re: thanks jane and michael---all time top ten!

Page: 123 > Showing page 1 of 3
Author
stanpnepa
Double Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 577
2003/03/22 14:54:41 (permalink)

re: thanks jane and michael---all time top ten!

...and thanks to the girl at the Memphis book store ten years ago who said "This Roadfood book is amazing. If you like to eat the best local food while you travel, you really should buy this"!!!! With her recommendation---and noticing some of our favorite regional eateries in the pages therein, I went for it. Well...traveling hasn't been the same since!!!

So...with some 130 Stern's favorites (book, website, old books) on my waistline, it's time for the "Roadfood All-Time Top Ten" list. Yes, this list is TOTALLY SUBJECTIVE and certainly depends on what mood I was in that day, the atmosphere, repeat visits (for those I've made it to again), and just about everything else. Call it unscientific, but oh so much fun!!

1. Eddie's, New Orleans, LA (oddly enough, the first place we hit after buying the book. Their gumbo was the best bowl of soup I've ever had. Total passion in the food---and I'm not even sure if they are open anymore).

2. Swan Oyster Depot, San Francisco, CA (eating the freshest seafood cocktail with sourdough bread and guzzling down an Anchor steam on any afternoon can turn the crummiest day around).

3. Al's #1 Italian Beef, Chicago, IL (get it wet...and get the fries too!)

4. Snappy Lunch Mount Airy, NC (the fried pork chop sandwich was just as down home as the town, Mayberry U. S. A. Extremely humble service!)

5. Mother's, New Orleans, LA (yeah---I'm a sucker for dressed up sandwiches. Hello Ferdi!).

6. Cafe Du Monde, New Orleans, LA (a nice light way to start the day in a wild city. Cafe au lait...and oh those beignets!!!).

7. Pepe's Pizza, New Haven, CT (the best crust in the world!!)

8. Parkside Candy, Buffalo, NY (charming old-time parlor where I ate the best chocolate sundae ever---and I didn't even order it! Turns out our server gave me my friend's sundae, and vice-versa but I didn't have the heart to tell my friend---becuase it was just TOO good! )

9. Duran Central Pharmacy, Albuquerque, NM (pour some more of that green chile on those eggs please. Thank you).

10. Nick Tahou Hots, Rochester, NY. (the first couple times through, I just noticed how wonderful the "garbage plate" ingredients meshed together. Last time though, I took note that these may very well be my favorite hot dogs in the world...and the chili sauce is just as good).

Jane and Michael, thanks so much for the oodles of great tips...and may the road be filled with thousands more great discoveries.

74 Replies Related Threads

Michael Stern
    Double Chili Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 1034
    RE: re: thanks jane and michael---all time top ten! 2003/03/22 14:58:55 (permalink)
    You are welcome! We've been dealing with a serious craving for those Snappy Lunch pork chop sandwiches lately. May need to visit there soon.
    Sundancer7
    Fire Safety Admin
    • Total Posts : 13526
    RE: re: thanks jane and michael---all time top ten! 2003/03/22 18:35:59 (permalink)
    I also share my thanks to Jane and Michael. I travel weekly. Last year I was on 125 Delta flights and stayed at 105 Marriott facilities. If you travel a lot, many of you know that the only pleasure you get is exploring a new place to do breakfast, lunch or dinner. Before I discovered their web site, I was at the mercy of other hotel options which I have found out are paid opinions due to free food. Before I travel to any city, I check the forum and state search before I go. If it is handy, I do it. Some have been good and a few have been bad, but that is the way the mop flops. This is the only good web site I have ever used that is not full of spam, advertisements and other crap. I have never met either of them, but I truly appreciate people who apparently do this as a labor of love.

My true thanks to Michael, Jane and their team and I appreciate their work.

