plantain

Author
dendan
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 479
2003/11/26 14:05:43 (permalink)

plantain

Have found the joy of the BIG banana theplantain. Had our first one cut in 1/2" slices and lightly browned in butter. SO good....What else can we do with them ...at 25 cents each they are too good to pass up.

13 Replies Related Threads

i95
    Double Chili Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 2500
    RE: plantain 2003/11/26 14:49:19 (permalink)
    Don't overlook the wonderful simplicity of just lightly cooked plaintains, dendan. While I was used to having such in my favorite Caribbean or Central American restaurants, I just had the most delightfully sauteed plaintains as a side dish to some wonderfully pan-fried chicken at a West African restaurant strangely called Roger Miller's in Silver Spring, Maryland just over the Washington, D.C. line. Superb Cameroon food even with the weird "King of the Road" nomenclature!

Happy TG!!
    RibDog
    Double Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 593
    RE: plantain 2003/11/26 16:15:29 (permalink)
    Ah, but the question is how ripe did you let the plantain get before you used it. I was taught by a cuban here in Tampa Bay to let it get totally black on the skin before cooking it. Most people, including our maid, will not let it get there before throwing it out. I had to teach her how good it is when it gets that ripe.

John
    tiki
    Filet Mignon
    • Total Posts : 4140
    RE: plantain 2003/11/26 16:30:04 (permalink)
    when we lived in Jamaica we had the pleasure of getting to know Carlton Campbell---calton was a rasta who grew up with Peter Tosh AND a wonderful "Ital" cook---toured with LOTS of reggae folks as thier "chef"--he was always turning the simplest group of foods into wonderful food that always just burst with flavor. One thing he would do was to saute planatins in butter---very "dear" in Jamaica--and serve them at breakfast on toasted "Hard dough" bread and "Cocoa Tea"--localy hot chocolat--that we bought from Mrs. Macintosh---Peter Tosh's mother--but my favorite was plantain porridge!
    He would grate the entire plantain very finely---peel and all---this was a very firm gren plantain--this is mixed with a little coconut milk---made by grating the fresh coconut and liguifying it with a little water---and sweetened with what is called "wet sugar"--unfortunately this is NOT available here in the states---its not very porcessed,I hear it is actually illegal --wierd---any way this was cooked down slowly till its nice and thick----its REALLY GOOD! There was a local kid that vended ice cream every day starting early in the am---we often topped a morning bowl with a scoop of Grapenut ice cream---yes they loved grapenut icecream--Just thinking about it is making my mouth water! Of course remembering that i sat outside to eat it on the side of a hill that overlooked Bluefields Bay in Jamica,may have slanted my memory as to how good it was---but i doubt it. You might want to tryn it--its really simple and really good and you dont have to use the skin unlesas your really "Ital"--about 1 plantain per person--and sweeten with a light molasses.
    tiki
    Filet Mignon
    • Total Posts : 4140
    RE: plantain 2003/11/26 16:32:22 (permalink)
    sorry about the spelling/typing---the carpel tunnel is being nasty.
    Bushie
    Filet Mignon
    • Total Posts : 2902
    RE: plantain 2003/11/28 16:39:54 (permalink)
    I've said this on other threads, but I LOVE plantain sliced and fried like potato chips. Fantastic just salted and eaten by themselves, but dipped in aioli, they're hard to beat.
    lleechef
    Sirloin
    • Total Posts : 7027
    RE: plantain 2003/11/28 18:13:57 (permalink)
    Bushie, I'm with you, sliced and smashed a little and fried, used to serve them with Caribbean dishes like snapper with orange rum butter, mango salsa and sweet potatoes. The fried plantains were a good accompaniament.
    Sundancer7
    Fire Safety Admin
    • Total Posts : 13523
    RE: plantain 2003/11/30 06:30:32 (permalink)
    I use to spend a lot of time in Puerto Rico due to the tax benefits to the pharmaceutical industry. Our facility ws located on the NE part of the island and the restaurant facilities tended to be local fare. It seemed that every dish served had plantains in it. I grew to enjoy them a lot. I hardly ever see them used in Tennessee.

Paul E. Smith
    Knoxville, TN
    Kristi S.
    Double Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 712
    RE: plantain 2003/11/30 08:25:13 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by Bushie

I've said this on other threads, but I LOVE plantain sliced and fried like potato chips. Fantastic just salted and eaten by themselves, but dipped in aioli, they're hard to beat.

Have to agree w/Bushie. I bought a bag of Chifles chips yesterday. And while we're on the subject of plantains, I got a nice little Caribbean cookbook in the mail yesterday from Goya. They have some great recipes in there, some utilizing plantain. You can order the book from goya.com (free, too!).
    Has anyone here tried yuca? I like to slice it, boil it then saute it in garlic butter. It's a nice substitute for mashed potatoes.
    dendan
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 479
    RE: plantain 2003/12/02 15:58:38 (permalink)
    Thanks to all....a free booklet...I'll be on their site soon...but hate to leave Roadfood!!
    Bushie
    Filet Mignon
    • Total Posts : 2902
    RE: plantain 2003/12/03 09:27:49 (permalink)
    Thanks for the tips, Kristi! Never eaten yucca that I know of (although I've indulged in a "liquid" form of it's cousin ), but I'll look for some.
    lleechef
    Sirloin
    • Total Posts : 7027
    RE: plantain 2003/12/03 11:21:12 (permalink)
    I LOVE YUCCA!!! My Brazilian cooks would get all excited when I'd do something with yucca. It very much resembles a potato, I was making fried yucca sticks to go with a mahi dish.....steamed the sticks then deep-fried them. Yucca and rice are eaten at least once a day in Brazil, or so it seemed to me when I was there. There is also yucca flour that is used a lot, main ingredient in farofa and other Brazilian dishes. Maybe it's what enables all those lovely ladies down there to wear thong bikinis!! " />" />
    scbuzz
    Double Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 844
    RE: plantain 2003/12/03 11:40:26 (permalink)
    Two words ..... Yucca !!!

Although I must admit ... I enjoyed the vision of the brazilian thongs !!!
    Richard Brooks Alba
    Hamburger
    • Total Posts : 93
    RE: plantain 2003/12/03 12:43:41 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by dendan

Have found the joy of the BIG banana the plantain. Had our first one cut in 1/2" slices and lightly browned in butter. SO good....What else can we do with them ...at 25 cents each they are too good to pass up.

Dendan, et al.,
    I have to say, a favored memory of mine was getting fried plantain served with crema [like Mexican 'crème fraîche'] and just a minimal sprinkling of sugar, when I was visiting family in Mexico City as a kid. I prepare unripe bananas the same way today, if I happen to have them (& some crema) around. Another preparation, that I have a much fuzzier memory of, is plantain fritters. Mashed plantain would be mixed with bits of cooked pork and garlic and pan-fried. I think there was some special sauce that would get made just for these fritters, but darned if I can even remember any of the flavor elements [if I was real young, it may have been a hot salsa] - today I might serve them with one of my fruit salsas, or with crema....
    Buen provecho,
    Richard
    Berkeley/SF, CA
    Jump to:
    © 2014 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1