The most memorable local eateries along the highways and back roads of America
Sign In | Register for Free!
Restaurants Recipes Forums EatingTours Merchandise FAQ Maps Insider

non customers soliciting donations

drsmoke02

• Total Posts: 250
non customers soliciting donations Sun, 02/26/06 4:06 PM (permalink)
I just askrd what you would do about non customers who solicit donations.I strongly support all my patrons,however Iget alot from non patrons,what do you do?

dreamzpainter

• Total Posts: 1609
    RE: non customers soliciting donations Sun, 02/26/06 4:43 PM (permalink)
    Do you mean a person standing at your door asking for donations or someone asking to put a donation cannister by your register? I would only allow either if it was a cause I supported and was assured it was legitimate. I can't imagine anyone allowing access to their seated customers.

saps

• Total Posts: 1553
      RE: non customers soliciting donations Sun, 02/26/06 6:18 PM (permalink)
      Non-customers are a scum that must be dispatched quickly. Even if they are potential customers or have never heard of your place, they are non-supportive and should have been at your place months ago. Pay no attention to them.

If you give in to your present customers, they may just continue asking for more. Additionally, as time goes on, some regular customers may find other dining options. Tell them to go pound sand.

Over time, you will find that your customer problems will dissipate. You will no longer have people dropping plates, asking for samples, and other annoying issues that seem to plague only you. You can sleep in and not worry about your business, you will no longer be perplexed, and you can stop coming here and asking moronic questions and complain about the answers.

If you actually own a business, that is.

mayor al

• Total Posts: 15076
        • Roadfood Insider
        RE: non customers soliciting donations Sun, 02/26/06 6:40 PM (permalink)
        Posts on this thread can either deal with the question, or be deleted. If the flaming continues, the thread will be deleted as the first one was.

mayor al

• Roadfood Insider
          RE: non customers soliciting donations Sun, 02/26/06 7:23 PM (permalink)
          jeepguy
          Double Cheeseburger

Moved from a new topic to this location.

811 Posts
          Posted - 02/26/2006 : 18:20:53
          --------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Well i just made a long distance call out there and asked for drsmoke.The young lady informed me that indeed he goes by the name drsmoke and he'd just left for the day.His name is Tom.She didn't sound too beaten down, so maybe the dude just has some issues dealing with other humans.Very bizarre.LOL

ohman

• Total Posts: 262
            RE: non customers soliciting donations Mon, 02/27/06 8:42 AM (permalink)
            quote:
            Originally posted by saps

Non-customers are a scum that must be dispatched quickly. Even if they are potential customers or have never heard of your place, they are non-supportive and should have been at your place months ago. Pay no attention to them.

If you give in to your present customers, they may just continue asking for more. Additionally, as time goes on, some regular customers may find other dining options. Tell them to go pound sand.

Over time, you will find that your customer problems will dissipate. You will no longer have people dropping plates, asking for samples, and other annoying issues that seem to plague only you. You can sleep in and not worry about your business, you will no longer be perplexed, and you can stop coming here and asking moronic questions and complain about the answers.

saps that was pretty rough, do you own a business? Im not flaming you but just curious.

drsmoke02

RE: non customers soliciting donations Mon, 02/27/06 8:48 AM (permalink)
              I suppose i wasn't clear enough on my original post on this topic.
              I get hit up by every golf tournament,charity function,school newspaper,walk-a-thon,money drive,school trip drive etc. within a 25 mile radius.I contribute to everyone who has ever been a customer,it's the ones who never have bought anything i have a problem with.I know,give them something and thet will become customers,i don't think so!

Saps, you have some anger issues,you need some of my bbq,then everything will be ok.

laststandchili

• Total Posts: 177
                RE: non customers soliciting donations Mon, 02/27/06 9:45 AM (permalink)
                Seems to me that your looking for advice from pros and interested others in dealing with business difficulties and its being construed as being overly, or consistently negative by some of the hypersensitive. Its certainly made for some interesting reading.
                I understand from a friend in York, PA that you participate in BBQ competitions (he thought he may have met you in New Holland). Do you have anything scheduled for the coming spring?
                BTW, wanna buy some Girl Scout cookies?

