restaurants that ruin sandwiches

Page: 12 > Showing page 1 of 2 - Powered by APG vNext Trial
Author
danimal15
Double Chili Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 1092
2004/10/04 12:21:57 (permalink)

restaurants that ruin sandwiches

I was at a "deli" in downtown Chicago once where I ordered a corned beef sandwich and they asked me if I wanted cheese on it. It goes without saying I never returned. I've also been to places that offer cheese on an Italian beef sandwich (sacrilege, I say).

Anyone else have an example of a restaurant that offers to ruin its sandwiches in a similar manner?

30 Replies Related Threads

RubyRose
    • Total Posts : 2189
    RE: restaurants that ruin sandwiches 2004/10/04 12:47:49 (permalink)
    I know the feeling. I was recently at a new diner that opened up and ordered a hot turkey sandwich with mashed potatoes - one of my personal benchmarks for diner comparison. The waitress asked, "Do you want that on a roll or on bread?"
    rumbelly
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 235
    RE: restaurants that ruin sandwiches 2004/10/04 12:51:05 (permalink)
    I don't have a problem with cheese. Its when they offer lettuce and tomatoes on corned beef or pastrami that makes me wonder.
    renfrew
    Double Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 696
    RE: restaurants that ruin sandwiches 2004/10/04 13:07:35 (permalink)
    I feel your pain with the corned beef and pastrami. I still frequent a couple of old school delis where if you ask for mayo, cheese, lettuce or tomato on a corned beef or pastrami, the look from the counterman alone'll kill you.

Another place that i know of suffers not from what they do offer but from what they dont. I get a pate sandwich on a nice baguette. I like some sort of chutney on it but they dont have it. Have to bring my own.

Kristi S.
    Double Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 712
    RE: restaurants that ruin sandwiches 2004/10/04 13:33:40 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by rumbelly

I don't have a problem with cheese. Its when they offer lettuce and tomatoes on corned beef or pastrami that makes me wonder.

And lettuce and tomato on a Cuban sandwich. It's just so, so wrong....
    emsmom
    Double Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 955
    RE: restaurants that ruin sandwiches 2004/10/04 13:37:58 (permalink)
    I ate at a place yesterday that had just started serving chicken salad sandwiches. It listed the chicken salad on toasted wheat bread with mayonaisse, lettuce, tomato and onion. I just want my chicken salad on toast with out all of the extras.
    wallhd
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 432
    RE: restaurants that ruin sandwiches 2004/10/04 13:55:02 (permalink)
    So what's the big deal? Tell them you want a chicken salad sandwich with none of the other crap on it
    TJ Jackson
    Filet Mignon
    • Total Posts : 4594
    RE: restaurants that ruin sandwiches 2004/10/04 13:58:09 (permalink)
    Well, around here there is a very, very popular sandwich called a reuben. Been around a long time, as long as I can remember. Without detailing, two of the main ingredients are corned beef and swiss cheese.

So the opening post of this thread seems a somewhat excessively intolerant to me. I realize their are dietary restrictions for certain religions (such as judaism) as well as physical dietary limitations (lactose intolerance?) that might make such a sandwich offlimits, but can't understand why one might consider such a combination so abhorrent purely from an attitudinal perspective as to make mention of it here.

I mean, my god, there are people out there eating lutefisk! :-)
    Goose
    Hamburger
    • Total Posts : 81
    RE: restaurants that ruin sandwiches 2004/10/04 13:58:50 (permalink)
    well, what should they do with the other crap?

Hold it between their knees?
    TJ Jackson
    Filet Mignon
    RE: restaurants that ruin sandwiches 2004/10/04 14:14:05 (permalink)
    They should just leave it on the prep table.