Paul E. Smith
    Knoxville, TN
    Sundancer7@AOL.com
    865-607-3726
    mayor al
    Fire Safety Admin
    • Total Posts : 15307
    RE: re: thanks jane and michael---all time top ten! 2003/03/22 20:11:54 (permalink)

For me, my first roadfood book was picked up off a discount table for $1.00 in 1982. We have used it and it's offspring often since. With frequent roadtrips between the Left Coast and the Heartland, and even over to the Liberal East now and then, the books have helped many times in deciding when and where we were to stop for a break. Teaching several years on a year-round calandar that gave us May-June and November-December off made for great extended road journey's. Now were are near Louisville, and many of the trips point us thru the South and Southwest.
    OK MY TOP 10...Not in order of Preference, since Geography plays an important part in choosing the stop!!
    1. ARTHUR BRYANT's, K C My first use of the book... Even after the Yuppies discovered it and the parking lot filled with BMW's and Volvo's the place remains a dump with great BBQ.
    2. LOUIS MUELLER's BBQ. Haven't been in since the new dining room opened...but loved the stinging of the eyes in the GYM while knocking down some of the great Hot Links, Ribs and Brisket. Last time I saw a business card I had put on the wall with many others..it was smoke stained and had remained in place for 12 years.
    3. CATFISH 'N'- Dardenelles ARK. Beautiful location, been here several times , close by not on top of I-40, Catfish on the buffet with plenty of trimings. Eat inside or out, overlooks the river with plenty of shade trees.
    4. MOONLITE BBQ & INN, Owensboro, KY, In the heart of KY's Mutton BBQ country, The Moonlite is a family run institution Grat BBQ Mutton/pok and pork ribs, good brisket, Plenty of sides from Okra to ham and biscuits, Desserts always have fresh cobbler and banana pudding, Buffet or Order off the menu.. MY Best Choice as it is 90 miles from home and we go for lunch or dinner at least once a month
    5. IOWA BEEF STEAK HOUSE- Des Moines- I am not sure if this place is still around, but it was in the first 2 editions and we stopped a couple of times. Great Steaks and Large Pork Chops.. $1 off the entree price if you grilled it youself, rather than have them do it for you. Large flaming grill in the middle of the place. Plus if you cook it , they let you choose your steak or chops from the glass case reefer. It was fun after being on the road all day to play with fire!!
    6.JENNY'S, Empire CO.- A kind of hippy-homespun place in the little village of Empire (up I-70 as you head west from Denver) Ribeye sandwich ($6) that makes the giant pork tenderloins of the midwest look small in comparison. Think this one is gone now too.
    7. ROCKY POINT SHORE DINING HALL- Warwick R I - We went here as a result of Stern's writeup.. The family (wife and Mother) stayed with the clam cakes (fritters) and chowder, but Piggy me had to try the whole thing. Was an interesting experience and certainly differed from our BBQ centered trip up to there. Will go back when we can.
    8. VAN'S PIG STAND in Shawnee OK, double referral here, One from the book, one from the state trooper on I-40 who told us about it after giving me a ticket for 74 in a 70 zone (California Plates are a magnet for cops). Worth the stop off the interstate. Been there 6 or 7 times, consistently good.
    9 LOUIS'S BASQUE CORNER in Reno NV. A fun time, Heavy food for traveling after dinner, but If you are staying the night it is a great way to end the day. Great red wines !!!
    10. THE DIXIE TRUCK STOP- McLean IL on old 66 at rt 136. The absolute stereotypical Truck stop. Wonderful place to get into the spitit of a road trip.
    I must add that I like the organization of the books to be Alpha by State makes it easy to check them out quickly as you approach an exit. KEEP UP THE GOOD WORK !!!!
    joanie41
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 401
    RE: re: thanks jane and michael---all time top ten! 2003/03/23 00:31:29 (permalink)
    I got the Roadfood book when I was a cashier at Polly's Pancake Parlor in Sugar Hill, NH back in 1984. The restaurant is featured in the book, so it was sold in the gift shop at the restaurant. I didn't enjoy working there at all (I was a teacher on summer break trying to earn extra money and the proprietor is not easy to work for) but I have been a fan of the "Roadfood" concept ever since. Don't know if I have a list of "top 10 restaurants", but I love Durgin-Park in Boston, and virtually all the choices we've tried have been very good. So much food, so little time (and so many calories -- yikes!)
    Michael Stern
    RE: re: thanks jane and michael---all time top ten! 2003/03/23 05:10:04 (permalink)
    To Al-the-Mayor:

