The most memorable local eateries along the highways and back roads of America
Sign In | Register for Free!
Restaurants Recipes Forums EatingTours Merchandise FAQ Maps Insider

re: thanks jane and michael---all time top ten!

Change Page: < 123 > | Showing page 2 of 3, messages 31 to 60 of 75
buffetbuster

RE: re: thanks jane and michael---all time top ten! Mon, 10/23/06 2:26 PM (permalink)
It has been 3 1/2 years since I created my previous top 10 list. And since I have been to over 250 Roadfood places from the books or website since then, I thought it was time to make a new one. Strictly alphabetically:

1) Bobcat Bite - Santa Fe. Love those green chile cheeseburgers!

2) Bohemian Cafe - Omaha. Great atmosphere and the only restaurant I know that has plum dumplings, my favorite dish of my grandmother's, on the menu.

3) The Clam Box - Ipswich, Mass. Ate there on the Roadfood bus tour last year, which made the experience even better. Awesome building and the best fried clams I've ever had.

4) Gray Brothers Cafeteria - Mooresville, Ind. I can't tell you how happy eating here makes me. A huge selection and I have yet to be disappointed by anything, especially the sides and the pies. This is the one place I will happily stand in line.

5) Hob Nob Hill - San Diego. Other than local places, I have eaten here more than any other Roadfood place and no meal has been less than perfect. From the service to the high quality of the food, I couldn't ask more a better place to have breakfast. Don't miss their daily coffee cake and muffin.

6) Keaton's - Statesville, NC. From the very first bite of their chicken, you know you are in the presence of greatness. The odd thing is, before eating here, I have never really been a fan of barbecued chicken. This place is what Roadfood is all about for me.

7) Maddox Ranch House - Perry, Utah. Since it has been over six years since I last ate there, I do wonder if I mythologize this place too much. But from start to finish, I had the best two meals of my life here.

8) Mendenhall Hotel Revolving Tables - Mendenhall, Mississippi. I was so sorry to hear this place had closed. One of the first Roadfood places I visited and one of my fondest memories.

9) Rancho de Chimayo - Chimayo, NM. Great food in a beautiful, romantic place.

10) Uglesich's - Another place that has apparently closed for good. Talking food with Anthony Uglesich was every bit as enjoyable as eating his amazing food.

Ones just missing the cut are Cafe Latte (MN), Tony Luke's (PA), Lexington #1 (NC), Sweatman's (SC) and Homemade Ice Cream and Pie Kitchen (KY).

I would love to see more lists from everyone!

mayor al

• Total Posts: 15073
    • Roadfood Insider
    RE: re: thanks jane and michael---all time top ten! Mon, 10/23/06 3:50 PM (permalink)
    Boy, That takes us back a few years...AND a lot of miles!

I would Add a couple to the top List.

1A. DILLARD HOUSE, DILLARD,GEORGIA- Great Family Style Meals in a beautiful rural Georgia Mountain environment.

2. LOUIS MUELLER BBQ- UPDATE- My business card is indeed still on the wall.(14 years now) We will replace or add a new one during the Feb. 2007 Glee Club Gathering in Austin,TX

3.MOAB DINER- MOAB, UTAH Nothing special about the appearance of the place, but great roadfood chow at very moderate prices. A wonderful place to 'refuel' after (or before) a day in ARCHES or CANYONLANDS National Parks.

I will edit this post shortly after reviewing my notes of the 2005 and 2006 roadtrip reports.

wanderingjew

• Total Posts: 7410
      • Roadfood Insider
      RE: re: thanks jane and michael---all time top ten! Mon, 10/23/06 8:26 PM (permalink)
      Ya know, at first I thought it would be impossible to put together an all time top 10 list. I actually put together a list of over 50 restaurants, which I thoroughly enjoyed throughout the years, then knocked that list down to 15 and finally to 10

Here it is in no particular order"

1.Dreamland BBQ, Tuscaloosa AL- BBQ that is truly better than

2. The White Way, Durant IA- The best Iowa Chop ever! Along with a killer salad bar and Sour Cream Raisin Pie. I sadly lament the loss of this place.

