"Spiedie's" Sandwiches/Subs

Page: < 12345 > Showing page 3 of 5
Author
Mosca
Filet Mignon
  • Total Posts : 2980
RE: "Spiedie's" Sandwiches/Subs 2005/08/29 12:22:13 (permalink)
A side question: how closely is the spiedie related to porketta? I'd never heard of porketta nor spiedies before I moved to ne PA.

A porketta sandwich is pretty dang good.

Tom
Scorereader
Sirloin
  • Total Posts : 5550
RE: "Spiedie's" Sandwiches/Subs 2005/08/30 11:22:18 (permalink)
Porketta is an American version of an Italian porchetta, which has been prepared as a pork roast flavored with a variety of seasonings. Other than PA, you are likely to have seen Porketta in the upper mid-west as Italian families who migrated to northern Minnesota to work in the mines, made this pork dish using a boneless pork loin and seasoned with a dry rub. Typically, the ingredients of the dry rub include dill seed, fennel seed, oregano, pepper, garlic, and other seasonings.

A spiedie, on the other hand, is not a roast, but rather is marinated (not a dry rub) cubes of meat cooked on a skewer - including pork, chicken, lamb (traditional), beef or other meat. The marinade is a vinegar and oil based dressing that is chock full (about 1/3 the bottle) of a variety of seasonings. Instead of oven cooking like Porketta, the cubed meat is put on a skewer and grilled over fire. The name spiedie is probably a derivative of the Italian spiedino (a 'skewer') or spiedo ('spit').

Mosca
Filet Mignon
  • Total Posts : 2980
RE: "Spiedie's" Sandwiches/Subs 2005/08/30 13:40:58 (permalink)
Got it, thanks. I knew they were different, but I was wondering about one possibly being a derivation of the other. It appears that they come from completely different directions.

Tom
JDSpiedies
Junior Burger
  • Total Posts : 48
RE: "Spiedie's" Sandwiches/Subs 2006/03/14 18:55:20 (permalink)
Spring time is Coming!!!!! Which means only one thing.....

SPIEDIES!!!!!!!
Scorereader
Sirloin
RE: "Spiedie's" Sandwiches/Subs 2006/03/15 10:35:02 (permalink)
quote:
Originally posted by JDSpiedies

SPIEDIES!!!!!!!

my mouth is watering at the thought.

There's absolutely no question, that on my next trip home to Syracuse, I'm making a pit stop in Binghamton for a speedie.

In the mean time, I'm going to be purchase a grill this Spring. I'm definately going to head to Wegman's (in Fairfax, VA) to pick up Hoffman brand hot dogs and coneys, and Salamida's State Fair Speedie sauce for my chicken and do a little dino BBQ too. That with some salt potatoes and and I'll be in CNY foodie heaven right here in DC.

scottmahaffy
Junior Burger
  • Total Posts : 28
RE: "Spiedie's" Sandwiches/Subs 2006/04/03 23:04:11 (permalink)
quote:
Originally posted by Scorereader

quote:
Originally posted by JDSpiedies

SPIEDIES!!!!!!!

my mouth is watering at the thought.

There's absolutely no question, that on my next trip home to Syracuse, I'm making a pit stop in Binghamton for a speedie.

In the mean time, I'm going to be purchase a grill this Spring. I'm definately going to head to Wegman's (in Fairfax, VA) to pick up Hoffman brand hot dogs and coneys, and Salamida's State Fair Speedie sauce for my chicken and do a little dino BBQ too. That with some salt potatoes and and I'll be in CNY foodie heaven right here in DC.

oh please - please - you all are making me way to hungry! I ran out of Hofmann coneys and am jones'n bad! Salt Potato's - oh heart be still! Have plenty of spiedie sauce though 2 1/2 gals in stock and ready to barbie! Enjoy my friends and spread the word of good food to the world - "One grill at a time!" - Enjoy - Scott
denverbeau
Junior Burger
  • Total Posts : 7
RE: "Spiedie's" Sandwiches/Subs 2006/04/14 01:27:52 (permalink)
"Spring time is Coming!!!!! Which means only one thing.....