Thanks for the good words and droolworthy top-10 list. FYI, Rocky Point Park Shore Dinner Hall is history (boo-hoo!), but[url='http://www.roadfood.com/Reviews/Overview.aspx?RefID=90']Iggy's Doughboys[/url] is a worthwhile replacement. It doesn't have the vastness or the class shore-dinner menu; but it DOES have addictive doughboys and snail salad!" />
    mayor al
    Fire Safety Admin
    RE: re: thanks jane and michael---all time top ten! 2003/03/23 08:16:31 (permalink)
    Micheal,
    Thanks for the note on the Rocky Point. I am glad we were able to share that experience once then before it disappeared.
    BTW for all--- The Mayor thing is an honorary thing bestowed upon me by the "Railfan/Train-chaser " guys in SoCal's Cajon Pass. I lived near the Summit of the Pass where trains labor long and hard as they climb the mountains out of L A. There are thousands of train-watcher visitors to the area annually, and we met and hosted many of them, chasing around the desert and mountain roads with folks from around the world. It was a real fun time in my life.
    My idea of heaven is sitting on a rocky overlook, with trains coming both ways, and enjoying a box of ribs from DAN THE BBQ MAN'S Stand in Bloomington,CA. Some of you folks from places like Rochelle,IL or Altoona,PA know what I mean. We combine roadfood, Train-watching, and flea market cruising into some great times now that retirement is our occupation.
    stanpnepa
    Double Cheeseburger
    RE: re: thanks jane and michael---all time top ten! 2003/03/23 13:39:33 (permalink)
    Al,

The "Liberal East"? Ouch! Well, anyway...we may all not agree on politics---but we can on great chow!!! What a country!

Here's a question for Michael and Jane...and you don't have to answer in specifics. Have you ever not included an otherwise bookworthy restaurant because of something offensive you've seen or heard (political, racist, crude, mistreatment of help) by its operators in your visit(s)?

storytel
    Junior Burger
    • Total Posts : 1
    RE: re: thanks jane and michael---all time top ten! 2003/03/25 00:15:12 (permalink)
    Al,

FYI, Jenny's in Empire is still there, even with the 4+ feet of snow we had here last week.
    Michael Stern
    RE: re: thanks jane and michael---all time top ten! 2003/03/25 02:36:37 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by stanpnepa

Al,

Here's a question for Michael and Jane...and you don't have to answer in specifics. Have you ever not included an otherwise bookworthy restaurant because of something offensive you've seen or heard (political, racist, crude, mistreatment of help) by its operators in your visit(s)?

Yes. There are lots of restaurants with politics we don't like (as evidenced by pictures and shrines devoted to politicians who get two thumbs down from us), but that's never been a problem for us. We chalk it up to free expression, and even sometimes enjoy it as evidence of the vast cultural diversity of this country. To do what we do, you can't have a hair trigger about oddball (or wrong ) opinions.

But the other part of your question is more troublesome. We have excluded restaurants where we saw the help treated badly, or where the decor, ambience, etc. was downright repulsive or in some way so infuriating that it turned our stomachs ... making it impossible to enjoy a meal even if the food might've been OK.
    mayor al
    Fire Safety Admin
    RE: re: thanks jane and michael---all time top ten! 2003/03/25 08:41:40 (permalink)
    Micheal,
    The question was from 'STAN..." not me, but thanks for the straight answer I was curious also. As you said one can't be thin-skinned and enjoy a wide variety of roadfood type places. I must admit the current "IN THING" of having food service staff in an establishment berate and verbally abusive in an attempt at comic imitation of the original arrogant wait-staff is one modern trick that I DO NOT enjoy. So the simple solution is don't go to a place that uses that style of entertainment.
    Another component of the 'style' that we don't seem to talk about much here is the noise level. Grabbing a sandwich and coke at a busy joint with the noise level on extra high is not a bad thing... but when I sit down to a meal, even in a truck-stop environment, I prefer to be able to talk to my companion without shouting over "background" music. I am not talking library-quiet, but whatever the sounds are they should allow for conversations at a distance of three feet or so.