3. Joe's Stone Crab, Miami Beach, FL- Roadfood? Absolutely. Nuggets of Sweet Stone Crab meat and a decadent Key Lime Pie. Shelling out $100 for a meal here is a pleasure I never regretted.

4. Mother's- New Orleans, LA- I am so glad that this gem was spared by Hurricane Katrina, although saddenned by the devestation that occured on the Gulf Coast. If I could eat here everyday, I would.

5. Stroud's- Kansas City, MO- Although the original location is gone (and hopefully will be replaced) The Fried Chicken, Cinammon Rolls and Cottage Fries were unforgettable.

6. M & J's Sanitary Tortilla Factory- Albuquerque, NM- Another place that is gone but not forgotten. The fiery Carne Adovada Burrito and Sopapilla's will live on in my memory forever.

7. 2nd Avenue Deli/Carnegie Deli (Tie)- New York, NY- Both are/were equally outstanding. The Carnegie gets the nod for the Cheesecake and Mustard and The 2nd Avenue for the Matzoh Ball Soup.

8. Coffee Cup Grille- Charlotte, NC- I am so glad to see that the Sterns' latest review reveals that this southern meat n three institution is just as good as ever, I kind of figured it was.

9. 82 Queen Street, Charleston, SC- This establishment Defines Charleston- Shrimp n Grits and She Crab soup. What more can I say?

10. Hoover's- Austin, TX- There was a reason why I returned to this place, not once, not twice, but three times on my visit to Austin. The holy trio- Chicken Fried Steak, Mashed Potatoes and Jalapeno Creamed Spinach

buffetbuster

RE: re: thanks jane and michael---all time top ten! Tue, 10/24/06 7:03 AM (permalink)
        wanderingjew-
        Nice list! After reading what you have to say about The White Way, I am very disappointed that I never had the chance to eat there. And I forgot about Hoover's, which I love! It should be on my honorable mentions, if not my top ten.

wanderingjew

• Roadfood Insider
          RE: re: thanks jane and michael---all time top ten! Tue, 10/24/06 6:10 PM (permalink)
          quote:
          Originally posted by buffetbuster

wanderingjew-
          Nice list! After reading what you have to say about The White Way, I am very disappointed that I never had the chance to eat there. And I forgot about Hoover's, which I love! It should be on my honorable mentions, if not my top ten.

Buffetbuster, the White Way was outstanding. The thickest tastiest, juiciest Pork Chop served with mushroom gravy and a side of homemade crispy hash browns. The salad bar was a sight to see, everything from Pea Salad to Jello Salad and everything in between.
          When I put together my list of the most memorable 50 restaurants I narrowed it down to 15, so I guess the 5 honorable mentions would go to:
          1- The Golden Ox- Kansas City MO- Kansas City Strip Steak
          2- Nick Tahou's- Rochester NY- Garbage Plate
          3- Payne's- Memphis TN- Pulled Pork Sandwich and BBQ Beans
          4- Dot's Restaurant- Wilmington VT- Berry Berry Pancakes
          5- Spud Fish n Chips- Seattle WA- Fish n Chips better than any I've
          ever had here in New England

stanpnepa

• Total Posts: 577
            RE: re: thanks jane and michael---all time top ten! Tue, 04/17/07 11:17 PM (permalink)
            Since my original post is four years old, I guess it's time for a revised list. Out of roughly 190 Roadfood restaurants, I could narrow it down to sixteen---one for roughly each year I've been following the blessed palates and teachings of Jane and Michael Stern. In alphabetical order:

AL'S #1 ITALIAN BEEF, Chicago, IL
            ALLIE'S DONUTS, N. Kingstown, RI
            BENDTSEN'S BAKERY, Racine, WI
            BLUE HEAVEN, Key West, FL
            CAFE DU MONDE, New Orleans, LA
            THE CLAM SHACK, Kennebunkport, ME
            DURAN CENTRAL PHARMACY, Albuquerque, NM.
            EDDIE'S, New Orleans, LA
            GARRETT'S POPCORN SHOP, Chicago, IL.
            MOTHER'S, New Orleans, LA
            NICK TAHOU HOTS, Rochester, NY
            SNAPPY LUNCH, Mount Airy, NC.
            SRI LANKAN CURRY HOUSE, Minneapolis, MN
            SWAN OYSTER DEPOT, San Francisco, CA
            TONY LUKE'S, Philadelphia, PA
            WHITE HOUSE SUB SHOP, Atlantic City, NJ

