Sign In | Register for Free!
Restaurants Recipes Forums EatingTours Merchandise FAQ Maps Insider
Forum Themes:
Welcome !

ribs & bbq in Chicagoland

Change Page: < 12 | Showing page 2 of 2, messages 31 to 42 of 42
michaelgemmell

• Total Posts: 673
RE: ribs & bbq in Chicagoland Thu, 01/13/05 8:47 PM (permalink)
Buddy, the more I think about the location you mention for Country Smoke House, the more it makes me think of a place called Biasetti's my brother and I frequented for ribs, until he reported they had gone downhill. Biasetti's was/is on the south side of Irving Park Road, and I remember it as being on the corner of the first street west of Ashland. They had a guy that played the organ and sang for years, and in addition to two long dining rooms they had an additional dining room in the next storefront to the east that was obviously used for private parties. Could this be the same location?

"Extremism in the search for perfect ribs is no vice."

BuddyRoadhouse

• Total Posts: 4074
    RE: ribs & bbq in Chicagoland Mon, 01/17/05 8:48 PM (permalink)
    Michaelgemmel-here's the timeline: Country Smokehouse was originally called NN Smokehouse and was owned by a guy named Larry Tucker. Larry opened NN in the early '90s and was proclaimed by several Chicago publications to have the best 'que in town. Larry was the victim of some skulldeggery on the part of his landlord who quadrupled his rent and chased him out even though Larry was running a successfull business and paying his rent. After closing NN, Larry went to work for several other restaurants, one of them being Biasetti's (which happens to be about 3/4 of a block west of Country Smokehouse, on the same side of the street).

Now, here's where it gets a little murky. Larry's old assistant cooks somehow managed to reopen the old location with the new name of Country Smokehouse. Because of loyalty to Larry, it took me a long time to get back in there. Eventually the craving for good 'que overwhelmed my sense of decency (how often have we heard that sad tale) and I went back in for a brisket sandwich. Well I have to say they have maintained the recipes and quality with which Larry infused the original place. I have been going back ever since. And now the kicker: The "LT" in LT's Grill in my original post is none other than Larry Tucker! Amidst all the nonsense, he reopened at a new location (Grand and Wood, the old location of the original Wishbone Restaurant). The only problem is, Larry's only open for lunch right now and I just don't get into the city much during the day. If you're looking for some of the only good barbecue in Chicago I would heartily reccomend either one of these two spots.

ppezalla

RE: ribs & bbq in Chicagoland Sun, 01/23/05 4:05 PM (permalink)
      I am hosting an international fishing tournament in Chicago next September and would like to set dinner and meeting for about 50-75 people at a bbq joint. Does anyone know of a place with decent bbq and a private room for that many people? Close to Northerly Island (Meigs Field)/ McCormick Place would be nice.

Michael Hoffman

• Total Posts: 17833
        RE: ribs & bbq in Chicagoland Sun, 01/23/05 5:11 PM (permalink)
        quote:
        Originally posted by ppezalla

I am hosting an international fishing tournament in Chicago next September and would like to set dinner and meeting for about 50-75 people at a bbq joint. Does anyone know of a place with decent bbq and a private room for that many people? Close to Northerly Island (Meigs Field)/ McCormick Place would be nice.

The Carpmasters Classic on the Chicago River?

ppezalla

RE: ribs & bbq in Chicagoland Sun, 01/23/05 5:24 PM (permalink)
          quote:

Close. It is the Chicago Carp Classic and it will be held on Northerly Island and Burnham Harbour rather than the Chicago River. Bigger fish and more bank space.

Michael Hoffman

RE: ribs & bbq in Chicagoland Sun, 01/23/05 5:38 PM (permalink)
            quote:

quote:

Close. It is the Chicago Carp Classic and it will be held on Northerly Island and Burnham Harbour rather than the Chicago River. Bigger fish and more bank space.

And let me guess -- you're the guy with that terrific carp bait from England. Right?

ppezalla

RE: ribs & bbq in Chicagoland Sun, 01/23/05 6:30 PM (permalink)
              quote:

And let me guess -- you're the guy with that terrific carp bait from England. Right?

Yes, and not only England but also Spain, Italy, South Arfica and even the USA.

Seems like I should know you. Have we meet?

Michael Hoffman

RE: ribs & bbq in Chicagoland Sun, 01/23/05 6:33 PM (permalink)
                quote:

quote:

Yes, and not only England but also Spain, Italy, South Arfica and even the USA.

Seems like I should know you. Have we meet?

Sort of. We've been in contact in the past on an outdoor forum. I'm an outdoor writer.

BuddyRoadhouse

• Total Posts: 4074
                  RE: ribs & bbq in Chicagoland Tue, 01/25/05 8:20 PM (permalink)
                  quote:

ppezalla, the animal you are hunting, unfortunately, does not exist. Northerly Island is on the lakefront directly east of the Loop and downtown. There is nothing that even approaches a real 'Que joint anywhere near that area. The closest places that serve decent barbecue are either on the south side or near-north side. Of those, I don't know of any that will accommodate a group of the size you've described. If you can arrange for a hall, I would highly recommend catering from Country Smoke House (773)327-0600. Other good options for this scenario would be LT's Grill, Leon's, or Fat Willy's Rib Shack. Wish I could be of more help. There must be others out there with an opinion.

mousec

• Total Posts: 298
                    RE: ribs & bbq in Chicagoland Tue, 01/25/05 8:36 PM (permalink)
                    ppezalla -

Why bbq? Chicago does so some many things so well why choose a food group that is Chicaogo is not noted for. My suggestion to you would be to seek out a great Mexican restaraunt such as Nuevo Leon for your party. The food is outstanding, it is BYOB so you will get more bang for your buck.

If Mexican is not an option how about Chinese or pizza (always a great group outing food item). You are not far from our Chinatown and there are a number of establishments that are well versed in handling large groups. If you decide on pizza my sugesstion would be to stay away from the Uno and Due's and Giordano's (these are to trendy and commercial) and try a local establishment such as Lou Malnatis or Nancy's stuffed pizza.

ppezalla

RE: ribs & bbq in Chicagoland Wed, 01/26/05 11:31 PM (permalink)
                      Good points, it might be best to forget the BBQ. Pizza doesn't do much for me personally but I am sure it would be great for most out-ot-towners. Plus, pizza joints are usually set up for groups.

mousec

• Total Posts: 298
                        RE: ribs & bbq in Chicagoland Sat, 01/29/05 8:20 PM (permalink)
                        ppezalla -

If you are still interested in Chicago bbq check out the latest posts on Chowhound.com (Chicago site). There is current discussion relative to the best bbq in Chi-town. You may be able to pick-up a few suggestions.

Online Bookmarks Sharing: Share/Bookmark
                          Change Page: < 12 | Showing page 2 of 2, messages 31 to 42 of 42

Jump to:

Current active users

There are 0 members and 1 guests.

Icon Legend and Permission

• New Messages
                          • No New Messages
                          • Hot Topic w/ New Messages
                          • Hot Topic w/o New Messages
                          • Locked w/ New Messages
                          • Locked w/o New Messages
                          • Read Message
                          • Post New Thread
                          • Reply to message
                          • Post New Poll
                          • Submit Vote
                          • Post reward post
                          • Delete my own posts
                          • Delete my own threads
                          • Rate post

2000-2014 ASPPlayground.NET Forum Version 3.9
                          What is Roadfood?  |   Privacy Policy  |   Contact Roadfood.com   Copyright 2011 - Roadfood.com