Hot!"If You Bake It, He Will Come"

Page: < 1234 > Showing page 3 of 4
Author
love2bake
Double Chili Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 1389
Re:"If You Bake It, He Will Come" 2012/07/19 16:23:04 (permalink)
Like easydoesit, this comment struck me: 

"As I continued to eat the slice, it hit me that I should appreciate it for what it was instead of what it isn't."

Not enough people--myself included--do this as much as we should. 

easydoesit
Double Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 514
Re:"If You Bake It, He Will Come" 2012/07/20 07:54:19 (permalink)
buffetbuster

easydoesit-
I remember you starting a thread on Bloedow's once, so obviously you are a fan.  What do you think they make best?  I would love to hear from a local.  My favorites so far have been the peanut butter roll the Sterns mentioned in the review and the maple long johns.

Those are indeed two big sellers, with their maple long john being a real local favorite.  Two other biggies are their raised glazed and raised sugared, both big sellers.  The glazed is on the order of a Krispy Kreme glazed, but about twice as big and, really, a lot better.  Bloedow's (Blay-doughs) really did run a short-lived Kripy Kreme out of town -- it is a local joke.  We were all far too spoiled for those dinky little KK things.

Their danishes are superb, and the cake donuts and muffins too.  Hamburger/hot dog buns and dinner rolls are excellent and always sell out at holidays, so we have to get there early.  The loaves of white bread, though, are rather bland, nothing special.  Cookies are OK, but no need to go out of the way.

Well, I guess I am more than a fan.  The family that owned the place forever had a whole houseful of boys, no girls, and every boy learned the business as they grew up (one of them ultimately took it over, though it's been sold again since then).

I happened to be best friends with the youngest boy, and he, being the baby , was given the one bedroom apartment upstairs to live in.  Boy, did we have parties there!  At 3:00 AM we would hear the machines start up below us, and my friend would describe what was happening, as he spent many formative teenage hours doing the same thing.

But the sad things is...they have NO PIE!  Why not?  I don't know, they never did.  But don't worry, I can pie you up plenty when you are in La Crosse, so that you can last until you get up the river to Stockholm again.
easydoesit
Double Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 514
Re:"If You Bake It, He Will Come" 2012/07/20 08:15:54 (permalink)
Just as a mild side note, there was a thread here recently about a 'chuckwagon' sandwich, and what that sandwich is.  My just-now google search showed the regional variations of both the deep fried beef patty (which sounds delicious!) and also the cold sandwich consisting of several luncheon meats and cheese.

There is  a long-time catering service in Winona, been around forever and with the good reason that they serve great products, and they have installed a cold case in Bloedow's.  Among the soups and potato and macaroni salads, you can always find some of the cold sandwiches labelled chuckwagon.

This service goes back many decades, and I believe that sandwich name has been current here for at least that long.
Louis
Double Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 730
Re:"If You Bake It, He Will Come" 2012/07/20 10:22:36 (permalink)
I visited the Stockholm Pie Company in very late August two years ago.  It was pretty good (I don't remember what I had.  Lemon maybe.)  The photo of the interior is exactly as I remember it; its as if nothing has moved since the morning I was there.

buffetbuster
Porterhouse
  • Total Posts : 10279
Re:"If You Bake It, He Will Come" 2012/07/20 14:06:30 (permalink)
Sunday July 1, 2012 cont.

On our previous visit to Stockholm, WI in 2010, cousin Johnny and I looked for a Roadfood reviewed place called Bogus Creek Cafe, but couldn't find it.  Considering just how small Stockholm is, we decided the restaurant was either no longer there or we needed to get our eyes checked.  This time, I spotted the place as soon as I pulled into town.  The only excuse I can think of is that we had been suffering from a bad case of pie euphoria.  That is a real medical condition, isn't it?

Bogus Creek Cafe

does have inside seating, but when the outdoor seating area look like this,

where to eat is an easy decision.  And this is coming from someone who HATES to eat outdoors.  The building on the left is the cafe, while the building on the right is their bakery.

Bogus Creek is certainly a strange name for a restaurant, but they go into detail about the origin of the name on the menu. 