Honorable mentions: Wilber's Barbecue (Goldsboro, NC), Four Seas Ice Cream (Centerville, MA), Miss Hulling's Cafeteria (St. Louis, MO), Cafe Sicilia (Gloucester, MA), Parkside Candy (Buffalo, NY), Rutt's Hut (Clifton, NJ) and Libby's Lunch (Paterson, NJ)

buffetbuster

RE: re: thanks jane and michael---all time top ten! Sun, 10/28/07 9:47 PM (permalink)
              While my cousin Johnny and I were on vacation last week, I asked him to come up with his all-time top ten list. He has been to over 300 Roadfood places, but doesn't post here (he works WAY too many hours), so I am doing it for him. Listings are strictly alphabetical:

1) Bobcat Bite - Santa Fe, NM
              2) Blue Willow Inn - Social Circle, GA
              3) Dinner Bell - McCombs, MS
              4) Inn at Pleasant Hill - Harrodsburg, KY
              5) Goulash Place - Danbury, CT
              6) Hob Nob Hill - San Diego, CA
              7) Maddox Ranch House - Perry, UT
              8) Pancake Pantry - Nashville, TN
              9) Polly's Pancake Parlor - Sugar Hill, NH
              10) Winchester Cafe - Livingston, MT

lleechef

• Total Posts: 6257
                RE: re: thanks jane and michael---all time top ten! Tue, 10/30/07 6:21 PM (permalink)
                Nice lists everyone! Obviously being in AK we don't poke our noses out of here very often. But if we lived in the Lower 48 we'd have lists and lists of eateries, diners and just good places to chow down. But many thanks to Jane and Michael for turning us all on to Roadfood!

Poverty Pete

• Total Posts: 2266
                  RE: re: thanks jane and michael---all time top ten! Tue, 10/30/07 8:16 PM (permalink)
                  I just drew up my list, and was surprised to find that three out of ten were in Kansas City. I don't really think of KC as a great food town, but there it is.
                  In no particular order...
                  Stroud's fried chicken in KC
                  Barney Greengrass in NYC for breakfast
                  Hob Nob Hill in San Diego for a smoked pork chop breakfast
                  Swan's Oyster Depot in San Francisco
                  Jess 'n Jim's steakhouse in KC
                  Maine Diner in Wells, Maine
                  Mosca's, just south of New Orleans
                  Arthur Bryant's in KC
                  Three Brothers in Milwaukee
                  Anyplace in America with Al, Janet, Paul, Bushie and all my Roadfood pals

buffetbuster

RE: re: thanks jane and michael---all time top ten! Tue, 10/30/07 8:32 PM (permalink)
                    Poverty Pete-
                    Great list! I feel like I have missed out, since I have never had the smoked pork chop breakfast at Hob Nob Hill.

ayersian

RE: re: thanks jane and michael---all time top ten! Tue, 10/30/07 8:33 PM (permalink)
                      What a fun challenge! Okay, here's our top 10 in no particular order...

1. Pepe's, New Haven, CT
                      2. Owl Bar, San Antonio, NM
                      3. Lexington BBQ, Lexington, NC
                      4. The Cottage, La Jolla, CA
                      5. Joe's BBQ and Fish, Nashville, TN
                      6. The Beacon, Spartanburg, SC
                      7. Red's Eats, Wiscasset, ME
                      8. Cattleman's Steakhouse, Oklahoma City, OK
                      9. Woodman's of Essex, Essex, MA
                      10. Colony Grill, Stamford, CT

There just wasn't any room in here to list desserts, so that will need to be a separate forum topic!

