The most memorable local eateries along the highways and back roads of America
Sign In | Register for Free!
Restaurants Recipes Forums EatingTours Merchandise FAQ Maps Insider
Forum Themes:
Welcome !

recipe for meat and cheese calzones

Tailor

• Total Posts: 3
recipe for meat and cheese calzones Tue, 02/2/10 12:42 PM (permalink)
I grew up in new rochelle Ny  and used to go to various pizza parlors  where they sold "meat and cheese calzones"  if memory serves me  its was avery tasty  ground meat /sauce/cheese combo  anyone remember these and or know of a recipe?  For some reason i thought of them today ........

6star

• Total Posts: 4388
    Re:recipe for meat and cheese calzones Tue, 02/2/10 1:22 PM (permalink)
    Here is a website with quite a variety of calzone recipes:

http://allrecipes.com/recipes/main-dish/pizza-and-calzones/calzones/ViewAll.aspx

MikeS.

• Total Posts: 5360
      • Roadfood Insider
      Re:recipe for meat and cheese calzones Tue, 02/2/10 10:47 PM (permalink)
      I don't have any recipes but I do have some very fond memories of calzones from DiCicco's in Fresno, Ca. They used pizza dough, a variety of meats and a blend of cheeses. They then deep fried it. When it came out of the fryer they plated it, covered it in marinara and cheese and put it in the pizza oven until hot and bubbly. Those were great.

stricken_detective

• Total Posts: 2330
        Re:recipe for meat and cheese calzones Tue, 02/2/10 11:03 PM (permalink)
        ^^fresh out of the deep fryer, those are called Ponza Rotta's here in Waukesha.

You don't need a recipe. Take some pizza dough, roll it out, make a little pizza on one side with whatever you want. fold it over, pinch the ends & bake. Egg wash if you want to be fancy about it.

SeamusD

• Total Posts: 939
          Re:recipe for meat and cheese calzones Wed, 02/3/10 10:06 AM (permalink)
          MikeS.

I don't have any recipes but I do have some very fond memories of calzones from DiCicco's in Fresno, Ca. They used pizza dough, a variety of meats and a blend of cheeses. They then deep fried it. When it came out of the fryer they plated it, covered it in marinara and cheese and put it in the pizza oven until hot and bubbly. Those were great.

We had something similar in college... Sergi's in Canton, NY makes deep fried pepperoni pizza rolls. Basically a medium pizza rolled up into a fat cigar shape and deep fried. I always get one (or four) when I blow through town. That's the only place I've ever found in these parts that deep fries them. We called them "fat bags" as they can be pretty greasy from all the pepperoni and cheese stuffed into them. Cures what ails ya.

samuelcdanny

• Total Posts: 2
            Re:recipe for meat and cheese calzones Thu, 02/25/10 8:10 AM (permalink)
            Hi
            Thanks for sharing nice recipes link ...can you suggest some non-veg recipes ???

Mosca

• Total Posts: 2929
              Re:recipe for meat and cheese calzones Thu, 02/25/10 10:02 AM (permalink)
              samuelcdanny

Hi
              Thanks for sharing nice recipes link ...can you suggest some non-veg recipes ???

Shoot man, just take out the vegetables and add sausage and bacon. Or leave in the vegetables and add sausage and bacon and pepperoni.

Scorereader

• Total Posts: 5546
                Re:recipe for meat and cheese calzones Thu, 02/25/10 11:39 AM (permalink)
                SeamusD

MikeS.

We had something similar in college... Sergi's in Canton, NY makes deep fried pepperoni pizza rolls. Basically a medium pizza rolled up into a fat cigar shape and deep fried. I always get one (or four) when I blow through town. That's the only place I've ever found in these parts that deep fries them. We called them "fat bags" as they can be pretty greasy from all the pepperoni and cheese stuffed into them. Cures what ails ya.

A Sergi's pizza roll was a right of passage for all attendees of the four colleges of northern ny. We also had the Josie's Pizza roll across the street (Potsdam) - good especially when the line at Sergi's at 2am was much too long.

I went up there two years ago, two of us shared one and were were stuffed! How I ate one on my own back then?...well, I know how - I was blitzed!

Scorereader

Re:recipe for meat and cheese calzones Thu, 02/25/10 11:53 AM (permalink)
                  most calzone recipes found online are mostly generic "here's what a calzone is" type recipe: Make a small pizza, fill 1/2, with X ingredients, fold over and crimp.

There's a rolling technique that can be used which is the same as rolling parchment paper pockets. Some egg wash and bake it.