SPIEDIES!!!!!!!"

Just a few comments from one who grew up on the 'nort' side of Endicott in the late Fifties:

Speidis were cooked on hibachi's and ALWAYS made of lamb then, and Italian bread(preferably Battaglini's) was the mode to get 'em into your mouth.

A jug of wine and tho.....Heaven.

Can't even find a lamb speidi nowadays, oh well, that's show biz!

Bill
Big Butt BBQ
Junior Burger
  • Total Posts : 26
RE: "Spiedie's" Sandwiches/Subs 2006/04/14 12:56:46 (permalink)
Amen Denverbeau,

Nothing like a lamb spiedie on Battaglini's sliced bread, fresh out of the oven at 3:00.

As far as Sharkey's, 3 thumbs down.

You can buy lamb spiedies from Lupo's or Butcher Boy's market in Endicott.

If you happen to be in town June 9, 10, 11, visit St. Anthony's feast days, corner of Odell and Jenkins for a lamb spiedie.
denverbeau
Junior Burger
RE: "Spiedie's" Sandwiches/Subs 2006/04/14 13:11:47 (permalink)

"quote:
Originally posted by fafaru

I ate at Sharkey's recently and was most impressed at the friendliness of the people there. Less enthralled with the spiedie, and disappointed in myself for letting my focus on trying a spiedie causing me to not order some other great things available, like the smelts.

I've found the only problem with Sharkey's speidi's is they cut-up the cubes too small, thus making them too well done.
The fried chicken basket has been a guilty pleasue of mine for decades.
-Bill
Cosmos
Double Chili Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 1449
RE: "Spiedie's" Sandwiches/Subs 2006/04/14 13:21:17 (permalink)
I grilled some pork speidies on my smokey joe a couple of weeks ago...a little homemade tzatziki, some pits,rice and the smell of the smoke...awsome!
jqt71
Junior Burger
  • Total Posts : 1
RE: "Spiedie's" Sandwiches/Subs 2006/04/25 23:45:49 (permalink)
I love "Spiedie's" Just to let everyone know come thanksgiving time if anyone fries Turkey's Spiedie's is great to inject into the Turkey it leaves it soooo moist no more dried out turkey on thanksgiving. Everyone Enjoy!!!
scottmahaffy
Junior Burger
  • Total Posts : 28
RE: "Spiedie's" Sandwiches/Subs 2006/04/26 00:03:03 (permalink)
Great Idea! Thanks for sharing this unique way to enjoy the SPIEDIE flavor.
quote:
Originally posted by jqt71

I love "Spiedie's" Just to let everyone know come thanksgiving time if anyone fries Turkey's Spiedie's is great to inject into the Turkey it leaves it soooo moist no more dried out turkey on thanksgiving. Everyone Enjoy!!!
Noxodas
Junior Burger
RE: "Spiedie's" Sandwiches/Subs 2006/04/30 15:27:29 (permalink)

GOD, you guys are making me homesick!

I moved to Binghamtom as teenager to attend SUNY Binghamton and stayed to live there for many years, to the point where I consider myself a Binghamtonian. Sharkey's, Lupo's Charpit (the one in Binghamton and the one in Endicott), the spiedie fest at Otsiningo Park... giant scoops of Pat Mitchell's ice cream after a workout at Hidy Ochiai's...

Here in SW Florida I cannot have Pat Mitchell's ice cream, or work out at Hidy Ochiai's, but thank God, I can have Salamida's State Fair spiedie marinade delivered. There are things a guy should not do without...

Noxodas

denverbeau
Junior Burger
RE: "Spiedie's" Sandwiches/Subs 2006/04/30 15:43:17 (permalink)
"....giant scoops of Pat Mitchell's ice cream ..."

Noxodas, what years did you attend 'Harpur'?(old name of Bing. SUNY)
I knew alot of students there.