This saves on both labor and food costs, and ergo the customer should get a free drink or something to make up the difference.
    tiki
    Filet Mignon
    • Total Posts : 4140
    RE: restaurants that ruin sandwiches 2004/10/04 14:29:42 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by TJ Jackson

This saves on both labor and food costs, and ergo the customer should get a free drink or something to make up the difference.

yeah right! I assume you have never actually OWNED a resteraunt.
    Goose
    Hamburger
    • Total Posts : 81
    RE: restaurants that ruin sandwiches 2004/10/04 14:30:07 (permalink)
    Have you lost your mind?

two words:

Jack Nicolson
    emsmom
    Double Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 955
    RE: restaurants that ruin sandwiches 2004/10/04 14:32:52 (permalink)
    It is not a big deal. I was just responding to the question on this forum about restaurants that ruin sandwiches. I know how to order my sandwiches. Your comment was out of line
    quote:
    Originally posted by wallhd

So what's the big deal? Tell them you want a chicken salad sandwich with none of the other crap on it
    jeepguy
    • Total Posts : 1555
    RE: restaurants that ruin sandwiches 2004/10/04 15:16:57 (permalink)
    I can eat a corned beef on rye or a onion roll, with or without swiss, plenty of butter and only yellow mustard. I like Kaufmanns (sp) deli in Skokie IL for my corned beef, new pickles, onion rolls and chopped liver. Aside from the pushy clientele "kinda like the Board of Trade" it's an awesome deli.
    UncleVic
    Sirloin
    • Total Posts : 6025
    RE: restaurants that ruin sandwiches 2004/10/04 15:17:53 (permalink)
    Maybe there's an employee that has yet to learn about roadfood dining... Could be the newcommer is trying to be polite and offer every variation they can think of to keep you and their tip jar happy... Give them 6 months or a year, then feel free to tear into them! Nothing worse then having a grump tear into some rookie, destroying their day, thus resulting in poor service for everyone else that steps thru the door...
    UncleVic
    Sirloin
    • Total Posts : 6025
    RE: restaurants that ruin sandwiches 2004/10/04 15:32:27 (permalink)
    quote:

I somewhat agree with TJ here.. If you dont want something, just mention it, but giving something free (like a free drink) is crazy. Why remove 5 cents worth of lettuce and give them 35 cents of beverage? Not to mention the cook and or Chef slows down having to read the special order ticket (More time consuming)... ?
    TJ Jackson
    Filet Mignon
    RE: restaurants that ruin sandwiches 2004/10/04 16:15:04 (permalink)
    nah, the average soft beverage cost is like 5 cents a serving, very very cheap, high margin stuff
    chezkatie
    • Total Posts : 1329
    RE: restaurants that ruin sandwiches 2004/10/04 16:59:13 (permalink)
    quote:

In my humble opinion, if you change the way anything is prepared, you are asking for extra labor so why in the world would you be entited to something free?
    danimal15
    RE: restaurants that ruin sandwiches 2004/10/04 17:07:00 (permalink)
    quote:

Well, around here there is a very, very popular sandwich called a reuben. Been around a long time, as long as I can remember. Without detailing, two of the main ingredients are corned beef and swiss cheese.

So the opening post of this thread seems a somewhat excessively intolerant to me. I realize their are dietary restrictions for certain religions (such as judaism) as well as physical dietary limitations (lactose intolerance?) that might make such a sandwich offlimits, but can't understand why one might consider such a combination so abhorrent purely from an attitudinal perspective as to make mention of it here.

I mean, my god, there are people out there eating lutefisk! :-)

I admit to being slightly intolerant. (Not just about food, either)
    Grampy
    • Total Posts : 1559
    RE: restaurants that ruin sandwiches 2004/10/04 17:10:33 (permalink)
    Hold the chicken salad.
    chezkatie
    • Total Posts : 1329
    RE: restaurants that ruin sandwiches 2004/10/04 17:14:27 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by danimal15

I was at a "deli" in downtown Chicago once where I ordered a corned beef sandwich and they asked me if I wanted cheese on it. It goes without saying I never returned. I've also been to places that offer cheese on an Italian beef sandwich (sacrilege, I say).

Anyone else have an example of a restaurant that offers to ruin its sandwiches in a similar manner?