Usually calzones don't contain any sauce, that's served on the size. And often the meat is a ground meat (beef, sausage, ect.) mixed in with the cheese. But, really, you can use just about any of your favorite items and it will work. If you can make a pizza, you can make a calzone.

porkbeaks

• Total Posts: 2201
                    Re:recipe for meat and cheese calzones Thu, 02/25/10 11:55 AM (permalink)
                    Good info here. Includes lots of photos. pb
                    http://www.pizzamaking.com/forum/index.php/topic,71.0.html

Scorereader

Re:recipe for meat and cheese calzones Thu, 02/25/10 2:13 PM (permalink)
                      porkbeaks

Good info here. Includes lots of photos. pb
                      http://www.pizzamaking.com/forum/index.php/topic,71.0.html

whoever "Toad" is, s/he made a nice looking calzone.

I also like the step by step pics, except I don't use the fork crimping method. Rather, I start on one side and roll it akin to to roling parchment paper pockets.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

BTW - I didn't mention in my earlier post, you need to pre-cook the meat! (don't want to forget that!)

Michael Hoffman

• Total Posts: 17815
                        Re:recipe for meat and cheese calzones Thu, 02/25/10 2:27 PM (permalink)
                        Never cared for calzone tartare, eh?

porkbeaks

Re:recipe for meat and cheese calzones Thu, 02/25/10 2:42 PM (permalink)
                          To me, a calzone is a cheese (ricotta) thing. If it's got meat and veggies, I've always called that a stromboli. The calzone has sauce on the side; the stromboli on the inside.

Michael Hoffman

Re:recipe for meat and cheese calzones Thu, 02/25/10 2:53 PM (permalink)
                            I thought Stromboli was an island off Sicily where Ingrid Bergman and Roberto Rossellini had a steamy affair that came close to ruining her career.

porkbeaks

Re:recipe for meat and cheese calzones Thu, 02/25/10 3:26 PM (permalink)
                              Michael Hoffman

I thought Stromboli was an island off Sicily where Ingrid Bergman and Roberto Rossellini had a steamy affair that came close to ruining her career.

It appears you're a little confused today, Michael. Stromboli was a Bergman/Rossellini film that told the story of a couple seeking an alternative to calzone.

Michael Hoffman

Re:recipe for meat and cheese calzones Thu, 02/25/10 3:36 PM (permalink)
                                Ah, yes. I did confuse their affair during the making of the film with the location of the affair. Or could they have been on Stromboli at the time, longing for an apizza from Frank Pepe's?

Scorereader

Re:recipe for meat and cheese calzones Thu, 02/25/10 4:24 PM (permalink)
                                  In my culinary upbringing, stromboli is a rolled pizza - if you sliced it, it would be like a pinwheel. A calzone is a pocket. Calzone's use pizza dough, strombolis use italian bread dough (or pizza dough in most pizza shops)

You put toppings on the entire (square) pizza, and roll it.  

The sauce, is placed on top. Or if served as an appetizer where the roll is sliced, sauce on the side - if there's sauce at all.

I make stromboli for parties and occassionally, depending on the ingredients I use, have put some pesto on the inside, but never a red sauce.

Calzones, a sort of folded pizza (but often also bent to make a sort of moon shape) is much cheesier in nature - where cheese is the main ingredient on the inside, while stromboli is filled with more savory items and little cheese. Often just sliced provolone. The wikipedia stromboli (food) has the look I'm describing (which surprised me - I thought they'd mess it up)

SeamusD

• Total Posts: 939
                                    Re:recipe for meat and cheese calzones Sat, 02/27/10 10:48 PM (permalink)
                                    Scorereader

SeamusD

MikeS.

A Sergi's pizza roll was a right of passage for all attendees of the four colleges of northern ny. We also had the Josie's Pizza roll across the street (Potsdam) - good especially when the line at Sergi's at 2am was much too long.

I went up there two years ago, two of us shared one and were were stuffed! How I ate one on my own back then?...well, I know how - I was blitzed!

I can still eat a whole one. In Canton, Josie's is (was?) right next door to Sergi's, their rolls were baked and also delicious, but not quite the same as a fat bag. I think I heard a rumor that Sergi's recently stopped making them, I can't imagine why, and I have yet to verify the rumor.

porkbeaks

Re:recipe for meat and cheese calzones Sun, 02/28/10 7:47 AM (permalink)
                                      Here's a stromboli/calzone I made some time ago. Mozz, sweet sausage. peppers, and onions with marinara on the side. I should have put in more of everything, but it was still pretty tasty. pb

Online Bookmarks Sharing: Share/Bookmark

Jump to:

Current active users

There are 0 members and 1 guests.

Icon Legend and Permission

• New Messages
                                        • No New Messages
                                        • Hot Topic w/ New Messages
                                        • Hot Topic w/o New Messages
                                        • Locked w/ New Messages
                                        • Locked w/o New Messages
                                        • Read Message
                                        • Post New Thread
                                        • Reply to message
                                        • Post New Poll
                                        • Submit Vote
                                        • Post reward post
                                        • Delete my own posts
                                        • Delete my own threads
                                        • Rate post

2000-2014 ASPPlayground.NET Forum Version 3.9
                                        What is Roadfood?  |   Privacy Policy  |   Contact Roadfood.com   Copyright 2011 - Roadfood.com