pittsburgh bbq

Page: < 1234 > Showing page 2 of 4
Author
buffetbuster
Porterhouse
  • Total Posts : 10285
Re:pittsburgh bbq 2009/12/04 16:06:28 (permalink)
Mosca-
I never knew that Pittsburgh or the Mon Valley had their own style of sauce.  This has been very informative.
post edited by buffetbuster - 2009/12/18 10:45:43
Mosca
Filet Mignon
  • Total Posts : 2980
Re:pittsburgh bbq 2009/12/04 17:24:21 (permalink)
bb, I think gregys know more about it than I do. I've only ever had Jerome's in the Mon Valley, and that isn't enough for me to define a style; and I moved out here in 1987. Extrapolating gregys' recipe in my head to what I think it will taste like, it looks pretty good, but I'll have to make it and try it to see if it ignites the memory buds.

Gregys; I took the liberty of moving up one level on your website. NICE chicken soup recipe! And we share another common interest, audio equipment. I run mostly analog: vinyl, tubes, and electrostatics. Nothing against digital or solid state, it's just what is. No question that your electronic experience is your life, and listening to it is my hobby; but it's nice to share, regardless! Remember Tasso Spanos? I bought a pair of Luxman MB 3045s from him, still one of my favorite amps of all time. But one of the hand-wound output transformers went, and for the replacement cost I had a pair of boat anchors. He tried to sell me a used Futterman, I passed. Too many tubes, it was intimidating and I wasn't rich enough. The Obie Bomb Shelter home: I grew up in Pleasant Hills, probably know where that house is. Lots of other cool and idiosyncratic stuff;  excellent.
post edited by Mosca - 2009/12/04 17:28:51
Ralph Melton
Double Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 897
Re:pittsburgh bbq 2009/12/16 16:46:31 (permalink)
I had good ribs yesterday from the Double Wide Grill on the South Side. (http://www.doublewidegrill.com) Very tender, with a nice smokey sauce.

I have mixed feelings about the Double Wide Grill. I'm basically in favor of doing good Southern cooking in Pittsburgh, and I still remain in favor when the menu adds vegetarian options. But sometimes the menu seems to be mocking the rural Southern culture whose cuisine it's featuring, and that bugs me.
bka0664
Junior Burger
  • Total Posts : 10
Re:pittsburgh bbq 2009/12/17 02:59:21 (permalink)
Hello all, my first post here. 

Don't know why I was poking around the internet looking for Jeromes... but I did.  I grew up with in 10 miles or so of Jerome's bbq..  we called it the Rib Shack and some refered to it as Jerome's Jungle Club (old days).  Later when I got my first appartment it was in Sunnyside..  a 2 minute walk across the rail road tracks to Jeromes's.  My friends and I frequented it. 

Long story short... 20 some years ago I moved to Alaska.  Before leaving, my Nana and my Dad gave me several family recipes to take with me.  Along with Nana's raviolli's and Dad's apple pie recipe I also received the recipe for Jerome's basic rib sauce.  The story was the same as I read in an above post that Jerome lost it in a poker game.  I don't know that for fact.

I still have it...  as a matter of fact I'm looking at in now.  I have made it several times here and will say that if it's not the actual sauce it's as close as I could ever attemp to copy it.  To make it hotter to the levels of Hot or Atomic or Batman Jerome just added more ceyanne and/or red pepper flakes.

Now I'm not sure if it's the right thing to post the recipe,  and I'm not even sure if I want to give it away.  I will say that without the tomato products and water in the recipe there are nine different seasonings or spices, and yes one is deffinately celery seed.

I will look forward to all comments on my post and will check this sight regularly.  Thanks.

Mosca
Filet Mignon
Re:pittsburgh bbq 2009/12/17 10:47:49 (permalink)
Man. Jerome's was legendary for those of us who grew up in the lower Mon Valley during a certain age, like Green Man. 
buffetbuster
Porterhouse
Re:pittsburgh bbq 2009/12/18 10:49:00 (permalink)
bka0664-
Welcome to Roadfood!

