Junior Burger
RE: "Spiedie's" Sandwiches/Subs 2008/02/01 18:56:40
quote:
Originally posted by Scorereader

quote:
Originally posted by Mack184

quote:
Originally posted by Scorereader

I can get Salamida's and Wegman's brand speidie sauce at the Wegmans in Virginia. Which is awesome, because my friends now force me to make chicken speidies whenever there's a cookout.

Wegman's brand is bottled by Robbie Salamida.

yes, but they are slighty different from one another - not greatly different, but a little. Which is fine. I like them both.
JDSpiedies
Junior Burger
RE: "Spiedie's" Sandwiches/Subs 2008/03/06 17:28:03
Did Somebody say SPIEDIES???????

Well, it is that time of year, buoys and gulls, the snow is just about to melt (ever tried maple syrup on snow?), baseball is starting up again, people are starting to buy their seed packets, the old hot rods are coming of Hibernation, and the Weber Grill are just about ready to be put back in commission, which only mean one thing is for sure.....

SPIEDIES SEASON IS COMING!!!!!
Scorereader
Sirloin
RE: "Spiedie's" Sandwiches/Subs 2008/03/07 12:32:22
the snow is about to melt?
you new yorkers sure are optimistic!

But, yeah, I'm excited to grill outside and make some spiedies too. I just need to make a trip to Wegman's (Fairfax, VA) for a couple bottles of Salimida's State Fair Spiedie sauce.

Coach C
Junior Burger
RE: "Spiedie's" Sandwiches/Subs 2008/03/18 00:51:22
I am looking desperately for the Basque Marinade made in Madera, CA. We love the stuff, we raise sheep and use the marinade on everything. It's wonderful on cold pasta salads. Please help me find a way to order it, because I can't get it here in ID., Thanks
MiamiDon
Filet Mignon
RE: "Spiedie's" Sandwiches/Subs 2008/03/18 06:37:56
quote:
Originally posted by Coach C

I am looking desperately for the Basque Marinade made in Madera, CA. We love the stuff, we raise sheep and use the marinade on everything. It's wonderful on cold pasta salads. Please help me find a way to order it, because I can't get it here in ID., Thanks

If this is the stuff, just order it from the maker:

http://www.basquecompany.com/
happybadger08
Junior Burger
RE: "Spiedie's" Sandwiches/Subs 2008/03/19 13:49:57
happybadger08
Junior Burger
RE: "Spiedie's" Sandwiches/Subs 2008/03/19 13:53:24
Hi there everybody- I'm from upstate Ny -relocated to Florida and now I'm in knoxville,Tn. If you go to the Rossini Festival on April 19th this year in Knoxville I'll be there with my grill and plenty of speidies made with the original Lupos marinade. Just look for the tent that says- The Happy Badger. It's a great festival- see ya there!
Yellowstone
Junior Burger
RE: "Spiedie's" Sandwiches/Subs 2008/04/09 12:19:31
If you live near an Albertson's grocery store you can have them order it in for you. It only takes a couple of weeks and you'll have it. I have done it several times here in Montana.
SeamusD
Double Chili Cheeseburger
RE: "Spiedie's" Sandwiches/Subs 2008/04/10 13:57:04
I agree with the folks saying Lupo's Char Pit is better when you want them made for you, and Salamida's sauce is better when you make them yourself. I almost never go through the Binghamton/Endicott area without a stop at Lupo's (or Phil's Chicken House!).

We make spiedies on a regular basis in summertime, usually chicken (nobody else seems to care for lamb or pork spiedies in my group). It's hard waiting overnight for the marinating, knowing there's a bucket of love waiting in the fridge!