Vayo con Queso

tmiles

• Total Posts: 1912
                  RE: non customers soliciting donations Mon, 02/27/06 9:45 AM (permalink)
                  On many days, I have more people to come in to my travel agency to sell me something, or to solicit donations, than I do customers. We take each on a case by case basis, but usually if we don't know the person collecting, we decline.

It can be a problem when you own a business with a lot of foot traffic like a supermarket or restaurant. Who do you let collect out front? Here in Massachusetts, if you let some (say Salvation Army) collect, but turn down others like The Woodchuck Watchers Club, you can get sued. The Woodchuckers or their families may also be customers. You will also have people avoid your store on Saturday mornings when customers have to run a gauntlett of cute little kids with cans for Little League or Girl Scouts. I for one don't mind the kids, and I appreciate the store owner letting them be there, because I know that he knows that it is costing him money.

There are no easy answers.

drsmoke02

RE: non customers soliciting donations Mon, 02/27/06 10:14 AM (permalink)
                    Laststandchili,only if the come in hickory or white oak flavors!

Jimeats

• Total Posts: 3175
                      RE: non customers soliciting donations Mon, 02/27/06 11:07 AM (permalink)
                      Drsmoke- you might want to check out this spot, www.pissandmoan.com

Tony Bad

RE: non customers soliciting donations Mon, 02/27/06 12:14 PM (permalink)
                        quote:
                        Originally posted by Jimeats

You may not like reading these posts (so maybe...don't?) ...but they have all covered subjects that I have heard many bring up and discuss.

My problems have been with regular visitors to my business bringing in things their kids are selling to support their school/soccer team/scout troop/etc. If it is a $1 candy bar or $4 box of cookies, I can handle that...but sometimes it is grossly overpriced stuff I don't need or want. I'd love to help, but where does it end. The other increasingly popular thing seems to be the selling of ad space in programs for various charity events like golf tournaments, concerts, and such. These are often pretty pricey! Again...it is nice to help, but where does it end? I don't know how to handle it fairly and politely.

Any good ideas out there?

drsmoke...I guess it is true what they say about where there is smoke there is fire! You certainly seem to have lit up a few folks

saps

RE: non customers soliciting donations Mon, 02/27/06 12:54 PM (permalink)
                          quote:
                          Originally posted by ohman

quote:

Over time, you will find that your customer problems will
                          dissipate. You will no longer have people dropping plates, asking
                          for samples, and other annoying issues that seem to plague only you. You can sleep in and not worry about your business, you will no longer be perplexed, and you can stop coming here and asking moronic questions and complain about the answers.

saps that was pretty rough, do you own a business? Im not flaming you but just curious.

Read it again. I was being sarcastic and ironic. I was just trying to help Dr. Smoke eliminate his pesky customer problem. No customers, no problems.

Yes, I own a couple of businesses, (not restaurants) and I treat my customers and vendors very well. I treat my employees as if they are my first line of customers, which they are. I run a business as well as some real estate holdings and realize that my customers and tenants are my lifeblood, and that anyone can be a potential customer.

UncleVic

• Total Posts: 6025
                            • Roadfood Insider
                            RE: non customers soliciting donations Mon, 02/27/06 1:17 PM (permalink)
                            quote:
                            Originally posted by Tony Bad

quote:
                            Originally posted by Jimeats

You may not like reading these posts (so maybe...don't?) ...but they have all covered subjects that I have heard many bring up and discuss.

