"Spiedie's" Sandwiches/Subs

Page: 12345 > Showing page 1 of 5
Author
scottmahaffy
Junior Burger
  • Total Posts : 28
2003/04/09 00:47:22 (permalink)

"Spiedie's" Sandwiches/Subs

If you have never heard of a spiedie -- well you are in for a TREAT!! A spiedie is meat(usually cubed like stew beef or pork) marinated in a very special sauce called "The Original State Fair Spiedie Sauce" from The Rob Salamida Co. Johnson City, NY (Near Binghamton). This company is THE ONLY place that you can get this product. Luckily if not in the area they now are available online at: http://www.spiedie.com/index.htm . Order enough for the whole neighborhood - because as soon as you you start cooking - neighbors will be asking what smells so good!

OK - heres how to make a spiedie-

You will need:

A bottle or two of Original State Fair Spiedie Sauce.

Boneless pork loin - cubed in 2 inch square cubes.(substitute stew beef if you like, but pork is best)

Bamboo or metal skewers.

Your favorite Sub / Hogie Bun

A BBQ Grill.

First cube the meat and place in a glass bowl large enough to accomadate the meat and marinade. Shake and pour Salamida's"Original State Fair Spiedie Sauce" over the cubed meat. Cover and refrigerate, stiring occasionally. (Marinate overnight for best flavor) Place cubes onto skewers and fire up the BBQ! When the meat is fully cooked - slice the rolls from end to end(like a hot dog roll). For best results serve hot off the grill by placing the skewer of meat into the roll and hold the roll - while pulling the skewer from the meat, all in one fluid motion. I also recommend drizzling some fresh marinade over the top of the cooked meat for best flavor. (DO NOT use the marinade that you soaked the raw meat in, use a fresh bottle) Thats it - ENJOY!!

146 Replies Related Threads

Michael Stern
    Double Chili Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 1031
    RE: "Spiedie's" Sandwiches/Subs 2003/04/09 03:58:07 (permalink)
    Cosmos
    • Total Posts : 1449
    RE: "Spiedie's" Sandwiches/Subs 2003/04/09 08:12:14 (permalink)
    We serve ours on pita...the big ones (brush with oil on one side and toss on the grill until it gets warm and soft), with tsatziki sauce (I use plain yogurt, crushed garlic, chopped cucumber, and dill). Another summertime favorite.

The State Fair Spiedie Sauce is Great!!! I use it on chicken and game hens too.
    RC51Mike
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 443
    RE: "Spiedie's" Sandwiches/Subs 2003/04/09 14:35:51 (permalink)
    Didn't have to ask me twice. I went right over to the website and ordered four bottles (a case was probably a bit much for my pantry.) I hadn't had one in years. I guess I haven't been stopping in that neck of the woods during lunch time lately. Thanks.
    Sundancer7
    Fire Safety Admin
    • Total Posts : 13481
    RE: "Spiedie's" Sandwiches/Subs 2003/04/09 14:40:07 (permalink)
    Is spiedie sauce like a BBQ sauce? Sounds good but I need a little more verbage

Thanks
    Paul E. Smith
    Knoxville, TN
    Cosmos
    RE: "Spiedie's" Sandwiches/Subs 2003/04/09 14:53:30 (permalink)
    It is a marinade, largely oil and vinegar, and clotted with herb seasoning. The seasonings take up the bottom third of the bottle. I use it as a marinade and in basting during grilling.
    scottmahaffy
    Junior Burger
    RE: "Spiedie's" Sandwiches/Subs 2003/04/09 21:18:05 (permalink)
    Just a quick note:

If you enjoy the recipe for Spiedies - please tell all your friends and family, and dont forget to give them the website; so they too may order their own sauces. I have been an avid spiedie consumer for over 15 years, and have e-mailed The Rob Salamida Company on several occasions. On every occasion they have most graciously contacted me; and are always the most upstanding and friendly company I have been priviledged to come in contact with. So ENJOY your spiedies and take comfort in knowing that you are supporting a small comapny that appreciates their customers with all the zest and vigor that makes you more than happy to continue to buy and support their products. So SPREAD THE WORD - EAT Spiedies - You will be so glad you did!!

