pizza-by-the-pound

Page: 12 > Showing page 1 of 2
Author
NYNM
Filet Mignon
  • Total Posts : 3053
2007/10/13 18:44:04 (permalink)

pizza-by-the-pound

I just passed small place here in NYC off Union Square called "PIE" which sells "pizza-by-the-pound". Its been around for a while, now, on 4t Ave near 13 St.

All the pizzas are laid out on long flatbread sheets and you pick the kind(s) you want, they cut it to the size you want (by inches) (and with scissors), weigh it and you pay by the pound (ounce, that is). Very interesting varities.

Is there a smimlar concept elsewhere?

32 Replies Related Threads

Billfish
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 397
    RE: pizza-by-the-pound 2007/10/13 18:57:59 (permalink)
    There was another place in NYC called "Pinch" where they had similar sheet pizzas and you paid by the inch.Think they folded though.
    Salgado
    Junior Burger
    • Total Posts : 2
    RE: pizza-by-the-pound 2008/01/29 12:27:10 (permalink)
    That's an awesome idea. I haven't seen something like that. I would look for it the next time I go to NYC.

Pizza Lover
    leethebard
    Sirloin
    • Total Posts : 6270
    RE: pizza-by-the-pound 2008/01/29 23:10:17 (permalink)
    Hey NYNM,
    In Italy ,at least in Rome...they sell pizza by weight..I think it's so much per kilo. You suggest a size to them,they cut a square ,weigh it and it's yours. Different pies go for different amounts per kilo! Greay way to try lots of small pieces....
    billyboy
    Double Chili Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 2403
    RE: pizza-by-the-pound 2008/01/30 00:32:47 (permalink)
    Hey there NYNM,

I used to work near there, around Astor Place. I'd been there for lunch once and thought it was good. Can't remember what i had, but ahven't been back as I don't get to that area as often as I used to. How was your trip to Hatch, NM?
    Joisey
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 153
    RE: pizza-by-the-pound 2008/01/30 13:02:17 (permalink)
    This is right by my office, never tried it though, but I may now as it sounds like you thought it was good.
    leethebard
    Sirloin
    RE: pizza-by-the-pound 2008/02/10 00:09:48 (permalink)
    I wonder if there are any pizzarias around road food america selling pizza by weight. As I said above, it's common in Italy. Maybe its time has come!!!!!
    porkbeaks
    • Total Posts : 2216
    RE: pizza-by-the-pound 2008/02/10 08:17:30 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by leethebard

I wonder if there are any pizzarias around road food america selling pizza by weight. As I said above, it's common in Italy. Maybe its time has come!!!!!

Pizza By The Pound
    600 North 32nd Street
    Paducah, KY 42003
    (270) 442-0067

leethebard
    Sirloin
    RE: pizza-by-the-pound 2008/02/10 09:11:58 (permalink)
    Wow...this SHOULD be a chain. I'm surprised. Hope it'll catch on. It sure works in Italy.
    jimsock9
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 285
    RE: pizza-by-the-pound 2008/02/10 09:39:25 (permalink)
    The very thought of selling pizza by the pound is a deadly sin.
    saps
    • Total Posts : 1560
    RE: pizza-by-the-pound 2008/02/10 13:09:43 (permalink)
    Why would it be a deadly sin?
    leethebard
    Sirloin
    RE: pizza-by-the-pound 2008/02/10 15:28:05 (permalink)
    I don't get that comment either. In Italy,the home of REAL pizza,the Italians have been selling the real thing by the kilo for decades.It's a great way to try pieces of many types of pie in one meal. I ate as if they were ordevours.
    porkbeaks
    • Total Posts : 2216
    RE: pizza-by-the-pound 2008/02/10 18:25:12 (permalink)
    quote:

I don't get that comment either. In Italy,the home of REAL pizza,the Italians have been selling the real thing by the kilo for decades.It's a great way to try pieces of many types of pie in one meal. I ate as if they were ordevours.

I guess you really "devoured" them, huh? pb
    NYNM
    Filet Mignon
    RE: pizza-by-the-pound 2008/02/11 12:28:58 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by billyboy

Hey there NYNM,

I used to work near there, around Astor Place. I'd been there for lunch once and thought it was good. Can't remember what i had, but ahven't been back as I don't get to that area as often as I used to. How was your trip to Hatch, NM?