There aren't many places around here (Syracuse, NY) that serve spiedies, in fact, I can't even think of one off the top of my head... unless you count the NYS Fair in August, but I stay away from that even though I work down the street from it. So it's good that the best sauces are available in most of the stores here to make them at home.
scottmahaffy
Junior Burger
RE: "Spiedie's" Sandwiches/Subs 2008/05/10 12:21:45
Thanks For the Tip! Heres a link to their stores:

https://shop.albertsons.com/eCommerceWeb/LandingPageAction.do?action=zipCheck
quote:
Originally posted by Yellowstone

If you live near an Albertson's grocery store you can have them order it in for you. It only takes a couple of weeks and you'll have it. I have done it several times here in Montana.
scottmahaffy
Junior Burger
RE: "Spiedie's" Sandwiches/Subs 2008/06/15 10:57:53
Spiedie Sauce is now available in East Tennessee at Sullys Bagels and Deli in Pigeon Forge TN. They also grill them out on their dining deck on occasion. Give them a try - they are located next to Ernest Tubb Record shop in the Settlers Village Shopping plaza between lights 7 and 8 southbound.
Scorereader
Sirloin
RE: "Spiedie's" Sandwiches/Subs 2008/06/16 14:27:30
The Harris Teeters in the DC area now sell Salamida's State Fair Spiedie Sauce. I no longer have to trek out to Wegmans. Maybe they'll start stockpiling some other CNY/WNY goods? ...I'm not holding my breath, but I'd love to see Dinosaur slathering sauce hit the Harris Teeter shelves.

I'll be grilling some spiedies this week, if the weather stays cool and dry.

Scorereader
Sirloin
RE: "Spiedie's" Sandwiches/Subs 2008/06/16 14:40:31
quote:
Originally posted by SeamusD

There aren't many places around here (Syracuse, NY) that serve spiedies, in fact, I can't even think of one off the top of my head... unless you count the NYS Fair in August,

Yeah, until I visited a college friend who grew up in Binghamton, I always thought it was a State Fair only food. It didn't help my misconception that the name was "Salamida's State Fair Spiedies." Otherwise, we'd have them at a picnic, or on some years, I'd see a speedie vendor at Harborfest in Oswego. But of course, the big thing there was fried clams with salt potatoes, so I wasn't even looking for spiedies.

So, yeah, one has to visit the southern tier to get them at a restaurant, or go to The Great NYS Fair in August, or make them on the outdoor grill - which we called a barbecue, which is confusing, I know. In CNY, "a barbecue," is merely a picnic with grills, usually involving hamburgers, hotdogs, italian sausage, maybe BBQed chicken and perhaps spiedie's or other such skewer. (polish sausage could be in place of the italian sausage or hotdog depending on ethnic backround.)

So, if they say, "you wanna come over for a barbecue," this simply means an outdoor gathering with food off the grill. If they say, "come one over for barbecue," they most likely mean bbq chicken. If they actually mean "come over for real BBQ," they'll say," come over for a pig roast," which means the person most likely lives in a rural area of CNY/WNY, and they do infact mean a real pig roast - as good as anywhere.

phew, I even when off topic in my on-topic post. That was some detour.

Main point: I was excited to see Salamida's at the Harris Teeter in DC.
scottmahaffy
Junior Burger
RE: "Spiedie's" Sandwiches/Subs 2012/03/29 01:02:30
Rob Salamidas Original State Fair Spiedie Sauce is available at most FOODLION stores around the southeast USA. FOODLION also has it at its stores in Myrtle Beach, South Carolina.
carlton pierre
RE: "Spiedie's" Sandwiches/Subs 2012/03/30 07:47:30
In this part of the country you can get it at Ingle's
spiedielover
Junior Burger
Re:"Spiedie's" Sandwiches/Subs 2012/03/30 13:40:42
Those of you looking for Salamida State Fair Spiedie sauce and the rest of their line of marinades go to  spiedie.com and you can order it there.  Spiedies always taste the best when you make them yourself at home with this sauce.  My favorite is the Lemon Garlicious! 
post edited by spiedielover - 2012/03/30 13:42:39
Lisajo
Hamburger
Re:"Spiedie's" Sandwiches/Subs 2012/03/30 14:47:15
I just bought Salamidas Original State Fair Spiedie Sauce at Ingles in Travelers Rest, SC today.  Will try it out this weekend! 
Yankeedoodle
Junior Burger
RE: "Spiedie's" Sandwiches/Subs 2012/05/09 05:49:21
The spiedies and City chicken at sharkeys are made from the exact same meat ....Just the City Chicken is breaded and on a wood skewer. I worked there for about ten years. The only spiedies I will ever eat. 4.75 a pound raw.
Bruce Bilmes and Susan Boyle
RE: "Spiedie's" Sandwiches/Subs 2012/05/09 09:27:23
And the city chicken is deep-fried, isn't it?
Yankeedoodle
Junior Burger
RE: "Spiedie's" Sandwiches/Subs 2012/05/09 13:18:00
Yes it is deep fried.
SeamusD
RE: "Spiedie's" Sandwiches/Subs 2012/05/10 19:51:08
Scorereader