Poverty Pete

RE: re: thanks jane and michael---all time top ten! Tue, 10/30/07 8:43 PM (permalink)
                        quote:

Poverty Pete-
                        Great list! I feel like I have missed out, since I have never had the smoked pork chop breakfast at Hob Nob Hill.

Cliff, you gotta be joking, right? The smoked pork chop is the best meal in the house.

buffetbuster

RE: re: thanks jane and michael---all time top ten! Tue, 10/30/07 9:04 PM (permalink)
                          Poverty Pete-
                          Now you tell me! I've been there approximately ten times and it must seemingly be the only breakfast item I haven't tried so far.

Big Ugly Mich

• Total Posts: 1302
                            RE: re: thanks jane and michael---all time top ten! Tue, 10/30/07 9:35 PM (permalink)
                            quote:
                            Originally posted by dte3672 Does anyone know if the Dixie Truck Stop (#10) is still there?
                            As of last August, when I stopped there on the way home from the Illinois State Fair, yes. Sadly, I lost the film I took a picture of it with. ~~~~ (tears) I have some more shots I took at the fair proper at http://www.flickr.com My screen name is Big_Ugly_Mich there.

mayor al

• Roadfood Insider
                              RE: re: thanks jane and michael---all time top ten! Tue, 10/30/07 9:58 PM (permalink)

We stopped at the Dixie Truck Stop a week ago on our return trip from Wisconsin. We stocked up on Stuckey's candy for the ride home and had some good coffee. It is as it has been forever, a great roadfood rest stop!

desertdog

• Total Posts: 1946
                                RE: re: thanks jane and michael---all time top ten! Tue, 10/30/07 10:02 PM (permalink)
                                quote:
                                Originally posted by Poverty Pete

I just drew up my list, and was surprised to find that three out of ten were in Kansas City. I don't really think of KC as a great food town, but there it is.
                                In no particular order...
                                Stroud's fried chicken in KC
                                Barney Greengrass in NYC for breakfast
                                Hob Nob Hill in San Diego for a smoked pork chop breakfast
                                Swan's Oyster Depot in San Francisco
                                Jess 'n Jim's steakhouse in KC
                                Maine Diner in Wells, Maine
                                Mosca's, just south of New Orleans
                                Arthur Bryant's in KC
                                Three Brothers in Milwaukee
                                Anyplace in America with Al, Janet, Paul, Bushie and all my Roadfood pals

You don't think of KC as a great food town

Poverty Pete

RE: re: thanks jane and michael---all time top ten! Tue, 10/30/07 10:12 PM (permalink)
                                  Back in the fifties, my uncle Dee owned and operated a cafe at the KC stockyards called the Hog House. He used to serve a one pound burger. To an eight year old, fresh from a Kansas City A's game, a one pound burger looks as big as a flying saucer.

buffetbuster

RE: re: thanks jane and michael---all time top ten! Tue, 10/30/07 10:17 PM (permalink)
                                    ayersin-
                                    Love the list! You have some of my very favorites on there, like Red Eats & Lexington BBQ.

Have you been to The Clam Box? Do you prefer Woodman's to TCB?

Poverty Pete

RE: re: thanks jane and michael---all time top ten! Tue, 10/30/07 10:39 PM (permalink)
                                      Clam Box...Woodman's...Farnham's...I'd be very happy to see any of them in Nashville. Farnham's even serves Moxie.

mayor al

• Location: Louisville area, Southern Indiana
                                        • Roadfood Insider
                                        RE: re: thanks jane and michael---all time top ten! Wed, 10/31/07 2:07 AM (permalink)
                                        Yeah, We could drive Wandering Jew Crazy if one day we were to relocate some of the favorites on the lists here to a single location...Nashville or Tulsa or maybe even Reno...and hold a roadfood get together to hit several of the best each day for a week. Imagine Fried Whole-Belly Clams in Nashville, Shrimp Po'Boys and Gumbo in Reno, or a Lobster Roll in Tulsa. Yep WJ would starve rather than do that !!!

ayersian

RE: re: thanks jane and michael---all time top ten! Wed, 10/31/07 9:59 AM (permalink)
                                          quote:

ayersin-
                                          Love the list! You have some of my very favorites on there, like Red Eats & Lexington BBQ.

