The most memorable local eateries along the highways and back roads of America
Sign In | Register for Free!
Restaurants Recipes Forums EatingTours Merchandise FAQ Maps Insider

new bbq location

drsmoke02

• Total Posts: 250
new bbq location Thu, 03/2/06 3:42 PM (permalink)
I'm going to be opening another bbq location in about 6 mo. i'd like to hear some ideas of the way you would have the interior look,menu musts,etc.

hefried

• Total Posts: 367
    RE: new bbq location Thu, 03/2/06 3:46 PM (permalink)
    i dug the fried dill pickles i had a bbq joint in oklahoma. the is not a common menu item around here, but you could add that to your menu.....

foodmama

• Total Posts: 9
      RE: new bbq location Thu, 03/2/06 8:44 PM (permalink)
      I just went to a great bbq place in my town and the decor was funky and kitchy - lots of old license plates and road signs all over the walls. cool rustic furniture and a handy roll of paper towels on each table. the only decor mistake was carpet!! ick! should have had worn (or made-to-look-worn) wood floors. nothing screams "airport lounge" more than a carpeted restaurant!!

good luck with your place!

Greymo

• Total Posts: 3663
        RE: new bbq location Thu, 03/2/06 10:12 PM (permalink)
        quote:
        Originally posted by drsmoke02

I'm going to be opening another bbq location in about 6 mo. i'd like to hear some ideas of the way you would have the interior look,menu musts,etc.

Sweet Potato Fries, for sure!

Good homemade potato salad

good quality paper napkins

free refills on the ice tea

hefried

• Total Posts: 367
          RE: new bbq location Fri, 03/3/06 2:52 AM (permalink)
          actually, i have more to say....... iused to frequent a bbq place that had all kinds of delicious sauces, including that beautiful mustard based ( i think it's called ) north carolina bbqv sauce.... um,mmmmmmmmmm soo goood.
          but then they changed ownership and started using canned/frozen/ bottled sides dishes that SUCKED SO BAD aNd cost the same as the good homemadestuff. last time iwent there they served... normally my FAVE.... side dish mac & cheese & it was fully COLD!!!!!!! and I asked/told them to heat it up and when they "did" it wasn't even warm and SO SO SO obviousllllllly canned/frozen/bottled and NOT MADE THERE that I was totally disgusted and haven't been there since,,,,,,, i aint payin'
          good money fer !@#$!@#$!@#!!!

it's NOT just the meat that's important a BBQ's it's also the sides... including them yuumy dillpickles! gooood luck!

Jimeats

• Total Posts: 3175
            RE: new bbq location Fri, 03/3/06 7:23 AM (permalink)
            He didn't get enough aggrivation from the first spot. Guess he wants to spread his warm feeling of hospitality thruout the state of Md. Chow Jim

Fieldthistle

• Total Posts: 1948
              RE: new bbq location Fri, 03/3/06 8:56 AM (permalink)
              Hello All,
              drsmoke02, where will your second location be? Near the 1st one or are
              you branching out into a place that has no bbq places? I believe you once
              wrote you were near Gettsyburg.
              If it is near Gettsyburg, try a Civil War theme. If near, Valley Forge,
              go for a Revolutionary War theme. I like history as you can tell.
              Signs and pictures of pigs and cows have been a bit over done, in my sorry opinion.
              A dignified pioneer or colonial type of decor would be neat since you are in the mid-atlantic region.
              As far as food, you are the expert. I'm too old fashioned. When I have any meat
              product, I like a potato side dish or bean. Wonder how a special rice side would go
              with bbq?
              Anyway, good luck with the new location, and keep us informed about when and where
              the opening will be. I'm in Rockingham County, Va. and might be able to make it up
              when you cut the ribbon on your new place.
              Take Care,
              Fieldthistle

roossy90

• Total Posts: 6695
                RE: new bbq location Fri, 03/3/06 1:43 PM (permalink)
                I am with Greymo..
                Sweet potato fries, and GOOD napkins.
                I think it is worth the extra cost for a heavier duty napkin, instead of using a million cheap ones!

Another idea is a appetizer version of your ribs. I used to frequent a place and get that and another appetizer or a salad when I wasn't that hungry. They used to call it a "Rib Taster", but I always called it a "rib Teaser".

drsmoke02

• Total Posts: 250
                  RE: new bbq location Fri, 03/3/06 1:47 PM (permalink)
                  quote:
                  Originally posted by roossy90

I am with Greymo..
                  I think it is worth the extra cost for a heavier duty napkin, instead of using a million cheap ones!