Liza- Thanks for the comment on Jenny's, we did enjoy the stops there on previous trips. I think, because it isn't in the newest edition of ROADFOOD, we failed to check out the location.
    Michael Stern
    RE: re: thanks jane and michael---all time top ten! 2003/03/25 09:19:01 (permalink)
    Don't get me started on noise level! All I want to hear is the distant whomp of a knife on a butcher block in the kitchen.

mayor al
    Fire Safety Admin
    RE: re: thanks jane and michael---all time top ten! 2003/03/25 10:55:00 (permalink)
    That photo looks like it was taken at LOUIS MUELLER'S???
    Bruce Bilmes and Susan Boyle
    • Total Posts : 1350
    RE: re: thanks jane and michael---all time top ten! 2003/03/25 12:33:18 (permalink)
    We like the looks of the Roadfood Top Ten Game. Can we play too?

10. Peter Luger, New York, NY Simply the best steak we've ever had. And love that schlag!

9. Barney Greengrass, New York, NY Our favorite breakfast. Lox, onions, eggs are divine, and the smoked fish is wonderful. Great "old NY" atmo, too.

8. The Clam Shack, Kennebunkport, ME Unbelievably luxurious hot lobster roll, eaten standing up next to the bridge.

7. Central Grocery, New Orleans, LA Olive salad/bread put this sandwich in the Hall Of Fame.

6. White House Sub Shop, Atlantic City, NJ OK, so we have a particular fondness for great sandwiches. Terrific, fresh bread. The White House Special is as good as it gets.

5. Polly's Pancake Parlor, Sugar Hill, NH Their pristine, deeply flavored maple products can always be found in our kitchen. A visit in autumn, great pancakes, and one of the world's great BLT's, is highly recommended.

4. Carnegie Deli, New York, NY OK, so it's not what it once was (though still good). But in Leo's day, there was no better pastrami on earth. It was touristy even then, but loads of fun.

3. Roque's Carnitas, Santa Fe, NM Sitting in the square, eating and dripping, chatting with Roque, is among our fondest Roadfood memories.

2. Frank Pepe Pizzeria Napoletana, New Haven, CT White clam pizza is perfection!

1. Abbott's Lobster In The Rough, Noank, CT Summer is not complete for us without a visit to our favorite restaurant - sitting outside picking lobsters, eating lobster rolls and excellent clam chowder.
    mayor al
    Fire Safety Admin
    RE: re: thanks jane and michael---all time top ten! 2003/04/01 17:45:09 (permalink)
    There are few places that I will travel out of my normal path for 100 miles or more to visit. ABBOTT's in Noank CN is one of those, as is Arthur Bryants in K C . The Moonlite BBQ in Owensboro is third. More to follow as I figure out the distances.
    jonaco
    Junior Burger
    • Total Posts : 1
    RE: re: thanks jane and michael---all time top ten! 2003/04/06 23:04:28 (permalink)
    Hello from a lifelong Sternhead and Roadfood maven/cook! Here are a few places I've visited (or they never got to):
    1. Becky's Diner, Portland, ME. Breakfast all-day by the sea,
    and priceless non-yuppie atmosphere.
    2. Amato's, Portland, ME. This mini-chain offers a good
    "Italian"- the curiously sweet, Maine-Yankee version of what's called
    a "grinder" or "hoagie" elsewhere.
    3. Chacarero Sandwiches, Boston (in downtown Filene's store).
    This stand offers unique- and addictive- steak or chicken sandwiches from Chile. Long lines of downtown lawyers and cops- even in this brutal winter- come out for the best sandwich in town.
    mobley
    Junior Burger
    • Total Posts : 31
    RE: re: thanks jane and michael---all time top ten! 2003/04/07 15:42:06 (permalink)
    I'm the type of "Roadfood" guy that likes places that have been around a long time and that don't break my wallet. As a "travel junkie" who loves the regional differences in America, Here are my faves (in no real order)

Wilber's BBQ, Goldsboro NC. My home state has a TON of BBQ joints, some great some not so great. Wilber's cooks on real wood and the Q is lean and tasty. Awesome hush puppies as well.

