"Hey Batter Batter, Sah WING Batter" Baseball 2012

Page: < 12345.. > >> Showing page 4 of 8
Author
Foodbme
Porterhouse
  • Total Posts : 10328
Re:"Hey Batter Batter, Sah WING Batter" Baseball 2012 2012/03/03 17:21:18 (permalink)
JRPfeff
Can't you just settle for America's Sheriff?

You are correct! We do have "America's Team" AND "America's Sheriff", our beloved Sheriff, Joe Arpiao!

MetroplexJim
Filet Mignon
  • Total Posts : 4218
Re:"Hey Batter Batter, Sah WING Batter" Baseball 2012 2012/03/04 11:38:03 (permalink)
Foodbme

JRPfeff
Can't you just settle for America's Sheriff?

You are correct! We do have "America's Team" AND "America's Sheriff", our beloved Sheriff, Joe Arpiao!

Definitely agree about Sheriff Joe!

Speaking as an expert, having been in the graphic arts and printing business during the era when that phony "National Guard" letter that got Dan Rather fired was purportedly written I knew upon first sight that the damn thing was a fake because it was kerned and used superscript - a technology that did not then exist in typewriters.

And now Joe is looking into another document that I saw as a fake the first time I looked at it.  Anyone can do this in their home office:  take something written on green security paper (like a cancelled check) and - take your pick or try all three - scan, copy, and/or take a digital photo of the original.  With any process does the security background drop out and leave 'white shadow" around the writing?  No, it does not.  The technology necessary to produce that document simply did not exist in 1961.  In fact, the document does not even exist in paper form; it is only digital - again, technology that did not exist in 1961.  God Bless Sheriff Joe for having the cajonies to call them on it!

Remember when the Soviets thought they were pulling a "slick one" by having selected individuals "disappear" from photographs?  The "document in question" is just an updated attempt at that same sorry scam - an attempt to re-write history.  For all I know the original document was simply lost, but putting that obvious fake forward is like urinating on my shoe and telling me it's raining.

Sheriff Joe's experts agree with this one, yours truly.
post edited by MetroplexJim - 2012/03/05 07:55:10
MetroplexJim
Filet Mignon
Re:"Hey Batter Batter, Sah WING Batter" Baseball 2012 2012/03/08 07:13:46 (permalink)
Yu Darvish looks like he is "for real"!  The $$$ they spent for him was more wisely spent than if they had made the mistake of trying to retain C.J. Wilson.  Let him run out of gas on the Angel's dime.
JRPfeff
Filet Mignon
  • Total Posts : 2720
Re:"Hey Batter Batter, Sah WING Batter" Baseball 2012 2012/03/10 11:37:20 (permalink)
Two words I hate to hear: SPLIT SQUAD.

I wonder who I'll see playing in Maryvale today.
MetroplexJim
Filet Mignon
Re:"Hey Batter Batter, Sah WING Batter" Baseball 2012 2012/03/10 14:26:31 (permalink)
JRPfeff

Well, we do know Prince Fielder won't be.  And I'm not being sarcastic; I feel for you.  I quit following the Pirates when they let Barry Bonds go.  Cheap bastards!

The five biggest markets in descending order are:  NYC, LA, Chicago, DFW, & Philly.  Now check the standings and the signings.  It's total B.$.

DFW's metro area is more than twice the size of Milwaukee's and Pittsburgh's combined!  And the Rangers are owned by two multi-billionaires who are content to remain quietly behind the estimable and esteemed Nolan Ryan.  What chance do the Pirates or Brewers have against that?

Baseball had better forget this "luxury tax" crap and go to an NFL model before the goose is cooked.  The "golden eggs" are already being enjoyed by just a few.
Foodbme
Porterhouse
Re:"Hey Batter Batter, Sah WING Batter" Baseball 2012 2012/03/10 14:38:35 (permalink)
MetroplexJim
JRPfeff

Well, we do know Prince Fielder won't be.  And I'm not being sarcastic; I feel for you.  I quit following the Pirates when they let Barry Bonds go.  Cheap bastards!
The five biggest markets in descending order are:  NYC, LA, Chicago, DFW, & Philly.  Now check the standings and the signings.  It's total B.$.
DFW's metro area is more than twice the size of Milwaukee's and Pittsburgh's combined!  And the Rangers are owned by two multi-billionaires who are content to remain quietly behind the estimable and esteemed Nolan Ryan.  What chance do the Pirates or Brewers have against that?
Baseball had better forget this "luxury tax" crap and go to an NFL model before the goose is cooked.  The "golden eggs" are already being enjoyed by just a few.

