rendering beef fat to lard

Author
prisonchef
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 296
2006/07/27 20:13:09 (permalink)

rendering beef fat to lard

i am doing so many briskets a week that throwing the fat away is breaking my heart. i figure there has to be an old line chef or butcher out there that can help.
i know hard beef fat can be render to make lard just like pork fat can. i am now making a test run using the fat from one brisket and the water method used to extract lard from pork fat.
if any one can help i sure would appreciate it.
uses for the lard would be;
pastry-my kid makes a killer caramel and walnut tart with ganache
pasties- hey why not the welsh were a little below scotland so can give those a try for using up left over pork and beef.
biscuits-man we make a bundle with those but somehow i think we could make even more using a good home made lard.
thanks for helping
jack

5 Replies Related Threads

6star
    Filet Mignon
    • Total Posts : 4388
    RE: rendering beef fat to lard 2006/07/27 20:35:41 (permalink)
    I am pretty sure that "lard" is rendered pork fat, while "tallow" is rendered beef fat. There are differences in flavor between lard and tallow, which would affect the flavor of the food it was used in. If I remember correctly, tallow is almost completely without flavor, so it would just provide (unwanted) cholesterol, without the flavor benefits that lard brings to food. I am pretty sure this is one reason why tallow (and not lard) was used for making candles in pioneer times.
    lleechef
    Sirloin
    • Total Posts : 6648
    RE: rendering beef fat to lard 2006/07/27 20:38:46 (permalink)
    Do not throw that fat away! Make popovers!
    bassrocker4u2
    Double Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 534
    RE: rendering beef fat to lard 2006/07/28 08:09:00 (permalink)
    best thing you can do with that beef fat, is freeze it, in usable sizes(baggies). add some to each batch of beans, stews, soups. maybe even add to bbq sauce(if not stored on the counter, but in the fridge). even add some to fresh veggies, before boiling. best thing is, to try to sell this rendered fat. i bet many folks out there would love to have a bag of it in their freezer. i sure would.
    good story jack, about college boy. i just dont know what to recommend, for his bad glove habbits. maybe try to lay off him a while, and see if the release in pressure helps his mind think better. try just saying nothing, for a while, and see if he improves. then, give him the ax if no improvement, or transfer him to dish for a few days... thats better than the ax.
    rjb
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 451
    RE: rendering beef fat to lard 2006/07/28 10:05:53 (permalink)
    Add some of the rendered fat to your frying oil and make the best french fries you've ever had. McD's used beef tallow years ago until the food police made them stop.

Yorkshire pud is another good use.
    prisonchef
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 296
    RE: rendering beef fat to lard 2006/07/28 12:38:12 (permalink)
    thanks for all the good ideas. the yorkshire pudding has me intriged (well with spelling this poor you just have to know it really is me). wonder how it would do under a brisket being smoked. time to get out my old culinary schoolnotes. chef achatz was a real stickler when it came to yorkshire pudding so i know i got my recipe filed there.
    bassrocker,
    i will give your idea a try on both the fat and the glove issue. you may be right. perhaps i am being to hard on the kid and backing off just might help.
    jack
    Jump to:
    © 2014 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1