The most memorable local eateries along the highways and back roads of America
Sign In | Register for Free!
Restaurants Recipes Forums EatingTours Merchandise FAQ Maps Insider
Forum Themes:
Welcome !

 pizza genres

Author Message
NYNM

  • Total Posts: 3037
  • Joined: 6/16/2005
  • Location: New York, NY/Santa Fe, NM
pizza genres Mon, 10/1/07 10:31 PM (permalink)
I am thinking of pizza "categories"

So far:

Neopolitan pizza
Sicilian pizza
Dessert Pizza
Breakfast pizza
White pizza
Seafood pizza

What else?
 
#1
    Ciaoman

    • Total Posts: 375
    • Joined: 5/2/2006
    • Location: Killingworth, CT
    RE: pizza genres Mon, 10/1/07 10:52 PM (permalink)
    Other categories (or sub-categories):
    Chicago deep-dish pizza.
    New York pizza (that you fold over to eat).
    New Haven pizza (from coal-fired ovens).
    Calzone (stuffed pizza).

    Ordinary pizza can be good; great pizza is sublime!
     
    #2
      Niagara

      • Total Posts: 983
      • Joined: 2/26/2006
      • Location: Topeka, KS
      RE: pizza genres Tue, 10/2/07 9:51 AM (permalink)
      St. Louis style pizza with provel cheese.
       
      #3
        doggydaddy

        • Total Posts: 1847
        • Joined: 6/11/2006
        • Location: Austin, TX...got smoke?
        RE: pizza genres Tue, 10/2/07 10:09 AM (permalink)


        I'll chime in with the newest corporate monstrosity as seen on recent TV ads: the Oreo pizza

        mark
         
        #4
          IansMom

          • Total Posts: 394
          • Joined: 12/12/2003
          • Location: Louisville, KY
          RE: pizza genres Tue, 10/2/07 10:32 AM (permalink)
          What about Argentinian pizza.. called Fugazeta? it's a pizza with ham and cheese between two crusts with sliced onions on top and baked...
           
          #5
            wanderingjew

            • Total Posts: 7411
            • Joined: 1/18/2001
            • Location: East Greenwich/ Warwick, RI
            • Roadfood Insider
            RE: pizza genres Tue, 10/2/07 10:37 AM (permalink)
            How's about the L.A style "Sushi Pizza" I remember noticing on a couple of Sushi Parlor menus I remember viewing on my trip last year
             
            #6
              Frankman

              • Total Posts: 300
              • Joined: 9/21/2002
              • Location: Beacon Falls, CT
              RE: pizza genres Tue, 10/2/07 11:26 AM (permalink)
              quote:
              Originally posted by Ciaoman

              Other categories (or sub-categories):
              Chicago deep-dish pizza.
              New York pizza (that you fold over to eat).
              New Haven pizza (from coal-fired ovens).
              Calzone (stuffed pizza).

              Ordinary pizza can be good; great pizza is sublime!


              Question: New York Pizza (that you fold over to eat)
              Would that be sliced double wide or do you just fold over two slices?
               
              #7
                ChiTownDiner

                RE: pizza genres Tue, 10/2/07 11:42 AM (permalink)
                Stuffed pizza.
                 
                #8
                  porkbeaks

                  • Total Posts: 2202
                  • Joined: 5/6/2005
                  • Location: Hoschton/Braselton, GA
                  RE: pizza genres Tue, 10/2/07 12:34 PM (permalink)
                  Here is the list of forums at pizzamaking.com

                  New York Style
                  Also known as Neapolitan-American style. Dough is stretched and/or tossed. Pizza has a bready rim that tapers down to a thin, foldable center.

                  Chicago Style
                  Deep-dish crust with a biscuit-like texture and high, raised edge. Some varieties include stuffed and thin crust.

                  Neapolitan Style
                  Mirrors the style of pizza popularized in Naples using 00 flour, few toppings, and very-high temperature ovens.