Never got to Hatch - I usually stay up North (NM) but they do make great Green Chile Pizza in Santa Fe
    tamandmik
    Double Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 949
    RE: pizza-by-the-pound 2008/02/12 10:19:08 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by NYNM

quote:

Hey there NYNM,

Never got to Hatch - I usually stay up North (NM) but they do make great Green Chile Pizza in Santa Fe

NYNM,

Was there a particular reason you were going to drive from Santa Fe down to Hatch? There really isn't a lot to do there this time of year. Come to think of it, other than the Chile festival (of which I was very underwhelmed by) Labor Day weekend, it's really a one-horse kind of town.
    jimsock9
    Cheeseburger
    RE: pizza-by-the-pound 2008/02/12 10:34:26 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by saps

Sorry, but I'm just one of those folks that don't give a darn how they do it in Italy. I can't help it, I'm born and raised in New York
    and the thought of pizza being sold by the pound is horrifying. You get yourself a pie or a few slices & a Coke. Simple as that.
    NYNM
    Filet Mignon
    RE: pizza-by-the-pound 2008/02/12 11:13:06 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by tamandmik

quote:
    Originally posted by NYNM

quote:

Hey there NYNM,

How was your trip to Hatch, NM?

NYNM,

Was there a particular reason you were going to drive from Santa Fe down to Hatch? There really isn't a lot to do there this time of year. Come to think of it, other than the Chile festival (of which I was very underwhelmed by) Labor Day weekend, it's really a one-horse kind of town.

Complicated! I never went to Hatch or especially plan to do so. I passed thru it one on a trip to Las Cruces and the Mexico and it seemed, as you say, nothing much. I was really responding to Billyboy's question.

However, do you know if there's green chile pizza in Southern NM too? I esp. like it with a cornmeal crust - they do that at Upper Crust Pizza in Santa Fe - they say President Clinton (the "old" one) once ate there.
    tamandmik
    Double Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 949
    RE: pizza-by-the-pound 2008/02/12 12:56:16 (permalink)
    The Upper Crust is awesome, IMO, NYNM. The closest we have to that, in terms of green chile pizza, can be found at Dion's, which has probably a dozen locations in Albuquerque, but just one here. When I was in SF in December, I recall seeing a Dion's on Cerillos Rd, heading into the plaza.
    leethebard
    Sirloin
    RE: pizza-by-the-pound 2008/02/12 14:37:51 (permalink)
    jimsock...it just seems such a strange comment....you're used to pizza by the slice or pie so anything else is"a deadly sin". I was born and raised in North Jersey and I don't consider something a little different from wjat I'm accustomed to a "deadly sin". Travelling to different places with different customs sure must be hard on You!!
    saps
    • Total Posts : 1560
    RE: pizza-by-the-pound 2008/02/12 17:17:45 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by jimsock9

quote:

Sorry, but I'm just one of those folks that don't give a darn how they do it in Italy. I can't help it, I'm born and raised in New York
    and the thought of pizza being sold by the pound is horrifying. You get yourself a pie or a few slices & a Coke. Simple as that.

Do you still drive a car that runs on leaded gasoline?
    Scorereader
    Sirloin
    • Total Posts : 5563
    RE: pizza-by-the-pound 2008/02/12 17:24:57 (permalink)
    quote:

quote:

I have to agree. If I was in Italy, that would be one thing, nut not here in the US please.
    Beside, in DC, pay-by-the-pound food is quick lunch food, it's not considered high quality. So, I'd probably, just on principle, think of a pay-per-pound pizza joint as being second rate.

plb
    • Total Posts : 1030
    RE: pizza-by-the-pound 2008/02/12 17:32:41 (permalink)
    There was a place in San Rafael, CA where you put on the toppings yourself from a cafeteria type line, you paid by the pound, then they baked it for you. It didn't last long.
    Ciaoman
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 375
    RE: pizza-by-the-pound 2008/02/12 17:46:50 (permalink)
    Apparently for some folks, anything different is something to be feared. Maybe we should have stuck with dial-phones and ice boxes.
    leethebard
    Sirloin
    RE: pizza-by-the-pound 2008/02/12 17:55:13 (permalink)
    Believe me,it worked well in italy. More than 30 years ago(at least!) Italian pizzarias were laying out all their pizza styles for customers to pick from, back when Americans were still ordering from a menu list. Now I've noticed ,in recent years(in the Northeast,at least)our pizzarias are doing the same. So we can learn something from the Italians. By the way,when those shops 35 years or more ago laid out their square pans of pizza,they cut a slice to your specifications,weighed your piece on a small scale, and charged you...simple easy, and CHEAP!!! The catch was they were square pans,like our sicilian pies. We learned one idea from the Italians(decades later!) why not pizza by weight,the real reason the Italians started putting out all those pizzas.
    NebGuy
    Double Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 875
    RE: pizza-by-the-pound 2008/02/12 18:11:33 (permalink)
    If you go to a pizza place to get a few slices and a coke is the pizza any better or worse if you pay by the slice or pay by weight. It's the same pizza. If it sucks find a new place.
    leethebard
    Sirloin
    RE: pizza-by-the-pound 2008/02/13 09:44:36 (permalink)
    Well then, a small piece will make you realize it "sucks" for little money...get out and move on. If it doesn't suck,you get to try lots of different types...or just what you want! A no lose situation!!!!!
    jimsock9
    Cheeseburger
    RE: pizza-by-the-pound 2008/02/13 12:23:03 (permalink)
    "What can we getcha today, sizzlechest?"
    "Ahhh, lemme have 18 ounces of the meatball hero, 21 ounces of sicilian, (16 ounces w/sausage and 5 ounces w/ mushroom)....and I'll take a 6 ounce salad on the side."
    "Ya want anything to drink with that?"
    "Oh yeah....gimme a 22 ounce Coke...just a little ice."
    "You want that meatball with cheese?"
    "Yeah, parmigiana.....about 1/16th of a pound,please"
    "Okay, comin' right up"

