The most memorable local eateries along the highways and back roads of America
Sign In | Register for Free!
Restaurants Recipes Forums EatingTours Merchandise FAQ Maps Insider
Forum Themes:
Welcome !

"ICE CREAM MAN!!!" Remember when? Favorites?

Change Page: 123 > | Showing page 1 of 3, messages 1 to 30 of 82
txtwister

• Total Posts: 259
"ICE CREAM MAN!!!" Remember when? Favorites? Wed, 06/1/05 1:49 PM (permalink)
To this day, I hear that peculiar tinny music and somewhere deep in my heart, I think "Ice cream man!!!!" and a part of me wants to sprint toward the sound. C'mon, you KNOW I'm not alone here.

So, what were your favorites? What'd you save your quarters for?

In no particular order:
Strawberry Shortcake
Toasted Almond
Push Ups

And on those days when I only had spare change scrounged from Mom's car seats... cherry Italian ice.

Phishmonger

• Total Posts: 217
    RE: "ICE CREAM MAN!!!" Remember when? Favorites? Wed, 06/1/05 1:58 PM (permalink)
    Toasted Almond Good Humor Bar, by a landslide!!!

Salustra

• Total Posts: 510
      RE: "ICE CREAM MAN!!!" Remember when? Favorites? Wed, 06/1/05 2:01 PM (permalink)
      Big Sticks, Push Ups and Drumsticks (oh, and 50-50 bars)

I miss the "old" ice cream truck jingle. It reminded me of circus music. For years now, the trucks have played the theme from "The Sting".

varelas

• Total Posts: 118
        RE: "ICE CREAM MAN!!!" Remember when? Favorites? Wed, 06/1/05 2:13 PM (permalink)
        When I was a kid the ice cream truck had soft serve ice cream. Most of the time we would get some because my Father loved his ice cream. We lived in an apartment and all the kids would yell"Mom or Dad " and they would throw down the money. What a happy time....

tsores

• Total Posts: 653
          RE: "ICE CREAM MAN!!!" Remember when? Favorites? Wed, 06/1/05 2:14 PM (permalink)
          Orange push up until I developed the sophisticated urge for chocolate eclair bars that has lasted for the duration.

txtwister

RE: "ICE CREAM MAN!!!" Remember when? Favorites? Wed, 06/1/05 2:18 PM (permalink)
            Varelas, my husband has a similar experience - he lived in NYC, and his mom on the fifth floor would throw down a couple of dollars, fastened in a clothes pin. (Wow, my NDS - "noun deficiency syndrome" - had me floundering to remember "clothes-pin" - I was doing the "okay, it's that wooden thing people used to put laundry on a laundry line, with a spring..." thing. Sure hope I'm not alone in that fun little symptom of the aging process.)

Lucky Bishop

• Total Posts: 1049
              RE: "ICE CREAM MAN!!!" Remember when? Favorites? Wed, 06/1/05 2:24 PM (permalink)
              Whadaya mean "remember when"? There's a Mr. Frosty truck parked on the corner right this second! (For the record, it usually plays "Turkey in the Straw.") I don't have any shoes on, or I'd pop down and get my usual, a soft-serve twist cone.

txtwister

RE: "ICE CREAM MAN!!!" Remember when? Favorites? Wed, 06/1/05 2:30 PM (permalink)
                I sense a Dairy Queen soft-serve stop in my future. (Which, btw, breaks all rules of "butterfat content" - I'm not sure there even IS any butterfat. But it's how summer tastes, to me.)

Tony Bad

RE: "ICE CREAM MAN!!!" Remember when? Favorites? Wed, 06/1/05 2:51 PM (permalink)
                  quote:
                  Originally posted by Phishmonger

Toasted Almond Good Humor Bar, by a landslide!!!

I recently bought a box of these in the frozen food section of the grocery store. They were not good. They were also my favorite when I was a kid.

Charity

• Total Posts: 55
                    RE: "ICE CREAM MAN!!!" Remember when? Favorites? Wed, 06/1/05 3:09 PM (permalink)
                    quote:
                    Originally posted by Lucky Bishop

Whadaya mean "remember when"? There's a Mr. Frosty truck parked on the corner right this second! (For the record, it usually plays "Turkey in the Straw.")

Actually, as Salustra noted earlier in the thread, it plays "The Entertainer." Our pug also loves that tune - she often gets a small cup of vanilla as a treat.

I do miss the old trucks that sold novelties - I too was a fan of the "sophisticated" chocolate eclair, strawberry shortcake, and the rare-in-Allston, MA toasted almond. (Our novelties were Hood, not Good Humor.)

What was the sherbert-y orange thing on a plastic handle/base that had a flat molded figure frozen inside the treat - revealed as you ate it and "collectible"? Buried Treasure, maybe? It seems to me we had that a lot. I also liked Fudgesicles (although what I *really* miss in that style didn't come from an ice cream truck - the Haagen-Dasz "fudgesicle" that they made some years back was the Platonic ideal of such treats.)

