raw shrimp?

Author
chef joe
Hamburger
  • Total Posts : 57
2005/06/10 01:03:34 (permalink)

raw shrimp?

Anyone ever know anyone that ate raw shrimp? I just got in from catering an engagement party for 12. I had broiled citrus shrimp with corn fritters, chateau, maytag redskins, green beans & anchovies, choc. crepes, etc. champagne, lot of wine, etc. This young lady asks me if I have any raw shrimp, I tell her "Yeah, I have them", she wants six of them. Now these are U12's from Bon Secour - the best, so I wash off the ancho, jalopeno's, roasted elephant garlic, etc. and she hits them with some Crystal hot sauce and eats them like peanuts, then asks for six more. I try one! Not for me, but if you were starving - ok! She says in California raw food is in, I don't know about this. Have any of you guys heard of this? I tried to see if her teeth were pointed, no luck, but she walked in front of a mirror and there was no reflection - who knows? Anyway, here's the kicker - she wanted the Chateau med - well. I think that sometimes people try to be so different that it's without any rhyme or reason. Had to drop this line, it's eating at me. Chef Joe!

29 Replies Related Threads

BT
    Filet Mignon
    • Total Posts : 3589
    RE: raw shrimp? 2005/06/10 03:56:54 (permalink)
    Well, she's right about the raw food fad in CA. But usually they are talking about vegetables. If anybody's eating raw shrimp, I'd suspect the Japanese but I'm trying to recall if I've ever seen raw shrimp in a sushi bar--and I can't. Cooked shrimp are common enough on sushi, but not raw even though, of course, lots of fish is eaten that way.
    UncleVic
    Sirloin
    • Total Posts : 6025
    RE: raw shrimp? 2005/06/10 04:34:40 (permalink)
    Pointed teeth ehh... Should have served her the UN-Deveined stuff... with a bloody mary to go...
    -Tricky-
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 305
    RE: raw shrimp? 2005/06/10 07:41:25 (permalink)
    I've heard of the raw food trend, but never raw shrimp. I think she might have just been confused and trying too hard.
    Sundancer7
    Fire Safety Admin
    • Total Posts : 13524
    RE: raw shrimp? 2005/06/10 07:59:08 (permalink)
    I had a friend who served in the Peace Corp in the remote islands of the Phillipines. He snorkled daily, caught raw fish, lobster and several other species and ate them raw. He enjoyed it and it apparently did no damage to him as that was 15 years ago.

If you think about it some sushi and sashimi utilize raw saltwater fish, shrimp, prawn, tuna and etc.

http://www.rain.org/~hutch/sashimi.html

Paul E. Smith
    Knoxville, TN
    bassrocker4u2
    Double Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 534
    RE: raw shrimp? 2005/06/10 08:00:10 (permalink)
    hhmmmm....was she a blonde???
    jellybear
    Double Chili Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 1135
    RE: raw shrimp? 2005/06/10 08:25:35 (permalink)
    Just another weirdo Californian trying to be cool.We use raw shrimp to catch fish here.
    Rick F.
    • Total Posts : 1736
    RE: raw shrimp? 2005/06/10 10:16:25 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by -Tricky-

I've heard of the raw food trend, but never raw shrimp. I think she might have just been confused and trying too hard.
    The only way I qualify as a "Professional" here is as a consumer, but I have to say that I like my fish cooked, darn it, and I'm not particularly fond of carpaccio. For me it's not a health issue but one of flavor. I think that cooking adds to the complexity of the food in question. (Or maybe I'm just a fuddy-duddy, which possibility I cheerfully admit.)
    Sundancer7
    Fire Safety Admin
    RE: raw shrimp? 2005/06/10 10:54:14 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by Rick F.

quote:
    Originally posted by -Tricky-

The only way I qualify as a "Professional" here is as a consumer, but I have to say that I like my fish cooked, darn it, and I'm not particularly fond of carpaccio. For me it's not a health issue but one of flavor. I think that cooking adds to the complexity of the food in question. (Or maybe I'm just a fuddy-duddy, which possibility I cheerfully admit.)