Now, why don't you tell us how you really feel?
MetroplexJim
Filet Mignon
Re:"Hey Batter Batter, Sah WING Batter" Baseball 2012 2012/03/10 15:52:34 (permalink)
Foodbme

MetroplexJim
JRPfeff

Now, why don't you tell us how you really feel?

I will. 

The Buccos should have ditched Van Slyke and signed Bonds. 

I'm bitter.  Sue me!
JRPfeff
Filet Mignon
Re:"Hey Batter Batter, Sah WING Batter" Baseball 2012 2012/03/10 19:37:51 (permalink)

I accomplished a couple of dreams today.  First, I "caught" a major league foul ball. Second, I gave the ball away to a young fan.

Things didn't happen exactly how I envisioned them, with me leaping over the crowd to make a fingertip catch of a screaming liner.  Instead, during the second inning of the Cubs-Brewers game I was cracking a peanut when the fans around me jumped up in response to a liner off the bat of a Brewers player.  I never even looked up as the ball absolutely drilled the guy in front of me in the ribs.  I then felt something gently fall into my lap, reached down and found the baseball.  After showing the ball to my buddy, he said I had to show it to the crowd, this was 10 or 15 seconds after I had "caught" the ball.  So I rose and held to ball high over my head to raucous applause from the fans.  Someone mumbled that I should give the ball to the guy who got drilled, but ain't the way the game is played.

Next was to find a young fan who would appreciate the ball more than I would.  You can see him in the above photo to the right of the ball in the blue Brewers cap.  A few innings later as several people left their seats, I went down three rows and asked the boy's mother if I could give him the ball.  He was extremely excited and couldn't wait for his dad to return to show him the ball.  Later his grandpa took him near the Brewers dugout for autographs.  I never got a foul ball when I was a kid and vowed to never keep a ball if a youngster was present that wanted one.

The fellow that was drilled is in the photo below to the left of my arm.  To make matters worse for this couple, I spilled beer on his wife a couple innings later.

post edited by JRPfeff - 2012/03/10 19:42:21
ScreamingChicken
Sirloin
  • Total Posts : 5158
Re:"Hey Batter Batter, Sah WING Batter" Baseball 2012 2012/03/10 22:41:48 (permalink)
That was a nice gesture but spring training doesn't count.

We were at a game once and a foul ball came over our heads, bounced back, and landed between the seat and the back of the woman sitting in front of us.  I'm convinced that the vast majority don't wind up in the hands of the first ones to touch them.

Are Maryvale's sausage products imported from Milwaukee?
JRPfeff
Filet Mignon
Re:"Hey Batter Batter, Sah WING Batter" Baseball 2012 2012/03/10 23:23:10 (permalink)
I had a Klement's brat.  No Secret Stadium Sauce.
Foodbme
Porterhouse
Re:"Hey Batter Batter, Sah WING Batter" Baseball 2012 2012/03/10 23:40:05 (permalink)
Nice Goin' Jim!!
I'm Proud of Ya!
AND YES IT DOES COUNT ScreamingChicken.
It's a Major League Ball, hit by a Major League Player in a Major League Affiliated Stadium. Jim spent his hard earned money on a ticket and a brat and I'm assuming a brewski or three that is going to help pay the ridiculous salary of a major league player who hit the ball. Damn straight it counts! 
Way to go Jimbo!
MetroplexJim
Filet Mignon
Re:"Hey Batter Batter, Sah WING Batter" Baseball 2012 2012/03/13 19:34:27 (permalink)
Was watching "Clubhouse Confidential" on the MLB Channel the other day (a fantastic show, BTW) and they were using their sabremetrics to chase out who were the best "clutch hitters" in MLB.  And the winner by a large margin was Josh Hamilton

Before Hamilton I had not prayed for a ballplayer since, through tears, I prayed in vain 01/01/1973.  Few outside DFW know that for most of last season this man-child was in pain from abdominal tears every time he swung the bat.  He is The Natural; I pray for his redemption.  Who knows what might have been had he been "clean". 

If he stays clean and away from unyielding outfield walls this year he will finally reach what is left of his potential.
JRPfeff
Filet Mignon
Re:"Hey Batter Batter, Sah WING Batter" Baseball 2012 2012/03/24 21:38:09 (permalink)
I had great seats at Maryvale Park today, once we cleared the autograph seeking riffraff away from the front row.