Ralph-
I still haven't eaten at Double Wide Grill, but have heard good things.  On my list of places to hit soon.  Did you see Rowdy Barbecue in Brentwood got a good review in the Trib?

http://www.pittsburghlive.com/x/pittsburghtrib/lifestyles/fooddrink/s_658052.html

Let us know if you get there.
Ralph Melton
Double Cheeseburger
Re:pittsburgh bbq 2009/12/18 18:06:21 (permalink)
The food has generally been good at Double Wide Grill; you can read the menu at http://www.doublewidegril.com/PDFs/Menu_Dinner.pdf and evaluate whether the menu raises your hackles the way it raises mine.

I have not tried Rowdy Barbecue--I'll have to put it on my to-do list.
Kenny Joe
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 196
Re:pittsburgh bbq 2009/12/18 21:30:16 (permalink)
My one experience with Rowdy Barbecue was not good. The sauce was not very tasty, the fat & gristle to meat ratio in the ribs was not what is should be and the ribs were lukewarm at best. I hope my experience was not typical but it would take a lots of enthusiastic reviews before I go back.
My experience a couple of years ago with the Banksville Road Barbecue was bad also. In that case, the temp was OK, the sauce was unremarkable, but the ribs had way to much fat and very little meat.
For the time being, I have sworn off eating ribs anywhere in Pittsburgh.
bka0664
Junior Burger
  • Total Posts : 10
Re:pittsburgh bbq 2009/12/19 05:55:38 (permalink)
Thanks buffet for the welcome. 

A very very interesting site.

bka0664
Ralph Melton
Double Cheeseburger
Re:pittsburgh bbq 2010/01/31 13:37:45 (permalink)
I finally got down to Century III to try Steel City Smokehouse and Saloon. Unfortunately, since the Post-Gazette review, it's undergone a change in ownership and lost the "Smokehouse" from its name. It's lost the smoke from the menu as well; the only thing on the menu was a pulled pork sandwich.

I had a "Chicken Baton Rouge"--pasta with chicken, onions, green peppers, and mushrooms in a spicy cream sauce. Pretty tasty, but not something to satisfy my barbecue cravings.

We lingered over dinner for a couple of hours, but saw only one table in the dining room occupied by customers. This is very low for a Saturday night--I'm not confident that this restaurant will last.
gixxerman
Junior Burger
  • Total Posts : 18
Re:pittsburgh bbq 2010/02/05 20:57:07 (permalink)
Clem's is the best I have tried in the 'Pittsburgh' area. Although, I wouldn't really consider it Pittsburgh, since it is over an hour away from the city. It is a decent destination after a bike ride.

The Rib Crib in Elizabeth would be my top pick for the area.

The Gateway Grill in Monroeville has some good ribs, but they aren't a bbq place.

Someone asked about the 'Batman Sauce', they used to have this at Joe Gray's in McKeesport, but it has been closed for at least 20 years.

I am pretty well traveled in BBQ thanks to my job. My favorites:

Jacks Stack in KC - the crown prime and burnt ends are off the charts
Goode & Co in Houston - best smoked turkey and pecan pie I ever tried, brisket held up as well
Rudy's outside of San Antonio has awesome ribs and green chile stew
New Braunfels, TX smokehouse some of the best sausage I ever tasted
Salt Lick in Driftwood, TX - everything is good here
Dreamland in Tuscaloosa, AL has to be one of the strangest place I have ever been to, their ribs are top notch
Wilbers in Goldsboro, NC made me a fan of the eastern Carolina vinegar based sauce