Some like chocolate and some like vanilla. The Sundancer is a little particular himself. My friend that did the Peace Corp in the Phillipines like his saltwalter fish and other species raw. I have no qualms with that. That is a matter of taste. Regarding Carpaccio, that ain't for me but I do enjoy sushi and sashimi.

Paul E. Smith
    Knoxville, TN
    SouthHillbilly
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 295
    RE: raw shrimp? 2005/06/10 11:13:53 (permalink)
    I've been in a lot of sushi places all over the country and in other countries, but I've never seen raw shrimp being served or mentioned.
    Sundancer7
    Fire Safety Admin
    RE: raw shrimp? 2005/06/10 11:25:02 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by SouthHillbilly

I've been in a lot of sushi places all over the country and in other countries, but I've never seen raw shrimp being served or mentioned.

How about prawn??????????????

That is a very common kinfolks to shrimp. Prawn as mentioned in the above website is very common and used frequently. In Knoxville, although we are somewhat backward in our sushi and sashimi menus also has raw shrimp that is raw.

I do not enjoy all that is raw but I am aware that it is available. In addition I am also aware that many enjoy what I do not.

Paul E. Smith
    Knoxville, TN
    dreamzpainter
    • Total Posts : 1609
    RE: raw shrimp? 2005/06/10 13:20:11 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by jellybear

Just another weirdo Californian trying to be cool.We use raw shrimp to catch fish here.
    same here... although I have had sunbaked shrimp, a stainless steel winch plate surrounded by white fiberglass will cook shrimp as fast as a skillet
    Lone Star
    • Total Posts : 1730
    RE: raw shrimp? 2005/06/10 14:15:24 (permalink)
    Isn't Ceviche raw shrimp?
    Michael Hoffman
    Double-chop Porterhouse
    • Total Posts : 18691
    RE: raw shrimp? 2005/06/10 14:21:08 (permalink)
    Shrimp and/or fish. Scallops, too.
    jinjo76
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 204
    RE: raw shrimp? 2005/06/10 15:25:25 (permalink)
    Ama ebi

http://www.origamirestaurant.com/sushi/sushi_ama_ebi.html
    Scallion1
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 418
    RE: raw shrimp? 2005/06/16 01:31:25 (permalink)
    I happened to browse in Nobu's cookbook, "Nobu Now" today. He has a recipe for raw chopped shrimp. I can't recall the details, but you can take it to the bank that if Nobu puts it in a cookbook it's a stone winner.

I will say, however, that I was more attracted to another recipe where he chops raw shrimp and scallops and some kind of seaweed into a paste and then molds it around a bamboo skewer and deepfries it. Sounds like the world's best tasting and healthiest corn dog, only better.
    mar52
    Sirloin
    • Total Posts : 8109
    RE: raw shrimp? 2005/06/16 01:44:51 (permalink)
    I've eaten them in Sushi restaurants. If you order the shrimp heads that are deep fried like softshelled crag, you are also served the tails.... raw.

They might be called Sweet Shrimp. I like the heads, but don't care for the tails. I don't like the taste or the consistancy.

Have to eat them though or you insult the sushi chef.
    GordonW
    Double Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 924
    RE: raw shrimp? 2005/06/16 01:57:54 (permalink)
    quote:
    Posted - 06/10/2005 : 07:59:08
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I had a friend who served in the Peace Corp in the remote islands of the Phillipines. He snorkled daily, caught raw fish, lobster and several other species and ate them raw. He enjoyed it and it apparently did no damage to him as that was 15 years ago.

I've done this. Probably in the kinalao/kinilau style, like seviche.

-Tricky-
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 305
    RE: raw shrimp? 2005/06/16 11:12:51 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by Lone Star

Isn't Ceviche raw shrimp?