Rusty246

• Total Posts: 2413
                      RE: "ICE CREAM MAN!!!" Remember when? Favorites? Wed, 06/1/05 3:37 PM (permalink)
                      We still have an ice cream lady in our little town too. She has a schedule posted on her truck so you'll know when she'll be where(not that you can't hear her 5 miles away). My favorite was the Dreamsicle! Push ups were second, Screwballs was third.

Michael Hoffman

• Total Posts: 17850
                        RE: "ICE CREAM MAN!!!" Remember when? Favorites? Wed, 06/1/05 3:55 PM (permalink)
                        My favorite was what we called a Chocolate Stick. That was chocolate-covered chocolate ice cream on a stick. The substitute, if the Good Humor man was out of chocolate sticks was a Vanilla Stick. I detested Toasted Almond sticks.

Lucky Bishop

• Total Posts: 1049
                          RE: "ICE CREAM MAN!!!" Remember when? Favorites? Wed, 06/1/05 3:57 PM (permalink)
                          quote:
                          Originally posted by Charity

quote:
                          Originally posted by Lucky Bishop

Whadaya mean "remember when"? There's a Mr. Frosty truck parked on the corner right this second! (For the record, it usually plays "Turkey in the Straw.")

Actually, as Salustra noted earlier in the thread, it plays "The Entertainer." Our pug also loves that tune - she often gets a small cup of vanilla as a treat.

I do miss the old trucks that sold novelties - I too was a fan of the "sophisticated" chocolate eclair, strawberry shortcake, and the rare-in-Allston, MA toasted almond. (Our novelties were Hood, not Good Humor.)

It's true, it's a very weird experience watching our pug as soon as she hears the ice cream truck. (And while it does play "The Entertainer" sometimes, I'm positive it also plays "Turkey in the Straw," or maybe we get two trucks in the neighborhood, I dunno.) She starts making this weird strangulated yelp and sort of twitching. It's entirely unlike her usual "There's the postman! GET HIM!" or "Hey you! Stop picking the aluminum cans out of our recycling bin!" barks, which are accompanied by frenzied spins around the room and five-times-her-height leaps to and from the windowsill.

The soft serve trucks do carry novelties now, but I almost never get them. They're kinda spendy, for one thing (a Drumstick is something like $3, whereas my beloved twist cone is only a buck twenty-five!) and frankly, a lot of 'em look kinda nasty. I don't wanna eat Dora the Explorer's head!

Now that I think about it, my novelty of choice as a kind was the Bomb Pop, which was rocket-shaped ice milk that was chocolate at the top and bottom and banana in the middle. I'm sure I would find it completely disgusting now, as I've grown to hate banana-flavored anything.

Tony Bad

RE: "ICE CREAM MAN!!!" Remember when? Favorites? Wed, 06/1/05 4:07 PM (permalink)
                            quote:
                            I don't wanna eat Dora the Explorer's head!

I never thought of that when I saw these advertised on my local ice cream truck...now I will think of nothing else! Thanks for the laugh!!

ocdreamr

• Total Posts: 1109
                              RE: "ICE CREAM MAN!!!" Remember when? Favorites? Wed, 06/1/05 5:17 PM (permalink)
                              Okay, now I date myself.... The ice cream trucks(good humor, only) of my youth did not play music, they had a row of little silver bells, hung about where the rear view mirror would be. The driver would pull a string to annouce his presence! Choices were pretty basic & I liked a good old double stick popsicle, vanilla if you please.

jerseygirl127

• Total Posts: 454
                                RE: "ICE CREAM MAN!!!" Remember when? Favorites? Wed, 06/1/05 5:56 PM (permalink)
                                majorly dating myself here-- i can remember being outside and being able to hear that "MR. SOFTY" music from a mile away... we'd always ask my father if we could get some and he'd always ask us if we thought we'd worked hard enough that day..( we were about 9-10 yrs old-- didn't really do 'work' he just liked to ask...) then he'd give us money...
                                don't remember specifically what i'd get just knew that it was good....:)

as far as good humor-- my ultimate favorite is 'toasted almond' and i can't find them anymore :( makes me sad...

good topic!!! :)

~~ jerseygirl127~~

tiki

• Total Posts: 4135
                                  RE: "ICE CREAM MAN!!!" Remember when? Favorites? Wed, 06/1/05 6:12 PM (permalink)
                                  I was always an ice cream sandwich guy myself!( In Calif they have It's Its on the truck!)---and i too remember the bells!!! and they were WAY better then the aweful noise that comes out of the truck inn Muscogee!