kcbaglady
Junior Burger
  • Total Posts : 2
Re:pittsburgh bbq 2010/03/13 07:40:27 (permalink)
A bit of history.
After over 35 years I am still trying to duplicate the ribs and bbq sauce I had the good fortune of tasting at Joe Gray's ribshack which was located along the Mon river along side the railroad track around Monongahela PA.  Just today, an old friend and I were chatting about the recipe and in my searches (googling) I came across this forum. Several of you name Jerome as the proprietor of the shack. Here is what I know.
I frequented the ribshack from the late 60's through early to mid 70's, as well as I can recall. My friends and I made the trip all year round from Washington PA as often as we could even though in inclement weather the off road dirt tracks down to the shack were sometimes difficult to manuever. The shack was open for business 2 days a week -tuesday and either friday or saturday. Those two days, at the crack of dawn, Joe Gray (or was it Grey?) with his helpers Buddy and Red, began cooking ribs, chicken, porkchops, and hotdogs for a bar Joe had, which I believe was in Elizabeth PA., as well as for his "locals". Talk about slow cooking! Food was not ready for customers until around 3pm or later.
The shack was indeed just that....a shack with a big open pit grill in the center of the room and stand up counters around it on three sides. If you wanted to sit you took your food outside and sat on your car bumper.  Heavy plastic was tacked up where windows used to be. The floor was dirt.  The grill was 4-5ft high and in the back the huge vats of MILD, HOT, and BATMAN sauces sat on part of the grill made up of, well, bedsprings.  Joe used whatever wood was available in his pit and in times where good wood was not readily available that included old railroad ties. Finished ribs, etc., were stored in newspaper lined wicker laundry baskets and kept in coolers in the shack next door.  Yes, there was electricity. The meat was served on paper plates drenched in sauce with a couple of pieces of white bread. Joe sold soft drinks, and although he hid beer in the cooler, he would not sell it to customers.  This is why.  
The jungle club was mentioned in some of the posts.  I guess at one time this obscure, hidden area was an after hours place of sorts. There was a small concrete building not many steps away from Joe's ramshackle rib place.  Anyway, according to Joe, someone had been shot at the jungle club and the cops shut it down. My guess is that police had been paid off to ignore the area until this major situation occurred. I can't say for certain but after all this I'm sure Joe must have  been paying off whomever in order to maintain a sub-standard restaurant.  Much later the (new? original?) owner of the jungleclub -Jerome- opened a rib place there.  Everyone continued to patronize Joe's with incredibly few going to Jeromes. After a length of time the spare shack next door where Joe stored his meat mysteriously burned down to the ground.  These places of course were tinder boxes still it was unlikely that there was not a helping hand in the start of this fire. Joe kept his ribshack open.  And still, few people frequented Jeromes.  I don't remember how long it was after the first burning incident, but the last time we went for ribs we found Joe's shack had been burned to the ground.  Word was it was Jerome who had done the deed.  Jerome's was open for business but we refused to eat his bbq and never returned to the area. Apparently Jerome usurped the ribshack traditon along with its customers and any new bbq seekers in the area.
Details
Joes sauce was very thin and not at all sweet tasting.  I think that's why I liked it so much.  If you read the label on the bottled bbq sauce today the first ingredient is usually high fructose corn syrup.  YUK.  Anyway, for those with any interest, I was once desperate enough to rummage through Joe's garbage cans in search of sauce ingredients.  I remember cayenne, yellow mustard, worchestershire, vinegar, and tomato paste containers in abundance.  I've been working with those ingredients as a base all these years and still haven't come up with the exact taste. 
As far as the ribs go, they were the st louis style ribs sold as long end and short end.  They were slow cooked in open air so they didn't get that fall off the bone state which some folks think is a sign of great ribs.  To me it means too much moisture; they've been cooked in an enclosed oven or kept warm over steam.   One secret Joe showed me is to pull off the thin casing like skin on the back of the ribs.  He said it allows the fat to drain out. He hand trimmed fat off each slab.  Also, he was known to return ribs to his supplier stating that they were "too fresh".   Anyway, the end product was tasty bbq. 
Joe's ribs and sauce were the best in the business.  I live in Kansas city now where bbq is big business.  I haven't found anything that compares to the ribshack and I have done alot of tasting. In my quest for the best I have even won a ribbon for ribs in the American Royal BBQ contest.  I keep making sauce from scratch, trying to get the exact flavor of Joe Gray's hot sauce.  Did Jerome also get Joe's sauce recipes?  If anyone knows the exact recipe, or even the ingredients please let me know.
Mosca
Filet Mignon
Re:pittsburgh bbq 2010/03/13 12:18:27 (permalink)
"Joes sauce was very thin and not at all sweet tasting."