Of course, that story looks rather bogus to me, too, but maybe that is part of their charm. 

Are you like me, in that you look for certain little indicators early on to see if a restaurant will be good or not?  One of my things is orange juice.  If a place offers fresh squeezed orange juice, especially in an area of the country it is very uncommon, then chances are that the rest of the meal will be high quality.  It is a sign that they care about the little details and getting a lot of the little details right adds up to a good dining experience.  In fact, I don't think I have ever had a bad meal in a restaurant that offers fresh squeezed orange juice.  If you haven't guessed by now, they do have it at Bogus Creek Cafe.  

And when I asked for water, they gave me an entire carafe, which is another big plus.

As soon as I saw that they offer Swedish pancakes with lingonberry sauce,

that became my breakfast choice.  After all, we are in Stockholm!  The pancakes were thin and spongy, in a good way and the berry sauce on top tasted fresh and not too sweet.  The bacon was also perfectly crispy.  Nothing spectacular, but a fine way to start the day.

Still, the best part of Bogus Creek Cafe is the house mascot.  Meet Bogus,

who was a rescue dog.  He greeted me at the hostess stand and kept me company through the first few minutes of my visit.  Eventually, there were other customers to say hello to, but he was happy to return to my table to share some bacon.  BTW, if Bogus looks a little tired, it may be because he has recently become the father of nine pups.  And apparently, this isn't the only litter that will remember him on Father's Day.  But, chances are the real reason he needed to lay down is that he is recovering from a, uh, procedure.  As far as I am concerned, he deserved all the bacon he wants! 

Bogus Creek Cafe
N2049 Spring Street
Stockholm, WI
715-442-5017 

Heading back south along the river, I had to slam on my breaks when I saw this sign. 

No, not that one, this one! 

I quickly turned around to investigate black cap pie.  The strikingly attractive waitress packed up a slice to go and I took it to a scenic overlook on a wide part of the Mississippi River called Lake Pepin.  

Black Cap pie

is a new one to me and is simply fresh blackberries over a cream cheese filling.  At least that is what I was told.  But, isn't there such a thing as black capberries?  Anyway, it was delicious!

From here, I crossed back over into Minnesota, continuing south towards Iowa.

Much more to come.....       
post edited by buffetbuster - 2012/07/20 14:13:24
billyboy
Double Chili Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 2403
Re:"If You Bake It, He Will Come" 2012/07/20 18:13:42 (permalink)
BB, I am loving this report.  Such beautiful scenery and amazing food.  After seeing this most recent pie I just realized that you are the Lewis & Clark of pie!  
JRPfeff
Filet Mignon
  • Total Posts : 2625
Re:"If You Bake It, He Will Come" 2012/07/20 21:04:02 (permalink)
Waitress picture?
BuddyRoadhouse
Filet Mignon
  • Total Posts : 4229
Re:"If You Bake It, He Will Come" 2012/07/21 03:15:43 (permalink)
Second the nomination for the waitress picture.

Buddy
buffetbuster
Porterhouse
Re:"If You Bake It, He Will Come" 2012/07/21 06:11:07 (permalink)
No picture, but what a smile!
JRPfeff
Filet Mignon
Re:"If You Bake It, He Will Come" 2012/07/21 09:04:27 (permalink)
That's understandable.  If there was pie at Roswell, buffetbuster would have missed getting a picture of the little green men.
buffetbuster
Porterhouse
Re:"If You Bake It, He Will Come" 2012/07/24 07:43:26 (permalink)
JRPfeff-
In my own defense, I have been to Roswell before, but never Pie Town, NM.  Besides, considering the name of my hometown, I see little green men all the time!
wanderingjew
Sirloin
  • Total Posts : 7834
Re:"If You Bake It, He Will Come" 2012/07/24 08:29:21 (permalink)
Buffetbuster,

Now what two things do you think caught my attention on the Bogus Creek sign?
tcrouzer
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 431
Re:"If You Bake It, He Will Come" 2012/07/24 08:47:57 (permalink)
Wonderful report, BB! I love the Homemade Cafe sign - it says it all! Never heard of Black Cap pie - looks good. Speaking of chuckwagon steak sandwiches....I recently got one at a local BBQ place, trying to recapture my teenage years...ahhhh...... The sandwich was good, very fresh, as they make them to order, but I should have asked for mayo, lettuce and tomato to really make it the sandwich of my youth. Of course, eating said chuckwagon steak sandwich sitting in a '57 Chevy would have been even more authentic.
Teresa
buffetbuster
Porterhouse
Re:"If You Bake It, He Will Come" 2012/07/24 08:55:41 (permalink)
Sunday July 1, 2012 (cont.)

