The most memorable local eateries along the highways and back roads of America
Sign In | Register for Free!
Restaurants Recipes Forums EatingTours Merchandise FAQ Maps Insider

ok question about regulators

THE WILD DOG

• Total Posts: 1465
ok question about regulators Wed, 12/14/11 1:01 AM (permalink)
 I have a griddle that is about 45000 btu, i had it converted from nat gas to LP, and that included changing the regulator on the back of the unit. Now i'm running my gas lines this week to a 40lb tank and might even take it up to a 100lb tank. Since there is already a regulator on the back of the unit, what would be the ample size regulator coming from the tank ? Regular or heavy duty ?

Dr of BBQ

• Total Posts: 3716
    • Roadfood Insider
    Re:ok question about regulators Wed, 12/14/11 10:04 AM (permalink)
    What else are you running on LP? If nothing else you may only need the regulator you have installed. Regulators are used to meter the gas pressure on equipment by the BTUS used in the operation, and length of the gas line (run).  LP gas lines pressure can also be effected by the size of the pipe and length of the run.

But I don't think you need a two stage regulator system, you don't have a long enough run.

But honestly the person or company that retrofitted your griddle should have asked you what else you were running and suggested a solution. I'd call them and ask.
    Jack

FriedTater

• Total Posts: 414
      Re:ok question about regulators Wed, 12/14/11 11:58 AM (permalink)
      Many, many months ago when I first got into this business my equipment was set-up same as yours. Regulator on deep fryer, nothing on propane tank. Got shut down because of this. Didn`t know any better. This was the way the equipment was when I purchased it. Propane inspectors want a regulator and shut off valve at tank, and shut-off valve just before it went to deep fryer.

Dr of BBQ

• Roadfood Insider
        Re:ok question about regulators Wed, 12/14/11 12:43 PM (permalink)
        Is that a local thing? Your area has Propane inspectors? LMAO.
        That is strange, first all the propane tanks now have a valve inside the tank that shuts the tank down if there is no back pressure. But more importantly there is a shut off valve on the tank when you buy the tank. LOL And if you had a fire at your deep fryer I'm betting your not going to be on your hands and knees trying to turn off the gas.

FriedTater

• Total Posts: 414
          Re:ok question about regulators Wed, 12/14/11 2:23 PM (permalink)
          Doc, propane inspectors are far and few  now-a-days. This all happened years ago. At that time I had the old propane tanks that aren`t anywhere near what they are now a days.Opened valve, propane came out.  Inspectors wanted regulator at tank, and shut off valve just before going into fryer. I didn`t make the rules, just obeyed them to stay in business. LOL if fryer did catch on fire, too dang old to get on hands and knees to shut valve. I would shut shut off at tank. Or let it burn! BTW, I haven`t been inspected by a propane inspector in state of New Mexico in years, the old guy passed away. I do one event in Texas 3 times a year, fire marshall inspects all of us. Understand at the ballon fiesta in Albuqueque, lots of propane insectors there thru the event, with hands held out for your daily dose of permit fees.

Dr of BBQ

• Roadfood Insider
            Re:ok question about regulators Wed, 12/14/11 3:14 PM (permalink)
            "I do one event in Texas 3 times a year, fire marshall inspects all of us. Understand at the ballon fiesta in Albuqueque, lots of propane insectors there thru the event, with hands held out for your daily dose of permit fees."

Oh I'd bet on the balloon fest having a ton of inspectors, and sucking up permit fees.

There is a couple of pretty good web pages on this topic, and I'll bet Lorna has a ton of links from the RV people.

But the big factors are length of run, size of pipe, and the BTU count. If you have a regulator on each piece of equipment (different BTU'S) you don't have to have one on the tank, on a short run.
            But if your BTU count is similar on your equipment plus or minus a fraction you can run with just one on the tank.
            But all that said the equipment will be more or less efficient if it's not breathing gas and the air mixture correctly, due to the pressure.

Online Bookmarks Sharing: Share/Bookmark

Jump to:

Current active users

There are 0 members and 1 guests.

Icon Legend and Permission

• New Messages
              • No New Messages
              • Hot Topic w/ New Messages
              • Hot Topic w/o New Messages
              • Locked w/ New Messages
              • Locked w/o New Messages
              • Read Message
              • Post New Thread
              • Reply to message
              • Post New Poll
              • Submit Vote
              • Post reward post
              • Delete my own posts
              • Delete my own threads
              • Rate post

2000-2014 ASPPlayground.NET Forum Version 3.9
              What is Roadfood?  |   Privacy Policy  |   Contact Roadfood.com   Copyright 2011 - Roadfood.com