Exactly. It was reddish brown, and peppery, with a taste of celery seed. The Batman was HOT. I remember an Atomic in between hot and Batman.

Most of that history, which is great, is news to me and was before my time; I graduated high school in '72, and didn't go down that way until then (I didn't have a car). I do remember getting ribs from somewhere in Elizabeth. It was long, long ago, those were the '70s and I will not claim that my mind was clear for that decade.

Try gregys' recipe, and see what you think. I haven't had a chance to brew it up myself, I haven't made bbq for a few months. He seems to know his stuff, IMO.

http://www.pitt.edu/~szek...20barbecue%20sauce.htm
Ralph Melton
Double Cheeseburger
Re:pittsburgh bbq 2010/03/18 19:13:30 (permalink)

I've found barbecue in Pittsburgh that I like!

On Sunday, I went to JT's Rib Shack in Penn Hills. JT noticed me taking a picture of the exterior.

I ordered a ribs and chicken combo on the recommendation of the woman behind the counter, and then JT showed me around and encouraged me to take more pictures.
The menu: 

JT's sign:

He opened the smoker for me to take a picture. 

I asked about a pan that held barbecue but no meat. He said that it caught the drippings from the brisket.
I responded eagerly at the mention of brisket, and he he agreed with me that it was hard to get good brisket in Pittsburgh.

I went back in to wait for my food, and JT brought me in a sample of the brisket. It was tender, smoky, and luscious.

He also let me sample the filling for his recent sandwich creation, the "Oink Moo Peep": a mixture of chopped brisket, pork, and turkey, on a bed of macaroni and cheese. It was a yummy combination--I'm going to have to try the full sandwich soon.

The "Oink Moo Peep" on the left, the brisket on the right:

Another question came up: what sauce did I want? JT offered me samples of all three of his sauces. The mustard sauce was pleasantly tangy, the red sauce was vigorously spicy, and the "Chunky-Chunk" sauce was a combination of the two with jerk seasoning added. I chose the mustard sauce.

I finally got home, rolled up my sleeves and put my hair in a ponytail, and sat down to my feast.

The ribs were delicious, tender enough to slide off the bone easily, but sturdy enough to reward chewing with delicious smokey flavor.
A closeup of the ribs, to show off the smoke ring:

The grilled wings were savory and flavorful--they aren't my favorite yet, but they have convinced that there's a legitimate place for them on a barbecue menu.
The macaroni and cheese was just the way I like it, with visible hunks of cheese among the noodles, and the fried cabbage was succulent and flavorful.

I am eager to return.
buffetbuster
Porterhouse
Re:pittsburgh bbq 2010/03/19 14:10:00 (permalink)
Well Ralph, if a Texan like yourself says it was good, that is enough for me.  It sounds like you had an all around great experience!
MetroplexJim
Filet Mignon
  • Total Posts : 4119
Re:pittsburgh bbq 2010/03/19 18:07:20 (permalink)
Even though I was born and raised there I never associated "Pittsburgh" and BBQ.  But, I have always associated Pittsburgh and great home-style cooking.  I'll add a few places here on my eating iternary next trip "home".  Thanks for the interesting thread.

BTW:  the best 'cue I ever 'et was Wilber's in Goldsboro, NC.  And I even order the sauce he uses by mail:
www.scottsbarbecuesauce.com .
kcbaglady
Junior Burger
  • Total Posts : 2
Re:pittsburgh bbq 2010/03/26 07:58:38 (permalink)
Wow!  sauce with NO sugar?  I wonder if it contains splenda?  Will have to order some of that. 
By the way, if anyone is hungry for bbq in southern florida where i am right now, there is a place in Lake Worth and another in Boynton Beach called Park Avenue BBQ (sign reads PA BBQ).  They serve baby back ribs which are pretty darn good, along with bbq sandwiches - ham, pork, brisket.  I think you can get half a chicken also.  And, get this, on Mondays (as of now) all day you can get a FULL SLAB of baby backs, 2 sides and a corn muffin for $10.99.  Such a deal!  The half slab dinner is $8.99 and I can barely finish it....so the full slab is lunch and a take home dinner for me.   Sides include mashed potatoes which are quite good, potato salad, slaw, collards, fries, and others I forget.