-Bill
UncleVic
Sirloin
  • Total Posts : 6025
RE: "Spiedie's" Sandwiches/Subs 2006/05/02 14:32:47 (permalink)
When making a Spiedie... When they skewer to cook, do they add peppers and onions also? Or is it just the meat?
denverbeau
Junior Burger
RE: "Spiedie's" Sandwiches/Subs 2006/05/02 14:45:07 (permalink)
"When making a Spiedie... When they skewer to cook, do they add peppers and onions also? Or is it just the meat?"

Just meat. It's considered a sin to cook 'em w/ veggies.....
Although I think Lupo's served 'em w/ peppers & onions if you wanted it.

For a quick preparation, try a Hormel(or other) pork tenderloin or roast, cut up.
Naturally, the 'Garlic' is best, but all are good.

LisaPR
Junior Burger
  • Total Posts : 5
RE: "Spiedie's" Sandwiches/Subs 2006/05/26 14:11:41 (permalink)
Grew up on the northside of Endicott ... my grandfather used to cook spiedies in front of Spill's on Oak Hill Ave. next to the park . Some of you may remember it as the Beacon !!! Grew up on Battaglini's bread
.. also had their sheet pies . Those were for family occasions . I also remember going to St. Anthonys Feast Days up at the park (Cronks Field )
We used to walk up there from St. Anthonys school for our summer picnic.
Also Denverbeau you are so right .. the only true spiedie is a lamb spiedie. I do have Salamidas in my fridge as I type .. but there is also a gallon of Lupos here too. Used to work at Lupos and went to school w/ Steve and John
denverbeau
Junior Burger
RE: "Spiedie's" Sandwiches/Subs 2006/05/26 14:34:26 (permalink)
Originally posted by LisaPR

Grew up on the northside of Endicott ... my grandfather used to cook spiedies in front of Spill's on Oak Hill Ave. next to the park . Some of you may remember it as the Beacon !!! Grew up on Battaglini's bread

There was just something special about Battaglini's Italian bread.
Crusty but soft on the inside. To me, Roma's seemed like the store made bread. "Spill's/The Beacon" must have been busy w/ after-work tannery men. Remember the 'Kiddie Pool' at Geo. F. Park?

Bill
LisaPR
Junior Burger
RE: "Spiedie's" Sandwiches/Subs 2006/05/26 16:04:46 (permalink)
Do I remember the kiddie pool.... lived there before I used to go to the "Z" pool !!! What about the "big" slide down in the bottom of the park ?? Personally for spiedies and sausage I prefer Jimmy Romas bread. We always had battaglinis for Sunday dinner and sandwiches. Miss the bread
from up there I can always cook the food ... but can't duplicate the bread.
EdSails
Filet Mignon
  • Total Posts : 3965
RE: "Spiedie's" Sandwiches/Subs 2006/05/26 17:35:03 (permalink)
I did my Binghamton trip last month----tried a spiedie at the "Spiedie and Rib Pit" located at 1268 Front Street. OK, nothing that knocked me out---but as you mention, theirs was just pork. I did pick up a bottle of Salamida's Spiedie Sauce with which I plan to make lamb spiedies. Looking forward to tasting lamb that way!
Big Butt BBQ
Junior Burger
  • Total Posts : 26
RE: "Spiedie's" Sandwiches/Subs 2006/05/27 07:57:56 (permalink)
Had dinner at the Oak's Inn last night and we finished off 2 baskets of Battaglini bread. By far the best bread in this area. Butcher Boy's meat market on Taft Ave has good lamb spiedies.
LisaPR
Junior Burger
RE: "Spiedie's" Sandwiches/Subs 2006/05/27 18:37:04 (permalink)
Went to Oaks Inn about a month ago when I was home. Love the dipping sauce Rick puts out there. I think my husband and I ate about the same amount of bread. That is the only place I order anything w/ sauce on it and I live down here in the heart of Soprano country.
JDSpiedies
Junior Burger
  • Total Posts : 48
RE: "Spiedie's" Sandwiches/Subs 2006/06/06 18:14:31 (permalink)
I made some spiedies for Memorial Day weekend. Cooked on Monday while listening to the tail end of 77 WABC rewound. My mom and brother said they are good. Besides, I used the Chicken BBQ marinade and they are in ziplock bags in the freezer for later this summer.

