omelette or fritatta? same thing?

Author
hefried
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 367
2004/12/18 14:41:55 (permalink)

omelette or fritatta? same thing?

So , am I crazy? I get pissed when restaurants serve me fritatta when i thought i've ordered an omlette. (they call it an omlette on the menu)
In my opinion

Omlette = fillings folded inside or rolled inside thin, ( like a egg pancake) omlettey eggs.

Fritatta = fillings cooked inside the eggs and the eggs coagulate around the ingredients. (if you don't cook it until it's set up you might call it a scramble)

or are they interchangeable?
What do you think?

28 Replies Related Threads

Michael Hoffman
    Double-chop Porterhouse
    • Total Posts : 18625
    RE: omelette or fritatta? same thing? 2004/12/18 16:37:20 (permalink)
    A frittata is an Italian omelet. When I order an omelet I do not expect to get a frittata.
    tmiles
    Double Chili Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 2011
    RE: omelette or fritatta? same thing? 2004/12/18 17:09:33 (permalink)
    The only frittata that I have had was rolled into a tube rather than folded as the typical omelet. The server told me that the egg was cooked thin on a griddle rather than thicker in a pan like an omlete. The goodies were wrapped in the thin cooked egg using the egg as one would use flatbread in a wrap. It was called a "rolled frittata", and my be different than a plan "fritatta".
    tsores
    Double Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 655
    RE: omelette or fritatta? same thing? 2004/12/18 18:05:54 (permalink)
    There is definitely a difference. What I don't understand is why the menu misrepresents it. As a customer, I want what I ordered, not what you think I should have.
    chezkatie
    • Total Posts : 1329
    RE: omelette or fritatta? same thing? 2004/12/18 18:16:16 (permalink)
    When I have had frittata at homes of Italian friends, it has always seemed liked it was a very thick pancake cut into pie shaped servings....it is delicious but not as delicate as an omelette. An omelette requires a lot more attention and possibly that is why you are served with a frittata "passing" as an omelet. I would complain if I ever got that when I really wanted an omelette. If they do not have the time to prepare an omelette, settle for bacon and eggs
    tiki
    Filet Mignon
    • Total Posts : 4140
    RE: omelette or fritatta? same thing? 2004/12/18 20:28:11 (permalink)
    Omelettes SHOULD be light fluffy and moist with the filling inside and folded over----although alot of them are scrambled eggs that are cooked flat,thin n
    and pretty dry on a grill and rolled up.They also are made to serve one person---frittata are larger--with fillings cooked into the egg and heavier or more dense and usually meant to feed several people---often much drier then the french omelette.
    Mosca
    Filet Mignon
    • Total Posts : 2982
    RE: omelette or fritatta? same thing? 2004/12/18 22:18:03 (permalink)
    I learned to cook omelettes in a very specific way, at a certain heat (you just "know" what it is on your own range), with a heavy pan. The eggs at room temp, the fillings ready... you heat the clarified butter in the pan, pour in the eggs, whisk them around with the bottom of a fork, then pull the edges toward the center, then lift the edge and let the runny part go underneath, then add the fillings, fold away from the handle, count to 8, and serve.

The things served at breakfast buffets these days are good enough, but they aren't what I learned to cook.

Tom
    tiki
    Filet Mignon
    • Total Posts : 4140
    RE: omelette or fritatta? same thing? 2004/12/19 06:35:17 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by Mosca

I learned to cook omelettes in a very specific way, at a certain heat (you just "know" what it is on your own range), with a heavy pan. The eggs at room temp, the fillings ready... you heat the clarified butter in the pan, pour in the eggs, whisk them around with the bottom of a fork, then pull the edges toward the center, then lift the edge and let the runny part go underneath, then add the fillings, fold away from the handle, count to 8, and serve.

The things served at breakfast buffets these days are good enough, but they aren't what I learned to cook.

Tom

Allright--now THAT sounds like an omelette!--somebody taught ya good! you cook my breakfast anytime!
    tmiles
    RE: omelette or fritatta? same thing? 2004/12/19 06:43:45 (permalink)
    I have come into a little more information. My source tells me that fritatas are some times baked in a hot pizza oven. It does not sound too good to me. I agree with tiki that a great omlette is an art seldom achieved. Good ones are easy.
    ocdreamr
    • Total Posts : 1110
    RE: omelette or fritatta? same thing? 2004/12/19 19:02:47 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by tmiles

I have come into a little more information. My source tells me that fritatas are some times baked in a hot pizza oven. It does not sound too good to me. I agree with tiki that a great omlette is an art seldom achieved. Good ones are easy.