Bringing Spiedies to the world - One Grill at a time! Scott
    redhillman
    Junior Burger
    • Total Posts : 3
    RE: "Spiedie's" Sandwiches/Subs 2003/05/29 02:30:27 (permalink)
    How about the sub ?
    scottmahaffy
    Junior Burger
    RE: "Spiedie's" Sandwiches/Subs 2003/05/30 22:38:13 (permalink)
    Spiedie's may be served in any bread or roll. I prefer to have them in a soft Sub/Hogie roll. Some people eat them right off the skewer. Wichever way you prefer, there is no right or wrong. Enjoy! Scott
    RockyB
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 120
    RE: "Spiedie's" Sandwiches/Subs 2003/06/23 14:30:57 (permalink)
    Originally posted by scottmahaffy

Just a quick note:

If you enjoy the recipe for Spiedies - please tell all your friends and family, and dont forget to give them the website; so they too may order their own sauces. I have been an avid spiedie consumer for over 15 years, and have e-mailed The Rob Salamida Company on several occasions. On every occasion they have most graciously contacted me; and are always the most upstanding and friendly company I have been priviledged to come in contact with. So ENJOY your spiedies and take comfort in knowing that you are supporting a small comapny that appreciates their customers with all the zest and vigor that makes you more than happy to continue to buy and support their products. So SPREAD THE WORD - EAT Spiedies - You will be so glad you did!!

Bringing Spiedies to the world - One Grill at a time! Scott
    Scott:
    Either you are in the employ of Rob Salamida, or you are deeply biased against Lupo's Spiedies and their sauce. Spiedies are wonderful things. Whether you use Salamida's, or Lupo's or make your own!
    Cosmos
    RE: "Spiedie's" Sandwiches/Subs 2003/06/23 17:57:03 (permalink)
    I've seen Lupo's at Tops, but haven't tried it yet...its hard to pass up Salamidas, but I'll give it a try.
    scottmahaffy
    Junior Burger
    RE: "Spiedie's" Sandwiches/Subs 2003/07/05 13:57:21 (permalink)
    Lupo's Is a spiedie stand near Binghampton NY (the home of Salamida's State Fair Spiedie Sauces) - They used to use Salamida's State Fair Spiedie Sauces in thier stand - but maybe now have created their own copy cat sauce and are marketing it at the local area TOPS supermarkets.(a practice I find distasteful! and just plain wrong) As for me I grab a spiedie at Lupo's when ever I am back in the area, but as far as the sauce goes - I am sticking with the ORIGINAL! Salamida's State Fair Spiedie Sauce!

quote:
    Originally posted by Cosmos

I've seen Lupo's at Tops, but haven't tried it yet...its hard to pass up Salamidas, but I'll give it a try.
    wanderingjew
    Sirloin
    • Total Posts : 7775
    RE: "Spiedie's" Sandwiches/Subs 2003/07/08 14:35:01 (permalink)
    Just returned from a family visit in Albany NY for the Fourth of July weekend. Before returning to Rhode Island, I decided to back track and checked out a B-Mets AA baseball game in Binghamton NY. I stopped at Sharkey's before the game. I had the stuffed cabbage which was not bad and the Pierogies which I thought were so-so. However the stand out was the Spiedie Sandwich....YUM!! Absolutely Delicious
    jpatweb
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 232
    RE: "Spiedie's" Sandwiches/Subs 2003/07/08 16:07:38 (permalink)
    By chance, did you come across the coil sausage at the stadium?
    quote:
    Originally posted by wanderingjew

Just returned from a family visit in Albany NY for the Fourth of July weekend. Before returning to Rhode Island, I decided to back track and checked out a B-Mets AA baseball game in Binghamton NY. I stopped at Sharkey's before the game. I had the stuffed cabbage which was not bad and the Pierogies which I thought were so-so. However the stand out was the Spiedie Sandwich....YUM!! Absolutely Delicious
    wanderingjew
    Sirloin
    • Total Posts : 7775
    RE: "Spiedie's" Sandwiches/Subs 2003/07/08 16:12:04 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by jpatweb

By chance, did you come across the coil sausage at the stadium?