Tough choice, BB -- do I have to pick? They're both very, very good and distinctive for Cape Ann fried clams. If I had to choose, then Woodman's...but I love them both. And my stomach is grumbling, just thinking about them...

Davydd

• Total Posts: 6228
                                            RE: re: thanks jane and michael---all time top ten! Wed, 10/31/07 11:13 AM (permalink)
                                            quote:
                                            Originally posted by Al-The Mayor-Bowen

Yeah, We could drive Wandering Jew Crazy if one day we were to relocate some of the favorites on the lists here to a single location...Nashville or Tulsa or maybe even Reno...and hold a roadfood get together to hit several of the best each day for a week. Imagine Fried Whole-Belly Clams in Nashville, Shrimp Po'Boys and Gumbo in Reno, or a Lobster Roll in Tulsa. Yep WJ would starve rather than do that !!!

Yeah, it's a rough life being a Fundamentalist Roadfooder.

wanderingjew

• Location: East Greenwich/ Warwick, RI
                                              • Roadfood Insider
                                              RE: re: thanks jane and michael---all time top ten! Wed, 10/31/07 11:16 AM (permalink)
                                              quote:
                                              Originally posted by Davydd

quote:
                                              Originally posted by Al-The Mayor-Bowen

Yeah, it's a rough life being a Fundamentalist Roadfooder.

Absolutely, although here in RI it's pretty much anything and everything. The only thing I refuse to do here is Mexican and BBQ and that's because it's bad...really...really bad....

mayor al

• Location: Louisville area, Southern Indiana
                                                • Roadfood Insider
                                                RE: re: thanks jane and michael---all time top ten! Wed, 10/31/07 11:43 AM (permalink)
                                                WJ
                                                The one place I visited a couple of times in your area that came from the Stern's book, was the Rocky Point Shore Dining Hall. What a neat experience that was. The food was "OK" or maybe "OK plus", but the concept was linked to an era that I never experienced, so eating their shore dinner and (clear) Clam Chowder was like looking into the past. It was a great experience.

Is there a R.I. specialty in the Mexican food area? Scrod Tacos? Fried Whole-Belly Clam Burritos? They could put a whole new spin on the traditional "Beans and Franks" Saturday Night Supper. I won't mention the Brown Bread.

cecif

• Total Posts: 1412
                                                  RE: re: thanks jane and michael---all time top ten! Wed, 10/31/07 12:35 PM (permalink)
                                                  quote:

ayersin-

Hi guys... My two cents on this one: Clam Box is way above the rest for me, I put Farnhams next and Woodmans third, tied with Lewis'. I hit the others when I have not quite enough time to go further north or it's off-season, of course. Been eating at TCB since I moved here and bought the Sterns' book in 1992. Mmmmmm. But I have never actually managed to finish a whole clam order.

buffetbuster

RE: re: thanks jane and michael---all time top ten! Wed, 10/31/07 1:31 PM (permalink)
                                                    I agree with cecif about the order being The Clam Box, Farnham's and then Woodman's. But to be fair, Woodman's was the fourth place we ate at on the Roadfood bus tour and since we were already quite full, probably didn't get a fair shake.

Duesy

• Total Posts: 63
                                                      • Location: Barboursville, WV
                                                      RE: re: thanks jane and michael---all time top ten! Thu, 11/1/07 1:57 AM (permalink)
                                                      I haven't been to most of the "constants" on your all's lists (Clam Box, Blue Willow Inn, etc., etc.)

Numbered out of habit. Like one's children, I love them equally, just for different reasons.

1) TOM'S PLACE SOUL FOOD--West Palm Beach, FL. Why nobody has posted a review on here yet is beyond me. The world's best ribs, French fries, barbecue sauce, collards, catfish, corn muffins...they really don't serve anything that isn't "the best" in my book.

2) GIORDANO'S--Chicago, IL. I know, more commercial than some, but I still love the stuffed pizza. The chopped salad is wonderful, too.

