Sign In | Register for Free!
Restaurants Recipes Forums EatingTours Merchandise FAQ Maps Insider
Forum Themes:
Welcome !

philly cheese steak

Change Page: 12 > | Showing page 1 of 2, messages 1 to 30 of 38
cas537

• Total Posts: 5
philly cheese steak Fri, 07/11/08 9:25 AM (permalink)
If in Spencer, MA, try Spencer House of Pizza on Mechanic St opposite the post office (off Main St or Rt 9). Best in the area. Even the small size is large.

GNeedles59

• Total Posts: 594
    RE: philly cheese steak Fri, 07/11/08 10:09 AM (permalink)
    Best philly cheesesteak in MA, thats like me looking for authentic mexican in NJ!

I kid I kid, what type of cheese do they use? wiz?

seatown76

• Total Posts: 379
      RE: philly cheese steak Fri, 07/11/08 10:10 AM (permalink)
      It's not the siza that matters it's the taste. What kind of beef do they use, what kind of cheese and so on.

AddaLittleKick

• Total Posts: 5
        RE: philly cheese steak Tue, 07/15/08 10:58 AM (permalink)
        Is the meat diced or slabbed? How's the bread. That's the most important part of any good sandiwch, especially a Philly cheesesteak.

Reils133

• Total Posts: 1
          RE: philly cheese steak Sat, 08/2/08 1:48 PM (permalink)
          My friends, the only place for a Philly CheeseSteak is at Pat's Cheesesteaks in Pilly itself! It is most certainly the "BEST" cheesesteak sandwich in the country! I live on Long Island NY and would, at the drop of the hat, get into my car for the two hour ride there. Plus you are going to one of the best cities in the country. Take in the other food site in the "City Of Brotherly Love" and go get your cheesesteak at Pat's.

cavandre

• Total Posts: 1597
            RE: philly cheese steak Thu, 08/7/08 12:01 PM (permalink)
            quote:
            Originally posted by Reils133

My friends, the only place for a Philly CheeseSteak is at Pat's Cheesesteaks in Pilly itself! It is most certainly the "BEST" cheesesteak sandwich in the country! I live on Long Island NY and would, at the drop of the hat, get into my car for the two hour ride there. Plus you are going to one of the best cities in the country. Take in the other food site in the "City Of Brotherly Love" and go get your cheesesteak at Pat's.

Since I'm a little more than a 2 hr. drive to Philly, I'll give you an even more outlandish location...Satellite Beach, FL (that's about a 1/2 hrr. drive south of the Kennedy Space Center.)

The place is called "Little Phillie's" and the owner lived in Philly. The options are with or without onions & your choice of American, Provolone or Cheez Whiz. The meat is diced (with the onions if you wanted them) & served on a fresh hot hoagie roll. If you're in the area & need a fix, this is a godsend.

No website yet...190 Hwy. A1A, Satellite Beach, FL (just south of Patrick A.F.B.)

GNeedles59

• Total Posts: 594
              RE: philly cheese steak Thu, 08/7/08 1:12 PM (permalink)
              quote:
              Originally posted by Reils133

Chinks is my choice, superior in every way.

socalswimmer

• Total Posts: 1
                RE: philly cheese steak Sat, 08/9/08 7:26 PM (permalink)
                I've been to Philly and had a cheese steak there. It was ok. The BEST I ever had was about the farthest away you can get from Philly in the US, Anchorage Alaska. The Governor owns a small deli in the middle of town. I went there for a swimming competition once, and had this sandwich. It blew my mind! It was so amazingly delicious in the middle of a blizzard. Who knew?

leethebard

• Total Posts: 6081
                  RE: philly cheese steak Sat, 08/9/08 8:00 PM (permalink)
                  Well.. the best Eskimo Pie I ever had was in Philly!!

Baah Ben

• Total Posts: 3026
                    RE: philly cheese steak Sat, 08/9/08 8:09 PM (permalink)
                    Famous Philly's here in Port Orange, FL makes a very interesting version. They chop up the meat, onions and peppers on the griddle and mix in the cheese..So, it's almost like a paste? You don't see the cheese, but you can clearly taste it. It comes out steaming hot..So hot you cannot eat it right away. But, it does taste pretty good. Is it a true Philly cheesesteak? I wouldn't know...Never been to Philly in all the years I lived in NY/NJ

Holly Moore

RE: philly cheese steak Sat, 08/9/08 9:25 PM (permalink)
                      In Philadelphia a cheesesteak is called a cheesesteak. When attempts are referred to as a Philly cheesesteak or Philadelphia Style cheesesteak, it is time to consider ordering a hamburger.

CheeseWit

• Total Posts: 1393
                        • Roadfood Insider
                        RE: philly cheese steak Sat, 08/9/08 10:01 PM (permalink)
                        Thanks Holly. I was holding off on making that distinction only because I've made it so many times over the years on this and other sites.

cavandre

RE: philly cheese steak Sun, 08/10/08 8:49 AM (permalink)
                          But even in Philly, isn't there some disagreement over what's a Cheesesteak? Some prefer sliced meat, while others prefer the diced version. Then there's the question of which cheese to use? I assume peppers & mushrooms are not allowed? I await the responses of the Philly natives.

