question about a pulled pork sandwich

Author
capttelly
Junior Burger
  • Total Posts : 20
2010/04/17 21:14:37 (permalink)

question about a pulled pork sandwich

Going to add a pork sand. to cart...was wondering how much pork, 4 oz. or 6 oz. was thinking about asking $4.00...good/bad idea...

28 Replies Related Threads

machineman
    Hamburger
    • Total Posts : 95
    Re:question about a pulled pork sandwich 2010/04/17 21:56:59 (permalink)
    Can you even sell that stuff from a hot dog cart in florida?
    capttelly
    Junior Burger
    • Total Posts : 20
    Re:question about a pulled pork sandwich 2010/04/17 22:09:25 (permalink)
    as I understand the regs...if it is precooked/prepared...all your doing is reheating the product...same as a hot dog/brat...the rule is that you can not cook raw food on a cart, if you go into the  "Cook mode" you pull the trigger on the 3 compartment sinks and some other requirements....

olddude2
    Double Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 716
    Re:question about a pulled pork sandwich 2010/04/17 22:20:48 (permalink)
    hey capt glad to see your still hangin in, thought one of those 4 cart for sale was yours. lol.  what I am told is I can't even have chili or cheese in the cart, without resorting to individual servings.  You may be opening the way, hope you are,  just hope Mr. Hilton or one of his boys dosen't by for a sandwich, or our state representative  Patronis.  Pre cooked food could open up carts to, the point where we may be able to make a living.  I take it tho that the dogs ain't gettin the job done for you either. 
    post edited by olddude2 - 2010/04/17 22:37:40
    chefbuba
    Double Chili Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 1983
    Re:question about a pulled pork sandwich 2010/04/18 01:56:58 (permalink)
    capttelly

Going to add a pork sand. to cart...was wondering how much pork, 4 oz. or 6 oz. was thinking about asking $4.00...good/bad idea...

What's your cost on the sand? That will tell you if $4 is good....
    DadsDogs
    Double Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 629
    Re:question about a pulled pork sandwich 2010/04/18 02:23:30 (permalink)
    capttelly

as I understand the regs...if it is precooked/prepared...all your doing is reheating the product...same as a hot dog/brat...the rule is that you can not cook raw food on a cart, if you go into the  "Cook mode" you pull the trigger on the 3 compartment sinks and some other requirements....

With all due respect, I don't think you are understanding them correctly.  I am not from your state but I have learned much on this forum from other members in other places, Florida included.  From what I have learned you would be in violation.  BUT.......if you do get your HD to approve what you are hoping to sell, Congratulations.    DD
    post edited by DadsDogs - 2010/04/18 02:25:40
    Curbside Grill
    Filet Mignon
    • Total Posts : 3916
    Re:question about a pulled pork sandwich 2010/04/18 06:59:48 (permalink)
    DadsDogs

capttelly

With all due respect, I don't think you are understanding them correctly.  I am not from your state but I have learned much on this forum from other members in other places, Florida included.  From what I have learned you would be in violation.  BUT.......if you do get your HD to approve what you are hoping to sell, Congratulations.    DD

I second that. I would contact HD, it is thier interpretation of the laws, not your interpretation. Pulled pork pre cooked or not. My area can do dogs, no Bologna. Go figure. There went my fried bologna sandwiches.

post edited by Curbside Grill - 2010/04/18 07:15:01
    THE WILD DOG
    • Total Posts : 1465
    Re:question about a pulled pork sandwich 2010/04/18 07:14:49 (permalink)
    Fried bologna ... Mmmmmm  I like me some pan fried mix up myself :-D
    Gene's Dogs
    Double Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 719
    Re:question about a pulled pork sandwich 2010/04/18 09:27:03 (permalink)
    it's always a tough call to ask HD about something possibly borderline, because it's so easy to just say no.  i know of a person who sold a precooked chicken breast sandwich for several years prior to being told he couldn't do that.  i know of a different guy who argued with HD about serving the ever-forbidden red onion sauce and won.  he bathes it in 160F degree water and they apparently let him at it.

...ask for forgiveness instead of permission?

my cart is really too small to devote space to anything more than i am doing now, but i might just up and move somewhere if they'd let me earn a living....btw i am taking destination suggestions...
    BillyB
    Filet Mignon
    • Total Posts : 2851
    Re:question about a pulled pork sandwich 2010/04/18 09:39:56 (permalink)
    depends on how big the bun is, make one and see the portion size you want to serve.
    machineman
    Hamburger
    Re:question about a pulled pork sandwich 2010/04/18 21:48:41 (permalink)
    Curbside Grill

I second that. I would contact HD, it is thier interpretation of the laws, not your interpretation. Pulled pork pre cooked or not. My area can do dogs, no Bologna. Go figure. There went my fried bologna sandwiches.

