Sign In | Register for Free!
Restaurants Recipes Forums EatingTours Merchandise FAQ Maps Insider
Forum Themes:
Welcome !

pastrami in Philly (succulent pics!)

Change Page: 123 > | Showing page 1 of 3, messages 1 to 30 of 61
ellen4641

• Total Posts: 3531
pastrami in Philly (succulent pics!) Sat, 03/31/07 9:29 PM (permalink)
There is finally a real good pastrami place in Philly...

It is in the Reading Terminal Market on 11th and Arch St.
Name : Hershels East Side Deli.

Owner tells me it is "kosher and homemade"

It is hand carved, as well. A decent sized sandwich for only $8.50.
Sure it is bigger at Harold's Deli in NJ, but it costs $15.00.
(I like both places)

Hershel's opened in Feb. 2007, a welcome addition (IMO)to the Reading Terminal Market.... (the owner and his family were involved with Katz's deli in NYC for years)

[img][/img]signage
There is a small counter to sit at, but it is more fun to just order at the counter, cafeteria style, and watch them carve your sandwich,
(corned beef is real good , too), then sit out there at one of the markets common tables, complete with the aluminum folding chairs, like these folks in the pic...

This happened to be during the Philly Flower Show, so the market was PACKED, as it is located right across from the philly convention center.

The Reading Terminal Market has got to be one of the safest places to be in the country, as there are tons of police officers, (all branches and forms, like "special narcotics squad", etc), all sitting down to enjoy their Italian subs, cheesesteaks, etc, etc....I liked looking at all the different uniforms and patches.

I washed my sandwich down with some Bassett of Philadelphia ice cream. Dark chocolate chip, my favorite flavor.

Adjudicator

• Total Posts: 5057
    RE: pastrami in Philly (succulent pics!) Sat, 03/31/07 9:33 PM (permalink)
    That looks absolutely delicious!

ann peeples

• Total Posts: 8317
      RE: pastrami in Philly (succulent pics!) Sat, 03/31/07 9:35 PM (permalink)
      Best looking pastrami I have ever seen!!!

iqdiva

• Total Posts: 1491
        RE: pastrami in Philly (succulent pics!) Sat, 03/31/07 9:38 PM (permalink)
        That looks absolutely INCREDIBLE !

dreamzpainter

• Total Posts: 1609
          RE: pastrami in Philly (succulent pics!) Sat, 03/31/07 10:49 PM (permalink)
          great pics.... almost makes me homesick...almost

ellen4641

RE: pastrami in Philly (succulent pics!) Sat, 03/31/07 11:17 PM (permalink)
            And I enjoyed shmoozing with the owner, Steve, for a good 5 minutes or so, as he is very personable.

And I like the fact that everything is out in the open.........so if you don't want the tail end of the pastrami, just come back in 10 minutes and there will be a new one out there.
            Very high volume....

I also enjoyed the matzoh ball soup.

UncleVic

• Total Posts: 6025
              • Roadfood Insider
              RE: pastrami in Philly (succulent pics!) Sun, 04/1/07 12:24 AM (permalink)
              NICE!

MikeS.

• Total Posts: 5360
                • Roadfood Insider
                RE: pastrami in Philly (succulent pics!) Sun, 04/1/07 4:02 AM (permalink)
                I've got to get back to Philly!

MikeS.

acer2x

• Total Posts: 440
                  RE: pastrami in Philly (succulent pics!) Sun, 04/1/07 4:23 AM (permalink)

agnesrob

• Total Posts: 1790
                    RE: pastrami in Philly (succulent pics!) Sun, 04/1/07 7:44 AM (permalink)
                    Elen, that looks so good! I haven't had pastromi is a while. Guess it's time!

ellen4641

RE: pastrami in Philly (succulent pics!) Sun, 04/1/07 9:55 AM (permalink)
                      quote:
                      Originally posted by acer2x

Interesting stuff from egullet:

http://forums.egullet.org/index.php?showtopic=99553&st=0

YES, that is how I stumbled on this deli in the first place...
                      I was web surfing, and looking up who knows what, and this pastrami stuff came up.

