new orleans area foodies?

Author
anitapizza
Junior Burger
  • Total Posts : 9
2010/12/23 12:14:59 (permalink)

new orleans area foodies?

Is there an established roadfood contingency in the new orleans area that I could join?  Or maybe just people who like to go out and eat and check out new (or old) places, dives or fancy or street food? Or simply go out to eat as sort of like a hobby???  I'm looking for some open-minded, fun, food enthusiasts!

10 Replies Related Threads

Foodbme
    Porterhouse
    • Total Posts : 10328
    Re:new orleans area foodies? 2010/12/23 16:22:31 (permalink)
    BuddyRoadhouse
    Filet Mignon
    • Total Posts : 4275
    Re:new orleans area foodies? 2010/12/23 19:02:50 (permalink)
    There are several memebers of The Contingent, a Chicago/Milwaukee based Roadfood group who will be in New Orleans over the Holidays--in fact, they might be there right now!

Try sending PMs to X1, ChuckL50, or quijote.  If they're checking their email they'll get your message and might be interested in joining you.  X1 is a displaced New Orleanian(?) forced to move north by Katrina.  Both ChuckL50 and quijote have spent a significant amount of time in NOLA, and know it quite well.

Keep your eyes open here at Roadfood-there's almost always someone on this board running down to NO, looking for suggestions and good company.  Also, you can take the initiative and  start your own sub-group in your area.  That's how The Contingent started-just a loose group of folks who realized we had common food interests in our two cities.  So we started getting together on a semi-regular basis, gave ourselves a name, and here we are.

Good luck getting together with other Roadfooders.  Next time Mrs. Roadhouse and I are headed your way, we'll send you a PM and try to hook up.

Buddy
    quijote
    Double Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 649
    Re:new orleans area foodies? 2010/12/23 22:18:55 (permalink)
    Buddy's right--give X1, ChuckL, and me a shake; we'll be in NOLA very, very soon. It will be my first time, actually, but my partner's been there before, and X1 and ChuckL know the place with their eyes closed.  MilwFoodLovers have been there several times, too, though they won't be there this time around. I can't believe the new year is coming so quickly, but I think Shrimp and Grits, Boudin, Oysters, and other treats will help make the transition bearable!
    anitapizza
    Junior Burger
    Re:new orleans area foodies? 2011/01/02 11:52:04 (permalink)
    Thanks!  I'm pretty new here and am not sure at this time how to send a PM (actually, I'm not sure exactly what that is,..., Private Message?????)  but i'm going to figure it out and do it!
    BuddyRoadhouse
    Filet Mignon
    • Total Posts : 4275
    Re:new orleans area foodies? 2011/01/02 14:25:26 (permalink)
    You got it; PM=Private Message--and I received yours.  You should be getting my reply as I'm writing this.

Good luck hooking up with The (Mini) Contingent when they're visiting NOLA.  You should have plenty of foodie fun together!

Buddy
    BelleReve
    Double Chili Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 1173
    Re:new orleans area foodies? 2011/01/28 16:32:08 (permalink)
    Anita, are you new to the area?  There's a group of locals who form the "eat club" that meet every month or two at different restaurants.  You can find out more about this by going to www.nomenu.com.  Restaurant critic and cookbook author Tom Fitzmorris manages this website in addition to hosting a weekday radio call in show from 3pm-6pm on radio station 1350 AM.  You can also pick up his broadcasts through his website.  A little mix of everything, including culinary Q and A, restaurant reports, and recipes. 
    anitapizza
    Junior Burger
    Re:new orleans area foodies? 2011/01/31 01:27:14 (permalink)
    Thanks so much for the info!  I'm not at all new to the area but I never knew about the nomenu website and the EatClub.  Sounds fabulous!  I really appreciate your passing that along to me.
    anita
    Foodbme
    Porterhouse
    Re:new orleans area foodies? 2011/01/31 12:54:47 (permalink)
    That www.nomenu.com is terriffic! I signed up for their weekly newsletter. They review and talk about places not normally found on the "Always Publicized and Talked About" Circuit.
    A great find! THANX BelleReve!
    BelleReve
    Double Chili Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 1173
    Re:new orleans area foodies? 2011/02/02 17:43:39 (permalink)
    anita and foodbme, glad to help.  Just curious, foodbme, are you able to listen to the radio show?

anita - I thought of a couple other things - the Southern Food and Beverage Museum in the Riverwalk has Saturday programs with visiting chefs, lectures, demonstrations, etc.  This Sat., Feb 5th there's a workshop  on making St. Joseph's Day altar cookies.  Usually the Friday Lagniappe section, or Saturday's supplemental will list these events, or you can go to their website at http//southernfood.org.

The Garden District Book Store (2727 Prytania St) has a pot luck-dinner, cookbook club, with discussions and sometimes   hosts visiting authors/chefs, sounds interesting.

Foodbme
    Porterhouse
    Re:new orleans area foodies? 2011/02/02 23:12:58 (permalink)
    Belle Reve,
    Didn't know there was a radio show. Didn't see anything on the web site. May be able to stream it in thru my computer.
    Jump to:
    © 2014 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1