Holly Moore

RE: philly cheese steak Sun, 08/10/08 9:53 AM (permalink)
                            Sliced vs chopped is generally regional. Most South Philadelphia cheesesteaks are sliced, Ridge Avenue area cheesesteaks are chopped. Of course there are variations due to the invention of motorized transport and the resultant intermingling of neighborhoods.

Sliced provolone was the original cheese for cheesesteaks. But as South Philadelphians came to understand that a cheesesteak's raison d'etre is grease, their preferences evolved from cheese to cheez. Cheez Whiz is now the preferred choice. It is impossible to properly order a cheesesteak - "whiz with" - and end up with provolone.

Peppers and mushrooms are available for tourists and Craig LaBan.

John A

• Total Posts: 4295
                              RE: philly cheese steak Mon, 08/11/08 5:46 PM (permalink)
                              It's not from Pat's in Philly but my family loves my ribeye cheesesteaks.

cavandre

RE: philly cheese steak Mon, 08/11/08 5:51 PM (permalink)
                                Looks very good...are you open for business?

Baah Ben

RE: philly cheese steak Mon, 08/11/08 5:59 PM (permalink)
                                  John..Where did you get the bread? Doesn't look like a Publix hogie unless you got lucky and got one of their well done rolls? Where are the fries Bro?

Hey, have you been to Famous Philly's in Port Orange? What do you think of it. They ahve this lunch special for like $6.95 with a soda and the sandwich is their "half" and it is huge!

You da man...Love your cooking photos! Hope all is well with you.

Twinwillow

• Total Posts: 4898
                                    RE: philly cheese steak Mon, 08/11/08 6:25 PM (permalink)
                                    quote:
                                    Originally posted by John A

It's not from Pat's in Philly but my family loves my ribeye cheesesteaks.

And, probably better than, Pat's.

TJ Jackson

• Total Posts: 4484
                                      RE: philly cheese steak Mon, 08/11/08 6:40 PM (permalink)
                                      quote:
                                      Originally posted by cavandre

But even in Philly, isn't there some disagreement over what's a Cheesesteak? Some prefer sliced meat, while others prefer the diced version. Then there's the question of which cheese to use? I assume peppers & mushrooms are not allowed? I await the responses of the Philly natives.

In addition to what Holly said, there are some bread differences as well, such as the thinner roll used at Steves (My fave, albeit I've only ever been to 4 legit cheesesteak joints) versus the larger, fluffier roll at many other joints

MiamiDon

RE: philly cheese steak Tue, 08/12/08 9:36 AM (permalink)
                                        quote:
                                        Originally posted by Baah Ben

John..Where did you get the bread? Doesn't look like a Publix hogie unless you got lucky and got one of their well done rolls?

Baah Ben, that's what I immediately zeroed in on. The hoagie rolls around here that I have been able to find are insipid.

John A

• Total Posts: 4295
                                          RE: philly cheese steak Tue, 08/12/08 9:58 AM (permalink)
                                          quote:
                                          Originally posted by Baah Ben

John..Where did you get the bread? Doesn't look like a Publix hogie unless you got lucky and got one of their well done rolls? Where are the fries Bro?

Hey, have you been to Famous Philly's in Port Orange? What do you think of it. They ahve this lunch special for like $6.95 with a soda and the sandwich is their "half" and it is huge!

You da man...Love your cooking photos! Hope all is well with you.

Hey BB. I've heard a lot of good things about Famous Philly but have not been there. With my appetite I would need a couple of people to help me eat one of their cheesesteaks.

The roll is from Publix, I pop them into the oven for a minute before putting the sandwich together and again to melt the cheese, they get a nice crust that way.

wanderingjew

• Total Posts: 7386
                                            • Location: East Greenwich/ Warwick, RI
                                            • Roadfood Insider
                                            RE: philly cheese steak Tue, 08/12/08 10:09 AM (permalink)
                                            quote:

I assume peppers & mushrooms are not allowed?

Absolutely,

Neither are boiled or semi raw onions which it seems a good portion of the country seems to prefer.

CheeseWit

• Total Posts: 1393
                                              • Roadfood Insider
                                              RE: philly cheese steak Tue, 08/12/08 10:45 AM (permalink)
                                              quote:
                                              Originally posted by wanderingjew

quote:

Absolutely,

Neither are boiled or semi raw onions which it seems a good portion of the country seems to prefer.