Captain's Galley, Crisfield MD. This is the place where I discovered real crab cakes. I'll never order them anywhere but in Maryland again.

Central Grocery, New Orleans. I went there at least 4 times while in the Crescent City.

Katz's Deli, NYC..My first REAL deli sandwich.

Van's Pig Stand, Shawnee OK. Went on the road to OK to do relief work for tornado victims, armed with a copy of "Eat Your Way Across the USA" from there I found out about a most memorable BBQ experience.

White House Sub Shop, Atlantic City. The best sub in America.

Charlie Vergo's Rendevous, Memphis. Dry ribs are the best.

Pete's Skylight Inn, Ayden NC. The BBQ capitol of the USA for a good reason.

Charcoal Pit, Wilmington DEL, 5 Guys, Washington area. A tie for the best burgers I've ever tasted!

Geno's, Pat's or Jim's in Philly. A tie, cuz to me, they're all good
    Michael Stern
    RE: re: thanks jane and michael---all time top ten! 2003/04/07 19:33:48 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by Al-The Mayor-Bowen

That photo looks like it was taken at LOUIS MUELLER'S???

It could have been Louie Mueller's, but in fact it was[url='http://www.roadfood.com/Reviews/Overview.aspx?RefID=583']The City Market[/url] in Luling.

Here's Louie Mueller's:

And here is a similar scene at Prause's:

buffetbuster
    Porterhouse
    • Total Posts : 10445
    RE: re: thanks jane and michael---all time top ten! 2003/04/07 23:13:58 (permalink)
    Little did I know that picking up the first edition of Eat Your Way Across the USA would be a life changing event. So, of course I loved the idea of creating my personal roadfood top 10 list. But being a cagey veteran of 260+ Stern recommended places, I had no idea that it would be this difficult. So after much consternation, here it is in alphabetical order:

1) Barney Greengrass - New York, NY. Could qualify just for the eggs-and-Novie alone, but the genuine New York setting is equally wonderful.

2)The Cottage - La Jolla, CA. I wasn't surprised at how good the pancakes and eggs were. But who knew granola could be this good!

3)The Goulash Place - Danbury, CT. Great Hungarian food. And since we were the only customers there at the time, we had the very entertaining Magda all to ourself!

4)Maddox Ranch House - Perry, UT. An unlikely choice, because this place is all but devoid of atmosphere. But from start to finish, the two dinners I ate there are the best meals I have ever had.

5)Mendenhall Hotel Revolving Tables - Mendenhall, MS. When I read that this place closed, I was sad, but also grateful that I was able to eat there before it did. Eat 'Til It Ouches...the perfect roadfood motto.

6)Pasqual's - Santa Fe, NM. Is it fair that a city as small as Santa Fe has so many great restaurants? Whatever meal you eat there, you must get a Mexican hot chocolate with it.

7)Rancho de Chimayo - Chimayo, NM. Great food in a gorgeous setting. I would go there just for the sopaipillas with honey.

8)Snappy Lunch - Mount Airy, NC. As good as the food is, this is just as much a reflection of the owner, Charles Dowell, a true gentleman.

9)Sweatman's Bar-B-Q - Holly Hill, SC. Since the mustard based barbecue is my favorite, this is a logical choice.

10)Uglesich's - New Orleans, LA. A great restaurant in a lousy neighborhood. When I walked in there at about 10:30 AM one morning, Mr. Uglesich didn't ask what I wanted, he told me what he was going to make for me. I knew better than argue. Needless to say, he didn't steer me wrong.