Yes, but I couldn't eat another bite after dinner. I did knock back a couple of Yuenglings
    redtressed
    • Total Posts : 1017
    RE: "Spiedie's" Sandwiches/Subs 2003/08/24 23:36:36 (permalink)
    We're very fortunate here in the hills of West-By-Gawd Virginny to have Salamida's State Fair Spiedie marinade, as well as some of their other sauces, in a couple of our local grocery chains. I buy 6 bottles of each , every time...and they rarely last the month out....
    scottmahaffy
    Junior Burger
    RE: "Spiedie's" Sandwiches/Subs 2003/08/25 15:10:29 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by redtressed

We're very fortunate here in the hills of West-By-Gawd Virginny to have Salamida's State Fair Spiedie marinade, as well as some of their other sauces, in a couple of our local grocery chains. I buy 6 bottles of each , every time...and they rarely last the month out....

GREAT! Thanks for sharing this -- Spiedie sauce gets harder to fing the farther south you go.

Hey everyone as a service to others please list WHERE you are able to buy the sauces EXAMPLE: Ingles Markets, 100 Anystreet, Mytown, TN USA
    chezkatie
    • Total Posts : 1329
    RE: "Spiedie's" Sandwiches/Subs 2003/08/25 15:26:58 (permalink)
    We always have the speidi sauce on hand........have our family members bring it down from central New York. One of our favorite ways of using this is to marinade chicken parts in it (in fridge) for 24 hours and then cook on the grill..........it smells just wonderful and tastes just as good as it smells!!!!
    redtressed
    • Total Posts : 1017
    RE: "Spiedie's" Sandwiches/Subs 2003/08/26 12:23:02 (permalink)
    In Morgantown, West Virginia, the sauces are availiable at Bi-Lo Grocery located on Collins Ferry Road
    scottmahaffy
    Junior Burger
    RE: "Spiedie's" Sandwiches/Subs 2003/09/03 22:21:55 (permalink)
    REPLY to post quoted below:
    I am NOT nor have I ever been affiliated with Rob Salamida Co. except for being a great fan of his product and his company - not to mention his personal grateful attitude toward his customers. Also I LOVE to stop and eat at LUPOS when ever I am back in New York States southern region. NO BIAS HERE, except for my passion for SPIEDIES!

(Original quote)
    Scott:
    Either you are in the employ of Rob Salamida, or you are deeply biased against Lupo's Spiedies and their sauce. Spiedies are wonderful things. Whether you use Salamida's, or Lupo's or make your own!
    scottmahaffy
    Junior Burger
    RE: "Spiedie's" Sandwiches/Subs 2003/09/03 22:46:06 (permalink)
    SPIEDIE's HIT ATLANTA Georgia Area -

http://www.insidegwinnett.com/archive/1_03_Food_spiedie%20Grill.htm

http://www.spiediegrill.com

Spiedie Grill open in Atlanta!! I also know Salamida Original State fair Spiedie sauce is available at most INGLES MARKETS around the south.

PLEASE NOTE: I have not visited this restaurant yet -- but as soon as I do I will give you a full report!
    PLEASE POST ANY ESTABLISHMENTS THAT YOU KNOW THAT SERVE SPIEDIES and don't forget to list places where you can get the sauces too!
    lleechef
    Sirloin
    • Total Posts : 6767
    RE: "Spiedie's" Sandwiches/Subs 2003/09/04 14:32:24 (permalink)
    Spiedies........yummmm!!! My best friend in Boston was from the Binghamton area and every time she went to visit her folks she'd come back with bottles and bottles of the stuff. Haven't had one since moving to Alaska..now I have a craving for a spiedie!
    Rimbaud37
    Junior Burger
    • Total Posts : 1
    RE: "Spiedie's" Sandwiches/Subs 2003/09/04 20:04:43 (permalink)
    You can make your own spiedie marinade. I like to cube chicken breasts and let them sit two day in the marinade before grilling.

2-3 pounds chicken breast cubed.
    6 oz extra virgina olive oil
    6 oz marsala wine or sherry
    4 oz balsamic vinegar
    0.5 teaspoons of Salt
    1 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes
    1 teaspoon oregeno
    1 teaspoon basil
    1 clove of garlic ( I use elephant garlic)

I use a food processor to mix everyhing but the chicken together. To release the flavor of the spices, roll them between you palms to crush them. As I say, mix all ingreadients but the chicken together in the food processor. Place the chicken in a non-reactive container ( those cheap plastic tupperwarelike ones from WallyWorld work grand for this} and pour the marinade over the chicken. Refrigerate at least twenty-four hours before cooking. Drain marinade and cook by either grilling or even sauteeing.