Another idea is a appetizer version of your ribs. I used to frequent a place and get that and another appetizer or a salad when I wasn't that hungry. They used to call it a "Rib Taster", but I always called it a "rib Teaser".

Greymo,

how many ribs made up the"rib teaser"?

Captain Morgan

• Total Posts: 503
                    RE: new bbq location Fri, 03/3/06 2:06 PM (permalink)
                    What region are you in? There is no universal bbq theme you can use just anywhere. KC, Texas and NC are very different. Some q joints here in the Carolina's have pictures of Andy Griffith and Barney Fife,
                    which are very popular. That wouldn't fly so much in KC or Texas however.

roossy90

RE: new bbq location Fri, 03/3/06 2:09 PM (permalink)
                      quote:
                      Originally posted by drsmoke02

quote:
                      Originally posted by roossy90

I am with Greymo..

Greymo,

how many ribs made up the"rib teaser"?

Actually, it is me, Roossy90.. Tara..
                      They had 4-5 baby backs, as they didnt serve the larger type ribs.
                      They charged $7.99 for the teaser, and $12.99 for the half rack of babies. It was in Maine, and they were very expensive. $21.99 for a full rack. Outrageous. They also charged $7.50 for a pork or beef sandwich with 2 sides. :Shudder:.. Glad I am gone from there and in South Carolina now.
                      I know some places serve a half pound or a pound of the larger ribs.
                      One other place that I worked in Fla, had a senior citizens special with ribs.. LOL.. It was 2 st louis style ribs with 3 sides..Aint much eating there. LOL.
                      So, it is something to think about with what you now serve as far as ribs go and what type of ribs.
                      I think it works best with baby backs, since the other ribs are generally cheaper to begin with. I prefer the st louis type myself, but had to settle for the baby backs, since that was all that they sold there.
                      I prefer the meatier ribs myself.
                      Just a thought, Drsmoke!
                      But something to think about anyway.
                      Tara

roossy90

RE: new bbq location Fri, 03/3/06 2:11 PM (permalink)
                        And, I also liked Fieldthistles "geographical" interior design idea.
                        Something unique to the area, but not klitchy or cheesy.

Burgerman1

• Total Posts: 51
                          RE: new bbq location Fri, 03/3/06 8:08 PM (permalink)
                          I have also been exploring the idea of a BBQ place, but it would be my 4th or 5th addition, depending on how you look at it...lol. I would be glad to discuss ideas with you.

I also have a friend that is looking at Bad Bob's BBQ franchise. I am somewhat impressed with his offering and concept, but don't think it would work in NC, but you may want to consider it. Also look at the Rib Tips as an appetizer.

The thing I have noticed about BBQ places and professional BBQ people, they are all conceited, they think they have the best bbq, the best sauce, the best slaw, etc. etc. Truth be known they are probably only appealing to the segement of people that agree with him/her. Everyone's taste vary on BBQ.

My idea would be simple. Send the Q out on a plate with generous portions. Then have a buffet bar to where the customer can chose their sides...baked potato, fries, corn, baked beans, onion rings, hushpuppies, etc.

This would allow another thing that would be unique. I would have several different types of sauces....mild, smokey, hot, sweet, vinegar based...etc There would also be a selection of coleslaws...regular slaw, marinated slaw, bbq slaw and maybe a hot slaw.

You would save labor costs by doing this, but of course increase food costs, but i think the trade-off would be well worth it. If you have a good high quality meat, and a great selection of sauces then you will to a much larger audience.

If you want to talk...my e-mail is hblack100@birch.net

Howard

davidsbest

• Total Posts: 5
                            RE: new bbq location Tue, 03/7/06 9:10 AM (permalink)
                            BBQ is outdoor food of the old West and should be eaten in an environment which is conducive to its origins. When you walk in the door, you know you are smelling and revisiting the times when it originated. Think about it when designing your interior. Where do you want your customers eating?

Online Bookmarks Sharing: Share/Bookmark

Jump to:

Current active users

There are 0 members and 1 guests.

Icon Legend and Permission

• New Messages
                              • No New Messages
                              • Hot Topic w/ New Messages
                              • Hot Topic w/o New Messages
                              • Locked w/ New Messages
                              • Locked w/o New Messages
                              • Read Message
                              • Post New Thread
                              • Reply to message
                              • Post New Poll
                              • Submit Vote
                              • Post reward post
                              • Delete my own posts
                              • Delete my own threads
                              • Rate post

2000-2014 ASPPlayground.NET Forum Version 3.9
                              What is Roadfood?  |   Privacy Policy  |   Contact Roadfood.com   Copyright 2011 - Roadfood.com