Now we are in spedie season!!

OT, BTW: For all you Rush fans, log on to www.petitiononline.com/YYZ2112/petition.html and sign the petition for
Geddy, Alex, and Neil to finally play Australia!!
denverbeau
Junior Burger
RE: "Spiedie's" Sandwiches/Subs 2006/06/06 18:43:56 (permalink)
"Cooked on Monday while listening to the tail end of 77 WABC rewound."

I missed 'Rewound', but post every Sat. night on the Oldies
Board, while listening to the show.

-Bill
lucysmamamia
Junior Burger
RE: "Spiedie's" Sandwiches/Subs 2006/06/13 17:22:07 (permalink)
I've been reading this spiedie debate with interest. It seems there are spiedie purists, and everyone else. We purists would never, ever use bottled marinade. There's just no comparison to fresh. My mom went to school with the Lupo boys in Endicott back in the 1930s and 1940s, and this is the authentic recipe passed down through the years. I grew up on lamb spiedies but now prefer chicken. Next month I will be in Endicott and will visit Lupo's Char Pit several times, with Pat Mitchell's for dessert, of course. My mouth is watering already! I'll also bring lots of Battaglini's fresh Italian bread back to Texas so we can have our own spiediefest. Enjoy!!

LUPO’S SPIEDIE MARINADE

In a large bowl whisk together:

juice of 2 fresh lemons (about 2/3 cup)
same amount of wine vinegar
1 cup vegetable oil
6 cloves garlic, finely chopped
2 Tbsp. dried parsley
2 Tbsp. dried basil
pinch oregano
2 tsp. salt
1 tsp. garlic powder
1/2-1 tsp. pepper

Mix well. Pour over chunks of trimmed lamb, pork, beef, seafood/fish or chicken. This batch of marinade will cover at least six pounds of meat. Mix to coat every piece well. Cover and refrigerate at least 2-3 days. Mix occasionally.

Place desired number of pieces of meat close together on metal skewers (just meat, no vegetables). Roast over a charcoal (never, ever gas) fire, turning for even browning. If desired, brush occasionally with marinade. When done, slip meat off skewer onto a slice of fresh Italian bread, preferably Battaglini's. Nothing else is needed--no veggies, condiments or other sauces.

Pure bliss!
Lgretep
Junior Burger
RE: "Spiedie's" Sandwiches/Subs 2006/06/15 07:21:29 (permalink)
OK, Scott. Glad you posted the spiedie history as part of your postings. I was a little concerned when I read in this column that, "Rob Salamida invented it". According to the Atlas of Popular Culture in the Northeastern US (the link you provided), Rob Salamida did not invent the spiedie, but he is an area entrepreneur with a long history in spiedie-dom. See the short excerpt below - one paragraph of about ten on this topic, which very carefully details the fascinating history of this sandwich.

The originator of the spiedie is most likely Augustine Iacovelli from Endicott, NY. Iacovelli immigrated to the Binghamton region from Civitella in Abruzzi, Italy in 1929. He first worked at Endicott-Johnson, a shoe manufacturer and the region's largest employer. In 1939 he opened a restaurant, Augies, on the north side of Endicott. The name comes from the Italian "spiedo," meaning "spit." (Moore 1991). The original sauce, which he called Zuzu, was wine vinegar, water, lemon juice, garlic and mint. The meat, originally only lamb, was cooked on wooden skewers (Boros 1984). A report from the local paper about the annual Speidie Fest in 1989 did not repeat the Iacovelli origin story but merely said it was "probably brought to the Triple Cities by Italian immigrants."