Maybe there's some language here that could keep bologna on your menu :)

Edit: sigh... I tried to post a link but it won't let me. I must say that's a dumb rule.

edwmax
    • Total Posts : 2068
    Re:question about a pulled pork sandwich 2010/04/19 09:30:04 (permalink)
    capttelly

What does your food Lic. say you can serve?  A license to operate as a "Hotdog Cart" can only sell frankfurters.

machineman
    Hamburger
    Re:question about a pulled pork sandwich 2010/04/19 09:37:01 (permalink)
    edwmax

capttelly

What does your food Lic. say you can serve?  A license to operate as a "Hotdog Cart" can only sell frankfurters.

There's this gray area where bologna is defined as a frankfurter by the USDA. heh.

http://www.fsis.usda.gov/Fact_Sheets/Hot_Dogs/index.asp 

edwmax
    Re:question about a pulled pork sandwich 2010/04/19 09:41:08 (permalink)
    olddude2

hey capt glad to see your still hangin in, thought one of those 4 cart for sale was yours. lol.  what I am told is I can't even have chili or cheese in the cart, without resorting to individual servings.  You may be opening the way, hope you are,  just hope Mr. Hilton or one of his boys dosen't by for a sandwich, or our state representative  Patronis.  Pre cooked food could open up carts to, the point where we may be able to make a living.  I take it tho that the dogs ain't gettin the job done for you either. 

What makes a "hotdog cart" a hotdog cart?    ... A cart is a piece of equipment used to cook, prepare and serve food.    .... That being said, if a MFDV (cart) that meets the requirements for serving the food being sold, why can't it sell food other than a Hotdog.   ..... A different type of food license is required other than the "hotdog" only license.

My question is  " is there Florida code that defines what a "hotdog cart" is or is not?"

post edited by edwmax - 2010/04/20 10:59:06
    BillyB
    Filet Mignon
    • Total Posts : 2851
    Re:question about a pulled pork sandwich 2010/04/19 10:42:54 (permalink)
    I think Florida plays it real safe, they know the hot dogs are smoked and you could probably let them sit out for hours and not hurt anyone. I wouldn't do that with many other items, like shredded pork. The hot dog could be taken out of the package and eaten, what does that tell you. I know many people who used to take a uncooked dog out of the refer and let their kid eat it for a snack. Florida is telling all the vendors that they don't trust the process, and knowledge of the street vendor, to let them venture out into any other food varieties.....Billyb
    edwmax
    Re:question about a pulled pork sandwich 2010/04/19 12:58:19 (permalink)
    Billy B,

That I understand, but that wasn't my question.   .... A cart is no different than a BBQ grill/smoker on wheels.   So if someone can cook raw meat, prepare & serve the food from a BBQ grill/smoker (or like equipment) serving burgers, pulled pork & chicken at fairs, events or parking lots, then why can't this be done from a Cart?

From http://www.myfloridalicen...licensing/GT_MDFV.html  , it appears that Florida has a "hotdog only" type of MFDV license and thus restricts the vendor to frankfurters only.  So by obtaining the regular MFDV food permit, why can't burgers, pulled pork and other foods be prepare and served the same as any other MFDV vendor from a cart.  .... I know you would still have meet the HD requirements for serving the food being prepared and sold.

What I'm thinking of is a vendor using a step-side van equipped with frig & freezer; generator; washing & cleaning space; food storage & supplies; and pulling a "cart" (may be a big TopDog style).  Minimum setup and conversion required to the Van.  .....

The vendor pulls into a location; .... rolls out a side awning or opens a hard top awning from the van side; .... unhooks the cart and moves it under the awning;   .... and he is open for business serving burgers, pulled pork, fried bologna sandwiches,  deep fried chicken, french fries, cold slaw and whatever else he is legal to sell the same a "Bubba Bob's" fishing club at a local event cooking off of a 55 gal oil drum grill.

post edited by edwmax - 2010/04/19 13:05:19
    olddude2
    Double Cheeseburger
    Re:question about a pulled pork sandwich 2010/04/19 16:28:43 (permalink)
    ED: what your talking about is no longer a food cart, it's a mobil kitchen.

i think a step in the right direction is to get the nomenclature "hot dog cart " removed and replaced with mobile food cart.
    edwmax
    Re:question about a pulled pork sandwich 2010/04/19 17:13:48 (permalink)
    olddude2

ED: what your talking about is no longer a food cart, it's a mobil kitchen.

i think a step in the right direction is to get the nomenclature "hot dog cart " removed and replaced with mobile food cart.

That is my point.   .... A "hotdog cart" only sells or is only licensed to sell hotdogs.   ..... The equipment (cart) is capable of doing much more than hotdogs.   ,,,But, what I described above is still what most people would call a "hotdog" cart being used to prepare the food.      .....  What matters is better & increased refrigerated storage capacity to keep uncooked meat until needed, than the normal "ice/cooler box" on the cart.

My question in Florida "what makes a "hotdog cart" a hotdog cart?"   .... Does Florida have a code section that states certain types of equipment or arrangements of equipment can only sell hotdog?   Or, is it the type of MFDV license that a vendor gets that states he can only sell hotdogs.    .... I don't see anything that describes or restricts "hotdog only" carts.

post edited by edwmax - 2010/04/20 11:04:38
    olddude2
    Double Cheeseburger
    Re:question about a pulled pork sandwich 2010/04/19 17:23:06 (permalink)
    I don't see a problem with what you are tring to do, but then Im not in charge, some towns and areas not only ban carts but ban catering trucks, I would check to see if this would be considered a catering truck.