Ceviche isn't truly raw, though. It has been "cooked" by the lime juice used in the marinade.

From epicurious.com [emphasis added]
    quote:
    seviche [seh-VEE-chee, seh-VEE-cheh, seh-VEESH]
    An appetizer popular in Latin America consisting of raw fish marinated in citrus (usually lime) juice. The action of the acid in the lime juice "cooks" the fish, thereby firming the flesh and turning it opaque. Onions, tomatoes and green peppers are often added to the marinade. Only very fresh fish should be used for this dish. POMPANO, red SNAPPER and SOLE are the fish most often selected for seviche (which is also spelled ceviche and cebiche ).

Scallion1
    Cheeseburger
    RE: raw shrimp? 2005/06/16 13:11:10 (permalink)
    Well, there's "cooked" and there's "cooked". For sure the acid sets the proteins, firming them up. But I'm not so sure that it will kill bacteria the way actual thermal cooking will. I'm not squeamish at all - I'll chomp on choice morsels of veal, beef or lamb while I'm butchering - and I've never had any kind of food-borne illness (fingers crossing fervently) but I'd sure as hell never eat raw fresh-water fish.

Of course, and I know that the legions will be raising their swords, I don't have much use for fresh-water fish in any case, except for smoked whitefish.

Not all of the bad stuff in fish is killed by cooking, either. I was appalled last week to see that some authority, I believe it was the Monterey Aquarium, suggested not eating ANY wild striped bass, which is my favorite fin fish, because it's still full of PCBs and/or dioxin, which dear old General Electric dumped in the Hudson River ages ago. And the swordfish/mercury scare, etc. But now there's evidence that aquaculture has some equally horrid results, including pollution and corruption of the gene pools.

Carrots anyone?
    Michael Hoffman
    Double-chop Porterhouse
    RE: raw shrimp? 2005/06/16 13:16:33 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by Scallion1

Of course, and I know that the legions will be raising their swords, I don't have much use for fresh-water fish in any case, except for smoked whitefish.

I take it you've not eaten much walleye, saugeye, yellow perch, bluegill, crappie, striped bass, brook trout, brown trout, steelhead, coho salmon, Chinook salmon or lake trout, to name just a few excellent tasting freshwater fish.
    Scallion1
    Cheeseburger
    RE: raw shrimp? 2005/06/16 13:30:52 (permalink)
    I've eaten some of them, although to me striped bass is a marine animal, and I'm just not fond of them. They don't seem to have the flavor - in my most humble opinion - of a good sea-going fish. Give me tuna, or striper, or swordfish, or bluefish, or halibut any day. BUT THAT'S JUST MY OPINION!!!
    mayor al
    Fire Safety Admin
    • Total Posts : 15307
    RE: raw shrimp? 2005/06/16 14:26:59 (permalink)
    Michael,
    You forgotC A T F I S H !!
    EdSails
    Filet Mignon
    • Total Posts : 4090
    RE: raw shrimp? 2005/06/16 15:00:43 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by mar52

I've eaten them in Sushi restaurants. If you order the shrimp heads that are deep fried like softshelled crag, you are also served the tails.... raw.

They might be called Sweet Shrimp. I like the heads, but don't care for the tails. I don't like the taste or the consistancy.

Have to eat them though or you insult the sushi chef.