Actually frittatas are really very good, just not an omelet, rather think cross between omelete & quiche. I make one with hash browns with onions & peppers and sausage or ham. This is started in an oven proof fry pan. The veggies should be about an inch deep in the pan, pour the beaten eggs over the veggies, working in well. Cook on stove for bottom of eggs to set, then put in oven under broiler to finish cooking eggs. Top with cheese of choice, run back under broiler to melt. Remove from oven let set a minute or two, then cut in wedges to serve. Sometimes I season the potatoes with Pico de Gallo con Limon (chile salt w/lime) & then I serve with a salsa over the top. The traditional Italian frittata is made with zuchinni & peppers, etc & served with a tomato sauce. The frittata is seldom made for one as it is usually done in a regular fry pan & cut into wedges.
    lleechef
    Sirloin
    • Total Posts : 7012
    RE: omelette or fritatta? same thing? 2004/12/20 03:51:14 (permalink)
    An omelette is cooked eggs stuffed with goodies and folded over, or into thirds. A fritatta has the goodies sauteed first, THEN the eggs poured over and baked until puffy. The traditional fritattas I ate in Italy and at my grandparent's house were made of diced potato, zucchini and onion. I personally prefer a fritatta to an omelette.
    dctourist
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 325
    RE: omelette or fritatta? same thing? 2004/12/20 09:45:33 (permalink)
    Yeah, at our "Original" Pancake House here in Bethesda I recently ordered an omelette and got something cooked solid in the shape of a small frying pan... wasn't bad, but definitely wasn't an omelette...
    tmiles
    RE: omelette or fritatta? same thing? 2004/12/20 10:52:42 (permalink)
    I guess McDonalds needs to get into the omelette business. That way standards could be set, and we could have a uniform product that we could enjoy nationwide without those pesky variations.
    Irrelevnt
    Junior Burger
    • Total Posts : 1
    RE: omelette or fritatta? same thing? 2005/01/12 12:59:53 (permalink)
    "I guess McDonalds needs to get into the omelette business. That way standards could be set, and we could have a uniform product that we could enjoy nationwide without those pesky variations."

Variety is what makes life fun~

I've been trying to make a perfect omelette, like the ones the local
    diners in South Jersey make, and I'm not totally sure what's going
    wrong.

It tastes the same, but, they have a way of folding the eggs
    not once, but twice, like a burrito (both edges inward).

I'm not sure if they flip the whole panful of eggs once, then add the filling (the filling is placed in the middle, before it's folded)
    or if they don't flip it first, and just fold it, which when I do that, the bottom is browned and the middle seems undercooked.

I'm wondering if i need a larger spatula to flip the eggs before I fold them, or If they use two spatulas, or some martial arts like flipping ability where the eggs are thrown from the pan, do a mid-air flip, and land back in the pan...

also, how do you butter and prepare the pan? Is it just butter, or
    butter and salt and other stuff? I dunno.
    tmiles
    RE: omelette or fritatta? same thing? 2005/01/12 15:27:10 (permalink)
    Dear Irrelevnt,
    Congratulations on your first post. Welcome. A restaurant that I enjoy has an omelette station. Here is what they do. Preheat a nonstick pan, add about 2 tablespoons of heated liquid (solid at room temp) oil, add veggies and meat and cook for about a minute. As the veggies cook they break 3 eggs into a bowl and wisk. They add the eggs to the veggies and let cook for a short using a spatula to lift the edge to let liquid egg run underneath. Then (and this is my favorite part) he flips the pan in a way that the omelette goes about a foot in the air and lands in the pan on the uncooked side. He then adds shredded cheese and folds the omelette over. After about 30 seconds more of cooking, he slides the omelette on to the customers plate. When I make them at home I skip all that fat/oil, and use about 1/8 teaspoon of butter. Without all the slippery stuff, I need a spatula to help with the flipping.
    mjwicked
    Junior Burger
    • Total Posts : 2
    RE: omelette or fritatta? same thing? 2005/05/10 11:26:17 (permalink)
    Hello could you tell me what resteraunt does that? I would love some eggie

goodness in the mornings or for that matter even in the mid afternoons.

I actually came on here to find out the difference between a QUICHE and a

FRITTATA.
    Can you tell me THAT lol.
    regards mel :)))
    Michael Hoffman
    Double-chop Porterhouse
    RE: omelette or fritatta? same thing? 2005/05/10 11:38:55 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by mjwicked

Hello could you tell me what resteraunt does that? I would love some eggie

goodness in the mornings or for that matter even in the mid afternoons.

I actually came on here to find out the difference between a QUICHE and a

FRITTATA.
    Can you tell me THAT lol.
    regards mel :)))

A quiche is a pastry shell filled with a savory custard made of eggs, cream, seasonings and various other ingredients.