                  American Style
                  Pizza americana is a medium to thin crust pie that is crispy on the outside, yet soft inside. Found at popular pizzerias throughout the U.S. including Papa John's, Domino's, and Pizza Hut

                  Cracker Style
                  Dough is sheeted/rolled out thin and is docked. Crust is crisp and cracker-like

                  Thick Style
                  Moderate thickness crust with a somewhat chewy, bread-like texture.

                  California Style
                  Light, airy and tender crust usually topped with "exotic" and uncommon toppings.

                  Sicilian Style
                  A deep-dish style pizza characterized by a thick, bread-like crust with a crunchy exterior, and is most typically baked in a dark, well-seasoned, well-oiled rectangular or square pan.

                  Dessert Pizza
                   
                  #9
                    ChiTownDiner

                    RE: pizza genres Tue, 10/2/07 1:28 PM (permalink)
                    Here's the link for stuffed - http://www.nancyspizza.com/. Pretty good tasting.
                     
                    #10
                      ChiTownDiner

                      RE: pizza genres Tue, 10/2/07 1:30 PM (permalink)
                      Here's the link for stuffed - http://www.nancyspizza.com/. Pretty good tasting.
                       
                      #11
                        David_NYC

                        • Total Posts: 2162
                        • Joined: 8/1/2004
                        • Location: New York, NY
                        RE: pizza genres Tue, 10/2/07 8:55 PM (permalink)
                        quote:
                        Originally posted by Frankman

                        quote:
                        Originally posted by Ciaoman

                        Other categories (or sub-categories):
                        Chicago deep-dish pizza.
                        New York pizza (that you fold over to eat).
                        New Haven pizza (from coal-fired ovens).
                        Calzone (stuffed pizza).

                        Ordinary pizza can be good; great pizza is sublime!


                        Question: New York Pizza (that you fold over to eat)
                        Would that be sliced double wide or do you just fold over two slices?


                        Many people here fold over the pizza because it is easier to eat. A single triangle-shaped slice is folded down the middle so that the halves with the cheese face each other. The crust is dense enough to allow this. It is the same principle used in making corrugated steel metal. Sheet metal just droops. Corrugated metal stands straight out.
                         
                        #12
                          ann peeples

                          • Total Posts: 8317
                          • Joined: 5/21/2006
                          • Location: West Allis, Wisconsin
                          RE: pizza genres Tue, 10/2/07 9:00 PM (permalink)
                          I am thinking the thinnest crust pizza in the world-Totinos with me doctoring it up....
                           
                          #13
                            NYNM

                            • Total Posts: 3037
                            • Joined: 6/16/2005
                            • Location: New York, NY/Santa Fe, NM
                            RE: pizza genres Wed, 10/3/07 10:42 PM (permalink)
                            quote:
                            Originally posted by David_NYC

                            quote:
                            Originally posted by Frankman

                            quote:
                            Originally posted by Ciaoman

                            Other categories (or sub-categories):
                            Chicago deep-dish pizza.
                            New York pizza (that you fold over to eat).
                            New Haven pizza (from coal-fired ovens).
                            Calzone (stuffed pizza).

                            Ordinary pizza can be good; great pizza is sublime!


                            Question: New York Pizza (that you fold over to eat)
                            Would that be sliced double wide or do you just fold over two slices?


                            Many people here fold over the pizza because it is easier to eat. A single triangle-shaped slice is folded down the middle so that the halves with the cheese face each other. The crust is dense enough to allow this. It is the same principle used in making corrugated steel metal. Sheet metal just droops. Corrugated metal stands straight out.



                            As to width, I think it's just a "regular" width folded over. Do you agree David?

                            Also, folding a pizza slice is a good way to eat it while walking down the street, and sinc almost no one in Manhattan has a car, folding a pizza slice and walking around with it is equivalent to "eating in the car"...
                             