One downside was close-up viewing of Eddie Sedar's backside for half the game, but not bad for $16.  Coach Sedar brought a bunch of balls to hand out to the kids in the section.  So many balls that when an umpire tried to find a kid who hadn't received a ball, he had to move to the next section.

One highlight was witnessing dugout shenanigans up close.  Non-roster #88 had a cup bubble gummed to his hat for an inning.  He didn't notice it until he started running to the bullpen.  Then he angrily threw it in the dirt.

Someday, that cup may be in the Hall of Fame.

CajunKing
Sirloin
  • Total Posts : 6460
Re:"Hey Batter Batter, Sah WING Batter" Baseball 2012 2012/03/27 10:54:49 (permalink)
ah the smell of fertilizer and freshly mown grass. 

There are two feelings/smells in the world that can not be beaten.

#1 Walking into Fenway Park, seeing the green monster live and in person, smelling the 100 yr old stadium (or is that stale beer).

#2 (and my personal favorite)  Approaching that bright red marquee, walking through the gates at wrigley and seeing the ivy covered walls (ok so the ivy doesnt change color until june)

My last trip to Fenway, I got one of those famous support post seats, had to lean to my left or right to get a clear view of the field, but the history and traditions well made up for it.

I love baseball season !!!!!!

I even love Cincinnati's opening day parade, you know it's baseball season when the city takes an official holiday for the parade and opening day.
leethebard
Sirloin
  • Total Posts : 6315
Re:"Hey Batter Batter, Sah WING Batter" Baseball 2012 2012/03/27 14:42:37 (permalink)
Yep, Fenway Park: The only nice thing about the Sox!!!
MetroplexJim
Filet Mignon
Re:"Hey Batter Batter, Sah WING Batter" Baseball 2012 2012/03/27 19:26:28 (permalink)
Yes, I'll never forget the sights and smells of entering Forbes Field.  The literal novelty of Three Rivers wore off very quickly.  Bless the Orioles for building Camden Yards (and HOK for designing it), thus starting the trend of "new" traditional ballyards.

Correct me if I am wrong, but I think only the Cards and the A's are still playing in those ghastly "multi-purpose" stadia.  The Cards need a new park and the A's a new city with a new park.  As beautifully as it sits in its dramatic setting, even Chavez Ravine could be improved by a field remodel that would add some asymmetry.
Foodbme
Porterhouse
Re:"Hey Batter Batter, Sah WING Batter" Baseball 2012 2012/03/27 19:37:17 (permalink)
MetroplexJim
Yes, I'll never forget the sights and smells of entering Forbes Field. 

And EVERY seat guaranteed to be right behind a steel girder!!
Didn't matter if it was a Pirates or Stillers Game!!
And a trip to Islay's after the game!
MetroplexJim
Filet Mignon
Re:"Hey Batter Batter, Sah WING Batter" Baseball 2012 2012/03/28 07:59:25 (permalink)
Foodbme

MetroplexJim
Yes, I'll never forget the sights and smells of entering Forbes Field. 

And a trip to Islay's after the game!

Yes, I was too young to meet Bob Prince at "The Clock".  The Gunner loved his libations.
MetroplexJim
Filet Mignon
Re:"Hey Batter Batter, Sah WING Batter" Baseball 2012 2012/03/28 08:30:17 (permalink)
$TWO Billion for the Dodgers!  The owner's ex-wife and her lawyers are going to be very happy!

Fronted by Nolan Ryan, two low-key multi-billionaires bought the Rangers for $593 million which seemed to be a fair market price in 2010.  So, it is hard to see the "wisdom" of $2,000,000,000.00 for the Dodgers in 2012.

We'll see.

Steinbrenner bought the Yankees in 1973 from CBS for a for net $8.8 million.  That was thought to be a "bargain" even then.

Jerry Jones was thought a fool for paying $140 million for the Cowboys in 1989.  He's laughing now.

Little Danny Snyder paid $800 million in borrowed money to buy the Redskins (and their stadium).  He has done more than just 'alright'.

ScreamingChicken
Sirloin
Re:"Hey Batter Batter, Sah WING Batter" Baseball 2012 2012/03/28 08:35:44 (permalink)
MetroplexJim

Correct me if I am wrong, but I think only the Cards and the A's are still playing in those ghastly "multi-purpose" stadia.  The Cards need a new park and the A's a new city with a new park.

