recent NY Post article- Cheap food in NYC

Author
kozel
Double Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 844
2004/09/14 16:01:44 (permalink)

recent NY Post article- Cheap food in NYC

http://www.nypost.com/food/28453.htm

may provoke some discussion, what's great about any town with ethnic neighborhoods and NYC has many

2 Replies Related Threads

the ancient mariner
    Filet Mignon
    • Total Posts : 3987
    RE: recent NY Post article- Cheap food in NYC 2004/09/14 16:37:49 (permalink)
    thanks Kozel---I will carry the list with me as I travel through the city. By the way, refering to another post ==== please check to make sure there are no automatic tips. Lets see 18% of $2.00---wow, that is---wait a minute til I get out my calculator. Multiply the quotient by the hypotenuse of the right triangle. Hummmmm I am confused !! Those two martinis recommended by Grampy make my adding, or was it dividing, ability a little confused. At any rate thank you Kozel.
    BT
    Filet Mignon
    • Total Posts : 3589
    RE: recent NY Post article- Cheap food in NYC 2004/09/15 00:35:23 (permalink)
    I'm pretty shocked at those "4 for a dollar" dumplings and pork buns. Here on the left coast, the dumplings usually go for around $.60 each. I can't recall what I last paid for pork buns but 4 would cost at least a couple of bucks (I love 'em by the way--5th and Clement St. on Sunday morning is the time and place for great, but not cheap, ones). As for the Polish food, not much of that here. What we have is Russian and most of that is along outer Geary and Clement (where it is often euphamistically called "European Food" on signs). The Mexican/Central American food seems similarly priced and there's an increasing number of lower-priced Indian/Pakistani and, now, Turkish places, but I've sort of found you get what you pay for in Indian food. The cheaper places give you bone-in chicken in your curry and less elegant presentations whereas for a few bucks more you get boneless and a subtler spice blend. The cheaper versions are probably closer to what most people would eat at home back on the subcontinent, but I like the pricier flavors (and the easier eating of not having to remove the bones) myself.
    Jump to:
    © 2014 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1