Sign In | Register for Free!
Restaurants Recipes Forums EatingTours Merchandise FAQ Maps Insider
Forum Themes:
Welcome !

"Flavored" beers

Change Page: 123 > | Showing page 1 of 3, messages 1 to 30 of 68
NYNM

• Total Posts: 3037
"Flavored" beers Sun, 02/17/08 7:03 PM (permalink)
I like to "play" with flavors and am on the look-out for "flavored" beers.

Just now I am sipping on Pipeline Kona, "porter made with 1005 Hawaiian Kona Coffee" (says so right on the label)from Kna Brewery, Hawaii. It's pretty good although the coffee just darkens the flavors, its not a strong coffee taste.

I also have "chelada" in my fridge, an Anheiser-Busch version of the Mexican favorite (AKA MIchelada) made with beer, tomato juice and jalepenos (taste good!)

I've also bught Chile-flavored beer in Santa Fe, but I can't remember the brand.

And of course Belgium and Germany sells fruit-flavored beers.

What can you add to my investigation?

leethebard

• Total Posts: 6070
    RE: "Flavored" beers Sun, 02/17/08 7:07 PM (permalink)
    The english sell something called Tandy,which is a lemon flavored beer. It is very popular. I tried it and it tasted like,well,beer with lemon in it. To me pure beer is preferable to any flavored concotion. I prefer my beer and my coffee straight...no flavors added. I want to taste the true quality,not other flavors. If I were going to put syrups and stuff in my beer,I'd start with the cheapest stuff I could find!!!!!

Davydd

• Total Posts: 6222
      RE: "Flavored" beers Sun, 02/17/08 8:00 PM (permalink)
      I am not much into flavored beers either. I once home brewed a cherry stout but then cherries are one of the flavors I do like in drinks. Bell's in Michigan brews an excellent cherry stout. Another popular drink around my area is Leinenkugel's Honey Weiss.

Tony Bad

RE: "Flavored" beers Sun, 02/17/08 8:20 PM (permalink)
        quote:
        Originally posted by leethebard

The english sell something called Tandy,which is a lemon flavored beer. It is very popular. I tried it and it tasted like,well,beer with lemon in it. To me pure beer is preferable to any flavored concotion. I prefer my beer and my coffee straight...no flavors added. I want to taste the true quality,not other flavors. If I were going to put syrups and stuff in my beer,I'd start with the cheapest stuff I could find!!!!!

I have heard it called a "shandy" rather than Tandy, but not sure which is right. The one I had was a mix of beer and lemon/lime soda. Also had the German version which they call Radler. It is okay if VERY cold, but was quite hard to finish as it warmed a bit.

I have had German and Austrian beers that are served in a special glass that has a little chamber at the bottom which holds a fruit preserve of some type that only comes out when the glass is close to empty and is tipped up quite high. It was interesting, but not a favorite.

My local brewery, Bluepoint, makes Blueberry Ale, which despite my aversion to fruit beers, is actually pretty good. The blueberry taste is very subtle. The Sam Adams Cherry Wheat is also passable, but might rank higher if you like fruit and beer.

BhamBabe

• Total Posts: 879
          RE: "Flavored" beers Sun, 02/17/08 8:49 PM (permalink)
          Abita Beer brews different flavors every year. They also have some that are always on the brewing list. Purple Haze, it's a wheat beer with raspberry puree added. Since I'm not fond of beer, esp wheat beer, I found it really bad. Real tart!

I havent worked up the courage to try their Christmas specials yet.

wheregreggeats.com

RE: "Flavored" beers Mon, 02/18/08 7:06 AM (permalink)
            I am not partial to flavored beers ... There is so much range in good beers that, IMO, we don't need the "enhancements".

leethebard

RE: "Flavored" beers Mon, 02/18/08 9:01 AM (permalink)
              Tony Bad,
              Now you got me wondering. You might be right. Now I'm not sure.Tandy,Shandy,maybe a Brit. can tell us. All I know was it seemed popular over there in cans, but I didn't like it!

uconn

• Total Posts: 4
                RE: "Flavored" beers Mon, 02/18/08 10:23 AM (permalink)
                Not sure what it was called but I saw someone order a Red bull & Guinness in Richomnd, VA. I thought it was gross, but maybe it tasts ok.

Mosca

• Total Posts: 2929
                  RE: "Flavored" beers Mon, 02/18/08 10:43 AM (permalink)
                  Well geez folks, we DO have the internet at our disposal for things! Wiki defines SHANDY as beer flavored with lemon, also known in Germany as "radler", and in France as "panaché".
                  The only entry for "tandy" is for the computer company once a division of Radio Shack.

