paula deen

Page: 12 > Showing page 1 of 2
Author
californyguy
Double Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 513
2012/01/25 10:38:31 (permalink)

paula deen

am just wondering what others are thinking of the paula deen story.I have always liked her , liked her food too for the most part though I would not eat it every day..must say it does not look good though the way she held onto the diabtetes news for three years...what do others think?

43 Replies Related Threads

lleechef
    Sirloin
    • Total Posts : 6647
    Re:paula deen 2012/01/25 11:22:25 (permalink)
    I have always liked Paula Deen.  So what if she has diabetes?  Should she have a cooking show based on carrot and celery sticks?  Noone would watch.  I once made her gooey butter cake.  It was gooey and buttery and VERY sweet and I'll never make it again, but I enjoy watching her show once in a while.  The controversy now is that she is a spokesperson for the company that manufactures the diabetes medication.  I don't care.  I still like Paula.
    KurtSara
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 182
    Re:paula deen 2012/01/25 11:26:39 (permalink)
    californyguy

am just wondering what others are thinking of the paula deen story.I have always liked her , liked her food too for the most part though I would not eat it every day..must say it does not look good though the way she held onto the diabtetes news for three years...what do others think?

why does it not look good, it is her business or problem and nobody else.
    ces1948
    Double Chili Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 1505
    Re:paula deen 2012/01/25 11:27:06 (permalink)
    Paula has some delicious sounding recipes but even with me being a southerner I just can't stand to hear her talk. A lot of her "drawl" seems put on to me.
    As for her food I don't think you could ever mistake it health food.
    6star
    Filet Mignon
    • Total Posts : 4388
    Re:paula deen 2012/01/25 11:57:48 (permalink)
    It doesn't surprise me.  This is typical of most women.  They want to appear perfect, and don't want to admit having any flaws in public.  (That is why women wear makeup.)  In fact, the surprising thing is that she admitted to having diabetes even now, though that is probably because she thinks she can make some bucks promoting diabetes products.

She is a born-and-raised Southern cook (and a very good one).  Though I am sure I will get some argument about it, Southern cooking in general is not healthy cooking by present-day standards.  Because Southern food tastes good, it is very high in fat and calories, since the fat is what carries the flavor.  "Diet Scouthern cooking" is an oxymoron, since you need to artificially enhance the flavor of a dish to make it low calorie.  It wil be interesting to see how this all turns out.
    lleechef
    Sirloin
    • Total Posts : 6647
    Re:paula deen 2012/01/25 12:16:18 (permalink)
    6star, you're not getting any argument from me.  I agree with you 100%.
    fishtaco
    Double Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 778
    Re:paula deen 2012/01/25 13:57:24 (permalink)
    californyguy

I say to this as I have said to others, what buisness is it of the public to know what celeberities are suffering from. If one desires not tell the public they have diabtetes is that not their right?

californyguy
    Double Cheeseburger
    Re:paula deen 2012/01/25 14:17:22 (permalink)
    It does not look good because she continued to promote foods that are Unhealthy-I Love them too-and only came out with her diabetes news when she gort a big fat check for doing so....does not say much for her character...  
    mar52
    Sirloin
    • Total Posts : 7769
    Re:paula deen 2012/01/25 14:33:46 (permalink)
    What's it anyone's business?  It does not change the way she cooks.  We all know that tons of butter and sugar are not good for us.  Do we have to have a disclaimer read to us first?

It's her life and maybe she doesn't eat what she cooks.   She's a cooking teacher... not a Nutritionist.

Do we know if Emeril has heart disease?  Bobby Flay Arteriosclerosis?  Maybe Rick Bayless has been selling us his cheese laden recipes for years, is he suffering from hardening or the arteries?  It's none of our business.

Her doctor or someone close to her doctor released private information.    That was a breach of ethics and is where the problem lies,,,  not with Paula Dean.

What we choose to cook is our own responsibility.

californyguy
    Double Cheeseburger
    Re:paula deen 2012/01/25 14:48:23 (permalink)
    it was she who released the info,not some doctor & she did it only AFTER she got an endorsement deal for diabetes medicine-the more I think of ot the more squirley it seems....,ethically challanged to be sure  
    Michael Hoffman
    Double-chop Porterhouse
    • Total Posts : 18267
    Re:paula deen 2012/01/25 15:00:47 (permalink)
    californyguy

it was she who released the info,not some doctor & she did it only AFTER she got an endorsement deal for diabetes medicine-the more I think of ot the more squirley it seems....,ethically challanged to be sure  

It was leaked, and that's why she brought it out into the open.

felix4067
    Filet Mignon
    • Total Posts : 3444
    Re:paula deen 2012/01/25 15:11:22 (permalink)
    ces1948

Paula has some delicious sounding recipes but even with me being a southerner I just can't stand to hear her talk. A lot of her "drawl" seems put on to me.
    As for her food I don't think you could ever mistake it health food.