And thank God for this Atlas, because It is high time that the true history be nailed down. Regional favorites like this often get derailed, misnamed and transformed, so that nobody knows their true origin after a little while. Really glad to see the history of Binghmtn's sandwich pride laid out here.

pcdiva
Double Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 591
RE: "Spiedie's" Sandwiches/Subs 2006/06/15 07:47:14 (permalink)
Must say that my main curiosity is pronunciation of this gastronomic delight. Is it SPY-EE-DEE? SPEE-EYE-DEE? Something totally different? I've never heard of them before this thread, but they sound delicious! Marinated meat, charcoal grilling, and fresh Italian bread, sounds yummy to me! Anyone know where I can find one in Michigan since I can't have a charcoal grill at my apartment?

Alice
Scorereader
Sirloin
RE: "Spiedie's" Sandwiches/Subs 2006/06/15 10:28:49 (permalink)
SPEE-DEE

Made some at my Upstate, NY party a few weeks ago.
They were a big big hit.
I marinaded the lamb and chicken overnight. They were absolutely sumptuous.

I did use bottled State Fair, which, many many upstate NYers use.
LisaPR
Junior Burger
RE: "Spiedie's" Sandwiches/Subs 2006/06/16 14:09:32 (permalink)
quote:
Originally posted by lucysmamamia

I've been reading this spiedie debate with interest. It seems there are spiedie purists, and everyone else. We purists would never, ever use bottled marinade. There's just no comparison to fresh. My mom went to school with the Lupo boys in Endicott back in the 1930s and 1940s, and this is the authentic recipe passed down through the years. I grew up on lamb spiedies but now prefer chicken. Next month I will be in Endicott and will visit Lupo's Char Pit several times, with Pat Mitchell's for dessert, of course. My mouth is watering already! I'll also bring lots of Battaglini's fresh Italian bread back to Texas so we can have our own spiediefest. Enjoy!!

LUPO’S SPIEDIE MARINADE

1 cup vegetable oil
2 Tbsp. dried parsley
2 Tbsp. dried basil
pinch oregano
2 tsp. salt
1 tsp. garlic powder
1/2-1 tsp. pepper

Mix well. Pour over chunks of trimmed lamb, pork, beef, seafood/fish or chicken. This batch of marinade will cover at least six pounds of meat. Mix to coat every piece well. Cover and refrigerate at least 2-3 days. Mix occasionally.

Place desired number of pieces of meat close together on metal skewers (just meat, no vegetables). Roast over a charcoal (never, ever gas) fire, turning for even browning. If desired, brush occasionally with marinade. When done, slip meat off skewer onto a slice of fresh Italian bread, preferably Battaglini's. Nothing else is needed--no veggies, condiments or other sauces.

Pure bliss!

I couldn't agree w/ you more ... we always used homemade marinade very similiar to yours growing up. Spiedie sauce like tomato sauce was always made to a families taste. I buy marinade for mainly the convenience.
Also Salamida' and Lupo's are just business people marketing a local favorite.
LisaPR
Junior Burger
RE: "Spiedie's" Sandwiches/Subs 2006/06/16 14:14:28 (permalink)
quote:
Originally posted by LisaPR

quote:
Originally posted by lucysmamamia

LUPO’S SPIEDIE MARINADE

1 cup vegetable oil
2 Tbsp. dried parsley
2 Tbsp. dried basil
pinch oregano
2 tsp. salt
1 tsp. garlic powder
1/2-1 tsp. pepper

Pure bliss!

I couldn't agree w/ you more ... we always used homemade marinade very similiar to yours growing up. Spiedie sauce like tomato sauce was always made to a families taste. I buy marinade for mainly the convenience.
Also Salamida' and Lupo's are just business people marketing a local favorite.
OOOOOPS!!!! I forgot that recipe is not Lupos... I worked for them for many years and I KNOW for a fact that is NOT the recipe. The seasonings are totally secret and known only to family. You also have 2 families ... 2 recipes. Sam's family makes one and John's family makes another.
Page: < 12345 > Showing page 3 of 5
Jump to:
© 2014 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1