need suggestions on Morton's visit

Author
danimal15
Double Chili Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 1092
2004/11/17 13:37:32 (permalink)

need suggestions on Morton's visit

I'm going to the original Morton's in Chicago tonight. Any recommendations on whether to order the NY strip or the Porterhouse? I'm debating which to get.

Thanks,

Dan

19 Replies Related Threads

Michael Hoffman
    Double-chop Porterhouse
    • Total Posts : 18276
    RE: need suggestions on Morton's visit 2004/11/17 14:13:57 (permalink)
    Dan, I've had both at the Morton's in Columbus, and I prefer the strip. My grandson, on the other hand, prefers the porterhouse -- but he's only 16, so what would he know.
    mayor al
    Fire Safety Admin
    • Total Posts : 15185
    RE: need suggestions on Morton's visit 2004/11/17 15:02:42 (permalink)
    I did the Porterhouse at the Louisville store. The steak was fine, the service (or lack of it) is what made the evening a failure.
    carlton pierre
    • Total Posts : 2500
    RE: need suggestions on Morton's visit 2004/11/17 15:10:52 (permalink)
    I was at Morton's in Chicago some years ago. As I recall, don't they bring the selections to your table for you to choose? If so, I think I'd wait until that moment.
    I'd be curious to know what your meal costs. I spent around $350 for 6 of us 10 years ago. Included drinks and wine, etc

carl reitz
    tsores
    Double Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 655
    RE: need suggestions on Morton's visit 2004/11/17 15:11:37 (permalink)
    My guess is either would be fine. I would prefer the Porterhouse as I have had many more strip steaks in my time.
    lleechef
    Sirloin
    • Total Posts : 6653
    RE: need suggestions on Morton's visit 2004/11/17 15:39:30 (permalink)
    I've been to Morton's in Boston several times. Both cuts were good, but not excellent. I find it annoying to have the waiter wheel a cart of raw meat in front of me.......I KNOW what they look like before they're cooked, dang it! Enjoy your dinner and report back here!
    danimal15
    RE: need suggestions on Morton's visit 2004/11/18 10:18:49 (permalink)
    Well, I ordered a Porterhouse and wasn't disappointed. It cost $42, but it was definitely worth the price. Probably the best steak I've ever had. The flavor was buttery and the outside was slightly crisp. After consuming all 24 medium rare ounces (aside from the bone, of course), I was sorry I hadn't ordered the 48 ouncer. There's no doubt I could have polished it off. But that's kind of gluttonous. The service was fine, by the way, although the place is pretty noisy making it hard to hear all the food descriptions. My friends ordered a Chicago ribeye and a N.Y. strip, respectively, and both were happy with the results. We also shared a wonderful salmon appetizer and a rich and satisfying warm chocolate cake for dessert. When the waiter thanked us at the end of our meal, I told him, "See you tomorrow." I was just joking, of course, but I'd be happy to go every night if it weren't for the price ($230 before the tip for three of us)
    Jennifer_4
    • Total Posts : 1508
    RE: need suggestions on Morton's visit 2004/11/18 11:55:00 (permalink)
    Glad to hear you enjoyed Morton's ..but it makes me ever more grateful for our favorite local steakhouse, Cattlemen's.. 26 dollars will get you 32 oz of the best porterhouse cooked to perfection, on a bed of crispy onion strings along with baked potato and all you can eat salad, bread, and beans.. yum!
    Rustywolf
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 176
    RE: need suggestions on Morton's visit 2004/11/18 14:29:22 (permalink)
    You know, I hate to interject an element of uncertainty into your visit, but when I was at the Schaumberg (Ill.) Morton's, there was a linebacker-sized fellow with the face of a hitman sitting at a corner table. I watched as his waitress brought him over a humongous slab of charred prime rib. I didn't even know it was on the menu (and it may well be a request only item for those in the know). My ribeye looked pathetic in comparison. - Rusty
    carlton pierre
    • Total Posts : 2500
    RE: need suggestions on Morton's visit 2004/11/18 15:15:44 (permalink)
    Danimal, what caused you to rder the porterhouse, and when did you decide?