I am really enjoying reading everyone else's list and I appreciate the chance to share mine. And a special heart felt thanks to Jane and Michael for their dedication to bring all these places to us. The only problem is that none of these are anywhere near my home in Pittsburgh!!!
    wanderingjew
    Sirloin
    • Total Posts : 7921
    RE: re: thanks jane and michael---all time top ten! 2003/04/08 09:00:04 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by buffetbuster

I am really enjoying reading everyone else's list and I appreciate the chance to share mine. And a special heart felt thanks to Jane and Michael for their dedication to bring all these places to us. The only problem is that none of these are anywhere near my home in Pittsburgh!!!

At least you have PRIMANTI'S!
    Michael Stern
    RE: re: thanks jane and michael---all time top ten! 2003/04/08 09:18:06 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by buffetbuster

The only problem is that none of these are anywhere near my home in Pittsburgh!!!

Whatsamatta, you don't like...
    [url='http://www.roadfood.com/Reviews/Overview.aspx?RefID=101']Benkovitz[/url]

or

[url='http://www.roadfood.com/Reviews/Overview.aspx?RefID=403']Jo-Jo's[/url]

or

[url='http://www.roadfood.com/Reviews/Overview.aspx?RefID=106']The Big O[/url]

or

[url='http://www.roadfood.com/Reviews/Overview.aspx?RefID=398']Primanti Brothers[/url]
    buffetbuster
    Porterhouse
    • Total Posts : 10445
    RE: re: thanks jane and michael---all time top ten! 2003/04/08 12:11:08 (permalink)
    Obviously, I needed to be more specific in my last comment. None of my top ten or any of the near misses are close to Pittsburgh. While certainly not a Santa Fe, New Orleans or Chicago, I think Pittsburgh is a fine roadfood city. I spent many a late night in my youth at Primanti's or the O. But, I think it is a natural human tendency not to think what is always so close by is that special. We take it for granted. For example, relatives in Memphis consider great pork barbecue more of a birthright rather than a genuine treat. But since I can't get that here, when I am visiting I want to eat it every meal.
    joanie41
    Cheeseburger
    RE: re: thanks jane and michael---all time top ten! 2003/04/08 12:37:14 (permalink)
    I agree completely with 'buffetbuster'...I lived a couple miles from Polly's Pancake Parlor when I taught and although I thought it was good, I was so used to having real maple products and good cheese (often brought in from my students or bought at Harmon's) that I took the place for granted. I lived about 10 minutes outside Atlantic City for over 6 years and didn't go to White House until I came back as a "shoobie". (I was a bit underwhelmed by White House...maybe I hit it on a bad day...) As a highschooler, I worked right by S****y Franks in Norwalk, and to this day, I've never been inside! Maybe when I go back for a high school reunion...
    joanie41
    Cheeseburger
    RE: re: thanks jane and michael---all time top ten! 2003/04/08 12:39:56 (permalink)
    Why did s w a n k y get **** out in my last entry?" />
    Stephen Rushmore Jr.
    Fire Safety Admin
    • Total Posts : 2130
    RE: re: thanks jane and michael---all time top ten! 2003/04/08 13:03:00 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by joanie41

Why did s w a n k y get **** out in my last entry?" />

LOL, we have a bad word filter on the message board. "Wank" was one of the words. I removed it.
    stanpnepa
    Double Cheeseburger
    RE: re: thanks jane and michael---all time top ten! 2003/04/08 13:04:00 (permalink)
    Are the letters w a n k considered foul?
    mayor al
    Fire Safety Admin
    RE: re: thanks jane and michael---all time top ten! 2003/04/08 13:27:02 (permalink)
    Stan,
    Did you mean F O W L ????? hehehe
    stanpnepa
    Double Cheeseburger
    RE: re: thanks jane and michael---all time top ten! 2003/04/08 14:59:48 (permalink)
    Al,

Actually I did!