Mosca

• Total Posts: 2936
                                    RE: "ICE CREAM MAN!!!" Remember when? Favorites? Wed, 06/1/05 7:34 PM (permalink)
                                    I was a Good Humor Man for 6 years, 1981 through 1986. I owned my truck and I had the bells. You couldn't get the bells anymore by then, so if you lost a clapper or a bell came off the rod and fell by the wayside you were out of luck. That's when guys started going with the music boxes. The bells were harmonious, by the way, they rang a 5 note C chord.

In 84 or so they came up with swirled desserts that only lasted about half a season; pints of Cherry Chocolate, Peach Melba, and two other flavors. Those were great. They also had 3 flavors of Cookie Sandwiches one year; in addition to the choc chip/vanilla, they had chocolate cookie & mint ice cream, and peanut butter cookie/peanut butter ice cream. And the candy centers; chocolate fudge cake and chip candy crunch. And the coconut flake, white coconut over vanilla ice cream.

The ices; orange/raspberry swirl, and grape/lemon swirl. The best was when you got one that melted a little and then refroze; the bottom was sticky and SUPER flavorful!

The best ice pop was the raspberry blast, all the way. Great natural raspberry flavor.

Back then Good Humor was independently owned, and manufactured their own ice cream. The ices were all natural flavor, the ice cream was sweet but also good ingredients. Then they got bought by Jack & Jill, and now I think they're Gold Bond; but the products aren't the same.

Tom

dctourist

• Total Posts: 325
                                      RE: "ICE CREAM MAN!!!" Remember when? Favorites? Wed, 06/1/05 8:35 PM (permalink)
                                      I'm pretty sure we used to get Italian ices from the ice cream trucks in MA and NH, either cherry or lemon. If not that, I'd get a Nutty Buddy or a Hoodsie or a creamsicle or a popsicle - root beer flavor!

Tony Bad

RE: "ICE CREAM MAN!!!" Remember when? Favorites? Wed, 06/1/05 9:00 PM (permalink)
                                        quote:
                                        Originally posted by jerseygirl127

majorly dating myself here-- i can remember being outside and being able to hear that "MR. SOFTY" music from a mile away

You aren't dating yourself...I hear that music outside my house almost every day in the summer! I also have the jingle on my computer...it plays when I get mail...much better than that "you've got mail" voice.

Here is a link to the file...

http://www.mistersoftee.com/softee_final.wav

Mosca

RE: "ICE CREAM MAN!!!" Remember when? Favorites? Wed, 06/1/05 9:22 PM (permalink)
                                          I got a 4-pack from Sam's club a couple weeks ago; King Cones, Vanilla Bars, Fudge Bars, and Sandwiches. They are definitely not the same. The ice cream is "airy" and has no creamy taste.

Tom

chanfu

• Total Posts: 1
                                            RE: "ICE CREAM MAN!!!" Remember when? Favorites? Sun, 06/5/05 11:25 PM (permalink)
                                            The ice cream trucks in Omaha use plain bells that ring in a "ding-ding!" pattern, exactly like they did when I was a kid. That sound makes me smile whenever I hear it.

I was a fan of Fudgesicles and bomb pops when I was a kid.

webean

• Total Posts: 42
                                              RE: "ICE CREAM MAN!!!" Remember when? Favorites? Sun, 06/5/05 11:33 PM (permalink)

At the risk of dating myself....When I was a kid in Pennsauken NJ we had an ice cream man who came around in a horse drawn wagon. He made waffles and served them with a slice of ice cream in between two square waffles.
                                              Usually the waffles were very warm and you had to eat the sandwich quickly before the ice cream melted.

chicagostyledog

• Total Posts: 3219
                                                • Location: Hot Dog University Chicago, IL
                                                RE: "ICE CREAM MAN!!!" Remember when? Favorites? Tue, 06/7/05 7:22 PM (permalink)
                                                I too remember the waffle man, along with the knife sharpener, the ice man(we had an ice box before a refrigerator), the coal man, and the rag peddler with his horse drawn cart(my grandfather). Ice cream was sold in square pints, similar to Walgreen's ice cream today. Bressler's was a popular Chicago ice cream company and Buffalo's on Irving Park & Pulaski was a great north side ice cream parlor. I always wanted to see the Good Humor Man take on Little Oscar(from the Wienermobile) in the wrestling match.

KimChee43

• Total Posts: 382
                                                  RE: "ICE CREAM MAN!!!" Remember when? Favorites? Tue, 06/7/05 7:36 PM (permalink)
                                                  Yes, I remember those square pints of ice cream. They were sold at the mom & pop store near my house. This store carried Borden Ice Cream. Does Borden even make ice cream any more? The only Borden products I see nowadays are individually-wrapped American cheese slices. We used to be able to buy Borden milk at one time, but I haven't seen it in ages.