[id="quote"]quote: Originally posted by SeamusD

There aren't many places around here (Syracuse, NY) that serve spiedies, in fact, I can't even think of one off the top of my head... unless you count the NYS Fair in August,

In CNY, "a barbecue," is merely a picnic with grills, usually involving hamburgers, hotdogs, italian sausage, maybe BBQed chicken and perhaps spiedie's or other such skewer. (polish sausage could be in place of the italian sausage or hotdog depending on ethnic backround.)

I guess it depends on the exact location, but we've always called that a "cookout". A "bbq" is usually bbq chicken in mass quantities, and you're correct about real "barbeque", we do call that a pig roast.
carlton pierre
RE: "Spiedie's" Sandwiches/Subs 2012/05/11 09:05:44
This may be sacreligious but I like Spiede Sause on salads as a dressing.
Yankeedoodle
Junior Burger
RE: "Spiedie's" Sandwiches/Subs 2012/07/26 07:38:47
Just picked up 10 lbs of Sharkeys pork spiedies. Taking them camping. And Salimida's sauce is garbage in this area. You need to make your own or just go to sharkeys and pay the 4.75 a lb.
BarryBradford
Junior Burger
RE: "Spiedie's" Sandwiches/Subs 2012/07/26 10:13:28
I respectfully disagree with Yankeedoodle.  Salamida's sauce is locally made and is the best spiedie sauce in the business.  I've seen it in Florida at Sweetbay grocery stores, I've seen it in Maine at Hannaford supermarkets.  And your taste for spiedies from Sharkeys says you don't know what the original Italians spiedie is all about.  Sharkey's uses tomato sauce as part of his marinade.  My relatives in California buy a case of Salimida's spiedie sauce four times a year and have had some very famous people at their gatherings enjoying spiedies.  
Yankeedoodle
Junior Burger
RE: "Spiedie's" Sandwiches/Subs 2012/07/28 01:57:53
BarryBradford

I respectfully disagree with Yankeedoodle.  Salamida's sauce is locally made and is the best spiedie sauce in the business.  I've seen it in Florida at Sweetbay grocery stores, I've seen it in Maine at Hannaford supermarkets.  And your taste for spiedies from Sharkeys says you don't know what the original Italians spiedie is all about.  Sharkey's uses tomato sauce as part of his marinade.  My relatives in California buy a case of Salimida's spiedie sauce four times a year and have had some very famous people at their gatherings enjoying spiedies.  

I absolutly know what the original italian spiedie is. Because I prefer Sharkeys (which in no way has any tomato sauce in it) doesn't mean I don't know how the Italians made spiedies. Rob Salamidas sauce is as close to the original spiedies as Kraft Italian salad dressing is. Original Spiedies where made from Lamb which I don't care for. I worked for Sharkeys for 10 years and while only 3 people know the marinade recipe(me not being one) I can asure you that doing almost all the delivery reception in those 10 years there is no way in heck tomato sauce or any other tomato product was used in the sauce.
post edited by Yankeedoodle - 2012/07/28 01:59:37
dirtdog58
Junior Burger
RE: "Spiedie's" Sandwiches/Subs 2012/11/22 11:58:49
I've found the sauce @ walmart
spiedielover
Junior Burger
RE: "Spiedie's" Sandwiches/Subs 2012/11/26 16:13:55
Salamida's Sauce is the best!  I use it on any kind of meat but like it on chicken the most.
Page: < 123 Showing page 3 of 3 - Powered by APG vNext Trial