nice pretzel surprise

Author
NYNM
Filet Mignon
  • Total Posts : 3053
2005/07/14 00:35:56 (permalink)

nice pretzel surprise

Today I went to a small food shop on W. 14th St. & 6th Ave. in Manhattan and found UNIQUE Splits Pretzels on the shelf!!!!!

These pretzels were my downfall when I lived in Bucks County. PA. I know they are made in Reading PA but the closest East I've seen them was in central New Jersey. Oh my gawd, I'd buy them out! so goooood and crrrrrunchy.

Can anyone identify other outer limits distribution of UNIQUES???

12 Replies Related Threads

Diner-Lover
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 246
    RE: nice pretzel surprise 2005/07/23 17:20:41 (permalink)
    I love Uniques, too-- they're so crunchy, almost as if they'd been fried, but not greasy at all. I live in PA, so I see them everywhere and was snacking on them yesterday, as a matter of fact. I did a Google Search and found their website where you could order some:

http://www.uniquesplits.com/catalog/
    Nemis
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 186
    RE: nice pretzel surprise 2005/07/23 17:37:23 (permalink)
    I just mail ordered pretzels from Martins in PA..i guess they sell their pretzels in the NYC farmers market as well. I got a three pound box and they were packaged in individual packs of 3 pretzels each. Very good..crunchy,sometimes slightly smoky. The only slight compaint is the salt is patchy on the pretzel..many bites no salt and one bit you might get a ton.
    NYNM
    Filet Mignon
    RE: nice pretzel surprise 2005/07/23 18:11:45 (permalink)
    Well, thank you. However, I fear I am addicted!! Yes, UNIQUES are different. (perhaps unique!)
    They sell for $2.99 a bag in NYC. What's the going rate in PA?
    Diner-Lover
    Cheeseburger
    RE: nice pretzel surprise 2005/07/26 11:28:22 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by NYNM

Well, thank you. However, I fear I am addicted!! Yes, UNIQUES are different. (perhaps unique!)

I went to the grocery store yesterday and forgot to check out the price-- there's no price on my current bag of Splits and I can't remember what I paid for them. I'll try to remember to check the next time I shop and let you know then.
    Diner-Lover
    Cheeseburger
    RE: nice pretzel surprise 2005/08/02 14:02:01 (permalink)
    quote:

NYNM, today I checked the price at our local Redner's supermarket and the price on the Uniques pretzels was $1.53.
    Tony Bad
    Fire Safety Admin
    • Total Posts : 5116
    RE: nice pretzel surprise 2005/08/02 14:08:54 (permalink)
    quote:

Today I went to a small food shop on W. 14th St. & 6th Ave. in Manhattan and found UNIQUE Splits Pretzels on the shelf!!!!!

These pretzels were my downfall when I lived in Bucks County. PA. I know they are made in Reading PA but the closest East I've seen them was in central New Jersey. Oh my gawd, I'd buy them out! so goooood and crrrrrunchy.

Can anyone identify other outer limits distribution of UNIQUES???

What is so special about these pretzels? I never tried them, but am always on the lookout for a good pretzel! My current fave among the mass marketed stuff are the Utz Dark Specials. How are thes ediffeerent...and what flavors would you recommend (I see on web site they come in MANY varieties)

Thanks!
    RubyRose
    Double Chili Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 2189
    RE: nice pretzel surprise 2005/08/02 14:43:55 (permalink)
    quote:
    What is so special about these pretzels? I never tried them, but am always on the lookout for a good pretzel! My current fave among the mass marketed stuff are the Utz Dark Specials. How are thes ediffeerent...and what flavors would you recommend (I see on web site they come in MANY varieties)

Thanks!

They are to regular medium thickness pretzels as a Rutt's Hut hot dog is to a steamed ballpark one.
    Diner-Lover
    Cheeseburger
    RE: nice pretzel surprise 2005/08/02 17:10:06 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by Tony Bad

Thanks!

I've tried the fat-free, the cheese splits, regular splits and extra-dark. I like the regular and the cheese splits best, and even the fat-free were tasty. I would probably buy the fat-free splits, but haven't seen them for a while in the stores where I usually shop. (I don't know why they call them "splits"...)

I've tried a lot of brands of pretzels over the years, from thick, hard sourdough to thin pretzel sticks, rods, nuggets, you name it. I can only describe the difference in Uniques by saying that although all mass-marketed pretzels are crunchy, these are sort of crackley-crunchy. They're UNIQUE!
    NYNM
    Filet Mignon
    RE: nice pretzel surprise 2005/08/03 01:25:35 (permalink)
    1. Diner-Lover: Thanks for the comparison shopping on UNIQUES! Only 2X the price in NYC!
    2. I also think they use a different type of wheat; I somehow remember something called "winter wheat" (of course I may have just dreamed it up.....)
    3. I think they are called "splits" becuse they are "split" ie, they have bumps and cracks on them where I guess they "split" when baked. Only adds to the crunch!!!
    4. I like regular and cheese best, too. Some of the other flavors (butter, etc.) aren't really "split" and the darks are just plain burnt; charcoal rubs off on your fingers. (Not that any of this would stop me from devouring a bag, however!)
    5. Maybe we can start a UNIQUE taste-test here: order them from the website and let us know what you think!!!
    1bbqboy
    Filet Mignon
    • Total Posts : 4580
    RE: nice pretzel surprise 2005/08/03 02:32:17 (permalink)
    http://www.answers.com/winter+wheat&r=67
    NYNM
    Filet Mignon
    RE: nice pretzel surprise 2011/05/03 10:08:45 (permalink)
    Well, wow! Just sited the illustrious UNIQUES at my local Whole Foods in Manhattan.
    Maybe they are in other Whole Foods across USA? (If you are lucky)
    missvuster
    Hamburger
    • Total Posts : 69
    RE: nice pretzel surprise 2011/06/09 16:50:36 (permalink)
    Get disneylands mickey pretzels with cheese on the inside!...theyre shaped like mickey mouses!!!

Jump to:
    © 2014 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1