I even chatted with the owner about that egullet stuff, and he thought the critics were being a little too harsh...
                      (as they had just opened, and were trying to get the kinks out)

BunglingBill

• Total Posts: 218
                        RE: pastrami in Philly (succulent pics!) Sun, 04/1/07 10:54 AM (permalink)
                        My wife goes to Philly frequently on business. Next time, I'll be going with her to try that pastrami!

acer2x

RE: pastrami in Philly (succulent pics!) Sun, 04/1/07 11:48 AM (permalink)
                          I'll give it a try after Passover and report back. If they hand cut their pastrami and corned beef, it's got to be a winner.

Pwingsx

• Total Posts: 2170
                            RE: pastrami in Philly (succulent pics!) Sun, 04/1/07 2:20 PM (permalink)
                            I've never had a real NY style pastrami sandwich, but I sure would think it looked like that one.

db1105

• Total Posts: 185
                              RE: pastrami in Philly (succulent pics!) Sun, 04/1/07 3:02 PM (permalink)
                              I stopped there a few weeks ago and it really wasn't that good. I had the pastrami special on "stale" rye bread. It was 11am. The dressing was waterey, and the pastrami was not that good. With all the consistantly great places to eat at the Terminal, I will not waste another dime there.

Phildelmar

• Total Posts: 788
                                RE: pastrami in Philly (succulent pics!) Sun, 04/1/07 3:12 PM (permalink)
                                Have to be in Philadelphia on Friday, a few blocks away from the Market, will check it out

MikeS.

• Total Posts: 5360
                                  • Roadfood Insider
                                  RE: pastrami in Philly (succulent pics!) Sun, 04/1/07 11:35 PM (permalink)
                                  Personally I'd go and find out for myself. Those pics look too good to be missed.

MikeS.

Art Deco

• Total Posts: 889
                                    RE: pastrami in Philly (succulent pics!) Mon, 04/2/07 11:05 AM (permalink)
                                    quote:
                                    Originally posted by db1105

I stopped there a few weeks ago and it really wasn't that good.

Interesting. I thought part of the point was that they have only been open for a few weeks and were still working out the kinks.

Phildelmar

RE: pastrami in Philly (succulent pics!) Mon, 04/2/07 11:23 AM (permalink)
                                      Any more feedback on the place?

tamandmik

• Total Posts: 949
                                        RE: pastrami in Philly (succulent pics!) Mon, 04/2/07 12:48 PM (permalink)
                                        quote:
                                        Originally posted by dreamzpainter

great pics.... almost makes me homesick...almost

Until you realize that it was probably about 40-45 degrees outside when those pics were taken! Then, that feeling of homesickness begins to fade, at least for me!

db1105

• Total Posts: 185
                                          RE: pastrami in Philly (succulent pics!) Mon, 04/2/07 5:39 PM (permalink)
                                          "Interesting. I thought part of the point was that they have only been open for a few weeks and were still working out the kinks."

What is "interesting"? I responded to a post stating that they had a " real good pastrami place in Philly". I tried it a few weeks ago and found it not to be really good. I just gave my opinion. You would think a sandwich place in The Terminal would work out the "kinks" before they opened. There is no excuse for stale bread and waterery dressing IMHO.

phlmaestro2000

• Total Posts: 109
                                            RE: pastrami in Philly (succulent pics!) Mon, 04/2/07 5:48 PM (permalink)
                                            quote:

"Interesting. I thought part of the point was that they have only been open for a few weeks and were still working out the kinks."

What is "interesting"? I responded to a post stating that they had a " real good pastrami place in Philly". I tried it a few weeks ago and found it not to be really good. I just gave my opinion. You would think a sandwich place in The Terminal would work out the "kinks" before they opened. There is no excuse for stale bread and waterery dressing IMHO.

I'm not sure if there is a little confusion with the thread I started on Hershel's when it first opened. I had said back then that I wasn't impressed with the corned beef, and while the pastrami was better, it still wasn't as good as the pastrami at Famous 4th Street (post-ownership change). I also wrote at the time that because they were so new, I'd cut them some slack and give them some time to work out their problems. One of the owners also wrote on the Egullet forum that he realized they had some issues to work out and were a work in progress during their first week.

I have been back since and thought my second pastrami sandwich was better than the first. But I'd still give an edge to Famous 4th Street. However, since I live only a couple blocks from the Terminal, I'm still thrilled to have a legitimate Jewish deli in the neighborhood and will be at least a semi-regular customer of Hershel's.