Re the post on JTs in the pgh area.  Looks like a great place.  The only problem (in my opinion) with BBQ in Pittsburgh is that open pits are not allowed.  At least they weren't back in the late 70's.  They have to smoke the meat in closed ovens with all kinds of filters due to pollution restrictions.  That changes the way the meat cooks and I just don't think it's as good as open pit bbq.   As I recall...and it's been a long while.. it seems a bit too smokey and moist.

ribcagebbq
Junior Burger
  • Total Posts : 5
Re:pittsburgh bbq 2010/04/12 18:08:23 (permalink)
Hey all, This is John here, owner of The Rib Cage down in Monongahela, PA. I know this thread has not been active for sometime but I know some people on these forum mentioned coming down and checking the place out. Its summer now and time for BBQ and we'd love to see some new faces.

I created a special coupon for road food members, 20% off of any order over $20.  Hopefully you will stop in and see us.

Feel free to ask any questions if you'd like!
post edited by ribcagebbq - 2010/04/12 18:09:42
Ralph Melton
Double Cheeseburger
Re:pittsburgh bbq 2010/04/19 17:44:36 (permalink)
[font="verdana, arial, helvetica, sans-serif; font-size: small; line-height: normal; "]On Saturday, Lori and I drove down to Monongahela to visit Rib Cage BBQ.

John had said "If you are ever planning on coming down with some friends please let me know beforehand and we will make sure that we take care of you." I had dithered a bit about whether it was appropriate to accept that sort of special offer for a visit that I intended to report on. (Amateur reporting to LiveJournal and Roadfood, that is.) I concluded that it was okay for me to get the "special Roadfooder treatment". My journalistic standards are that my work should be both honest and interesting, and a report of special Roadfooder treatment would be interesting to Roadfooders, and could be honest as long as long as it was clearly labeled as such. So I sent him a private message that we were planning to come down.

The place looks like a barbecue joint should look, with lots of wood and smoke coming up from inside:

(I learned later that it was cherry wood.)

The walls and floor are concrete, with a bit of piggy decor:

We were looking for a variety of food, and I was particularly interested in the pork chop on the menu, so we ordered a #1 combo: pork chop, 1/4 slab of ribs, riblet, small fries. We added a cup of baked beans. I said that we'd found out about the place from Roadfood.com, and asked to meet John (I'd been told that the father and son who run the place are both named John). John Sr. came out to meet us, but he didn't hear my introduction clearly, so he didn't go into full "special treatment" mode until later.

We would have gladly sat at the counter, but even though we'd arrived at 3pm to try to come at a slow time, the counter was full. So we took a seat in the little dining room at the side.

A little later, a lady in a Steelers jacket asked if I was Ralph. I confirmed that I was, and she introduced herself as John's wife. Apparently the younger John wasn't in that day, but had mentioned my message that I hoped to come by, so recognition began at last. And did we ever get special treatment!

The other nice lady brought us white bread, cornbread, and samples of the sauce to confirm that we wanted the "sweet and tangy" sauce instead of the mild.

The reddish brown sauce had the chunky texture of spaghetti sauce, with a strong tomato flavor. The Roadfood discussion had led me to expect celery seed in the sauce; I did taste that significantly, but perhaps I did so only because I was primed to do so. I'm sure that I haven't identified all the seasonings that went into it. The sauce was served steaming hot, which was novel to me. The mild sauce had some spicy heat, and Lori is heat-averse, so we confirmed our sweet and tangy choice.

The combo plate had the unglamorous presentation suitable to a barbecue joint:

I think the picture conveys the texture of the sauce.

I rolled up my sleeves, swept my hair back, made sure I knew where the stack of napkins was, and dove in.

The first thing that came to hand was a rib:

The rib was hearty and meaty, definitely a rib to gnaw instead of a plucking the meat away.