That is my exact opinion, using almost the exact same words I would have. Who looks at something with a cup of butter in it that serves just four people and thinks it's going to be healthy????

And I am VERY glad to finally find someone who hates listening to her talk! I may be from the north, but I spend an awful lot of time in the South, and I have literally never met anyone who talks with an overexaggerated drawl like hers.

As for when or how or why she "admitted" to having diabetes...so freaking what?!? Last I knew, we had this law in the US where people who are not authorized by you are not legally entitled to know anything about your medical condition or history. She told the people who matter...her family. The rest of us? What business is it of ours? Does her having diabetes magically make her cooking less healthy than it always has been? Is it just because she is a celebrity that we think we are entitled to know everything about her life?

If my father and my stepmother can keep hidden from the rest of my family that he has Alzheimer's on top of his Parkinson's for over a year, why should I expect Paula Deen (or anyone else) to tell me every little detail of their PERSONAL medical lives? It's none of our business if someone has a disease or not, unless that person is us.
    post edited by felix4067 - 2012/01/25 15:16:05
    jman
    • Total Posts : 1318
    Re:paula deen 2012/01/25 16:05:10 (permalink)
    californyguy

It does not look good because she continued to promote foods that are Unhealthy-I Love them too-and only came out with her diabetes news when she gort a big fat check for doing so....does not say much for her character...  

What a load of crap.  Millions of people can eat the type of dishes she cooks with no adverse effects.  For many people, it's the combination of eating this type of food (in excess) and having a sedentary lifestyle.  For others, they have a propensity for diabetes, heart problems, or other maladies due to genetics.  I have friends who "eat right" and exercise regularly and still have medical conditions that I don't have. 

Who are you to cast judgment on Deen?  You don't know her motivation.  You don't know what consideration she made for her decision. 
    CajunKing
    Sirloin
    • Total Posts : 6352
    Re:paula deen 2012/01/25 16:46:16 (permalink)
    Heck I am surprised she isnt hawking "Crestor" or "Lipitor" or some other statin drug with the amount of butter she uses.  BUT It is her choice to eat and cook the way she does.

If she is now promoting Novo  Nordisk so be it, no difference than an athlete promoting Gatorade or Ben-Gay.
    tiki
    Filet Mignon
    • Total Posts : 4140
    Re:paula deen 2012/01/25 16:47:54 (permalink)
    Just this week i was told that i too have diabetes----don't worry--i WILL beat this--doc says i have been doing well on my diet and just need to kick it and i will get of a LOT of the meds i use and take care of other medical problems to--hell-i beat a ruptured abdominal aortic anuerism-i can beat this too!---in any case--it wasn't Paula's fault--or any of the other folks that developed the foods that i loved and OVER-CONSUMED that put me in this situation--it was MINE!!! I knew long before i ate it them that THIS IS NOT HEALTH FOOD!!!! I choose to eat them and blaming Paula---or my mom--or Noni--or ANYONE else, is a cop out. Fact is--you do the crime---you do the time! There is no way i can hold it against Paula for making a living and supporting a family--ON HER OWN i might add!--If WE weren't drooling over her food--she would NOT HAVE SOLD IT TO US! I say Good luck to you Paula--i support you 100% even if i didnt watch your show and did agree with Anthony Bourdain about you being a dangerous cook---after all--Tony's lifestyle is not exactly what i would call "Healthy" either!!----so--pour another round and don't bogart that joint,Tony and pass the gooey cake, Paula--lets do it one more time before i "reform" my diabetes ridden self and save my butt too!

post edited by tiki - 2012/01/25 16:49:54
    ken8038
    • Total Posts : 1587
    Re:paula deen 2012/01/25 16:48:38 (permalink)
    <<It was leaked, and that's why she brought it out into the open. >>

Maybe so, but it took her exactly 12 seconds to turn it into a big fat (um, no pun intended, maybe) endorsement deal.  THAT's what I object to. Normal people who have diabetes are not fortunate enough to make millions out of it, they just have to suffer with it.
    fattybomatty
    • Total Posts : 1017
    Re:paula deen 2012/01/25 16:55:40 (permalink)
    I agree with both sides on this.  People are responsible for their own lives and what they eat/do.  However, being a person of influence, I feel Paula should change her show to cooking delicious diabetic diet meals because I'm sure she isn't eating what she is making on the show. Talk on her show about what it is like living with diabetes and making sure you eat the proper diet to control it.  