Just more confusing, vague, regs.
    edwmax
    Re:question about a pulled pork sandwich 2010/04/19 17:41:45 (permalink)
    olddude2

I don't see a problem with what you are tring to do, but then Im not in charge, some towns and areas not only ban carts but ban catering trucks, I would check to see if this would be considered a catering truck.

Just more confusing, vague, regs.

capttelly's question was about adding pulled pork sandwiches to his cart operation.  Since Florida seems to have a "hotdog only" MFDV license, it depend on what his license would allow him to do and if his equipment meets the HD requirements to serve that type of food, mostly refrigeration.

As far as what I plan to do ..... humm .... I've been kicking several ideas around   ..... mobile trailer kitchen  ... or  big cart with cargo van/trailer support.
    edwmax
    Re:question about a pulled pork sandwich 2010/04/19 17:49:29 (permalink)
    machineman

There's this gray area where bologna is defined as a frankfurter by the USDA. heh.

http://www.fsis.usda.gov/Fact_Sheets/Hot_Dogs/index.asp 

I agree about bologna being nothing more than an oversize frankfurter.    Us rednecks in south Georgia affectionately call these "Alabama round steaks"

Curbside Grill
    Filet Mignon
    • Total Posts : 3916
    Re:question about a pulled pork sandwich 2010/04/20 03:29:10 (permalink)
    I have some legal questions, not living there anymore. But whenever I return there are people setting up on private property, no Lic.  
    Now Fl use to have a ethnic food law for weekends. That is why they only come out on weekends.
    That is why in middle FL. BBQ stick burners in every parking lot. Best ones I can tell you where they are at in Tampa and surrounding areas. Crabcakes,  meat pies. See people set up with grills in their own yards sell sausages, fried gator, their so called cheese steaks. I was down there just a few days ago, they are still going strong.
    Gene's Dogs
    Double Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 719
    Re:question about a pulled pork sandwich 2010/04/20 08:43:58 (permalink)
    those folks are all over here too.  i guess it's legal for the fellow with a BBQ cooker to just set up and cook.  i wonder if i got a BBQ grill and just set up if i'd be legal even though i'm already licensed for a cart.

i certainly don't know all the rules, i do know you can get a catering license and serve about anything you want, but you can not do it from a hot dog cart.  if you want to do both you have to buy two licenses.  what i can't figure out is why some folks cook in their commissary and others can pull a propane fryer and a flat grill out under a canopy and do whatever they want.  now the guy with the flat grill can cook dogs on it or can steam or boil them.

i do like a fried bologna sandwich. 
    post edited by Gene's Dogs - 2010/04/20 20:32:18
    olddude2
    Double Cheeseburger
    Re:question about a pulled pork sandwich 2010/04/20 08:57:33 (permalink)
    Hmmmm I gotta check into this private property thing.  I own 3 1/1/2 A, lots right on 231 zoned agriculture which the county won't let me do any thing with, no house no restaurent (we looked into a Subway franchise) , no business of any kind.  The 3 lots have a total of 1200 ft road frontage with a crossover hwy turnarround at the intersection.  Any one else know any thing about this law.
    scali71
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 121
    Re:question about a pulled pork sandwich 2010/04/20 12:21:38 (permalink)
    olddude, I would check into getting the land re-zoned. I would guess the county would be happy to as this means more property tax to them
    olddude2
    Double Cheeseburger
    Re:question about a pulled pork sandwich 2010/04/20 17:47:00 (permalink)
    hey homie, I wish I was back in Tulsa, I'm from Brokenarrow, worked at Doenges bros ford till 85.  This is Bay county florida, take lots of money to rezone here. the want no business on the way to Panama city. it may stop a couple of bucks before it gets there.  this is a whole new world down here.  If you think Oklahoma is good ol boy run, you ain't seen nothin.
    scali71
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 121
    Re:question about a pulled pork sandwich 2010/04/20 19:10:59 (permalink)
    Wow small world, I actually live in Broken Arrow. Good luck with all that yellow tape there lol
    pigrig
    Junior Burger
    • Total Posts : 9
    Re:question about a pulled pork sandwich 2013/08/01 13:09:35 (permalink)
    food okies! love the way the city/county has a relaxed attitude, unlike many other cities it's size

top^dog
    Hamburger
    • Total Posts : 89
    Re:question about a pulled pork sandwich 2013/08/01 15:05:20 (permalink)
    if your understanding is precooked/prepared just try it. if the HD doesnt approve they may come around and tell you to stop...no biggie, as mentioned figure your cost... im not sure pre-packaged stuff is cost effective, your going to either have to make a small sandwich for around 4 bucks or make a bigger one and charge more
    Jump to:
    © 2014 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1