About the wine: I like marsala wine to cook with. It works for marinade and pasta sauces. You can use whatever you find to liking. I do caution against using cooking wines as they have salt added and change the tatse more than I like.

seafarer john
    Filet Mignon
    • Total Posts : 3481
    RE: "Spiedie's" Sandwiches/Subs 2003/10/23 22:52:55 (permalink)
    Driving east on NY Rt 17 today we decided to get off in Binghamton and try to find a spiedie for lunch. We were directed by a nice lady
    to the OLD WORLD DELI on Water st . No spedies there - but the guy at the cash register directed us to LUPO'S on State St. Good fast friendly service and a pork spedie on a foot long hero roll that was delicious.

Question: Is Rob Salamida co. a restaurant, and how about directions from 17 to get a spiedie with that sauce in Binghamton?
    Paulie
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 119
    RE: "Spiedie's" Sandwiches/Subs 2003/10/24 10:49:57 (permalink)
    I was in Binghamton last week and tried both the spiedie and the city chicken at Sharkey's. I thought the city chicken was excellent, the spiedie so-so (less flavor than I expected). This was my one and only spiedie experience, however, so I'm a long way from being an expert on the topic, and I'd gladly try again.
    My question involves the recipe for spiedie marinade submitted by a reader. This recipe looks a lot like plain old Italian salad dressing. Can one be used in place of the other? Just wondering...
    scottmahaffy
    Junior Burger
    RE: "Spiedie's" Sandwiches/Subs 2003/10/26 01:31:59 (permalink)
    I have not heard of the place you dined. I recommend Lupo's Char Pit in Endicott (just west of Binghamton) - Although it has been a few years since I last visited, They have a great spiedie - If anyone local to the area knows of others please post them. as far as spiedie sauce resembling that of Italian dressing -- in looks only - in taste - it is as unique as you can get. I again recommend going straight to the master Salamida's ORIGINAL State Fair spiedie sauce - click this link and enjoy!!:

http://www.spiedie.com/Merchant2/merchant.mv?Screen=PROD&Store_Code=SMS&Product_Code=COSS
    quote:
    Originally posted by Paulie

I was in Binghamton last week and tried both the spiedie and the city chicken at Sharkey's. I thought the city chicken was excellent, the spiedie so-so (less flavor than I expected). This was my one and only spiedie experience, however, so I'm a long way from being an expert on the topic, and I'd gladly try again.
    My question involves the recipe for spiedie marinade submitted by a reader. This recipe looks a lot like plain old Italian salad dressing. Can one be used in place of the other? Just wondering...
    scottmahaffy
    Junior Burger
    RE: "Spiedie's" Sandwiches/Subs 2003/10/26 01:38:06 (permalink)
    John- Im glad you liked Lupo's! As far as Salamida's they as far as I know do not have a spiedie stand, although many spiedie stands use the Salamida Original state fair spiedie sauces. Lupo's used to use it (Salamidas) as well - but I have learned they started making thier own sauces now. I will contact Rob Salimida for more information and post it here as soon as I hear back.
    quote:
    Originally posted by seafarer john

Driving east on NY Rt 17 today we decided to get off in Binghamton and try to find a spiedie for lunch. We were directed by a nice lady
    to the OLD WORLD DELI on Water st . No spedies there - but the guy at the cash register directed us to LUPO'S on State St. Good fast friendly service and a pork spedie on a foot long hero roll that was delicious.