A fritatta is an open-faced omelet made with eggs and sauteed vegetables and/or meats.
    hefried
    Cheeseburger
    RE: omelette or fritatta? same thing? 2005/05/10 16:40:55 (permalink)
    quiche and fritatta(at least the fritatta i'm calling a fritatta hehe) are really really similar at the end, EXCEPT quiche is in a crust and fritatta isn't.
    Also did you know that there is a thing called a "spanish Tortilla" which is not at all using tortilla's that you use for taco's. In Fact, it's alot like a big potato fritatta.....
    They're basically all the same BASIC recipe: eggs cream and filling... "baked together until firm" from all different regions of the world I guess. cool.
    Michael Hoffman
    Double-chop Porterhouse
    RE: omelette or fritatta? same thing? 2005/05/10 16:58:20 (permalink)
    There's no cream in a fritatta or a tortilla.
    ocdreamr
    • Total Posts : 1110
    RE: omelette or fritatta? same thing? 2005/05/10 21:47:32 (permalink)
    I agree Michael,
    quiche & fritatta are definitel different. As you stated a quiche is a seasoned custard the fritatta is not, it has much more substance. Quiche is baked entirely in the oven, the fritatta starts on the stove top & finishes under the broiler.
    mjwicked
    Junior Burger
    • Total Posts : 2
    RE: omelette or fritatta? same thing? 2005/05/10 23:11:35 (permalink)
    Under the broiler? I assume you might mean the grill, sorry i am from Australia so some of the words you use are a bit different meaning to me LOL.
    What you describe sound about the same as what i eat here (from what i can tell) but i dont taste any custard in our Quiche's here so either their made differently here or umm..... dunno LOL.
    Thanks heaps luv mel
    Michael Hoffman
    Double-chop Porterhouse
    RE: omelette or fritatta? same thing? 2005/05/11 11:07:16 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by mjwicked

Under the broiler? I assume you might mean the grill, sorry i am from Australia so some of the words you use are a bit different meaning to me LOL.
    What you describe sound about the same as what i eat here (from what i can tell) but i dont taste any custard in our Quiche's here so either their made differently here or umm..... dunno LOL.
    Thanks heaps luv mel

A broiler is a device usually found in the top portion of an oven. It consists of a heating element, either electric or a gas flame, that cooks from above.

As to the custard in a quiche,that is what the mixture of egg, milk or cream, and spices and/or herbs is called. In a quiche the custard is savory, not sweet.
    hefried
    Cheeseburger
    RE: omelette or fritatta? same thing? 2005/05/11 12:40:35 (permalink)
    i usually add milk or cream to my eggs when making a fritatta, quiche and/ or omlette
    but you're right quiche hads definitly more cream in it hence a lighter texture.
    all i was saying is that theyre all "pretty much the same ingredients"
    tmiles
    RE: omelette or fritatta? same thing? 2005/05/11 16:23:01 (permalink)
    maybe there are no hard and fast rules
    tmiles
    RE: omelette or fritatta? same thing? 2005/10/24 09:57:24 (permalink)
    This past weekend I saw an early "French Chef" do omletts. It had to be an old show, because the late Julia Child looked to be in her mid 50s. She used a thin, cheap non stick pan and high heat, saying that the thicker "prestige" pans heated too slowly. She said to use 2 or 3 eggs and to whisk in a little water. She used about a tablespoon of butter, heated in the pan until it stops foaming. She then poured in the eggs and swirled the pan, cooking the egg in a very short time. Using wrist action only she wiggled the pan to make the egg roll up on itself. She then slid it onto a dish. She said to cook just until the egg is coagulated and not to overcook. It was very interesting. I tried it. I don't have the wrist action right yet.
    Scorereader
    Sirloin
    • Total Posts : 5566
    RE: omelette or fritatta? same thing? 2005/10/24 11:27:27 (permalink)
    A frittata is something I eat at 3:00am.

An omlette is something I eat at 9:00am.

Scallion1
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 418
    RE: omelette or fritatta? same thing? 2005/10/24 16:06:30 (permalink)
    fritattas are made with olive oil. omelettes should be made with whole butter. they'll taste and look better than if they're made with clarified butter. no need for clarified butter if you're using a non-stick pan, or a well-kept rolled steel pan.

cooking an omelette in vegetable oil is horrible.
    Scorereader
    Sirloin
    • Total Posts : 5566
    RE: omelette or fritatta? same thing? 2005/10/25 10:10:16 (permalink)
    a frittata shouldn't be baked. It's not a casserole. I've had frittatas at many a italian diners, and they make it on the same grill as the omlettes. Every one of 'em.
    'Course, I've had these late at night, after the bar closes. But I'm certain of how they were made, as the grill was right in front of my face...then again, I usually have a hard time reading the menu at 3am...

ScreenBear
    • Total Posts : 1505
    RE: omelette or fritatta? same thing? 2005/10/25 20:59:23 (permalink)
    At the corner candy store I habituated as a child (Krupman's, Newark, NJ), one of the owners' two sons' nickname was Omelet. Both Omelet and his brother wiled away the days playing pinball. Just thought I'd share.
    Jump to:
    © 2014 APG vNext Trial Version 5.1