real cheesesteak in boston? please help

Author
johnpalley
Junior Burger
  • Total Posts : 3
2008/02/26 23:00:51 (permalink)

real cheesesteak in boston? please help

ive lived in the boston area my whole life and ive never had a cheesesteak any where nearly as good as when i went to philly once. is there any place in the boston area that you all know of that has a real cheesesteak as good as the ones in philly. i love them so much. someone please help me out. thank you

21 Replies Related Threads

Jimeats
    Filet Mignon
    • Total Posts : 3175
    RE: real cheesesteak in boston? please help 2008/02/27 11:27:53 (permalink)
    Nothing wrong with Bob's in So. Meffa. There is a great spot on Lebanon St. in Malden but the name ecapes me at the moment. In Waltham is another fine spot and famous for their cheese steaks but once again, the name?
    I'll post back on both names soon.
    As far as a Philly cheese steak, well I was undewhelmed. Though very good I had to ask myself what's all the hype. I must say the sub roll was exellent.
    Chow Jim
    mikez629
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 307
    RE: real cheesesteak in boston? please help 2008/02/27 11:29:57 (permalink)
    No such thing-take a road trip!
    wanderingjew
    Sirloin
    • Total Posts : 7956
    RE: real cheesesteak in boston? please help 2008/02/27 11:32:57 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by Jimeats

I'll post back on both names soon.
    As far as a Philly cheese steak, well I was undewhelmed. Though very good I had to ask myself what's all the hype. I must say the sub roll was exellent.
    Chow Jim

If you went to Pats, Geno's or Jim's I can understand
    3 of the biggest TOURIST TRAPS in the country
    Michael Hoffman
    Double-chop Porterhouse
    • Total Posts : 18857
    RE: real cheesesteak in boston? please help 2008/02/27 12:04:08 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by mikez629

A cheesesteak is a cheesesteak. It doesn't matter where it's made. All that matters is how, and anyone with thinly-sliced meat, some cheese and other accompaniments, plus a decent sub bun, can make the finest.
    porkbeaks
    Double Chili Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 2217
    RE: real cheesesteak in boston? please help 2008/02/27 12:26:35 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by Michael Hoffman

quote:

A cheesesteak is a cheesesteak. It doesn't matter where it's made. All that matters is how, and anyone with thinly-sliced meat, some cheese and other accompaniments, plus a decent sub bun, can make the finest.

Totally agree. Same goes for hamburgers, breaded pork tenderloins, loosemeat/maid-rites/tavern sandwiches, pizza, etc. pb
    Michael Hoffman
    Double-chop Porterhouse
    RE: real cheesesteak in boston? please help 2008/02/27 12:43:16 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by porkbeaks

quote:

quote:

Totally agree. Same goes for hamburgers, breaded pork tenderloins, loosemeat/maid-rites/tavern sandwiches, pizza, etc. pb

I've never had a loosemeat/maid-rite/tavern or breaded pork tenderloin sandwich, so I can't comment on those. But I'm from New Haven, and I have to disagree about the apizza.
    wanderingjew
    Sirloin
    RE: real cheesesteak in boston? please help 2008/02/27 12:46:16 (permalink)
    quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

I've never had a loosemeat/maid-rite/tavern or breaded pork tenderloin sandwich, so I can't comment on those. But I'm from New Haven, and I have to disagree about the apizza.

Oh yeah!

To quote my former coworkers from Seattle "Pizza is Pizza" " />

porkbeaks
    RE: real cheesesteak in boston? please help 2008/02/27 12:48:33 (permalink)
    quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

My point is that there's nothing inherent in the location that they are made that makes these food items any better than they would be if prepared somewhere else.
    Michael Hoffman
    Double-chop Porterhouse
    RE: real cheesesteak in boston? please help 2008/02/27 13:05:06 (permalink)
    quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

My point is that there's nothing inherent in the location that they are made that makes these food items any better than they would be if prepared somewhere else.

Ah, but it is impossible to make an appiza anywhere near as good as one from Pepe's, Sally's or The Spot in New Haven in a location other than New Haven.
    porkbeaks
    RE: real cheesesteak in boston? please help 2008/02/27 13:24:46 (permalink)
    quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

Ah, but it is impossible to make an appiza anywhere near as good as one from Pepe's, Sally's or The Spot in New Haven in a location other than New Haven.

