Hot!pink slime meat product in burger meat?

Page: < 12345 Showing page 5 of 5
Author
Bistro a go-go
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 171
Re:pink slime meat product in burger meat? 2012/04/05 17:54:04 (permalink)
anyone bashes dogs around  here will be tarred and feathered and served as an apetizer for some newt gingrich fund raiser. now, go back over there and put your nose in the corner,...
Dr of BBQ
Filet Mignon
  • Total Posts : 3716
Flagged as Spam (1)
Re:pink slime meat product in burger meat? 2012/04/06 08:36:29 (permalink)
(Reuters) - Surprise rippled across America last month as a new wave of consumers discovered that hamburgers often contained ammonia-treated beef, or what critics dub "pink slime".

What they may not have known is that ammonia - often associated with cleaning products - was cleared by U.S. health officials nearly 40 years ago and is used in making many foods, including cheese. Related compounds have a role in baked goods and chocolate products.

They writers said using small amounts of ammonia to make food is not unusual to those expert in high-tech food production. Now that little known world is coming under increasing pressure from concerned consumers who want to know more about what they are eating.

In another report from CNN I watched yesterday they claimed using it or any other product as a filler for ground beef, is made from fatty trimmings that are more likely to contamination than other cuts of beef, and so they are sprayed with ammonium hydroxide - ammonia mixed with water - to remove salmonella and E.coli.

http://www.reuters.com/ar...&YM_MID=%60mmid%60
post edited by Dr of BBQ - 2012/04/06 18:32:41
joerogo
Filet Mignon
  • Total Posts : 4534
Re:pink slime meat product in burger meat? 2012/04/06 08:49:04 (permalink)
This is very disheartening.  I always like to dip my Wonder Bread in the sauce when I am eating Chef Boyardee Mini Ravioli.

Thanks a lot Doc!
Dr of BBQ
Filet Mignon
  • Total Posts : 3716
Re:pink slime meat product in burger meat? 2012/04/06 08:55:13 (permalink)
LMAO your welcome Joe. Currently WLS Radio (they cover something like 30 states) is interviewing a Rep on this topic. It is apparent that the industry is putting a big public relations push on to try and counter the bad PR on this topic. The guy is calling Pink Slime a "Lean Nutritious Product". with added water. LOL I think this entire thing is very interesting.
post edited by Dr of BBQ - 2012/04/06 09:15:26
CCinNJ
Sirloin
  • Total Posts : 7778
Re:pink slime meat product in burger meat? 2012/04/06 09:34:18 (permalink)
Sapphire some companies that make hot dogs have risen to a higher standard of quality and always have when if comes to the quality of their hot dogs. They take pride in their product and it is not about meeting the minimum. It is about satisfying their very loyal (for several generations) customer base. Nobody had to tell them to cut it out. Not just one company or a few...all of the companies that are popular here and many other areas where hot dogs are loved.

Now...you go to the front page!! There you will find the Creamator from NJ! It is made from a high-quality hot dog...but you are in trouble because it says Beware The Creamator!!! I hear thunder and I am like 20 miles away from The Creamator! Thank you very much!!!

See what happens? Lol
post edited by CCinNJ - 2012/04/06 09:42:48
MilwFoodlovers
Filet Mignon
  • Total Posts : 3154
Re:pink slime meat product in burger meat? 2012/04/06 14:10:47 (permalink)
Thanks Doc. A pox on whoever marked your message as "spam". It's not that I'm thrilled about ingesting ammonia as I'm not, but that's not my gripe. What frosts me as to the parts that are so contaminated with fecal matter, they must be treated at all. When it comes to poop smeared fat, sinew or even muscle meat, I don't want it even if it were sprayed with gold. Treating with Citric Acid isn't going to get me to eat it. The uproar over packaging meats with carbon monoxide to give it shelf life and a bright red color seems to have died down but I avoid it like it was filled with worms.

joerogo
Filet Mignon
  • Total Posts : 4534
Re:pink slime meat product in burger meat? 2012/04/10 09:55:52 (permalink)
Another jerk-off who likes pink slime in his meat.

The industry is not going to let go of this.  It appears the were making a killing on this stuff.  And some of those profits probably ended up in the pockets of politicians.  It's going to be interesting, very interesting.
MilwFoodlovers
Filet Mignon
Re:pink slime meat product in burger meat? 2012/04/10 22:03:40 (permalink)
....And about 20 years ago, with the blessing of the USDA for safety....
Really? A little history here~
Some USDA scientists had argued against approval, saying that it was not "meat" and was in fact "salvage," but were overruled; approval was ultimately granted by then-Under Secretary of Agriculture JoAnne Smith, who according to former USDA microbiologist Carl Custer stated "It's pink, therefore it's meat." Smith left the USDA in 1993 and joined the board of directors of BPI's principal supplier, where according to ABC News she made at least $1.2 million over 17 years.