Yes, they are called Sweet Shrimp and they are delicious!
    Michael Hoffman
    Double-chop Porterhouse
    RE: raw shrimp? 2005/06/16 15:18:11 (permalink)
    I sure did. While I love to eat catfish, I hate catching them because they usually catch me.
    Pancho
    Double Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 915
    RE: raw shrimp? 2005/06/16 18:36:35 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by chef joe

Anyone ever know anyone that ate raw shrimp? I just got in from catering an engagement party for 12. I had broiled citrus shrimp with corn fritters, chateau, maytag redskins, green beans & anchovies, choc. crepes, etc. champagne, lot of wine, etc. This young lady asks me if I have any raw shrimp, I tell her "Yeah, I have them", she wants six of them. Now these are U12's from Bon Secour - the best, so I wash off the ancho, jalopeno's, roasted elephant garlic, etc. and she hits them with some Crystal hot sauce and eats them like peanuts, then asks for six more. I try one! Not for me, but if you were starving - ok! She says in California raw food is in, I don't know about this. Have any of you guys heard of this? I tried to see if her teeth were pointed, no luck, but she walked in front of a mirror and there was no reflection - who knows? Anyway, here's the kicker - she wanted the Chateau med - well. I think that sometimes people try to be so different that it's without any rhyme or reason. Had to drop this line, it's eating at me. Chef Joe!
    It's eating on me as well, Chef Joe. Enough to take me out to dinner! Seriously, raw shrimp is quite common at sushi joints here and other places. What is a "maytag" redskin? I know a potato, but.....I like the thought of green beans and anchovies. Do you ever to like a "Salad Nicose" I know spelling is f'd up. Excuse my French, bon ton.
    chef joe
    Hamburger
    RE: raw shrimp? 2005/06/16 23:10:48 (permalink)
    Hey Pancho,
    Really enjoy Nicoise Salads, used to be the Sous Chef at a place in Philly called Cobblestone's, it was one of our top sellers back in the day. Maytag Redskins are skin on redskin creamers, boiled for a few minutes - barely cooked. Let them sit until room temp., slice and saute in a touch of clarified butter with thinly sliced red onions, a little fresh rosemary, paprika, white pepper & salt, you want the potatoes to get crusty, so don't overload the pan, crumble some Maytag Blue Cheese on top and place under the broiler until the blue melts and bubbles. The green beans are 5 mins. - to the boil, drain, then throw them in ice water, drain again, saute the beans in olive oil, Fresh Italian Parsley & Basil, minced garlic, s&p for two mins, then at the very end add some finely minced anchovies and the anchovie oil, the anchovies will emulsify, grate some fresh parm/reggiano over top, that's it, I call it Green Beans Belsito, after a friend of mine.
    It's a can of flat anchovies to 2#s of beans. Good Luck - Chef Joe!
    chef joe
    Hamburger
    RE: raw shrimp? 2005/06/16 23:20:31 (permalink)
    Hey Pancho,
    I forgot the garlic, 4 large cloves per pound, sliced paper thin, like Big Paulie did in Good fellas, you want it to emulsify just like the anchovies. Chef Joe!
    BchBar
    Junior Burger
    • Total Posts : 8
    RE: raw shrimp? 2005/06/17 09:34:13 (permalink)

The only raw shrimp I've ever seen is the "Ebi" or small sweet raw shrimp in a sushi bar. For me, I love sushi and the rest but I'm not sure I'd eat raw the shrimp we buy to boil.. probably fine but....
    Michael Hoffman
    Double-chop Porterhouse
    RE: raw shrimp? 2005/06/17 09:59:19 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by Scallion1

I've eaten some of them, although to me striped bass is a marine animal, and I'm just not fond of them. They don't seem to have the flavor - in my most humble opinion - of a good sea-going fish. Give me tuna, or striper, or swordfish, or bluefish, or halibut any day. BUT THAT'S JUST MY OPINION!!!

While I certainly enjoy saltwater-caught stripers, and I've been catching them and eating them for more than 60 years, I do not find any difference in taste when it comes to sea-run and freshwater stripers. I love most of the various tunas, bluefish, dolphin (wimps call it mahi mahi or dorado), grouper, the various mackerels (Spanish, kingfish, wahoo), skate, cobia, etc. They are certainly different from the fish of fresh water, but then, venison is different from bear, and I like them both.
    Jump to:
    © 2014 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1