need breakfast menu please help

Author
wingdingman
Junior Burger
  • Total Posts : 13
2006/12/16 11:42:53 (permalink)

need breakfast menu please help

i am starting a catering truck business. i will have a truck that has a griddle-steam table-holding oven. from this i am looking for simple but great breakfast menu . even though i hav griddle i am trying not to cook to order because ill be running a route in industrial area it will be used to pre cook food and keep it stocked up.any ideas?

18 Replies Related Threads

Big_g
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 358
    RE: need breakfast menu please help 2006/12/16 11:56:13 (permalink)
    Breakfast taco/burrito...egg,potato, bacon, and cheese or other combo. served with salsa packets. Pancake wrapped around a sausage link, w/a paket of syrup.
    tiki
    Filet Mignon
    • Total Posts : 4140
    RE: need breakfast menu please help 2006/12/16 12:58:25 (permalink)
    dont forget breakfast sandwhiches---on english muffins/biscuits,hawaian bread rolls,crescents.toast--whatever---with egg,cheese,ham,sausage,bacon combos---make em up--wrap em up and stick em in the warmer.
    salsailsa
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 405
    RE: need breakfast menu please help 2006/12/16 14:32:25 (permalink)
    As mentioned, definately egg/bacon/sausage/ham/cheese type breakfast sandwich combinations and a breakfast burrito. I like the idea of sausage battered with pancake batter- you could do it on a stick like a corndog. Easy to eat on the run.

I'd also do toasted bagels, have a couple of muffins people can grab on the run and either a fruit cup or a fruit yogurt parfait cup as a healthy option.
    dreamzpainter
    Double Chili Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 1609
    RE: need breakfast menu please help 2006/12/16 19:09:14 (permalink)
    eggs pretty much have to be cooked to order but thats fairly quick with a hot griddle (personally I wouldnt order a 2nd time if the eggs where precooked like a buffett), bacon and sausage can be cooked and kept warm on the side. single serv boxes of cereal and small bottles of milk, variaty of juices and of course tea and coffee.
    My wifes store sells 2 eggs any style, 3 slices of bacon or sausage in a half pita for $1.99, one slice of cheese is free as are hot peppers, tomato chunks or raw onions an extra egg is .50, these brkfst sandwichs FLY out the door with 200 a day being average and upto 300+ on weekends. The griddle is probably close to the same size as in your mobile unit
    Adjudicator
    Sirloin
    • Total Posts : 5065
    RE: need breakfast menu please help 2006/12/17 09:06:14 (permalink)
    Idea: Keep a crockpot full of some decent country pepper gravy with sausage (Jimmy Dean's has excellent pre-cooked sausage patties available to the food industry, BTW.). Serve with a couple of biscuits in a bowl. Dreamzpainter has the right idea about eggs, IMO also. The pita sandwich combo he describes has got to be the deal of the month. I would go for the gusto with the "loaded" three egg version. Egg rings may also be helpful in cooking same on the grill, if nothing else to help keep things organized.
    roossy90
    Sirloin
    • Total Posts : 6695
    RE: need breakfast menu please help 2006/12/19 16:28:19 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by tiki

dont forget breakfast sandwhiches---on english muffins/biscuits,hawaian bread rolls,crescents.toast--whatever---with egg,cheese,ham,sausage,bacon combos---make em up--wrap em up and stick em in the warmer.

I love the idea of the Hawaiian rolls.
    The little ones would make a perfect breakfast sandwich.
    tiki
    Filet Mignon
    • Total Posts : 4140
    RE: need breakfast menu please help 2006/12/19 21:06:25 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by roossy90

quote:
    Originally posted by tiki

I love the idea of the Hawaiian rolls.
    The little ones would make a perfect breakfast sandwich.

actually Hawaiin bread is Portugese sweet bread--brought by sailors---and in New England they make a bun about the size of a large burger bun or Kaiser roll--makes KILLER breakfast sandwiches and was very popular on the "Roach coaches" i ate out of on construstion sites in southern New England.
    yuppicide
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 219
    RE: need breakfast menu please help 2007/01/01 23:40:23 (permalink)
    I suggest thinking of something unique.. make your breakfast truck stand out among the others. Have people talking about you long after you are gone someday. They'll be on places like this website saying "Remember wingdingman's breakfast truck..."
    J2A8Y
    Junior Burger
    • Total Posts : 10
    RE: need breakfast menu please help 2007/01/02 14:32:26 (permalink)
    Sell doughnuts and coffee rolls. Purchase from a vendor or doughnut shop.
    Ice coffee
    buttrdish
    Hamburger
    • Total Posts : 81
    RE: need breakfast menu please help 2007/01/02 15:08:55 (permalink)
    Check out todays restaurant review, the breakfast Bobby! Sounds wonderful to me!! Cousin Jenny's - Traverse City, MI
    Rick F.
    • Total Posts : 1736
    RE: need breakfast menu please help 2007/01/02 15:48:44 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by Adjudicator