After a rib apiece, we came to the pork chop. This was a massive piece of meat, larger than a hand and an inch thick:  
This was tender and juicy; I didn't use the knife and fork, but broke off tidbits to eat. I have no idea how it makes economic sense to serve such a huge piece of meat for $3.75--I'm surprised that covers the cost of the napkins required to eat it.

As we were trying to eat the pork chop, John came through, and we had a much better introduction. He was very enthusiastic about his place and his food, and we had a great time talking with him. He pointed out that he gets whole pork loins and cuts them into chops on-site, and he trims them so thick, because if he cuts them thinner, the texture would be "like a hockey puck".

He brought us a sample of his pulled pork, which we both quite liked; it was very soft, with a mellow flavor:

John then brought us a sample of his Italian sausage. It was really good, flavorful and juicy--he explained that the reason that it's so good is that when he gets far enough toward the end of a pork loin that it can no longer produce the massive thick chops he serves, he chops up the remainder for sausage.

We would have liked to have eaten more of everything, but even though we'd only had a bowl of cereal before coming, we were gorged to a degree that we had never reached in all our New Orleans eating.

John then showed us around the restaurant, including the pit. Somewhere in this conversation, I had an "Aha" realization that I probably should have had much earlier: This meat is not smoked. This meat is cooked over an open flame at very high heat:

The heat is so intense that it deforms the heavy metal grate; the grate has to be replaced every six months.

Knowing this makes everything make more sense. The pork chop makes a lot more sense as a specialty of the house; it's suited to fast cooking. Beef brisket isn't on the menu, and I wouldn't recommend it be added to the menu; the hot fast cooking wouldn't provide enough time to gelatinize the collagen.

Final conclusions:
- I would not come here for smoked meat; this is open-pit BBQ, cooked over a hot fire.
- The food was good, and the portions are so massive that the food-to-cost ratio is off the scale.
- I had a great time talking with John; if possible, I recommend talking with him about the restaurant and the food, because it really added to our enjoyment.

post edited by Ralph Melton - 2010/04/21 14:20:37
mamaduck43
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 189
Re:pittsburgh bbq 2010/04/19 19:04:38 (permalink)
Oh, my - - - I am salivating all over the place here....  That looks wonderful...  I will have to add it to my 'gotta do' list for my trip to the Burgh....  I am crossing my fingers that I can do that this year.....
ribcagebbq
Junior Burger
  • Total Posts : 5
Re:pittsburgh bbq 2010/05/03 12:30:06 (permalink)
Ralph,

Thank you so much for the kind review. Sorry it took me a little while to respond, things have been a bit hectic as of late. My father also enjoyed talking to you and your wife and I am glad that you enjoyed your experience at the Rib Cage BBQ. We would be more then happy to have you back anytime. Thank you again for taking the time to do such a nice write up on the Rib Cage!
riblicker
Junior Burger
  • Total Posts : 1
Re:pittsburgh bbq 2010/05/20 02:59:27 (permalink)
Hey. The Rib Cage is as good as it gets. Ive been eating there at least 5yrs. now. I call ahead with separate orders for as many as 20 people sometimes to take to work for lunch at a steel mill 20min away from the place. John n Barb always have my orders hot n ready when i get there at the time i regeust. This is no easy feat as they package n bag each order individualy for me to hand out once i get to the parking lot at work. The portions are crazy huge. If you ever get a chance to try the place out, DO IT. Its what a ( Rib Shack ) should be, straight and to the point. Its about the food and the company. I get an order of their fresh cut fries with cheese and bacon then top that with the pork from a pulled pork sandwich then smoother it all in some of their hot sauce. Its a huge plate of heaven. The first thing u smell in the air when you walk in is the aroma of the hardwood burning under the huge open grill that you can watch your food cook on. They have tables set up out side for when the weather is nice.   

kozel
Double Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 828
Re:pittsburgh bbq 2010/05/23 11:07:35 (permalink)
Last weekend picked up a chicken, a full rack and a couple of sides from Pittsburgh BBQ Company on Banksville Ave.  There were few complaints from the group.