This was a day with a very heavy schedule of restaurants I wanted to visit, so it was good that the drive down to Decorah, Iowa was a long one.  By the time I arrived in front of Mabe's Pizza, the appetite had fully returned.  The reason for the visit to a pizza joint in Iowa was due to their appearance in the Stern's 500 Things to Eat book and not just to see steam coming out of wanderingjew's ears! 

Mabe's goes back to 1953 and was originally a lunchroom.  They didn't make the switch to a mostly pizza restaurant until 1968.  The stone front building

looks older than that.  I walked in through the front door and the place was so packed, the only open seats I could find was a booth in the corner of the far back dining room.  I was surrounded by large tables of families, most of which were in their Sunday best, after attending church.  And almost all of them were entering and exiting through a back door.  It took about 15 minutes for me to get a server to my table, but after that, the friendly teenage waitress took great care of me.

The menu:   

I was very happy to see that they offer a 6" mini pizza, which is perfect for one person.  Nice variey of pizzas available and I chose the regular, which comes with sausage, pepperoni and cheese.  

The crust is thin, very crispy and slightly burnt.  The toppings were heavy on the sausage and cheese, but light on the pepperoni and a bit on the greasy side.  And I consider all of those things as positives.  I am not a big pizza lover, but this was really good.  To wash it down, some 1919 root beer.

Mabe's Pizza
110 E. Water Street
Decorah, Iowa
563-382-4297

There is also a second location in the town Cresco, Iowa.

Next up was a drive to the town of Gunder (near Elgin, if that helps) to visit a burger place called the Irish Shanti

If there is a town here, I didn't see it, because this is just at the intersection of two roads out in the middle of nowhere.  Irish Shanti has a fairly large menu, but is best known as the home of the Gunderburger. 

This is a colossal 1lb. burger that people drive from miles around to come eat. 

Knowing that the loaded Gunderburger adds another 1/2lb. of toppings (cheese, bacon, lettuce, tomato, grilled onions and grilled mushrooms) to this already immense meal, I went for the simple Cheese Gunderburger. 

The first problem I have with this is it looks like the cheese was just slapped on at the last second.  Not that I need the cheese to be completely melted on top of the burger, but this cheese wasn't even warm.  The burger is made from fresh ground beef, but the flavor just wasn't there.  Maybe I should have gone for some of the onions and mushrooms, because this burger was too plain for me.  On the side was some cheese curds

and although not very squeaky, what's not too like about deep fried cheese?

You know how some places just grab you and others don't?  This place didn't for me.  The service was fine.  The atmosphere (most of the interior was decorated in Irish or Boston sports memorabilia) was okay. 

Maybe I was expecting more.  Has anyone else been here?  I would love to know what others think about this place.

Irish Shanti
17455 Gunder Road
Elgin, IA
563-864-9289

Unfortunately for my appetite, there was another food stop just a short distance away.

Much more to come.....           
post edited by buffetbuster - 2012/07/24 09:05:49
buffetbuster
Porterhouse
Re:"If You Bake It, He Will Come" 2012/07/24 09:07:46 (permalink)
wanderingjew

Buffetbuster,

You like colorful rectangles?  No doubt, you would have gotten coffee or ice cream.  Would you have tried both?

wanderingjew
Sirloin
Re:"If You Bake It, He Will Come" 2012/07/24 09:37:29 (permalink)
buffetbuster

wanderingjew

Buffetbuster,

You like colorful rectangles?  No doubt, you would have gotten coffee or ice cream.  Would you have tried both?