Any opinion as to why that may be
    Jimeats
    Filet Mignon
    RE: real cheesesteak in boston? please help 2008/02/27 13:38:36 (permalink)
    I have an opinion as to why that MAY be. The water, the natural airborne yeasts, and the ovens. I once knew a baker that had to move his operation. He said that it would take over a year to achive the same quality bread that he was producing in the original location. Chow Jim
    exsquidao
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 409
    RE: real cheesesteak in boston? please help 2008/02/27 13:47:37 (permalink)
    It's always been said here that it is the water that makes the Apizza special, don't know why, don't really care just as long as it's a good pie, I do have a? for MH, were you living in NH recently enough (past 30 yrs) to remember Forbes Market on Forbes ave? that place used to make a great steak and cheese sub, real cheese no whiz.
    Michael Hoffman
    Double-chop Porterhouse
    RE: real cheesesteak in boston? please help 2008/02/27 13:54:10 (permalink)
    quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

Any opinion as to why that may be

Sure. Frank Pepe and Sally and Tony Consiglio.

Those guys founded the two greatest pizzerias in North America, and now The Spot, which I always preferred while growing up, is owned by Pepe's. The Consiglio's still operate Sally's and the Pepe's still run Frank Pepe's.

I'm a homer when it comes to apizza. But I expect you'll get the same reaction about the "best" apizza from most people who have eaten at Pepe's or Sally's, or both. There will be some who favor anther pizzeria in New Haven, Modern Apizza. (Disclaimer: I've never eaten at Modern.)
    mikez629
    Cheeseburger
    RE: real cheesesteak in boston? please help 2008/02/27 14:04:53 (permalink)
    There is a difference in where you get the item-the bread in Philly is different than the bread you get in North Jersey. I totally makes a difference.
    johnpalley
    Junior Burger
    RE: real cheesesteak in boston? please help 2008/02/27 14:41:47 (permalink)
    Jimeats, thanks for posting that info. ive been to bobs. there retty good but nothing even close to a real philly cheesesteak. i think the spot your talkin about in malden is the lebonnon street market which went out of business and is now called primos. please let me know because if your talkin about primos then im gonna check them out. i just wanted you to know that the best cheesesteak ive had in the boston area yet is pinnichios in harvard square, cambridge. if you could find out the name of that waltham spot also i would appreciate it. thanks

mikez629, take a road trip where? whats the closest place possible to boston?
    wanderingjew
    Sirloin
    RE: real cheesesteak in boston? please help 2008/02/27 14:52:33 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by johnpalley

Philly...
    Although you can probably do just as good in South Jersey
    Jimeats
    Filet Mignon
    RE: real cheesesteak in boston? please help 2008/02/28 10:33:52 (permalink)
    The spot in Waltham is Carl's on Prospect St. off of Main St.
    Get the small the large is just too big and I'm a fairly big eater.
    My only fault with this place is the sub roll, not as good as I remember in Philly. No wizz at Carl's either, they use real cheese.
    I was unaware that the Lebanon Mkt. had changed hands. I can't seem to pass by the 621 on Rt.99 for my dineing pleasure when in the area.
    I had a great sandwich in the No. End right across the street from Bova's Bakery, Nino's? Only one size but the cheese steak was great. Chow Jim
    mikez629
    Cheeseburger
    RE: real cheesesteak in boston? please help 2008/02/28 10:36:27 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by johnpalley

Jimeats, thanks for posting that info. ive been to bobs. there retty good but nothing even close to a real philly cheesesteak. i think the spot your talkin about in malden is the lebonnon street market which went out of business and is now called primos. please let me know because if your talkin about primos then im gonna check them out. i just wanted you to know that the best cheesesteak ive had in the boston area yet is pinnichios in harvard square, cambridge. if you could find out the name of that waltham spot also i would appreciate it. thanks

Road trip to Philly-you can hit several items on a roadfood list-you can hit Jersey Hotdogs on the way down/soft pretzels/cheesesteak/roast pork/roast beef,reading terminal market-take a weekend trip-its a nice city in the spring/summer.
    Jimeats
    Filet Mignon
    RE: real cheesesteak in boston? please help 2008/02/28 10:57:24 (permalink)
    I have to agree Philly is a nice city. But the only destination food spot for me would be Ralph's in So. Philly Mkt area. Great Italian food, some of the best I've had. Chow Jim
    johnpalley
    Junior Burger
    RE: real cheesesteak in boston? please help 2008/02/28 14:18:54 (permalink)
    thanks everyone. if anyone knows anymore. please post
    Michael Hoffman
    Double-chop Porterhouse
    RE: real cheesesteak in boston? please help 2008/02/28 14:25:22 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by exsquidao

It's always been said here that it is the water that makes the Apizza special, don't know why, don't really care just as long as it's a good pie, I do have a? for MH, were you living in NH recently enough (past 30 yrs) to remember Forbes Market on Forbes ave? that place used to make a great steak and cheese sub, real cheese no whiz.

I don't remember Forbes Market, but I do remember Forbes Diner. And I sure don't recall ever even hearing of a steak and cheese sub in the New Haven area.
    Jump to:
    © 2014 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1