For me, I prefer to relax on the "purist" stance and just drink the stuff and see if I like it. I used to be purist, but it took too much energy and wasn't any fun. Some flavored beers are good, and some are not, is all I can say on the matter.

leethebard

RE: "Flavored" beers Mon, 02/18/08 11:00 AM (permalink)
                    Thanks Mosca,for being my internet!

tamandmik

• Total Posts: 949
                      RE: "Flavored" beers Tue, 02/19/08 12:04 PM (permalink)
                      quote:
                      Originally posted by NYNM

I've also bught Chile-flavored beer in Santa Fe, but I can't remember the brand.

Eske's in Taos? http://www.eskesbrewpub.com/

mikez629

• Total Posts: 307
                        RE: "Flavored" beers Tue, 02/19/08 12:36 PM (permalink)
                        Sam Adams makes a Cranberry Lambic-very good-there used to be a Sam Adams brew house near the Prudential Center-they had it on tap-very good.

Mosca

• Total Posts: 2929
                          RE: "Flavored" beers Tue, 02/19/08 3:39 PM (permalink)
                          quote:
                          Originally posted by leethebard

Thanks Mosca,for being my internet!

efuery

• Total Posts: 630
                            RE: "Flavored" beers Tue, 02/19/08 3:46 PM (permalink)
                            New Belgium (Fort Collins, CO) frambozen and old cherry ales were college favorites of mine.

NYNM

RE: "Flavored" beers Tue, 02/19/08 8:06 PM (permalink)
                              quote:
                              Originally posted by tamandmik

quote:
                              Originally posted by NYNM

Eske's in Taos? http://www.eskesbrewpub.com/

Thanks, but no, that's not it. Shall it remain a mystery? (I did a google on chile berrs, chile flavored beer, etc, but nada. Too but, it's fun to drink!

jeepguy

• Total Posts: 1555
                                RE: "Flavored" beers Wed, 02/20/08 3:29 AM (permalink)
                                Maybe it's Cave Creek Chile Beer. It has a big jalapeno stuffed into the bottle. Pretty hot stuff when you get to the bottom!

mreale

• Total Posts: 5
                                  RE: "Flavored" beers Wed, 02/20/08 8:22 AM (permalink)
                                  The Sam Adams Cherry Wheat is good, especially when on tap as it is at a local tavern...with wings. Yummmmm... And yes, I am a "girl".

Louis

• Total Posts: 713
                                    RE: "Flavored" beers Wed, 02/20/08 9:48 AM (permalink)
                                    I remember I had a shandy in a Wimpy's hamburger chain in London, England in late November 1973. It was a perfect blend of beer and lemonade. I took a large swig, held it in mouth and closed my eyes. If I thought lemonade, I tasted lemonade. If I thought beer, I tasted beer.

leethebard

RE: "Flavored" beers Wed, 02/20/08 11:15 AM (permalink)
                                      Louis,
                                      That's a good way to put it...and accurate too. You definitely taste both tastes...a very interesting experience.

brentk

• Total Posts: 251
                                        RE: "Flavored" beers Wed, 02/20/08 11:32 AM (permalink)
                                        There are flavored beers and flavored beers.

Things such as a shandy or a radler are a far cry from some of the exciting things that craft brewers are doing with ingredients such as coffee, chocolate and various fruits. There are also beers that are aged in barrels that impart various interesting flavors

Since you are in NY, some of the better flavored beers from places like Kuhnhenn, New Glarus, New Belgium and Russian River (to name a few) are unavailable.

But I do have a few recommendations that you should be able to find: Three Philosophers from Brewery Ommegang, Jahva and Choklat (two different brews) from Southern Tier, Golden Delicious from Captain Lawrence, Raspberry Imperial Stout from Weyerbacher

Also, be on the lookout for pumpkin beers in the fall.

NYNM

RE: "Flavored" beers Wed, 02/20/08 11:43 AM (permalink)
                                          quote:
                                          Originally posted by jeepguy

Maybe it's Cave Creek Chile Beer. It has a big jalapeno stuffed into the bottle. Pretty hot stuff when you get to the bottom!

Cave Creek sounds familiar, but I just found a bottle of Rio Grande Pancho Verde Chile Beer tucked back in my fridge. It's made in Albuquerque.

I decided to "play" with it, so I poured in a little of the lemon salt that is used for tequila. Down the longneck, then explosion! Not the taste but the bubbles, half the bottle bubbled up and came out. So there, add salt 2 beer and see what happens!

