"Caddie" hot dog buns?

Author
LipscombVol
Junior Burger
  • Total Posts : 6
2005/11/17 10:33:48 (permalink)

"Caddie" hot dog buns?

Growing up in the south in the 70's, we had a unique hot dog bun at our table called, I think, Caddies? They were a firm, slightly sweet tasting bun in the shape of a U. Your hot dog would fit snugly down into this delicious, but unusual bun. I loved them as a child, but haven't been able to find them. Does anyone out there remember these, or know if anyone is still making them?

12 Replies Related Threads

Michael Hoffman
    Double-chop Porterhouse
    • Total Posts : 18629
    RE: "Caddie" hot dog buns? 2005/11/17 10:44:30 (permalink)
    I cannot recall the name, but I do remember those "buns." I bought some once out of curiosity and used them. Each of my kids had a hot dog in one, my wife did, and I did. I believe there were eight "buns" in the package. Four whole ones got tossed out, along with the leftovers that had hotdogs in them.
    LipscombVol
    Junior Burger
    • Total Posts : 6
    RE: "Caddie" hot dog buns? 2005/11/17 10:51:23 (permalink)
    Michael,
    Hmmm... Geuss your family didn't share quite the same reaction as I had! Thanks for the post anyway!
    mrtoothe
    Junior Burger
    • Total Posts : 1
    RE: "Caddie" hot dog buns? 2008/12/02 20:23:26 (permalink)
    They interlock I'm looking for them too I think they were peppridge farm's
    Tony Bad
    Fire Safety Admin
    • Total Posts : 5116
    RE: "Caddie" hot dog buns? 2008/12/02 21:31:29 (permalink)
    [url='http://www.toufayan.com/Products/product-snuggles.php']These[/url] are the ones we have had for the past 20 years or so, but I do remember another brand as kid. The Toufayan variety are okay, but sometime break if you load up the bun too much.

I see you are in TN, and their web site says they are available there at Kroger, Bi Lo, Publix, and Ingles
    John A
    Filet Mignon
    • Total Posts : 4295
    RE: "Caddie" hot dog buns? 2008/12/03 15:16:48 (permalink)
    I haunt the shelves at Publix and WM looking for rolls like this, no luck in the Daytona Beach area.
    ThrashATL
    Hamburger
    • Total Posts : 75
    RE: "Caddie" hot dog buns? 2008/12/04 08:40:37 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by John A

I haunt the shelves at Publix and WM looking for rolls like this, no luck in the Daytona Beach area.

Really? Publix? The Publix in the Atlanta area have em right on a rack near the end of the deli meat & cheese section, not in the traditional bread aisle.
    Tony Bad
    Fire Safety Admin
    RE: "Caddie" hot dog buns? 2008/12/04 09:42:17 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by John A

The web site says Publix, Wal Mart, Sweetbay, Albertsons, Winn Dixie, and IGA in Florida. As Thrash ATL already mentioned, they are usually on a separate stand near either the deli counter or near the cooler where dogs are located. The company's big sellers are pita breads and such, so you may want to look where those are located. I gotta tell you though, they really are just okay. I don't want you hunting them down and being disappointed.
    John A
    Filet Mignon
    • Total Posts : 4295
    RE: "Caddie" hot dog buns? 2008/12/04 17:26:00 (permalink)
    Aha! Thanks for the heads up. I checked the bread aisles at both Wal Mart and Publix earlier today, wrong place. Will try again tomorrow. I'm not happy with the regular rolls so have nothing to lose by trying these if I can find them.
    dtortor1
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 334
    RE: "Caddie" hot dog buns? 2009/01/06 00:54:46 (permalink)
    I just found these buns and love them...sorry to resurrect and older topic...

I'm opening a concession trailer and would love to use them but am afraid of the logistics of it...

looks like not everyone is a favorable of them as I am...

Do you guys just not really like them that much?

Would you rather have a more traditional bun?

Dom
    Tony Bad
    Fire Safety Admin
    RE: "Caddie" hot dog buns? 2009/01/06 09:29:25 (permalink)
    dtortor1

I just found these buns and love them...sorry to resurrect and older topic...

I'm opening a concession trailer and would love to use them but am afraid of the logistics of it...

looks like not everyone is a favorable of them as I am...

Do you guys just not really like them that much?

Would you rather have a more traditional bun?

Dom

All taste preferences aside, I find them rather fragile, which would make me concerned about using in a commercial setting. If you are loading them in a hurry, or really stuffing them, they will often split on the bottom. Not good for you!

Jon B
    Junior Burger
    • Total Posts : 1
    RE: "Caddie" hot dog buns? 2013/12/06 23:17:05 (permalink)
    Hi. I guess I'm kind of late getting into this thread but I figure maybe somebody will still come around. I found this thread because I'm looking for something like this.

We had something like what I think you're talking about when I was a kid (Late 60's, early 70's). They were called "Willies Weenie Wagons". They had a picture of one on the front of the box with wagon wheels and a cover like the covered wagons in the westerns. They were buns with a U-shaped cutout in the top slightly bigger than a hot dog and a bit deeper. You could put in a hot dog and a small amount of toppings without changing the shape of the bun or overflowing. They were aimed at kids who don't put a lot of toppings. It would be nice to have a kids size and an adult size for people that want to load their dogs down with a lot of toppings.

Has anybody found anything?
    mar52
    Sirloin
    • Total Posts : 8065
    RE: "Caddie" hot dog buns? 2013/12/07 00:40:05 (permalink)
    I saw them last year at Sprouts.

Don't remember the name they were being sold under.
    Jump to:
    © 2014 APG vNext Trial Version 5.1