The colorful rectangles are a given- Not only would I have tried both, but they should add beer (craft beer of course) to make it the perfect trifecta...
The Travelin Man
Filet Mignon
  • Total Posts : 3755
Re:"If You Bake It, He Will Come" 2012/07/24 12:06:14 (permalink)
The first thing I would have noticed was that the sign said OPEN. I am not used to seeing that.
trzhotel
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 142
Re:"If You Bake It, He Will Come" 2012/07/24 14:56:52 (permalink)
I've eaten the Loaded Gunderburger before and found all the toppings grilled about how you expect in a small town bar. I have a photo I can dig up. Its in a nice hill country and locals regularly drive 40 miles for a good meal in this part of Iowa.
drummagick
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 171
Re:"If You Bake It, He Will Come" 2012/07/24 16:27:24 (permalink)
buffetbuster

*fresh blackberries over a cream cheese filling.  At least that is what I was told.  But, isn't there such a thing as black capberries?  Anyway, it was delicious!

Black caps, at least where I hail from in Western Washington, are small wild black raspberries. ;)
ChiTownDiner
Filet Mignon
  • Total Posts : 2941
Re:"If You Bake It, He Will Come" 2012/07/24 19:31:04 (permalink)
Were the cheese curds anything like the god ones inWisconsin?
JRPfeff
Filet Mignon
Re:"If You Bake It, He Will Come" 2012/07/24 22:25:42 (permalink)
drummagick

buffetbuster

*fresh blackberries over a cream cheese filling.  At least that is what I was told.  But, isn't there such a thing as black capberries?  Anyway, it was delicious!

Black caps, at least where I hail from in Western Washington, are small wild black raspberries. ;)

Those berries do look like black raspberries.
Michael Hoffman
Double-chop Porterhouse
  • Total Posts : 18426
Re:"If You Bake It, He Will Come" 2012/07/25 03:06:15 (permalink)
Seek and ye shall find:

Family Rosaceae
Rubus occidentalis L.
black-cap, black raspberry
Rubus: Latin name for "bramble" or "blackberry"
occidentalis: Latin for "western"
http://wisplants.uwsp.edu/scripts/detail.asp?SpCode=RUBOCC
Birdhunter
Hamburger
  • Total Posts : 95
Re:"If You Bake It, He Will Come" 2012/07/25 07:10:29 (permalink)
If you going to Gunder for lunch, split the burger and from there go to the St.Olaf Tap in St.Olaf, Iowa which is just down the road from there and split there 16 ounce tenderloin sandwich. Being this closed it's a must stop at both.
buffetbuster
Porterhouse
Re:"If You Bake It, He Will Come" 2012/07/25 08:06:14 (permalink)
Sunday July 1, 2012 (cont.)

Next up was the short drive to St. Olaf, IA, to visit St. Olaf's Tap.

Now,the town of St. Olaf is small (population of 108 according to the 2010 census), but it feels like Des Moines compared to where I had just been in Gunder.  St. Olaf's Tap claims to be the Home of the World's Largest Tenderloin. 

The motto on the sign says "Put Something Big Between Your Buns".

As soon as I walked in the door, there was only one other person in sight and it was a woman playing darts.  Assuming she would greet me and tell me where to sit, I stood just inside the door for a few moments.  She eventually looked at me and then went right back tothrowing darts.  Awkward!  Turns out she was a customer.  The inside was so dark,

there was no good place to get photos using natural light, so I plopped down at the nearest booth.  A man in his 30s wearing a St. Louis Cardinals hat came out of the kitchen and brought me a menu and soon after, a glass of 1919 root beer

from the tap in a frosted mug.  Very nice! 

There was a decent amount of other items on the menu, but the idea of getting anything other than a breaded pork tenderloin was not a consideration.  It was just a matter of how big. 

I would have loved to have gotten the big one, but there was no way I could have tackled it, especially after eating most of a Gunderburger just a short time before.  So, I settled on the medium, figuring that would probably be a regular sized BPT at most other places.

And that turned out to be an accurate assessment. 