Yeah, and this place is really good, too, because they give me like 3 ounces of sausage on each slice, well, that's on a 14 ounce slice...the 5 ounce slices had more like 1 and 1/2 ounces....anyway,
    this place......."What kind of dressing you want on that salad"
    "Ahhh, I think I'll have 2 1/4 ounces of the Italian this time around...thanks"
    "Alright...that'll be $23.85...hey, you come back in on Thursday and we'll be havin'
    a special......134 pieces of spaghetti for $3.95.....and that includes like 4 1/2 ounces of meatsauce and a 1/6 pound meatball."
    "Hey, sounds like a great deal....I'll see ya then!"
    "Alright there bro, you have a good night.."
    "Thanks...you too"

Yeah, that's a great idea.....why didn't we Americans invent it?

NebGuy
    Double Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 875
    RE: pizza-by-the-pound 2008/02/13 12:27:57 (permalink)
    quote:

"What can we getcha today, sizzlechest?"
    "Ahhh, lemme have 18 ounces of the meatball hero, 21 ounces of sicilian, (16 ounces w/sausage and 5 ounces w/ mushroom)....and I'll take a 6 ounce salad on the side."
    "Ya want anything to drink with that?"
    "Oh yeah....gimme a 22 ounce Coke...just a little ice."
    "You want that meatball with cheese?"
    "Yeah, parmigiana.....about 1/16th of a pound,please"
    "Okay, comin' right up"

Actually that is a great idea. You got exactly what you wanted, nothing more nothing less.
    Scorereader
    Sirloin
    • Total Posts : 5563
    RE: pizza-by-the-pound 2008/02/13 13:21:46 (permalink)
    quote:

Well then, a small piece will make you realize it "sucks" for little money...get out and move on. If it doesn't suck,you get to try lots of different types...or just what you want! A no lose situation!!!!!

in that case, we can start doing that at all restaurants. buy everything by the pound.

Sorry, I don't care what the Italians are doing, I'm happy to buy a slice. I've never bought a slice that was so bad, I couldn't finish it. If that happens to someone, that person may want to reconsider their choice of eating establishment before going in. I've never been to an independent pizzaria and hated the pizza so bad, I couldn't finish it. I might not go back, but, if I'm going to have pizza for lunch, I'm not going out for lunch to "try" pizza, I'm going out to lunch to "eat" pizza. If I don't like the slice, I'm not leaving and going to another pizzaria to find a better slice.

The good pizzarias that serve slices, have had pizza out for viewing for as long as I can remember. I never ordered a slice from a menu and had to wait for them to make the slice. I chose a slice from a pizza that was in view - and I grew up in the NorthEast. If I ordered a whole pie, then sure, I might order off the menu, because then I'm not limited to just what they had laying out.

Aand who ever suggested that people aren't keen on the idea because those people feel that "anything different is something that should be feared" is ridiculous. I don't want to buy my pizza by the pound, because I feel a slice of pizza is good enough. People who want 1/2 slice and want to pay half price is going to end up jacking up the price for everyone else. What's next? 3" subs? 1/8 sandwiches?

It may be a novel idea, but I wouldn't frequent a place where I can't just order a slice and pay for a slice without them sticking it on a scale.

Besides, part of the experience of buying a slice of pizza is just that, getting a slice, Folding it over. It's not the same experience getting a piece of a slice. You lose out on the entire slice experience. At least with a round pie, maybe not so much with sicilian style, but with a neopolitan pie, you really lose out not getting an entire slice.

leethebard
    Sirloin
    RE: pizza-by-the-pound 2008/02/13 13:47:09 (permalink)
    Oh please scorereader, be real.....
    Pizza by the piece and weight is one little item...We're not talking about a whole menu of items. It's hard to describe...but these small counter pizza places in Rome work! There are traditional places too...but the pizza by place places are fun!!!, Convenient!!! fast!!! and cheap!!!
    Page: 12 > Showing page 1 of 2
    Jump to:
    © 2014 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1