                            #14
                              UncleVic

                              • Total Posts: 6025
                              • Joined: 10/14/2003
                              • Location: West Palm Beach, FL
                              • Roadfood Insider
                              RE: pizza genres Wed, 10/3/07 11:10 PM (permalink)
                              I'm thinking REAL pizza... Not sure if it has a so called category name for it, but it's not thin crust, nor thick crust, cant fold it over (unless you want a bigger mess).. But these are the kind I grew up with around here (until the chains raided the area).. Last decent stand was Vitales on Leonard Street in Grand Rapids (Not been there in awhile, so not sure if they still make a decent one), but I do my own at home.. Gave up on the local joints for the most part (But if there is an emergency need for a expensive, tasty, thin in toppings pizza, I suggest Forest Hills Inn or JT's Pizza).

                              Example of my homebrew pie (1 slice will fill ya, 2 will knock ya down):
                              [img]http://farm2.static.flickr.com/1012/899628270_08bdcd3906.jpg?v=0[/img]
                               
                              #15
                                the acting man

                                • Total Posts: 63
                                • Joined: 8/23/2007
                                • Location: Philly burbs or Brooklyn, NY...take your pick!
                                RE: pizza genres Fri, 10/5/07 10:14 AM (permalink)
                                I'm seeing more "green pizzas" out there, which are normally just white pizzas with some salad concoction on top. Not bad, but needs more development...
                                 
                                #16
                                  doggydaddy

                                  • Total Posts: 1847
                                  • Joined: 6/11/2006
                                  • Location: Austin, TX...got smoke?
                                  RE: pizza genres Fri, 10/5/07 10:52 AM (permalink)
                                  quote:
                                  Originally posted by the acting man

                                  I'm seeing more "green pizzas" out there, which are normally just white pizzas with some salad concoction on top. Not bad, but needs more development...


                                  I believe that there are broccoli pizzas with a broccoli puree used as a base instead of tomato sauce. I'm sure that I have seen this in NYC.

                                  That Nancy's Pizza looked very good. I thought I was looking at a strawberry cheesecake. I'ld like to try that.

                                  I'll now add another type of pizza that many people buy and eat, the frozen pizza. The funny thing is that they are trying to do these pies in a variety of styles, crispy, brick oven, self rising, and more.
                                  I will also add the store made ones that are in the refridgerator section. Those really scare me.

                                  Uncle Vic demonstrates the best kind of pizza, tho one you make yourself...

                                  mark
                                   
                                  #17
                                    minislon

                                    • Total Posts: 1
                                    • Joined: 11/3/2007
                                    • Location: New York, NY
                                    RE: pizza genres Sat, 11/3/07 5:32 PM (permalink)
                                    Classic hand pizza tossed http://classic-hand-pizza-tossed.blogspot.com :) one of the best pizza types i've ever tasted

                                    Shaun
                                     
                                    #18
                                      Twinwillow

                                      • Total Posts: 4900
                                      • Joined: 4/15/2006
                                      • Location: "Big D"
                                      RE: pizza genres Sat, 11/3/07 6:14 PM (permalink)
                                      With regard to the question about NY folded pizza. It's only good when the oil and melted cheese drip out the front on your shirt (or blouse).
                                      In Naples, (Italy) the pizzas are usually round (14") individual pies that are folded in half or quarters, wrapped in wax paper and eaten as you go. Double yummo!
                                       
                                      #19
                                        Online Bookmarks Sharing: Share/Bookmark

                                        Jump to:

                                        Current active users

                                        There are 0 members and 1 guests.

                                        Icon Legend and Permission

                                        • New Messages
                                        • No New Messages
                                        • Hot Topic w/ New Messages
                                        • Hot Topic w/o New Messages
                                        • Locked w/ New Messages
                                        • Locked w/o New Messages
                                        • Read Message
                                        • Post New Thread
                                        • Reply to message
                                        • Post New Poll
                                        • Submit Vote
                                        • Post reward post
                                        • Delete my own posts
                                        • Delete my own threads
                                        • Rate post

                                        2000-2014 ASPPlayground.NET Forum Version 3.9
                                        What is Roadfood?  |   Privacy Policy  |   Contact Roadfood.com   Copyright 2011 - Roadfood.com