grill it as in the video above and tell the people you feed eat it and beat it.

It's good food, it's cooked fresh, it's trendy, and it's free. People are way to picky when given something free.

BillyB
    Filet Mignon
    Re:mini hamburger buns/slider buns 2010/01/17 22:05:09 (permalink)
    Hi jack, I show two different sliders in my guide, both 8-1, one round 3" and the other one square 3x3. I use the round one on my $1 burger night on a cluster roll............billyb
    Dr of BBQ
    Filet Mignon
    Re:mini hamburger buns/slider buns 2010/01/21 16:40:51 (permalink)
    The Cozy Inn still uses the same flat top from nearly 88 years ago, I think I need a road trip.
    http://www.cozyburger.com/menu.html
    BillyB
    Filet Mignon
    Re:mini hamburger buns/slider buns 2010/01/21 16:54:07 (permalink)
    even I could remember that menu...6,12,24 burgers,UP, OH ****, I screwed up, two of those were doubles. Looks like a fun palce Jack.....Billy
    CCinNJ
    Sirloin
    Re:mini hamburger buns/slider buns 2010/01/21 17:03:15 (permalink)
    White Mana Mission accomplished.

I will post the complete report tomorrow afternoon.
    Dr of BBQ
    Filet Mignon
    Re:mini hamburger buns/slider buns 2010/01/21 17:04:14 (permalink)
    "The Cozy" is charging 75 cents for a hamburger?

How much meat are they using? 2 ounces, at most I'd think.

The White Castle is higher than 75 cents per burger aren't they?

I'd love to go in this direction, but at 75 cents each, it's going to take a lot of burgers to make a living. LOL

Right now ground beef  81/19 is running $2.03 a lb.

So at 2 ounces per burger the cost is 25 cents plus the bun, and onion so your talking total cost with no overhead and no labor 50 cents per burger. WOW

And sell them for 75 cents??? I'd need a bigger truck. LOL
    Dr of BBQ
    Filet Mignon
    Re:mini hamburger buns/slider buns 2010/01/21 17:08:40 (permalink)
    CCinNJ

White Mana Mission accomplished.

I will post the complete report tomorrow afternoon.

OUTSTANDING!
    Foodbme
    Porterhouse
    • Total Posts : 10270
    Re:mini hamburger buns/slider buns 2010/01/21 17:43:36 (permalink)
    Out here in God's Country, we have Kings Hawaiian Slider Buns. I don't know how far East they distribute them, but if you contact them, they probably would tell you. If you can get them, it will set you apart from the competition.
    They offer a "Hawaiian Sweet' Roll" & a "Savory Butter" Roll. Both are excellent for Sliders. They have a very unique Recipe Section on their web site with some very creative slider recipes including a Cheesesteak one! Check 'em out!
    http://www.kingshawaiian.com/
    Dr of BBQ
    Filet Mignon
    Re:mini hamburger buns/slider buns 2010/01/21 18:01:06 (permalink)
    According to their web site KH are carried in 3 or 4 stores here in town. So I'll get some tonight on my way home and make some sliders after work. Very cool thanks for the tip, and link.

Jack

Oh this sounds good

Royal Roast Beef Panini

• Deli sliced roast beef
    • 8 slices sharp Cheddar cheese
    • 2 green jalapeno chilies, diced
    • 2 medium tomatoes, diced
    • 1 (16 oz.) round loaf, King's Hawaiian Sweet Bread
    Preparation
    1. Preheat your panini sandwich press.
    2. Cut four one-inch thick vertical slices into the King's Hawaiian round loaf and cut each slice in half (symmetrically). Layer roast beef, cheddar, chilies and tomatoes on four half-slices of bread (equally distribute each, or to taste).
    3. Top with remaining half-slices of bread and place sandwiches into the press.
    4. Depending on the heat, remove after 2-4 minutes.
    5. Serve immediately.
    Makes 4 full-sized sandwiches.

post edited by Dr of BBQ - 2010/01/21 18:17:44
    Page: 123 > Showing page 1 of 3
    Jump to:
    © 2014 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1