Dale: I do get Mushroom Cheesesteaks. They're not as rare as you might think. And, just about every shop offers fried or raw onions. Purists might not go for Mushroom Cheesesteaks or raw onions, but both are offered everywhere.

fattybomatty

• Total Posts: 1017
                                                • Location: North Plainfield, NJ
                                                RE: philly cheese steak Tue, 08/12/08 10:49 AM (permalink)
                                                I don't see why a certain item wouldn't be allowed on a cheese steak if that's what you like to eat.

wanderingjew

• Total Posts: 7386
                                                  • Location: East Greenwich/ Warwick, RI
                                                  • Roadfood Insider
                                                  RE: philly cheese steak Tue, 08/12/08 10:50 AM (permalink)
                                                  quote:
                                                  Originally posted by CheeseWit

quote:
                                                  Originally posted by wanderingjew

quote:

Absolutely,

Dale: I do get Mushroom Cheesesteaks. They're not as rare as you might think. And, just about every shop offers fried or raw onions. Purists might not go for Mushroom Cheesesteaks or raw onions, but both are offered everywhere.

I know, I was thinking from the "purist perspective"
                                                  Unfortunately in many parts of the country, it seems they don't know how to fry onions, so you either get semi raw or boiled onions.

WarToad

• Total Posts: 1787
                                                    RE: philly cheese steak Tue, 08/12/08 10:54 AM (permalink)
                                                    fattybomatty - I agree. Put a little grilled onion and pepper on there. 'Shrooms too would be great.

Personally, I never touch fake cheese (whiz), life's too short for imitations. Put something real on there.

fattybomatty

• Total Posts: 1017
                                                      • Location: North Plainfield, NJ
                                                      RE: philly cheese steak Tue, 08/12/08 10:59 AM (permalink)
                                                      It's funny Wartoad because I HATE cheese whiz except on a cheese steak. I don't know what it is about the whiz on the steak with the ketchup, but it just works. I like provolone and american cheese on my cheese steaks as well. All depends on my mood and where I'm eating the steak at.

There's this place in Gloucester City, NJ right across the river from Philly that makes the best Cheese steak stromboli. It's called Sal's and Pat's. Every time I am down that way I make sure to get one.

Baah Ben

• Location: Ormond Beach, FL
                                                        RE: philly cheese steak Tue, 08/12/08 11:04 AM (permalink)
                                                        Thanks John..I was just wondering about that roll. I said to myself, where else could he have gotten a decent bread...Hey, you caught Publix on one of their good baking days. Or, could it just be your excellent camera work

Miami Don - Yeah, even in So Florida, we had a a hell of a time getting a decent bread. But, we always did with a little driving. The Reinessance (I've butchered the spelling) on around 129th and Biscayne had great artisan breads! There is also an incredible place called Croissant Time in Ft. Lauderdale. You have got to go to this place for breakfast! It's is absolutely wonderful! Have coffee (they ahve tables and chairs) with a great chocolate, rasperry or almond croissant. Their bakery goods are amazing! Take home some loaves of fantastic French bread and make your cheesesteaks

Then, there's my favorite Jewish bakery..Family Bakery on 44th and University in Ft. Lauderdale. But, I know all are a haul for you. So, why not the Epicure's bakery for a good loaf of bread for a cheesesteak? Incidently, Epicure use to be wonderful, but it is not as good as either place I jsut mentioned to you.

cavandre

• Location: Melbourne, FL
                                                          RE: philly cheese steak Tue, 08/12/08 11:21 AM (permalink)
                                                          Baah Ben...Little Phillies (mentioned earlier in this thread) is less than 15 minutes from that place you stop for pizza off Exit 191 of I-95.

MiamiDon

RE: philly cheese steak Tue, 08/12/08 11:39 AM (permalink)
                                                            Baah Ben - Yeah, I can get some decent artisanal bread around this end of the county, but a proper hoagie roll, or a kaiser-roll/hard-roll is hard to find. There is a bakery nearby that used to have excellent baguettes, but the original owners sold it, and the new ones don't do a good job. I figured that there would be some places up in Aventura. I have never bought bread there, but I suspect that Lorenzo's in North Miami Beach might have some. It's just that a 70 mile round trip for a sub roll is a bit much on my typical Saturday! It probably would be about 2-1/2 hours.

Online Bookmarks Sharing: Share/Bookmark
                                                              Change Page: 12 > | Showing page 1 of 2, messages 1 to 30 of 38

Jump to:

Current active users

There are 0 members and 1 guests.

Icon Legend and Permission

• New Messages
                                                              • No New Messages
                                                              • Hot Topic w/ New Messages
                                                              • Hot Topic w/o New Messages
                                                              • Locked w/ New Messages
                                                              • Locked w/o New Messages
                                                              • Read Message
                                                              • Post New Thread
                                                              • Reply to message
                                                              • Post New Poll
                                                              • Submit Vote
                                                              • Post reward post
                                                              • Delete my own posts
                                                              • Delete my own threads
                                                              • Rate post

2000-2014 ASPPlayground.NET Forum Version 3.9
                                                              What is Roadfood?  |   Privacy Policy  |   Contact Roadfood.com   Copyright 2011 - Roadfood.com