My problems have been with regular visitors to my business bringing in things their kids are selling to support their school/soccer team/scout troop/etc. If it is a $1 candy bar or $4 box of cookies, I can handle that...but sometimes it is grossly overpriced stuff I don't need or want. I'd love to help, but where does it end. The other increasingly popular thing seems to be the selling of ad space in programs for various charity events like golf tournaments, concerts, and such. These are often pretty pricey! Again...it is nice to help, but where does it end? I don't know how to handle it fairly and politely.

Any good ideas out there?

drsmoke...I guess it is true what they say about where there is smoke there is fire! You certainly seem to have lit up a few folks

Tell them the employees and suppliers make more then you do. Try selling to them.

saps

RE: non customers soliciting donations Mon, 02/27/06 1:41 PM (permalink)
                              quote:
                              Originally posted by drsmoke02

quote:

quote:

Over time, you will find that your customer problems will
                              dissipate. You will no longer have people dropping plates, asking
                              for samples, and other annoying issues that seem to plague only you. You can sleep in and not worry about your business, you will no longer be perplexed, and you can stop coming here and asking moronic questions and complain about the answers.

Read it again. I was being sarcastic and ironic. I was just trying to help Dr. Smoke eliminate his pesky customer problem. No customers, no problems.

Yes, I own a couple of businesses, (not restaurants) and I treat my customers and vendors very well. I treat my employees as if they are my first line of customers, which they are. I run a business as well as some real estate holdings and realize that my customers and tenants are my lifeblood, and that anyone can be a potential customer.

Well that's great advice, i hope i can do some business with you real soon,do to your kind advice...from potential customer.

In all honesty, if you're going to donate, start out by setting a budget at the beginning of each year. You can work it by just donating to customers, but there may be causes that are brought to you by non-customers that you may want to support.

Additionally, from a profitability standpoint, you may want to donate to non-customers within the community where you will benefit from free advertising. For example, my wife is in the process of a community fundraiser where specific donations will get a 1/2 page in the auction book.

Personally, I try to donate to community causes or causes that mean something to me. The problem with supporting customer's causes is that it is difficult to figure out where to draw the line and you can't support all of them. Give the important ones a heads up when your budget is finished and you are ready to make commitments. It makes it easier to turn people down or give them a lesser amount when you tell them that you have a budget. The plus side of donating to community causes is that it gives you a good name as an active member of the community and can create local patronage.

NebGuy

• Total Posts: 875
                                RE: non customers soliciting donations Mon, 02/27/06 2:08 PM (permalink)
                                Dr Smoke... Lets back off on the copy and paste.

Fieldthistle

• Total Posts: 1948
                                  RE: non customers soliciting donations Mon, 02/27/06 3:03 PM (permalink)
                                  Hello All,
                                  Not sure about the topic, but I always have 2 cents, worth about .002cents.
                                  If you believe in the cause, give, and offer your services at cost.
                                  If it is strangers and going nowhere, just say no.
                                  If there is a chance of creating a network of good ol' boys (people), and
                                  there is free advertising and creation of future customers, go for it.
                                  For example, the newspaper I work for is one of many who sponsor a weekly
                                  charity event in the summer. Local charities receive a portion of the money
                                  made.
                                  There is a band; each week the type of music changes.
                                  There are local food vendors, usually pizza, beer, hotdogs etc.
                                  Each week a different charity gets part of the profits. If you support the local SPCA, you
                                  go that week as customer. The next week, it might be the MS foundation, or the cancer society, etc..
                                  The vendors and businesses make money, but give a portion to the charity of the week.
                                  Everyone involved gets good PR and recognition.
                                  Take Care,
                                  Fieldthistle

tmiles

• Total Posts: 1912
                                    RE: non customers soliciting donations Mon, 02/27/06 4:36 PM (permalink)
                                    What happened to this thread? The original question is a legitimate question that is asked by most small businessmen every day. The "rich" business owner is looked at to support every cause, and it can become very frustrating to both the owner and the asker when a "no" has to be given. I have been on both ends. It is no fun to hear or say "no". As I said in my earlier post, there are no easy answers.