Idea: Keep a crockpot full of some decent country pepper gravy with sausage (Jimmy Dean's has excellent pre-cooked sausage patties available to the food industry, BTW.). Serve with a couple of biscuits in a bowl.
    I'm almost with Adjudicator. Jimmy Dean's sausage seems to me to be way too lean for good gravy. I like Williams (from Woodland Mills, TN) and Owens; and there are many others. Make your own the night before, using bulk hot breakfast sausage, S & P, maybe a few extra red pepper flakes, flour, and milk. Do a little trial and error on the seasoning and when you're satisfied, advertise it as "The WingDing's own Secret Sausage Gravy," or something on that order. It'll be good and you'll be telling the truth!
    BakersBoy
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 302
    RE: need breakfast menu please help 2007/01/02 17:03:17 (permalink)
    The folks that you are serving to will probably not want an plate and a spoon or fork. They will most likley want something that they can take away in a piece of wax paper. I have been there. The breakfast burrito is a great idea, make sure you have fresh eggs, chorizo,and a really good salsa. They do this at White Sands and you could not ask for anything better. Secondly, you have to have all of the egg sandwiches and you have to do them well. If you do not then I am as likley to stop at Mcd's then I am at your truck. The problem you have is that you have to make them first and then deliver them. Go to your nearest conveinence store at five in the morning and see how they do it. Thirdly, you have to have beverages and I mean the gamut. Coffee (of course), tea, juice(all of them from cranberry to orange) and sodas, you will be amazed by the number of people who want pop for breakfast. Forth, throw some hotdogs (good quality), on the griddle you will be surprised by how many people want a dog for breakfast.

Good luck. You are engaging in tough task. I hope all goes well for you.

BB PS. Oh and do not forget the pastries and the snacks.
    keen5
    Junior Burger
    • Total Posts : 24
    RE: need breakfast menu please help 2007/01/04 11:18:46 (permalink)
    We have a truck that comes in the morning and at lunch. The back of the truck opens and the top holds warm sandwiches, egg/potato/sausage plates, etc. The bottom is like a steam table and he has everything in there from sauerkraut/mashed potatoes to lasagna and so on. You would not believe how many people go for the sauerkraut/potatoes at 9AM!! He also has sausage/cheese sandwiches, hot dogs, burgers and more that he sells from the truck. He changes his hot dishes regularly.
    AndreaB
    • Total Posts : 1303
    RE: need breakfast menu please help 2007/01/04 11:58:12 (permalink)
    There's a breakfast / lunch truck that comes around to many of the farms where I live and they sell a lot of hard boiled eggs and cinnamon buns. They also sell sausage links wrapped in pancakes like hot dogs and offer maple or blueberry syrup for the sausage dogs if the customer so desires.

Andrea
    IansMom
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 395
    RE: need breakfast menu please help 2007/01/04 12:50:30 (permalink)
    what about offering the breakfast burritos with ham, breakfast sausage and also bacon... that could mix it up.. and offer a fresh salsa, not a cooked... also I love the green salsa that might be an idea also...
    genewj
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 370
    RE: need breakfast menu please help 2007/01/04 21:10:59 (permalink)
    We do a Breakfast sandwich on Grilled Texas Toast,fried egg, cheese and u'r choice of bacon,sausage or ham. Do a breakfast burrito with same "stuff".. Biscuits and Sausage gravy..

Our coffee seller is a killer..I spend the extra Bux, go to Starbucks buy their beans and Sell coffee made with Starbucks BEANS.
    DO NOT CALL IT STARBUCKS COFFEE!!
    ctfrasier
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 253
    RE: need breakfast menu please help 2007/01/10 23:40:44 (permalink)
    Biscuits are almost always a winner. They're tasty and portable as well as being inexpensive. But good coffee might be the key. My dad stopped at Waffle House for years just because he liked the coffee. I like BakersBoy's idea about hot dogs. If you're in an industrial area you'll have some third shifters getting off work and not looking for breakfast. I'd stay pretty basic as folks might be reluctant to buy anything too exotic off a truck. Regardless of what you sell I wish you much success!
    wingdingman
    Junior Burger
    • Total Posts : 13
    RE: need breakfast menu please help 2007/01/23 20:11:18 (permalink)
    great ideas everyone.
    my truck will have everything from griddle-steam table-holding oven- and much more if you want to get an idea you can see it at aa catering truck just google it. these trucks have everything. as for the suggestion about coffee i do not drink myself but i am planning to have a great coffee on board i know its the little stuff like that keeps people coming back. most foods i want to keep simple or pre make just a few hours before although its a kitchen on wheels i want to have 5 to 6 selections a day and change menu daily. sorry i havent responded recently but ive not been feeling well. i hope you all keep those ideas coming its been a great help
    Jump to:
    © 2014 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1