"Ruining" a sandwich is strictly opinion. If a restaurant offers a sandwich not prepared as you want it, all you have to do is to tell them to leave off the cheese, omit the lettuce and tomato, hold the gravy, skip the mayo or whatever. This has always worked for me.
    cleveland66
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 129
    RE: restaurants that ruin sandwiches 2004/10/04 17:33:43 (permalink)
    Here in the great state of Louisiana, you can't order any sandwich without getting it "dressed" (lettuce, mayo, tomato, pickles). I mean ANY sandwich. You have to be very specific about what you want on these things, or you end up with tomato mixed into your sauerkraut. Blecchhh...
    harriet1954
    • Total Posts : 1165
    RE: restaurants that ruin sandwiches 2004/10/04 19:19:10 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by chezkatie

quote:

In my humble opinion, if you change the way anything is prepared, you are asking for extra labor so why in the world would you be entited to something free?

I don't eat onions or peppers. Can you imagine how much free stuff I'd have by now? Man! Maybe I should start asking for free iced teas at our favorite diner when I ask her to leave the onions off the salad! What a great idea!!!
    LegalLady
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 404
    RE: restaurants that ruin sandwiches 2004/10/04 20:03:31 (permalink)
    Ok, I will try again, really I am not a bad sort!

What really really ruins sandwichs for me is lettuce that is starting to turn brown, and tomatos that are NOT ripe!

I love sandwichs more than any other type of food, but the above seems to be happening more and more!

The Lady
    North County
    Junior Burger
    • Total Posts : 17
    RE: restaurants that ruin sandwiches 2004/10/04 20:03:53 (permalink)

Yes, the high margin items helps the place stay open.

The drinks pay the bills.
    Michael Hoffman
    Double-chop Porterhouse
    • Total Posts : 18629
    RE: restaurants that ruin sandwiches 2004/10/04 21:01:53 (permalink)
    I once ordered a "Kosher Corned Beef Sandwich" at a Holiday Inn in Charleston, West Virginia. It arrived on white beard with mayonnaise, lettuce, tomato and onion.
    LatkeGravy
    Junior Burger
    • Total Posts : 1
    RE: restaurants that ruin sandwiches 2004/10/04 22:08:07 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by Michael Hoffman

I once ordered a "Kosher Corned Beef Sandwich" at a Holiday Inn in Charleston, West Virginia. It arrived on white beard with mayonnaise, lettuce, tomato and onion.

I'm always taken aback when a sandwhich arrives on a white beard; were you dining during the Christmas season, by any chance?

danimal15
    RE: restaurants that ruin sandwiches 2004/10/05 17:15:24 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by chezkatie

quote:
    Originally posted by danimal15

"Ruining" a sandwich is strictly opinion. If a restaurant offers a sandwich not prepared as you want it, all you have to do is to tell them to leave off the cheese, omit the lettuce and tomato, hold the gravy, skip the mayo or whatever. This has always worked for me.

I understand your point, and it makes sense. But it disturbs me that a place would even offer such an untraditional topping for a sandwich, and makes me lose respect for the place even if I don't have to eat it myself. I mean, does Manny's (in Chicago) offer cheese on corned beef? No way. If you asked for it, they'd probably laugh. Now it's a place like that, which respects tradition, where I want my sandwich to come from.
    lleechef
    Sirloin
    • Total Posts : 7012
    RE: restaurants that ruin sandwiches 2004/10/05 17:36:44 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by LatkeGravy

quote:

I'm always taken aback when a sandwhich arrives on a white beard; were you dining during the Christmas season, by any chance?

No silly, he was in North Pole, Alaska where all sandwiches are served on white beard!
    Michael Hoffman
    Double-chop Porterhouse
    • Total Posts : 18629
    RE: restaurants that ruin sandwiches 2004/10/05 18:05:00 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by LatkeGravy

quote:

Nope. It was September. Of course, it was the same restaurant where a waitress told me they had very nice SHAAB-liss, and red wine, too.
    Page: 12 > Showing page 1 of 2 - Powered by APG vNext Trial
    Jump to:
    © 2014 APG vNext Trial Version 5.1