I also did a Google on Rio Grande Beer, and it pulled a story about a new beer from Mexico with tequila added, and caffeine!! Wierd.

NYNM

• Location: New York, NY/Santa Fe, NM
                                            RE: "Flavored" beers Fri, 02/29/08 9:53 AM (permalink)
                                            I was in my local NYC "grocery" yesterday and found:
                                            Blueberry Ale
                                            Lime/Cactus Beer (Michelob)
                                            Granny Apple Smith Beer
                                            Pear Beer

and probably a few more on the top shelf I was too short to reach...

1bbqboy

• Total Posts: 4542
                                              RE: "Flavored" beers Fri, 02/29/08 10:01 AM (permalink)

jman

• Total Posts: 1275
                                                RE: "Flavored" beers Fri, 02/29/08 10:07 AM (permalink)
                                                Maybe I'm imagination-challenged, but I don't understand why someone would want to ruin a good beer by flavoring it with anything. I guess you could say I like beer-flavored beer.

LoveMyLab

• Total Posts: 150
                                                  RE: "Flavored" beers Fri, 02/29/08 10:15 AM (permalink)
                                                  Tried to enjoy flavored beers. Have put effort into trying flavored beers, just can't enjoy them. There is one raspberry beer "Ruby" brewed at McMennimans at Edgefield, in Troutdale, Oregon. That is the only one I enjoy, if it's mixed with their Terminator Stout.

My husband will try just about any beer. Here is a list he tried and liked:

Chocolate
                                                  Pumpkin
                                                  Jalapeno
                                                  Watermelon
                                                  Blueberry
                                                  Coffee flavored
                                                  Banana!

You can make beer from just about anything!
                                                  Laura

mikez629

• Total Posts: 307
                                                    RE: "Flavored" beers Fri, 02/29/08 10:16 AM (permalink)
                                                    I am going to Philly Craft beer festival on Saturday. There will be many flavored beers there and plan on trying a lot of them-will report back on Monday!

NYNM

• Location: New York, NY/Santa Fe, NM
                                                      RE: "Flavored" beers Fri, 02/29/08 10:41 AM (permalink)
                                                      quote:
                                                      Originally posted by jman

Maybe I'm imagination-challenged, but I don't understand why someone would want to ruin a good beer by flavoring it with anything. I guess you could say I like beer-flavored beer.

Marketing

leethebard

RE: "Flavored" beers Fri, 02/29/08 3:55 PM (permalink)
                                                        I agree,I think beer should taste like beer...but when does flavored beer,stop being a beer and become a "flavored drink??? Is an orange juice that has other fruits added to it still an orange juice, or a fruit punch? Get my point???

Cosmos

• Total Posts: 1448
                                                          • Location: Syracuse, NY
                                                          RE: "Flavored" beers Sun, 03/2/08 9:58 AM (permalink)
                                                          I once had a micro brewed hazelnut flavored beer that was awsome...I never found it again...forgot the name too. I had it at a fund raiser taste-off at the local YWCA in Cortland, NY...(I recall we took second place with our ground lamb dish).

UncleVic

• Total Posts: 6025
                                                            • Joined: 10/14/2003
                                                            • Location: West Palm Beach, FL
                                                            • Roadfood Insider
                                                            RE: "Flavored" beers Sun, 03/2/08 10:18 AM (permalink)
                                                            I prefer the normal beers... Marketing or not, there's enough variations there to keep ones palate happy. BUT, if I do have a flavored beer, about the only one I like is the Woodchuck Ale (apple flavored).

Online Bookmarks Sharing: Share/Bookmark
                                                              Change Page: 123 > | Showing page 1 of 3, messages 1 to 30 of 68

Jump to:

Current active users

There are 0 members and 1 guests.

Icon Legend and Permission

• New Messages
                                                              • No New Messages
                                                              • Hot Topic w/ New Messages
                                                              • Hot Topic w/o New Messages
                                                              • Locked w/ New Messages
                                                              • Locked w/o New Messages
                                                              • Read Message
                                                              • Post New Thread
                                                              • Reply to message
                                                              • Post New Poll
                                                              • Submit Vote
                                                              • Post reward post
                                                              • Delete my own posts
                                                              • Delete my own threads
                                                              • Rate post

2000-2014 ASPPlayground.NET Forum Version 3.9
                                                              What is Roadfood?  |   Privacy Policy  |   Contact Roadfood.com   Copyright 2011 - Roadfood.com