And speaking of fowl, right about now I'm getting a craving for some Southern pan-fried chicken. Only problem is I can't get it for at least 250 miles!
    dte3672
    Junior Burger
    • Total Posts : 46
    RE: re: thanks jane and michael---all time top ten! 2004/01/18 14:00:48 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by Al-The Mayor-Bowen

For me, my first roadfood book was picked up off a discount table for $1.00 in 1982. We have used it and it's offspring often since. With frequent roadtrips between the Left Coast and the Heartland, and even over to the Liberal East now and then, the books have helped many times in deciding when and where we were to stop for a break. Teaching several years on a year-round calandar that gave us May-June and November-December off made for great extended road journey's. Now were are near Louisville, and many of the trips point us thru the South and Southwest.
    OK MY TOP 10...Not in order of Preference, since Geography plays an important part in choosing the stop!!
    1. ARTHUR BRYANT's, K C My first use of the book... Even after the Yuppies discovered it and the parking lot filled with BMW's and Volvo's the place remains a dump with great BBQ.
    2. LOUIS MUELLER's BBQ. Haven't been in since the new dining room opened...but loved the stinging of the eyes in the GYM while knocking down some of the great Hot Links, Ribs and Brisket. Last time I saw a business card I had put on the wall with many others..it was smoke stained and had remained in place for 12 years.
    3. CATFISH 'N'- Dardenelles ARK. Beautiful location, been here several times , close by not on top of I-40, Catfish on the buffet with plenty of trimings. Eat inside or out, overlooks the river with plenty of shade trees.
    4. MOONLITE BBQ & INN, Owensboro, KY, In the heart of KY's Mutton BBQ country, The Moonlite is a family run institution Grat BBQ Mutton/pok and pork ribs, good brisket, Plenty of sides from Okra to ham and biscuits, Desserts always have fresh cobbler and banana pudding, Buffet or Order off the menu.. MY Best Choice as it is 90 miles from home and we go for lunch or dinner at least once a month
    5. IOWA BEEF STEAK HOUSE- Des Moines- I am not sure if this place is still around, but it was in the first 2 editions and we stopped a couple of times. Great Steaks and Large Pork Chops.. $1 off the entree price if you grilled it youself, rather than have them do it for you. Large flaming grill in the middle of the place. Plus if you cook it , they let you choose your steak or chops from the glass case reefer. It was fun after being on the road all day to play with fire!!
    6.JENNY'S, Empire CO.- A kind of hippy-homespun place in the little village of Empire (up I-70 as you head west from Denver) Ribeye sandwich ($6) that makes the giant pork tenderloins of the midwest look small in comparison. Think this one is gone now too.
    7. ROCKY POINT SHORE DINING HALL- Warwick R I - We went here as a result of Stern's writeup.. The family (wife and Mother) stayed with the clam cakes (fritters) and chowder, but Piggy me had to try the whole thing. Was an interesting experience and certainly differed from our BBQ centered trip up to there. Will go back when we can.
    8. VAN'S PIG STAND in Shawnee OK, double referral here, One from the book, one from the state trooper on I-40 who told us about it after giving me a ticket for 74 in a 70 zone (California Plates are a magnet for cops). Worth the stop off the interstate. Been there 6 or 7 times, consistently good.
    9 LOUIS'S BASQUE CORNER in Reno NV. A fun time, Heavy food for traveling after dinner, but If you are staying the night it is a great way to end the day. Great red wines !!!
    10. THE DIXIE TRUCK STOP- McLean IL on old 66 at rt 136. The absolute stereotypical Truck stop. Wonderful place to get into the spitit of a road trip.
    I must add that I like the organization of the books to be Alpha by State makes it easy to check them out quickly as you approach an exit. KEEP UP THE GOOD WORK !!!!

Does anyone know if the Dixie Truck Stop (#10) is still there?
    mayor al
    Fire Safety Admin
    RE: re: thanks jane and michael---all time top ten! 2004/01/18 15:04:10 (permalink)
    We stopped there last summer and it didn't look like it was going down hill...busy as ever
    Page: 123 > Showing page 1 of 3
    Jump to:
    © 2014 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1