carl reitz
    danimal15
    RE: need suggestions on Morton's visit 2004/11/18 15:43:04 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by carlton pierre

Danimal, what caused you to rder the porterhouse, and when did you decide?

carl reitz

I can't really explain it. I've just had Porterhouse on my mind lately. I've had so many NY strips over the years and I wanted to try something different. Now my friend's NY strip looked wonderful, but it didn't make me regret ordering the Porterhouse. Only one thing - I'd guess there was more meat in the NY strip, because it lacked a bone. So maybe I would have gotten more for my money that way.
    verysleepy
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 107
    RE: need suggestions on Morton's visit 2004/11/24 12:43:12 (permalink)
    Hi there. At least in regard to NY- Morton's NY Strip is preferred by me- as there is less waste, and the taste is superb.

For the best porterhouse- Peter Luger's in Brooklyn. There is no comparison- except- since they like to serve family style- the person you are eating with had better like their steak cooked the same as you. Too bad I don't get there that often.

Sundancer7
    Fire Safety Admin
    • Total Posts : 13477
    RE: need suggestions on Morton's visit 2004/11/24 12:56:04 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by danimal15

Well, I ordered a Porterhouse and wasn't disappointed. It cost $42, but it was definitely worth the price. Probably the best steak I've ever had. The flavor was buttery and the outside was slightly crisp. After consuming all 24 medium rare ounces (aside from the bone, of course), I was sorry I hadn't ordered the 48 ouncer. There's no doubt I could have polished it off. But that's kind of gluttonous. The service was fine, by the way, although the place is pretty noisy making it hard to hear all the food descriptions. My friends ordered a Chicago ribeye and a N.Y. strip, respectively, and both were happy with the results. We also shared a wonderful salmon appetizer and a rich and satisfying warm chocolate cake for dessert. When the waiter thanked us at the end of our meal, I told him, "See you tomorrow." I was just joking, of course, but I'd be happy to go every night if it weren't for the price ($230 before the tip for three of us)

The Sundancer ordered the 24 ounce porterhouse at Mortons and I was not able to consume the entire thing. I ask my waiter if he sold very many of the 48 ounce jobs. He responded that he had sold four that very evening to four skinny Japanese guys. They ate every ounce plus a huge baked potato each, four bottles of wine, their veggies and four huge cigars. Beats me how they did it.

Paul E. Smith
    Knoxville, TN
    robicheaux
    Hamburger
    • Total Posts : 99
    RE: need suggestions on Morton's visit 2004/12/25 14:23:19 (permalink)
    I like the veal chop, don't miss the House Salad, and order your Souflee(Spelling?( early)
    berndog
    Double Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 674
    RE: need suggestions on Morton's visit 2004/12/25 16:00:02 (permalink)
    quote:
    The Sundancer ordered the 24 ounce porterhouse at Mortons and I was not able to consume the entire thing. I ask my waiter if he sold very many of the 48 ounce jobs. He responded that he had sold four that very evening to four skinny Japanese guys. They ate every ounce plus a huge baked potato each, four bottles of wine, their veggies and four huge cigars. Beats me how they did it.

Paul,Jay Leno had a very petite thin Asian woman on about a week ago who is a champion at many of the "all you can eat as fast as you can" competitions. This skinny little gal out-eats huge guys who look like they could swallow her in one bite. I don't mean to imply that those of Asian culture are big eaters, but that thin people can often out eat their husky counterparts. I've seen this happen before with some of the skinniest guys in our big band out eating the big guys easily.

What I want to know is, how do they eat so much and stay so skinny?

That s the part I find harder and harder to do.
    brentk
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 251
    RE: need suggestions on Morton's visit 2004/12/25 17:39:49 (permalink)
    Is anybody else as dismayed by Morton's as I am?