mayor al

• Location: Louisville area, Southern Indiana
                                      • Roadfood Insider
                                      RE: non customers soliciting donations Mon, 02/27/06 8:50 PM (permalink)

Several posts were deleted (AGAIN). Please minimize the flaming and the cut and Quote space. We don't need to read the same comments repeated several times in each of the next few posts.
                                      This thread is on the verge of locking due to the inability of several posters to avoid conflict in their messages.
                                      AJB

wheregreggeats.com

RE: non customers soliciting donations Mon, 02/27/06 9:27 PM (permalink)

Forgive the quote

I'm wondering -- with all levels of respect -- why not lock out the "several posters" who can't seem to "avoid conflict" in their messages?

Just wondering?

mayor al

• Roadfood Insider
                                          RE: non customers soliciting donations Mon, 02/27/06 9:35 PM (permalink)
                                          Some posters just seem to 'lose it' on certain topics, or in reaction to specific members thoughts. We delete those. When it appears that a question has been discussed to the point that all that is left are 'Oh Yeah....Yeah' ranting matches it is time to lock it up. And we are just about there with this one.

Adjudicator

• Total Posts: 5057
                                            RE: non customers soliciting donations Mon, 02/27/06 9:43 PM (permalink)
                                            I still think all here are being taken for a ride. Have seen comments where drsmoke has been verified. I cannot believe same, why a "valid", professional restaurant owner / manager, etc... >>> Why would same be posting in the multitude of threads where simplistic questions are asked regarding basic restaurant management technique and / or situations arising from such?

ohman

• Total Posts: 262
                                              RE: non customers soliciting donations Tue, 02/28/06 7:12 AM (permalink)
                                              quote:
                                              Originally posted by Al-The Mayor-Bowen

Some posters just seem to 'lose it' on certain topics, or in reaction to specific members thoughts. We delete those. When it appears that a question has been discussed to the point that all that is left are 'Oh Yeah....Yeah' ranting matches it is time to lock it up. And we are just about there with this one.
                                              Al-themayor while we are on this subject, why do you allow everyone in the "Restaurant Professionals Forum"? You hear so many silly ideas from people who have no idea what they are talking about. I know this is not my forum but I have never understood it. If it stays like it is, it should be renamed.....just my opinion!

Mosca

• Total Posts: 2936
                                                RE: non customers soliciting donations Tue, 02/28/06 8:05 AM (permalink)
                                                quote:

quote:
                                                Originally posted by Al-The Mayor-Bowen

Al-themayor while we are on this subject, why do you allow everyone in the "Restaurant Professionals Forum"? You hear so many silly ideas from people who have no idea what they are talking about. I know this is not my forum but I have never understood it. If it stays like it is, it should be renamed.....just my opinion!

Yeah, and let's keep the professionals out of the other areas too. That makes the most sense.

Tom

mayor al

• Roadfood Insider
                                                  RE: non customers soliciting donations Tue, 02/28/06 8:09 AM (permalink)

I believe my point has been made.
                                                  The thread is closed.

Online Bookmarks Sharing: Share/Bookmark

Jump to:

Current active users

There are 0 members and 1 guests.

Icon Legend and Permission

• New Messages
                                                    • No New Messages
                                                    • Hot Topic w/ New Messages
                                                    • Hot Topic w/o New Messages
                                                    • Locked w/ New Messages
                                                    • Locked w/o New Messages
                                                    • Read Message
                                                    • Post New Thread
                                                    • Reply to message
                                                    • Post New Poll
                                                    • Submit Vote
                                                    • Post reward post
                                                    • Delete my own posts
                                                    • Delete my own threads
                                                    • Rate post

2000-2014 ASPPlayground.NET Forum Version 3.9
                                                    What is Roadfood?  |   Privacy Policy  |   Contact Roadfood.com   Copyright 2011 - Roadfood.com