need help with cart need nsf speci

Author
Rick513
Junior Burger
  • Total Posts : 20
2013/02/09 00:40:55 (permalink)

need help with cart need nsf speci

I have cart that has been built by someone and ilm trying pass the inspection can someone help what should I do I only have trailer title

14 Replies Related Threads

jcheese
    Double Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 759
    Re:need help with cart need nsf speci 2013/02/09 11:35:13 (permalink)
    Ask your Health Dept.
    bellehill
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 135
    Re:need help with cart need nsf speci 2013/02/09 13:27:34 (permalink)
    have you ran it thru yet.

Rick513
    Junior Burger
    Re:need help with cart need nsf speci 2013/02/09 13:45:16 (permalink)
    I need a manufacturer specif sheet showing nsf certifcation for equip and finisheds for floor and wall and ceiling. But its a hotdog cart and I want to bring it upto code I don't want to sell ir
    Rick513
    Junior Burger
    Re:need help with cart need nsf speci 2013/02/09 13:46:26 (permalink)
    I need a manufacturer specif sheet showing nsf certifcation for equip and finisheds for floor and wall and ceiling. But its a hotdog cart and I want to bring it upto code I don't want to sell ir no I didn.t run it thur
    jcheese
    Double Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 759
    Re:need help with cart need nsf speci 2013/02/09 15:55:37 (permalink)
    Ask the manufacturer.
    THE WILD DOG
    Double Chili Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 1465
    Re:need help with cart need nsf speci 2013/02/09 16:11:16 (permalink)
    whos' the manufacturer ???   NSF will only be visable on items/equipment that has been certified, and you can't get it certified unless you have deep pockets, however the alternative is UL listed ( double I know )  and most HD people will pass something if it's 304 stainless as well.
    crepeflipper
    Junior Burger
    • Total Posts : 18
    Re:need help with cart need nsf speci 2013/02/09 16:35:23 (permalink)
    NSF applies to equipment, not to a whole cart or restaurant.  A cart is never an "NSF" cart.  The HD is used to inspecting buildings, not trailers, so you have to help them translate what you have into what they are looking for.  A finish schedule for floors and walls lets them know what they are made of so they can verify that they can be cleaned and sanitized.  For a cart you'd better have stainless steel in the food prep and storage areas.    If this thing is homebuilt out of wood or painted laminate you might have a problem.  Cold storage needs to be cleanable and food grade plastic.  You can't use tupperware or walmart stuff unless it is commercial quality and says NSF on it.  Go look at some cambro stuff at your local restuarant supply.
    Sanitizing, hot holding temperatures, cold storage and hand washing are critical areas in any state.  You need good answers to these before you try and get inspected.

Sorry, no real shortcuts here.  
    djdawg
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 439
    Re:need help with cart need nsf speci 2013/02/09 19:11:15 (permalink)
    Rick, you're asking the wrong people.  It's like asking us how many fingers you're holding up...unless we are there we can't help you.  Like everyone said, you need to contact the cart manuf for specifics AND contact your local health dept to see what they require you to have on your cart to operate.
    Rick513
    Junior Burger
    Re:need help with cart need nsf speci 2013/02/09 22:37:17 (permalink)
    Thank you guys for help the cart is made of 304 stainless steel 4 sinks 2 burners 5 gal fresh water tank and 7.5 waste waster tank and it's gravity but I want to switch to pumps and hot water heater and the cart is home made and that's the problem I need speci I will post pics once I learn how to .
    Rick513
    Junior Burger
    Re:need help with cart need nsf speci 2013/02/11 04:25:25 (permalink)
    Hey good news I found out more about this cart its a concession cart company it.s he gladiator model has anyone done business with this company
    brickboo
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 330
    Re:need help with cart need nsf speci 2013/02/11 11:32:08 (permalink)
    I have the "Patagonia"  that I bought practically brand new not even a scratch on it for $2500 from a fellow that used it maybe 3 or 4 times. It just wasn't the business he thought it would be I guess.
    It leaves a bit to be desired on the finishing touches. Some corners on the condiments tray were not finished very good. Could tear someone's clothes. The corners never were riveted together. The two pieces just meet. You can pull them away from one another.

I called the Manufacturer before I purchased it and he said there was no wood under the cart. It's not true. The compartment holding the two propane tanks is like partical board. This cart like I've said, looked brand new and when I looked inside the propane compartment the paint matches the stainless steel perfect. In the light of the building it was in when I examined it, I could't tell it was a wood product.

When it got cold, in November I can't remember the temp, after an hour the water was still not boiling. I had to change the "Orifice." It works fine now.

The man who I bought the cart from said the wiring was running through holes drilled through the frame and he rewired it and put nylon bushings in the hole in the metal because the wiring was running against the metal and was showing wear and he hardly towed it at all. He also changed the water lines and the waste water tank. So, I can't say anything about that. He was a meticulous  person. The holes drilled for lighting the burner were not sanded down very well. I wouldn't rub my finger around in it.

It looks great but the people building it are not meticulous enough for me. Maybe they are too busy building too many carts. Who knows?

hella good tacos
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 121
    Re:need help with cart need nsf speci 2013/02/11 23:11:25 (permalink)
    Hi Ricks

Might i suggest you take a Servsafe or similar food prep/ sanitation course.  Many states require them any way and it would greatly help you understand much of what the health department is going to be looking for. 

You could save a few bucks and just buy one of their books online (they make new versions regularly but anything published in the last 10 years is going to be current enough for you,)  for cheap.  If your state reauires the certification like mine does, you are going to need it anyhow.

Aside from Stainless steel, for cleanable- health department approved- surfaces, aluminum can be an option also. It's usually much cheaper than stainless and can be easier to find.  The health department wants you to use anything that is smooth and cleanable.  No porus or grainy surfaces that bacteria, food particles, or other potentially hazardous things can get trapped in and grow.  

also a solid spellcheck could be useful as i am (and perhaps others are too) having a tough time discerning what you are asking in some of your posts..

best of luck
    josh
    post edited by hella good tacos - 2013/02/11 23:15:52
    Rick513
    Junior Burger
    Re:need help with cart need nsf speci 2013/02/14 04:39:23 (permalink)
    Thanks for the help I really want to know about the company that made my cart I got everything else under control and sorry for bad spelling I'm on a tablet .
    chefbuba
    Double Chili Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 2011
    Re:need help with cart need nsf speci 2013/02/14 10:33:39 (permalink)
    Does that tablet have a comma or period key?
    Jump to:
    © 2014 APG vNext Trial Version 5.1