It was still much bigger than the bun, extending out on all sides.  Sitting on a plate, the size can be deceiving, so here it is in my hands. 

Not a monster, but still a substantial sandwich.  And to think, this is only the medium!  The breading was crispy, with a thin coating.  The one complaint, it was salty.  Not too much that I didn't finish it, but I am sure there are better BPTs out there.

The man running the place was a nice guy, trying to take orders and do the cooking at the same time.  Halfway through the meal, two couples walked in the door, but he turned them away, saying they were closing in just a few minutes and the kitchen was closed.  As he walked past, he told me, "I hated to do that, but I have to spend some time with the family this weekend."  That is life as a small restaurant owner, isn't it?

St. Olaf's Tap
106 S. Main Street
St. Olaf, IA
563-783-7723

After three food stops in such a short amount of time, I needed a long break.  The plans were to spend the night in the Quad Cities area, so I drove straight to the hotel in Davenport.  After relaxing for a while, I was ready to go back out.  There was a Machine Shed a very short distance down the road, but all I needed was some ice cream.  My friend cecif has been telling me about Whitey's Ice Cream,

a popular local chain for years, so I found one not far away.  With this being a humid Sunday night, the place was packed.  Looking over the available flavors,

I settled on a scoop of black raspberry chip and a scoop of chocolate. 

Both very good, it was a perfect way to finish off a Summer evening.  But, I apparentlymight have made an error in ordering.  Waiting for my ice cream at the register, I noticed just how many of the servers were busy making milkshakes. 

When the young girl came over with my ice cream, I asked her about it.  She told me Whitey's is best known for their excellent milkshakes.  Okay, so next time I will know what to order.

Whitey's Ice Cream
2419 E 53rd Street
Davenport, Iowa
563-359-0001

It was back to the hotel for the night.

Much more to come.....           
post edited by buffetbuster - 2012/07/25 08:09:01
wanderingjew
Sirloin
Re:"If You Bake It, He Will Come" 2012/07/25 08:26:27 (permalink)
buffetbuster 

There was a decent amount of other items on the menu, but the idea of getting anything other than a breaded pork tenderloin was not a consideration.  I would have loved to have gotten the big one, but there was no way I could have tackled it, especially after eating most of a Gunderburger just a short time before.  So, I settled on the medium, figuring that would probably be a regular sized BPT at most other places. 

I think my Roadfood  radar picked up a groan coming out of the Chicagoland area that day....

ChiTownDiner
Filet Mignon
  • Total Posts : 2941
Re:"If You Bake It, He Will Come" 2012/07/25 08:43:38 (permalink)
Very much so...
buffetbuster
Porterhouse
Re:"If You Bake It, He Will Come" 2012/07/25 08:47:08 (permalink)
CTD wouldn't be impressed unless I ate the large pizza at Mabe's, a loaded Gunderburger and the Big One BPT.  Of course, I would be dead, but he would be impressed!
buffetbuster
Porterhouse
Re:"If You Bake It, He Will Come" 2012/07/25 08:50:39 (permalink)
Birdhunter

If you going to Gunder for lunch, split the burger and from there go to the St.Olaf Tap in St.Olaf, Iowa which is just down the road from there and split there 16 ounce tenderloin sandwich. Being this closed it's a must stop at both.
You were way ahead of me!  If I had someone to split those sandwiches with, that is exactly what we would have done. 

buffetbuster
Porterhouse
Re:"If You Bake It, He Will Come" 2012/07/25 08:53:46 (permalink)
ChiTownDiner

Were the cheese curds anything like the god ones inWisconsin?
Naw, the best ones in Wisconsin are fresh and squeaky.  But like I said, how could fried cheese ever be bad?

wanderingjew
Sirloin
Re:"If You Bake It, He Will Come" 2012/07/25 08:58:09 (permalink)
buffetbuster

CTD wouldn't be impressed unless I ate the large pizza at Mabe's, a loaded Gunderburger and the Big One BPT.  Of course, I would be dead, but he would be impressed!

True, but imagine the  legacy you would have left!
Page: < 1234 > Showing page 3 of 4
Jump to:
© 2014 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1