I don't think this is too much to ask.  
    californyguy
    Double Cheeseburger
    Re:paula deen 2012/01/25 17:06:36 (permalink)

...I think she was my favorite food network cook ,but no more..anyone who cannot see that she has done wrong/been irresponsible  has had one too many fried cornpone burgers ! 
    mar52
    Sirloin
    Re:paula deen 2012/01/25 17:26:32 (permalink)
    Time to move on to Ina Garten...
    felix4067
    Filet Mignon
    Re:paula deen 2012/01/25 17:27:19 (permalink)
    californyguy

...I think she was my favorite food network cook ,but no more..anyone who cannot see that she has done wrong/been irresponsible  has had one too many fried cornpone burgers ! 

I am not sure what a fried cornpone burger is, and neither are you.

Is it irresponsible to post reviews on this site of restaurants that cook with full fats, that deep-fry, that serve huge portions, that load a plate with carbohydrates? Or should everyone take just a little personal responsibility for their own choices?

As for whether or not she should be allowed to turn her disease into a profit for herself monetarily when "regular" people can't...I assume that was a joke. Because by that logic, people like Michael J. Fox shouldn't be allowed to call attention to Parkinson's. Sally Field shouldn't be allowed to advertise about osteoperosis. Marcia Cross shouldn't be allowed to endorse products that help with her migraines. Kathleen Turner shouldn't be allowed to advertise for medicines that help with rheumatoid arthritis.

The primary reason celebrities sponsor a product or research facility is most of the time because they or someone close to them develops the disease. They choose to use their celebrity to raise awareness of a disease. If a particular drug company chooses to pay them to endorse their particular product, sometimes they do so. Sometimes they don't.

But before y'all start getting on your high horses about Paula Deen raking in the cash for her endorsement of Victoza, you should probably know that she is donating a portion of said endorsements to the American Diabetes Association. And to assume she is making "millions" is just ignorant. Neither she nor Novo Nordisk has said how much they're paying her. She and her family are also going to participate in diabetes health expos around the country free of charge.
    post edited by felix4067 - 2012/01/25 17:31:34
    Sundancer7
    Fire Safety Admin
    • Total Posts : 13476
    Re:paula deen 2012/01/25 19:06:01 (permalink)
    tiki

Just this week i was told that i too have diabetes----don't worry--i WILL beat this--doc says i have been doing well on my diet and just need to kick it and i will get of a LOT of the meds i use and take care of other medical problems to--hell-i beat a ruptured abdominal aortic anuerism-i can beat this too!---in any case--it wasn't Paula's fault--or any of the other folks that developed the foods that i loved and OVER-CONSUMED that put me in this situation--it was MINE!!! I knew long before i ate it them that THIS IS NOT HEALTH FOOD!!!! I choose to eat them and blaming Paula---or my mom--or Noni--or ANYONE else, is a cop out. Fact is--you do the crime---you do the time! There is no way i can hold it against Paula for making a living and supporting a family--ON HER OWN i might add!--If WE weren't drooling over her food--she would NOT HAVE SOLD IT TO US! I say Good luck to you Paula--i support you 100% even if i didnt watch your show and did agree with Anthony Bourdain about you being a dangerous cook---after all--Tony's lifestyle is not exactly what i would call "Healthy" either!!----so--pour another round and don't bogart that joint,Tony and pass the gooey cake, Paula--lets do it one more time before i "reform" my diabetes ridden self and save my butt too!

Tiki:  Exactly.  We are all responsible for our own behavior.  Those of us who drink, smoke, eat and whatever, we do on our own accord.  I agree with you.

Paul E. Smith
    Knoxville, TN 

jman
    • Total Posts : 1318
    Re:paula deen 2012/01/25 19:12:22 (permalink)
    californyguy

I think you've landed in the wrong place.  The holier-than-thou contention is meeting around the corner.  It's difficult for me to read what you've written and look where you're located and not come to my own conclusions about you.

To suggest that you have some great moral authority to judge her actions, especially when you're not privy to the details, is beyond arrogant.  You choose to live in a state where the people are apparently happy with being told what to eat, what to drive, and how not to defend yourself, but that's your problem.  The rest of us are big enough to decide for ourselves.
    post edited by jman - 2012/01/25 20:07:01
    mar52
    Sirloin
    Re:paula deen 2012/01/25 20:05:42 (permalink)
    Profit or not, Paula Dean has a big following... a following that might benefit from her paring with a diabetes drug firm. 

