old time bar sausgaes

Author
californyguy
Double Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 513
2010/11/07 18:54:00 (permalink)

old time bar sausgaes

I just can't find any of those old time pickeled bar sausages that used to sit on the bar next to a jar of pickeled eggs...every once in a while get a hankering for them,even tried making some to dismal results...would not want them evey day, but would be nice to try them again 

12 Replies Related Threads

Foodbme
    Porterhouse
    • Total Posts : 10328
    Re:old time bar sausgaes 2010/11/07 19:07:22 (permalink)
    There are other threads on here on this subject. Suggest you use the SEARCH function to find info. See:
    http://www.roadfood.com/Forums/tm.aspx?Do-you-use-canned-meat&m=618925&high=Penrose&mpage=2

Page 2 - Entry #59
    If you search some more, use the keyword - Penrose
    post edited by Foodbme - 2010/11/07 19:09:09
    ChrisOC
    Double Chili Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 1021
    Re:old time bar sausgaes 2010/11/08 10:58:40 (permalink)
    I have been looking for those sausages as well.  I know I used to buy them at the supermarket but I haven't seen them in years.  Someone on here showed me this website.  They have them but with the cost of shipping they get fairly pricey.  I guess I will wait until my craving overcomes my reluctance to pay so much shipping.
    http://www.pickledstore.com/
    Rusty246
    • Total Posts : 2414
    Re:old time bar sausgaes 2010/11/08 11:44:20 (permalink)
    The ol' steak and eggs.......you can still find the sausages around here, I just make my own eggs.
    Foodbme
    Porterhouse
    Re:old time bar sausgaes 2010/11/08 13:59:36 (permalink)
    ChrisOC

I have been looking for those sausages as well.  I know I used to buy them at the supermarket but I haven't seen them in years.  Someone on here showed me this website.  They have them but with the cost of shipping they get fairly pricey.  I guess I will wait until my craving overcomes my reluctance to pay so much shipping.

You can also order through Amazon.com. Free shipping deals sometimes available.

MellowRoast
    • Total Posts : 2009
    Re:old time bar sausgaes 2010/11/08 14:22:17 (permalink)
    Californyguy: I hadn't thought of those sausages in years, and you're right, they're tasty.  I'm gonna have to look for them.
    Foodbme
    Porterhouse
    Re:old time bar sausgaes 2010/11/08 16:39:30 (permalink)
    ChrisOC

I see the Pickled Store also carries Pickled Pig Lips & Pig Knuckles as well as Pickled Hocks & Feet. Some of my all-time favorites!
    Now, if I can only find Pickled Chicken Lips!
    edwmax
    • Total Posts : 2107
    Re:old time bar sausgaes 2010/11/08 17:39:31 (permalink)
    californyguy

I just can't find any of those old time pickeled bar sausages that used to sit on the bar next to a jar of pickeled eggs...every once in a while get a hankering for them,even tried making some to dismal results...would not want them evey day, but would be nice to try them again 

I didn't know Penrose, aka Conagra, is discontinuing Pickled sausage in the jars.  My jar is slowly disappearing.    ...  My suggestion is Make Your Own!    About 2 years ago, Bar-S sausage was on sell. I put these in pickled juice (abt 4 packs) and they were great, ...much better than Penrose. And, kept very well on the bar.

Search for recipes for Pickled Sausage or Pickled Eggs.   They are about the same. .. I used 50/50 water to vinegar (full strength vinegar, your option), with onion, garlic, 1 or 2 tsp hot pepper flakes, maybe a pepper pod or 2 for looks.  ... they will be ready to eat about 2 to 4 days.    ... experiment to your liking, but I find simple is the best.
    edwmax
    Re:old time bar sausgaes 2010/11/08 17:42:22 (permalink)
    Foodbme

ChrisOC

I see the Pickled Store also carries Pickled Pig Lips & Pig Knuckles as well as Pickled Hocks & Feet. Some of my all-time favorites!

More likely "chicken Peckers" ....
    californyguy
    Double Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 513
    Re:old time bar sausgaes 2010/11/08 17:59:28 (permalink)
    thanks all! that pickeled store looks great- from what I order form there and pork roll express in joisey will be all set for the winter (such as it is here)
    Foodbme
    Porterhouse
    Re:old time bar sausgaes 2010/11/08 18:11:50 (permalink)
    edwmax

Foodbme

ChrisOC

More likely "chicken Peckers" ....

Chickens have beaks--- Roosters have Peckers!

edwmax
    Re:old time bar sausgaes 2010/11/08 18:23:49 (permalink)
       ... OK ...you got me ... I took the bait, hook line & sinker, and set you up for that comment .... hahah ...
    sonjaab
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 193
    Re:old time bar sausgaes 2010/11/20 22:14:00 (permalink)

Look here:
    http://www.pickledsausage.net/
    http://www.jerkyjoe.com/category_Penrose.htm
    Both sell mailorder !

I used to sell the sausages and eggs at my bar but the local
    Oswego county health department copped a attitude because they were not kept refrigerated, packaged for single serve  etc. so I discontinued carrying them.
    I bought mine from the potato chip guy...............

You could try your local sundrie *spl*  (candy, cig, paper) wholesaler.

post edited by sonjaab - 2010/11/20 22:22:09
    Jump to:
    © 2014 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1