John A

• Total Posts: 4295
                                              RE: pastrami in Philly (succulent pics!) Tue, 04/3/07 7:27 AM (permalink)
                                              Looks awfully good to me, I would certainly give it a try.

John

saps

• Total Posts: 1551
                                                RE: pastrami in Philly (succulent pics!) Tue, 04/3/07 2:55 PM (permalink)
                                                quote:

You're right. Most businesses hit the ground running and have no kinks to work out with their products.

acer2x

RE: pastrami in Philly (succulent pics!) Tue, 04/10/07 11:05 PM (permalink)
                                                  I ended my Passover early this year so I visited Hershel's for lunch today for the first time.The counter service was not good. It looked like the Keystone Kops. I had one-half pastrami sandwich. The bread was stale. The hand cut pastrami was just ok. The pastrami doesn't even come close to Famous 4th Street and is far removed from Katz's, my personal favorite. I must admit that the brisket looked good. I'll give that a shot next time I'm in the city.

acer2x

RE: pastrami in Philly (succulent pics!) Wed, 04/11/07 8:55 AM (permalink)
                                                    Furthermore,the picture is better than the product.

phlmaestro2000

• Location: Philadelphia, PA
                                                      RE: pastrami in Philly (succulent pics!) Sat, 05/19/07 5:15 PM (permalink)
                                                      I just had a corned beef sandwich from Hershel's and it was MUCH better than the one I had when they first opened. The pastrami has also gotten better gradually IMO. This corned beef was really fabulous; one of the best CB sandwiches I've had. I ordered it with nothing on it and topped it off with the mustard of my choice at home.

I try to avoid going at peak times. I've seen a couple complaints about there being chaos behind the counter, but I generally walk right up and order a sandwich with no problem.

Phildelmar

RE: pastrami in Philly (succulent pics!) Sat, 05/19/07 5:47 PM (permalink)
                                                        How about the bread?

phlmaestro2000

• Location: Philadelphia, PA
                                                          RE: pastrami in Philly (succulent pics!) Sat, 05/19/07 6:25 PM (permalink)
                                                          The bread was fine. It's not the super thick rye that they use at Famous Fourth Street or Kibitz, but since they don't put the massive amount of meat in at Hershel's that they do at the other places, it's plenty thick enough. And it was fresh in spite of it being fairly late in the day.

And actually they do seem to be getting better at stacking those sandwiches. They seem to be thicker than in the first few weeks. While I prefer that a sandwich not be as thick as a place like Fourth Street, Carnegie or Harolds, I thought the first few sandwiches I had from Hershe's were a little too skimpy. The last couple sandwiches I've had from them have been just right in terms of size.

Fat Pig

• Total Posts: 72
                                                            • Location: Atlanta, GA
                                                            RE: pastrami in Philly (succulent pics!) Mon, 05/21/07 12:51 PM (permalink)
                                                            quote:
                                                            Originally posted by ellen4641

There is finally a real good pastrami place in Philly...

It is hand carved, as well. A decent sized sandwich for only $8.50.
                                                            Sure it is bigger at Harold's Deli in NJ, but it costs $15.00.
                                                            (I like both places)

[

How does it compare with the Kibitz Room in Cherry Hill? They set the standard for me.

Online Bookmarks Sharing: Share/Bookmark
                                                              Change Page: 123 > | Showing page 1 of 3, messages 1 to 30 of 61

Jump to:

Current active users

There are 0 members and 1 guests.

Icon Legend and Permission

• New Messages
                                                              • No New Messages
                                                              • Hot Topic w/ New Messages
                                                              • Hot Topic w/o New Messages
                                                              • Locked w/ New Messages
                                                              • Locked w/o New Messages
                                                              • Read Message
                                                              • Post New Thread
                                                              • Reply to message
                                                              • Post New Poll
                                                              • Submit Vote
                                                              • Post reward post
                                                              • Delete my own posts
                                                              • Delete my own threads
                                                              • Rate post

2000-2014 ASPPlayground.NET Forum Version 3.9
                                                              What is Roadfood?  |   Privacy Policy  |   Contact Roadfood.com   Copyright 2011 - Roadfood.com