My favorite ice cream truck treat...7-UP Popsicles.

chicagostyledog

• Total Posts: 3219
                                                    • Location: Hot Dog University Chicago, IL
                                                    RE: "ICE CREAM MAN!!!" Remember when? Favorites? Tue, 06/7/05 11:00 PM (permalink)
                                                    I remember Borden's Milk and Elsie the Cow. They're still around: www.bordenonline.com We used to have Kraml Milk delivered to our house.

garryd451

• Total Posts: 699
                                                      RE: "ICE CREAM MAN!!!" Remember when? Favorites? Wed, 06/8/05 12:06 AM (permalink)
                                                      quote:
                                                      Originally posted by Mosca

I was a Good Humor Man for 6 years, 1981 through 1986. I owned my truck and I had the bells. You couldn't get the bells anymore by then, so if you lost a clapper or a bell came off the rod and fell by the wayside you were out of luck. That's when guys started going with the music boxes. The bells were harmonious, by the way, they rang a 5 note C chord.

In 84 or so they came up with swirled desserts that only lasted about half a season; pints of Cherry Chocolate, Peach Melba, and two other flavors. Those were great. They also had 3 flavors of Cookie Sandwiches one year; in addition to the choc chip/vanilla, they had chocolate cookie & mint ice cream, and peanut butter cookie/peanut butter ice cream. And the candy centers; chocolate fudge cake and chip candy crunch. And the coconut flake, white coconut over vanilla ice cream.

The ices; orange/raspberry swirl, and grape/lemon swirl. The best was when you got one that melted a little and then refroze; the bottom was sticky and SUPER flavorful!

The best ice pop was the raspberry blast, all the way. Great natural raspberry flavor.

Back then Good Humor was independently owned, and manufactured their own ice cream. The ices were all natural flavor, the ice cream was sweet but also good ingredients. Then they got bought by Jack & Jill, and now I think they're Gold Bond; but the products aren't the same.

Tom

Below is a post by jinjo76, if you looked at this website, it mentions good humor and other favorites that are now owned by a english company, it is the same company that own's ben and Jerry's!

jinjo76 Posted - 06/01/2005 : 15:15:46
                                                      --------------------------------------------------------------------------------
                                                      I could never decide, and even though every one else would go before me, the ice cream man would have to say something like, "how bout'a _________.", and I would just get what he said. By the way, check this out.

http://www.icecreamusa.com/home/home.asp

jevmass

• Total Posts: 34
                                                        RE: "ICE CREAM MAN!!!" Remember when? Favorites? Wed, 06/8/05 2:15 AM (permalink)
                                                        [img]

[/img]

carlton pierre

• Total Posts: 2500
                                                          • Location: Knoxville, TN
                                                          RE: "ICE CREAM MAN!!!" Remember when? Favorites? Wed, 06/8/05 7:43 PM (permalink)
                                                          quote:
                                                          Originally posted by Tony Bad

quote:
                                                          Originally posted by jerseygirl127

majorly dating myself here-- i can remember being outside and being able to hear that "MR. SOFTY" music from a mile away

You aren't dating yourself...I hear that music outside my house almost every day in the summer! I also have the jingle on my computer...it plays when I get mail...much better than that "you've got mail" voice.

Here is a link to the file...

http://www.mistersoftee.com/softee_final.wav

Wow, I didn't know Mr Softee was still around. We had the Mr Softee truck on a daily basis and then a couple times a week there was a guy on a bicycly powerede ice cream cart that came by as well. I liked the orange push-ups as well. Like many of you haved remarked,
                                                          for me just reading about your experiences brought a smile to me.

Mosca

• Location: Mountain Top, PA
                                                            RE: "ICE CREAM MAN!!!" Remember when? Favorites? Wed, 06/8/05 7:52 PM (permalink)
                                                            Yep, Good Humor is now owned by Unilever. It went to Jack & Jill, then someone else, then the same people who make Klondikes, then Breyer's, now Unilever.

Tom

Online Bookmarks Sharing: Share/Bookmark
                                                              Change Page: 123 > | Showing page 1 of 3, messages 1 to 30 of 82

Jump to:

Current active users

There are 0 members and 1 guests.

Icon Legend and Permission

• New Messages
                                                              • No New Messages
                                                              • Hot Topic w/ New Messages
                                                              • Hot Topic w/o New Messages
                                                              • Locked w/ New Messages
                                                              • Locked w/o New Messages
                                                              • Read Message
                                                              • Post New Thread
                                                              • Reply to message
                                                              • Post New Poll
                                                              • Submit Vote
                                                              • Post reward post
                                                              • Delete my own posts
                                                              • Delete my own threads
                                                              • Rate post

2000-2014 ASPPlayground.NET Forum Version 3.9
                                                              What is Roadfood?  |   Privacy Policy  |   Contact Roadfood.com   Copyright 2011 - Roadfood.com