http://www.pghbbq.com/
gregys
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 126
Re:pittsburgh bbq 2010/06/08 09:59:59 (permalink)
In reading from kcbaglady, I DO remember hearing about the fire in the middle of the room and dirt floor.
The RIB JOINT is what everybody called it in high school TJ, in the mid 60's. Lets go to the RIB JOINT
they would say, but I never had gone with the crowd. When I tried to duplicate Jerrome's sauce
in around 1980, I sensed celery, cinnamon, and cloves. So I used V8 juice and added the cinnamon and cloves. V8 already had celery. It seems that Jerrome's is dark and not red like mine. Mine does taste very similar to the Rib Cage sauce. My mouth is watering, but please don't use MSG. Yes, MSG will
make your mouth water, but it has effects on many people. I will say, Blaine Hill uses MSG.
gregys
Cheeseburger
Re:pittsburgh bbq 2010/06/08 10:22:35 (permalink)
I really think the Rib Cage should try to market their sauce. Blaine Hill sauce is still the river style but lacks overall zip. Sure you can buy it in the local groceries. It just that, the sauce seems unique and more Americans would enjoy it if you could order it by mail. Its been a long time but Eliot's Barbecue sauce is also similar to the Rib Cage. You can buy sauce at all the mentioned pits but its only Blaine Hill that has mail order.
gregys
Cheeseburger
Re:pittsburgh bbq 2010/06/08 10:32:53 (permalink)
Perhaps McCutcheon's would make a great place to make and sell the sauce. mcCutcheon's makes a great spaghetti sauce actually on contract for a sauce sold at a nice joint in downtown Frederick Md. Their products are sold at Trax Farms, mail order, etc. I used to like their Screaming Hornets
hot sauce. They make and sell quality stuff.
buffetbuster
Porterhouse
Re:pittsburgh bbq 2010/06/08 11:04:28 (permalink)
I was looking for this thread earlier and couldn't find it.  Had assumed it was under the bbq forum.

Very nice comprehensive report Ralph.  Sounds like they treated you well.  I still plan on making it to Rib Cage before the Summer is out.

This article about JT's Rib Shack was in the Trib about a month ago.

http://www.pittsburghlive.com/x/pittsburghtrib/lifestyles/fooddrink/s_680807.html

kozel-
Thanks for the reminder of Pittsburgh BBQ Company.  I haven't been there in a couple of years and I drive through there on a regular basis.
gregys
Cheeseburger
Re:pittsburgh bbq 2010/06/09 09:45:45 (permalink)
More on trying to duplicate the best sauce. While I have been trying to get the most out of the sauce, I have added a couple things. First some celery seed to compliment the celery already in V8. Then there is a popular pork seasoning Marjoram. The marjoram is a mild spice. Im definitely not against adding Worcester sauce or mustard. I wish I could come up with ingredient list without using name brand products, but its easier to do that. There are probably more ingredients in V8 than we need, but the sauce stands out amongst others in that it compliments the meat, and think vegetables. Its like eating your meat and veggies at the same time without that awful thick sweet gummy sticky yuckkk.

mayor al
Fire Safety Admin
  • Total Posts : 15286
Re:pittsburgh bbq 2010/06/09 10:37:23 (permalink)
Thanks Ralph, and others for a very informative report on Pittsburg's BBQ world.  I must admit when I saw the title of the thread All I could think of was that the term Pittsburg BBQ is an Oxymoron, kinda like Kentucky Library and Military Intelligence !  Now I know better, and thank you for sharing with us !
gregys
Cheeseburger
Re:pittsburgh bbq 2010/06/10 10:00:27 (permalink)
I have looked up all the ingredients in the current recipe and using V8 and Mrs Dash. The main part of Mrs Dash is the pepper, lemon, and onion, but I show all ingredients. Of course its salt less itself.

Tomato Juice from Concentrate (Water, Tomato Paste),
Carrots
Celery,
Beets
Parsley
Lettuce
Watercress
Spinach
Lemon Juice
Salt
Natural Flavoring
Vitamin C (Ascorbic Acid)