CCinNJ
Sirloin
Re:pink slime meat product in burger meat? 2012/04/10 22:55:15 (permalink)
Here's a happy story from North Bergen...

http://www.northjersey.co...LaFrieda.html?mobile=1

We have no farms....but we do have butchers.
MetroplexJim
Filet Mignon
  • Total Posts : 4117
Re:pink slime meat product in burger meat? 2012/04/11 09:20:05 (permalink)
The issue here is not that BPI is either "safe or unsafe" or "nutricious or drek".

The issue is "truth in labelling".

Just "let me know" and I will decide where to spend my increasingly scarce $$$!

There are some products which, even though they are perfectly safe and many enjoy them, I simply do not buy because of my (entirely subjective) "ick factor", e.g., chitterlings and sweetbreads just to name a few.  I can't stand the texture of kidneys and liver; the taste of lamb and mutton revolts me. 

Oddly though, I love sausage, hot dogs, pate, and a wide variety of charcuterie even though I know that they may be composed of "whole ingredients" that I would otherwise disdain.  In regard to such food prodicts I am simply very selective in my vendors.

And yes, I have had some "Chevy Chase lamb fries" moments; an especially memorable one that happened on the Bolivian shore of Lake Titicaca involved my wolfing down blood sausage until I was told what it was.  (Becoming ill is bad enough; try it sometime at 14,000')!

I may be a bit eccentric, but as a Free Citizen of the United States of America, as long as I do no harm to another I have every right to be.  It's one thing to be deceived by a vendor.  When I discover their perfidy I simply take my business elsewhere.  But it is quite another matter when some f-ing bureaucrat (who is, after all, my employee) tries to "pull sh*t" either for "my own good" or under the theory that "what I don't know won't hurt me (but will benefit some lobbyist)".  That is what I find to be intoletable.

Now that the cat is out of the bag on BPI, FTB, etc., let the chips fall where they may and $$$ be spent where they will by an informed public.  May God Bless America!

CCinNJ
Sirloin
Re:pink slime meat product in burger meat? 2012/04/11 10:41:11 (permalink)
Now you know. But truth is the meat dept.. of most Supermarket chains are serviced by meat wrappers these days. They unload unpack weigh wrap label fill the cases with product sent from the supplier. They might have a butcher on staff...for special requests etc.

The structure is there and has been there for years. This issue might change but it is doubtful that this will change the structure of turn-key Supermarket /supplier operations. Much like chain restaurants...labor costs are lower...and so is quality. Price is the only thing that is not lower vs. a quality skilled source. Expectations must still be high if so many people wait on Supermarket chains to change.

Solution you get from the Supermarket is usually injected into your meat.
post edited by CCinNJ - 2012/04/11 10:44:43
6star
Filet Mignon
  • Total Posts : 4388
Re:pink slime meat product in burger meat? 2012/04/16 09:43:14 (permalink)
The comic Non Sequitur comments today:
http://www.arcamax.com/thefunnies/nonsequitur/
MilwFoodlovers
Filet Mignon
Re:pink slime meat product in burger meat? 2012/04/16 15:13:53 (permalink)
CCinNJ
Sirloin
Re:pink slime meat product in burger meat? 2012/04/16 15:46:05 (permalink)
Booty Burger Tartare. Mmmmmm.
tmiles
Double Chili Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 1994
Re:pink slime meat product in burger meat? 2014/06/07 17:55:28 (permalink)
Now it is in short supply.......

After the "news" came out, nobody wanted "pink slime", and plants were shut down. People were re assigned or got other jobs. Now the few plants left are overwhelmed with orders. "People who wouldn't return calls a year ago are calling 10 times a day begging for product". It turns out to be a valuable food ingredient, and some products that were reformulated without it have seen a big drop in sales. The sales drop may be due to higher price, or flavor, or both. 

I suggest that, look for it on the ingredient label and make your own informed choice. Personally I don't see it as any more disgusting than the "mechanicly separated chicken" that is in so many products that I buy.
post edited by tmiles - 2014/06/09 17:45:32
Page: < 12345 Showing page 5 of 5
Jump to:
© 2014 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1