I think it is about everything that is wrong is American restaurants. From exaggerated portion size, to uniformity, to lack of culinary experimentation, to macho bravado... I could go on and on.

Sure the steaks are great but I can cook a great steak at home, too.

I have only been a couple of times and each time on somebody else's nickel, thank God.

What really gets me is when they come by with a raw head of broccoli to provide you with an uncooked preview of your dinner. I just don't need to see all the raw ingredients, thanks very much.

Give me a chef-centric restaurant where I can taste individual creativity anytime.

rbpalmer
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 469
    RE: need suggestions on Morton's visit 2005/02/07 10:01:52 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by Brent Kulman

I think it is about everything that is wrong is American restaurants. From exaggerated portion size, to uniformity, to lack of culinary experimentation, to macho bravado... I could go on and on.

I have only been a couple of times and each time on somebody else's nickel, thank God.

What really gets me is when they come by with a raw head of broccoli to provide you with an uncooked preview of your dinner. I just don't need to see all the raw ingredients, thanks very much.

Give me a chef-centric restaurant where I can taste individual creativity anytime.

I'm sure that there are many others who are as dismayed at Morton's as you are. I'm also sure that there are many others who are dismayed that there ISN'T a Morton's (or other upscale steak house) in their area. That's the great thing about dining out in this country -- there is a sufficient variety of cuisines and restaurants to make just about anybody happy. I, too, like eating at good "chef-centric restaurants where I can taste individual creativity." But sometimes I just want a great steak, and a top steak house can do a better job of providing that than I or most other diners can at home. The reasons for this are threefold. First, the steak houses have access to a higher grade of meat (USDA Prime) than what is available at the corner grocery store (USDA Choice). That means a higher degree of fat "marbling," which means increased taste and tenderness. Granted, more fat is not good health-wise, but I eat beef so rarely (2-4 times a year) that when I do indulge, I want the best and am not overly concerned about the consequences. Second, the top steak houses "dry age" their beef for anywhere from a few days to two weeks under controlled conditions for better flavor. Finally, the steak houses broil their meat at temperatures that ovens in most peoples' homes cannot attain (up to 1800 degrees Fahrenheit). This sears the outside, thereby sealing in the juices while cooking the interior to the desired degree of "done-ness."

As for the huge portions served at Morton's, my feeling is that that's what "doggie-bags" are for. And if you (and lleechef and anyone else) don't like the raw food display, you can ask the maitre d to tell your waiter to skip the floor show and just come over and take your order.
    robicheaux
    Hamburger
    • Total Posts : 99
    RE: need suggestions on Morton's visit 2005/02/07 10:24:37 (permalink)
    Morton's has been & will always be a great place to eat on an expense account! I will cherish my meals there forever!
    MetroplexJim
    Filet Mignon
    • Total Posts : 4009
    RE: need suggestions on Morton's visit 2007/07/06 07:47:28 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by brentk

I've been to Morton's in Georgetown, Tyson's Corner, Orlando, and Dallas and never had an unworthy piece of meat. (Something I can't say about Ruth's Chris). Yes, it is pricey but if you go easy on the booze, wine, and desserts two can dine well for $100 + tip. And unlike Peter Luger's they all take plastic.

Here are some excellent "chef-centric" places: Ray's the Steaks in Arlington, VA, Chamberlain's in Addison (North Dallas), Randy's in Frisco, TX, Goodhue's in McKinney. TX and my personal favorite for this "class": The Kissimmee Steak Company on 404 near Orlando.

Lighten up and enjoy! A boozeless Morton's costs no more (and often less) than a full splurge at any one of these wonderful "chef-centric" establishments.
    Mack184
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 252
    RE: need suggestions on Morton's visit 2007/07/11 09:37:41 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by Sundancer7

quote:
    Originally posted by danimal15

Paul E. Smith
    Knoxville, TN

It's seems that it's ALWAYS the skinny guys who can do the big eating!
    Jump to:
    © 2014 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1