Busch Stadium opened in 2006; this will be its 7th season in operation.  Wow...seems like it opened just 3-4 years ago!
The Travelin Man
Filet Mignon
  • Total Posts : 3759
Re:"Hey Batter Batter, Sah WING Batter" Baseball 2012 2012/03/28 09:54:52 (permalink)
MetroplexJim
Correct me if I am wrong, but I think only the Cards and the A's are still playing in those ghastly "multi-purpose" stadia.  The Cards need a new park and the A's a new city with a new park.  

As Screaming Chicken pointed out, the Cards play in a new state-of-the-art stadium that sits on the lot adjacent to the former Busch Stadium. I saw a game in "old' Busch in 2005 and saw the construction on the new building first-hand. You would never have believed that they could fit the new stadium on the construction footprint, based on where the old stadium was and where the interstate is. I guess that's why they hire people smarter than me to make those things happen - because, obviously, it fits.

As for the "ghastly multi-purpose" stadium issue, are you referring to the set of cookie-cutter ballparks all built in the early 70's (Riverfront, Three Rivers, Veterans) or just the idea that both football and baseball teams play(ed) there? When most people refer to the ghastliness of the multi-purpose stadiums, they refer to the three cookie-cutters mentioned above - the total lack of character, AstroTurf surfaces, etc. giving people the idea that they could be in any one of those three and not be able to tell the difference - lest they be able to identify the teams on the field. Oakland's coliseum was built in 1966 - about the same time as Fulton County Stadium in Atlanta, Anaheim Stadium, and the former Busch in St. Louis. These stadiums did host both baseball and football teams, they didn't usually have the term "cookie-cutter" attached to them. You could make an argument that while the Kansas City stadium never had both football and baseball tenants, it was designed at around the same time as those cookie-cutter ballparks. However, KC has invested considerable money in renovating Kaufman Stadium, and you would never now confuse it with the cookie-cutter nature of those other 70's era ballparks. In fact, I would say it is one of my favorite ballparks in the bigs. 

Last on this subject....you could make a case that Toronto is or wants to be the next of the multi-purpose facilities. Toronto has been hosting an annual home game for the Buffalo Bills at the Rogers Centre for a few years now, in hopes of landing an NFL franchise.
MetroplexJim

$TWO Billion for the Dodgers!  The owner's ex-wife and her lawyers are going to be very happy!

Fronted by Nolan Ryan, two low-key multi-billionaires bought the Rangers for $593 million which seemed to be a fair market price in 2010.  So, it is hard to see the "wisdom" of $2,000,000,000.00 for the Dodgers in 2012.

We'll see.

Steinbrenner bought the Yankees in 1973 from CBS for a for net $8.8 million.  That was thought to be a "bargain" even then.

Jerry Jones was thought a fool for paying $140 million for the Cowboys in 1989.  He's laughing now.

Little Danny Snyder paid $800 million in borrowed money to buy the Redskins (and their stadium).  He has done more than just 'alright'.

You are comparing a lot of apples to a lot of oranges there. This deal is really like no other team sale that has ever been completed. One of the things that the group purchasing "the Dodgers" is really buying is the right to negotiate their next local television contract. They are going to get immediate cash relief on their purchase price - most likely in the form of starting their own TV network, like the Yankees with YES. I read somewhere that YES generates as much profit as every other component of the Yankees' organization COMBINED. I know that SNY is the leading money-maker for the Mets, as well. This is the direction that baseball is heading - owning your own television network in a major market. LA is a major market - second largest in the country - with a rabid fan, loyal, and high $$ earning fan base.  I have a friend who tried to buy the Dodgers when the O'Malleys sold to Ruppert Murdoch in 1998. When I last spoke with him, he told me that the price that would likely be paid for the Dodgers this time around would likely be a bargain.

Football teams have local radio deals, but no local television outlets - otherwise the Giants would have the same revenue sources as the Yankees and the Packers would be the football equivalent of the Minnesota Twins/Oakland A's - trying to win every sixth or seventh year on a shoestring budget.
MetroplexJim
Filet Mignon
Re:"Hey Batter Batter, Sah WING Batter" Baseball 2012 2012/03/28 12:01:24 (permalink)
Yes, I was referring to the "cookie cutter" stadia.  Part of their relentless lack of charm as baseball venues were their symmetric outfields.  Nooks, crannies, and wierdness are part of the charm of baseball:  the Green Monster, Detroit's "in play" flagpole, the batting cage by the 457' mark in Forbes' left-center, the terraced warning track at Crosley, etc.  So, kudos for HOK's Oriole design which incorporated Eutaw St. & the Warehouse.