Question: Is Rob Salamida co. a restaurant, and how about directions from 17 to get a spiedie with that sauce in Binghamton?
    scottmahaffy
    Junior Burger
    RE: "Spiedie's" Sandwiches/Subs 2003/10/26 10:35:31 (permalink)
    In response to Seafarer John and Paulie -- I immediately wrote Rob Salamida on Sunday morning around 1 a.m. in the morning, the next morning around 10:00am I checked my e-mail and Rob had already responded. Now if that isn't showing great concern and respect for the customer - I don't know what is!! Try getting that from any 9-5 M-F National Company. I am posting my email, and Rob's Response below as I feel it may be of service to some of you as well --NOTE: Rob mentions WEGMANS Supermarket ( http://www.wegmans.com/ ) as serving spiedies in His sauce - I have been there and have purchased the GALLON size Jug of the spiedie sauce in the condiment isle - so if you are there - pick a jug up and save some money as an alternative to buying the smaller 16oz. bottles The wegmans he is talking about is: http://www.wegmans.com/about/storeLocator/display.asp?store_nbr=73 - Thanks Scott

********************EMAIL COPY BELOW THIS LINE***********************
    Sunday, October 26, 2003 12:54 AM

Dear Rob Salamida,

A while back I started a public message board at roadfood.com about spiedies : http://www.roadfood.com/forums/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=215

I have a question I was wondering if you could help me answer - Does your company have any "Official" spiedie stand recommendations around the Binghamton area that use your product? Is there any stands you prefer and would recommend to the readers of the forum?

Do you ship the GALLON sized jugs of State Fair Spiedie sauce? ( I use it in bulk - 3-4 small bottles at a time.)

Thank you again for such a GREAT product! I am honored to spread the word of spiedies to the world via my forum at roadfood.com - gaining converts - "One grill at a time!"

Thank You Again-

Scott Mahaffy

- - - - - - - -Rob Salamidas Responce (QUOTED UNEDITED) - - - - - - -

Sun, 26 Oct 2003 08:25:58 -0500

Hi Scott,

Thanks for you email.

We do ship gallons of our sauces. Best thing to do is to call the 800 # and get the pricing since we have to carefully pack the gallons. Even though they are plastic, UPS likes to see if they can test our ability to pack them.

The only restaurant that we make our spiedie sauce for in Binghamton has been Wegmans. They have an upscale food court in their grocery store which is right across from the mall.

Other local eateries may use our sauce but are buying it from wholesale distributors.

We did get a write up in June in MONEY Magazine. They featured our Spiedie Sauce along with other unique food items across the country. Then in the same month one of the guys who uses our Chicken BBQ Sauce touted the sauce as being his secret recipe in Gourmet Magazine. No photo like we got in Money Mag. but it was still a kick.

BTW, we also make our sauces in half gallons and in 32 oz. jugs. And we have been making a wild game marinade for many years that is similar to our Spiedie Sauce. Our website is being revamped an should be looking much better in a few weeks.

Thanks for your support....and I love that line: One Grill At A Time.

Rob Salamida
    info@spidie.com

----------------------End Original Message---------------------------

Sorry for the huge length of this post - Hope it helped - Scott
    seafarer john
    Filet Mignon
    • Total Posts : 3481
    RE: "Spiedie's" Sandwiches/Subs 2003/10/26 13:16:17 (permalink)
    Thanks Scott: cleared up a mystery for me as to where to get the "real original genuine Salamida Spiedie" - there apparently aint no such thing - so it's every man for himself and I'll have no compunctions about experimenting with some sauces to put on my homemade spiedies as i find the ones I've had otherwise to be a bit on the dry side.
    scottmahaffy
    Junior Burger
    RE: "Spiedie's" Sandwiches/Subs 2003/10/26 23:32:49 (permalink)
    Salamida's doesnt make spiedies just the marinade - buy it at http://www.spiedie.com . As for the "Real Original Genuine Salamida Spidie" -- Rob Salamida invented it so its as original as you are going to get. ( and as far as I am concerned the ONLY one) You can get one made with the sauce at Wegmans food markets in the Binghamton area as stated in Robs posted letter. As for the dryness problem, make sure to marinate the meat in the sauce for at least 24 Hours and avoid overcooking. Also save a quarter bottle of the marinade from the bottle to pour over the meat as it is served. GoodLuck - Scot
    quote:
    Originally posted by seafarer john

Thanks Scott: cleared up a mystery for me as to where to get the "real original genuine Salamida Spiedie" - there apparently aint no such thing - so it's every man for himself and I'll have no compunctions about experimenting with some sauces to put on my homemade spiedies as i find the ones I've had otherwise to be a bit on the dry side.
    Page: 12345 > Showing page 1 of 5
    Jump to:
    © 2014 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1