3) SNAPPY LUNCH--Mt. Airy, NC. A national treasure.

4) COUNTRY CLUB BAKERY--Fairmont, WV. Where my grandmother used to buy her bread; hasn't changed much. The end-all pepperoni roll that sets the standard.

5) COLEMAN'S--Wheeling, WV. Better than any seafood I ever had on the coast.

6) TOM SAWYER'S--Boca Raton, FL. Biscuits and gravy, and fresh-squeezed OJ.

7) HATHAWAY'S COFFEE SHOP--Cincinnati, OH. Honestly, the food didn't impress me, but the atmosphere of the place is terrific. Time stands still.

8) PRIMANTI BROTHERS--anywhere in Pittsburgh, PA. Nothing else like it.

9) GRAETER'S--anywhere in Cincinnati, OH. World's best ice cream, and Cokes still made with syrup and soda water.

10)ELLEN'S ICE CREAM--Charleston, WV. Not being able to make it to Cincinnati too often, this is a fine stand-in for Graeter's. The espresso-Oreo is killer.

danimal15

• Total Posts: 1092
                                                        RE: re: thanks jane and michael---all time top ten! Thu, 11/1/07 12:55 PM (permalink)
                                                        Restaurants with politics one doesn't like is actually a good subject - has it come up before?

I'm thinking in particular of a place in Skokie, Ill., on Touhy Avenue, called New York Bagel and Bialy. This little shop in a strip mall has the best bagels in the Chicago area. The counterman, however, wears a button on his hat that says "Concealed Carry." In other words, he supports a law that would make carrying concealed weapons legal.

Now I don't want to argue with anyone on this topic - my point in bringing it up was to note that although I adamantly disagree with this guy, I haven't stopped going there for bagels. Free expression is fine - though I don't think it's very professional of him to wear that button at work.

stanpnepa

• Total Posts: 577
                                                          • Location: Wyoming (Scranton/Wi, PA
                                                          RE: re: thanks jane and michael---all time top ten! Fri, 11/2/07 2:11 PM (permalink)
                                                          Yesterday, I drove by a sandwich shop in a town I USED to work in. They had very good hoagies, but a few years back the owner/operator had some sort of TV news program on that featured student protests. One of the students was protesting torture in his home nation. The owner for some reason yelled "DIE ***** DIE". To me, it didn't even appear to be a joke (ill advised).

So, because of that, there's no reason for me to support their business. I'm pretty open minded, and eat at places where there are signs for politicians that turn my stomach, but open racism in 2007 is ugly and completely uncalled for.

cecif

• Total Posts: 1412
                                                            • Location: Was MA, now UK
                                                            RE: re: thanks jane and michael---all time top ten! Fri, 11/2/07 3:59 PM (permalink)
                                                            CLAM BOX "warning"...
                                                            Y'all have 5 weeks to hit it this year. They close for the season on December 9th this year. (They're also closed on Tuesdays.)

A little RF clam get-together might be in order before closing... cider donuts at Russell Orchards & clams at TCB. (I know Chris is listening here... WJ??)

(edit: did I miss something?? how did "re: thanks jane and michael---all time top ten!" turn into political reasons not to patronize someplace?!)

Online Bookmarks Sharing: Share/Bookmark
                                                              Change Page: < 123 > | Showing page 2 of 3, messages 31 to 60 of 75

Jump to:

Current active users

There are 0 members and 1 guests.

Icon Legend and Permission

• New Messages
                                                              • No New Messages
                                                              • Hot Topic w/ New Messages
                                                              • Hot Topic w/o New Messages
                                                              • Locked w/ New Messages
                                                              • Locked w/o New Messages
                                                              • Read Message
                                                              • Post New Thread
                                                              • Reply to message
                                                              • Post New Poll
                                                              • Submit Vote
                                                              • Post reward post
                                                              • Delete my own posts
                                                              • Delete my own threads
                                                              • Rate post

2000-2014 ASPPlayground.NET Forum Version 3.9
                                                              What is Roadfood?  |   Privacy Policy  |   Contact Roadfood.com   Copyright 2011 - Roadfood.com