I'm not saying $2B is "too much" for the franchise, Dodger Stadium, & TV in the nation's 2nd. biggest market.  I'm just saying "WOW"!
buffetbuster
Porterhouse
  • Total Posts : 10425
Re:"Hey Batter Batter, Sah WING Batter" Baseball 2012 2012/03/28 12:49:08 (permalink)
JRPfeff-
Great photos!  You look like you are having a wonderful time at the games.  Obviously, Arizona is starting to grow on you!  And congratulations on the foul ball, especially for making that kid's day by giving the ball away.

I had never caught a foul ball until late 2005, when I got one off the bat of a Mets player at a Florida Marlins game.  I went to two more Pirates games that year and got balls at both of those games, too.  What a hot streak!  Of course, those games were all so poorly attended, I probably could have had a half dozen balls if I had wanted to.
buffetbuster
Porterhouse
  • Total Posts : 10425
Re:"Hey Batter Batter, Sah WING Batter" Baseball 2012 2012/03/28 12:51:54 (permalink)
I have a bit of a dilemma this year.  My second favorite team has long been the Detroit Tigers.  But, over the off season, they signed Prince Fielder, by far my most disliked MLB player.  That is going to make rooting for the Tigers very difficult.  Maybe, I can root for everyone else and just hope to see him strikeout everytime.
ScreamingChicken
Sirloin
Re:"Hey Batter Batter, Sah WING Batter" Baseball 2012 2012/03/29 10:23:55 (permalink)
MetroplexJim

A's fans:  if Cespedes pans out, they'll make a new movie about Billy Beane.  I think the Marlins really blew it both about that and also paying so much for a fragile hotdog to play SS for them.

I see where Cespedes went yard yesterday, in his 2nd MLB game...
The Travelin Man
Filet Mignon
  • Total Posts : 3759
Re:"Hey Batter Batter, Sah WING Batter" Baseball 2012 2012/03/29 12:23:52 (permalink)
I am not sure how Reyes got the "fragile" tag. He has only had one season since he became a major league starter where he did not have enough plate appearances to qualify for the batting title.
MetroplexJim
Filet Mignon
Re:"Hey Batter Batter, Sah WING Batter" Baseball 2012 2012/03/29 14:15:43 (permalink)
The Travelin Man

I am not sure how Reyes got the "fragile" tag. He has only had one season since he became a major league starter where he did not have enough plate appearances to qualify for the batting title.

Whatever.  That was still a ton of $$$ for a hotdog.

I still cannot understand why they didn't get Cespedes.  Talk about a "marketing" bonanza and a natural fit.
ScreamingChicken
Sirloin
Re:"Hey Batter Batter, Sah WING Batter" Baseball 2012 2012/03/29 14:17:42 (permalink)
Probably because in the past 3 seasons he's played 36, 133, and 126 games while in the previous 4 the fewest games he played was 153 in 2006.  It seems like over the past 2 years he's always been battling some kind of nagging injury.

I remember Paul Molitor being considered "injury-prone" because of the 4-season stretch where the most he played in a single season was 140 games.
saps
Double Chili Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 1563
Re:"Hey Batter Batter, Sah WING Batter" Baseball 2012 2012/03/29 14:23:31 (permalink)
In his first two seasons, he missed a lot of time with ankle and back injuries.  He then had 4 seasons where he didn't miss any substantial time, then a calf injury limited him to 36 games in '09.  IN 2010 he missed time with a thyroid problem, and then missed time in 2011 with a hamstring problem.  So he does have an injury history, but I think that calling him "fragile" is a little overblown.
MetroplexJim
Filet Mignon
Re:"Hey Batter Batter, Sah WING Batter" Baseball 2012 2012/03/29 14:31:15 (permalink)
saps

In his first two seasons, he missed a lot of time with ankle and back injuries.  He then had 4 seasons where he didn't miss any substantial time, then a calf injury limited him to 36 games in '09.  IN 2010 he missed time with a thyroid problem, and then missed time in 2011 with a hamstring problem.  So he does have an injury history, but I think that calling him "fragile" is a little overblown.

You've convinced me:  he is not a "fragile hotdog". 

Would "oft-wounded weenie" be more accurate?

Page: < 12345.. > >> Showing page 4 of 8
Jump to:
© 2014 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1