Same way books sell because Oprah says something good about them.

It's a good thing that is being done.
    post edited by mar52 - 2012/01/25 20:06:57
    ann peeples
    Sirloin
    • Total Posts : 8317
    Re:paula deen 2012/01/25 20:37:05 (permalink)
    She is not holier than thou-she is a TV cook . Diabetes( I am type two) has come from our eating habits, drinking habits, but not her fault!I dont like her neccessarily, but lets be real, my friends! her use of butter could be more of a contributor to cholesterol problems. No one seems to bother with that!
    californyguy
    Double Cheeseburger
    Re:paula deen 2012/01/25 22:23:56 (permalink)
    To suggest that you have some great moral authority to judge her actions, especially when you're not privy to the details, is beyond arrogant. You choose to live in a state where the people are apparently happy with being told what to eat, what to drive, and how not to defend yourself, but that's your problem. The rest of us are big enough to decide for ourselves.

MERELY EXPRESSING AN OPINION....HOLY BUTTERSTICKS BATMAN!    
    post edited by californyguy - 2012/01/25 22:26:00
    felix4067
    Filet Mignon
    Re:paula deen 2012/01/25 22:41:08 (permalink)
    Perhaps so, californyguy...but while expressing your opinion you made it clear that anyone who doesn't agree with you is wrong, implying that you and only you have the inside track to correct opinions.
    Greymo
    Filet Mignon
    • Total Posts : 3710
    Re:paula deen 2012/01/25 22:42:42 (permalink)
    I wish that I could make some money with my medical problems..................more power to her.
    saps
    • Total Posts : 1560
    Re:paula deen 2012/01/25 23:33:18 (permalink)
    Paula Deen is nothing but a self-serving profiteer.  I had the misfortune of seeing her at the restaurant show a few years ago in Chicago.  Other celebrity chefs were there signing books or anything else, and they were outgoing and friendly to the attendees.  She couldn't be bothered by anyone.   With her phony drawl and after seeing how she is outside of her TV show, I find her to be disingenuous- and the way she fawns over her sons is beyond creepy.

I wouldn't put her in the same class as Michael J. Fox, who has worked pretty hard to increase Parkinson's awareness over a fairly long period of time.  Paula Deen has really done nothing to this point.  Maybe she will, but my guess is that she won't unless the $$$$ are there. 

In the meantime, let's all calm down and enjoy watching Paula getting hit with a frozen ham.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=btq3u7oi7K8
    felix4067
    Filet Mignon
    Re:paula deen 2012/01/26 00:21:51 (permalink)
    saps

I wouldn't put her in the same class as Michael J. Fox, who has worked pretty hard to increase Parkinson's awareness over a fairly long period of time.  Paula Deen has really done nothing to this point.  Maybe she will, but my guess is that she won't unless the $$$$ are there. 

And I didn't. But really, if you think about it, Michael J. Fox certainly didn't tell the world the moment he was diagnosed. And he didn't immediately start working toward increasing awareness. He waited eight years between diagnosis and going public, in fact. Give the woman a chance! Because you nailed it...your guess. My guess. Anyone's guess. We simply don't know, because we are not her. Sometimes finding out about a serious illness changes people dramatically. She could very well shock us all in the morning with an announcement that she's going to donate half of her net worth to the ADA. Or...she could prove her naysayers correct and refuse to give them any money whatsoever. The fact remains, we're all guessing until she actually does something.

I don't like her myself, but I find it silly that so many people who used to like her now hate her because of this.
    billyboy
    • Total Posts : 2392
    Re:paula deen 2012/01/26 00:49:44 (permalink)
    I think part of the problem is that there is a huge difference in the public perception of diabetes vs. other diseases/ailments as felix4067 pointed out in an earlier post (osteoporosis, Parkinson's, migraines, rheumatoid arthritis). It seems that diabetes is seen as a "blame the victim" disease, they brought it on themselves due to poor lifestyle choices as opposed to having it befall them due to genetics or luck of the draw, as it were.

Not really a fan of her show or food, not my thing. Glad though that she is taking a tough situation and trying to make something positive about it. Like a lot of folks on here said, her personal medical info is her own business and if she wants to release none, some or all, that her prerogatiive to do so as she sees fit.
    Page: 12 > Showing page 1 of 2
    Jump to:
    © 2014 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1