road trip from SC to Daytona/New Smyrna Beach, Fla In search of BBQ

Author
dane18
Junior Burger
  • Total Posts : 8
2010/02/24 18:04:39 (permalink)

road trip from SC to Daytona/New Smyrna Beach, Fla In search of BBQ

Hello fellow Roadfood friends! I had a fairly good trip to Daytona and New Smyrna Beach from SC. I took some advice and ate at the Smokin' Pig in Richmond Hill, GA on the way down. Despite accurate directions, was glad we had a GPS. It was ok, we both had BBQ sandwiches, I tried the Brunswick stew for a side and it was put on a sectioned plate - not what I would call stew. I wouldn't make an effort to find it again. On the way back we found Allen's BBQ in Brunswick, GA, there are two locations. Ours was in a strip mall and really good. I tried the Brunswick stew and this time it was very good, thick and in a cup. I had ribs and my husband had brisket. Both were seasoned well, tender and the sauce was just right - I like mustard based and the hot one was mustard. I have decided Brunswick stew is a tomatoe based vegetable soup with some pork added. I am still hooked on our southern hash, that I think you can only find in SC and maybe NC, Here in Greenville, SC, Henry's is the best! I have had others and some home made stuff that the recipe for is about 5 pounds of this and 5 pounds of that and we aren't sure we really want to know the ingredients!
While in Florida, we left the Saturday Nationwide race, FREEZING and wishing we had stayed in SC to see the one prettiest snow of the year but we came upon a place called the River Grill on Tomoka River north of Ormond Beach, which is where they routed traffic - 40 miles north of where we were heading, It was very good, the lobster bisque hit the spot after being so cold all day and the seafood platter was offered in small or large portions. The small was good and just enough. I don't remember what my husband had but he was happy with it - probably salmon. Our trip started out cold in upstate SC and as soon as we got into Georgia it started raining hard and cold. We thought we were making a smart decision to drive instead of fly since it is about an 8 hour drive, but I 95 is nothing to see but pine trees and salt marshes - after a traffic jam in Jacksonville that lasted an hour, I was wishing we had flown. We got to a beautiful suite at the Holiday Inn in New Smyrna Beach and I had brought peanuts, chips, breakfast bars, chocolates and drinks so we watched the opening of the Olympics and were shocked to see footage of the luge athlete getting killed. We got hungry about 11:00 p.m. and went to B.J.'s Bar/Grill and had a spinach/feta pizza that was good.
The next day the sun came out so the Daytona 500 wasn't quite so cold, but if anybody paid any attention to the race, you will know there was an hour and a half delay because of a hole in the asphalt, then they started the race again and had to stop again to try and patch the hole. We sat in traffic Saturday for hours after the Nationwide race and decided to leave and get ahead of twice as much traffic. We made it back to our hotel room and watched the end of the race in a warm room with an ocean view. Then got hungry. I had checked Trip Advisor and GPS for local restaurants and Norwood's Wine Bar and Restaurant were on the list of close places in New Smyrna Beach but no reviews. The three times we came by there the parking lot was packed. So we went for Valentine's supper and it was GREAT. Good food, good wait staff, timely and cheerful service. I couldn't have asked for better! We had scallops for an appetizer - not bacon wrapped, sauteed and with some kind of wasabi noodles as a nest for them. I can't remember what my husband had - again, some kind of fish and I don't care for fish as much as I try - but his was good and not fishy. We waited at the bar for a table, but only long enough to order a drink. The bartender said he had been there for 10 years and made me a great Margarita from scratch. I would say this place is really worth trying as was the River Grill, it had a great sunset view over the river, even though it was unseasonably cold they had the porch enclosed with plastic and propane heaters out there. We had enough of the cold and being outside. This is the first race I have been to - maybe 8 in all - that I didn't drink a beer, though my sweet husband carried around a six pack cooler all day - it was too cold for a beer. And I can't believe we drove that far and left before the race was over! Not going to do that next year, my racing season will be limited to races near here and the last one in Homestead-Miami in November, then we will go to the Keys for a last warm blast before winter sets in! And by the way, I am the race fan, not my husband, so I dragged him on this trip and he had to drive, and freeze. So he is a good man and a good sport. Thanks for your advice, hope if you read this far you enjoy or it helps you in your future travels! Diane

6 Replies Related Threads

Nancypalooza
    Filet Mignon
    • Total Posts : 3778
    Re:road trip from SC to Daytona/New Smyrna Beach, Fla In search of BBQ 2010/02/24 21:29:36 (permalink)
    Dane18 it sounds like you guys had a lovely time and some good food!  But I think you just wrote a trip report.  :)
    mayor al
    Fire Safety Admin
    • Total Posts : 15321
    Re:road trip from SC to Daytona/New Smyrna Beach, Fla In search of BBQ 2010/02/25 09:32:43 (permalink)
    Diane
      Welcome to Roadfood.  As Nancy suggested I think your report belongs in the Trip Report Forum, and I will move it there shortly.

A suggestion.  Break up your report into shorter paragraph form. It makes it much easier to read, and for you to edit, should you decide to do that.

We hope to read more of your travels in the future.

Mayor AL
    Lanesville, Indiana
    dane18
    Junior Burger
    • Total Posts : 8
    Re:road trip from SC to Daytona/New Smyrna Beach, Fla In search of BBQ 2010/02/25 14:38:32 (permalink)
    I know, there is no Reader's Digest verson of anything I say! Sorry! I get carried away!
    mayor al
    Fire Safety Admin
    • Total Posts : 15321
    Re:road trip from SC to Daytona/New Smyrna Beach, Fla In search of BBQ 2010/02/25 14:55:35 (permalink)
    Hey... I wasn't being critical of the volume or the wording of your journal. It covered the trip very well. I just wanted to point out that if you spaced between paragraphs, and made those paragraphs a bit shorter (lines used-wise), then old geezers like me and Michael Hoffman can read them a bit easier !
    Michael Hoffman
    Double-chop Porterhouse
    • Total Posts : 18859
    Re:road trip from SC to Daytona/New Smyrna Beach, Fla In search of BBQ 2010/02/25 15:15:16 (permalink)
    Whachoo talking 'bout Willis? I didn't have any trouble reading the post.
    sk bob
    Double Chili Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 1801
    Re:road trip from SC to Daytona/New Smyrna Beach, Fla In search of BBQ 2010/02/27 17:55:19 (permalink)
    dane18, good report.
    next time you head this way let me know, I'll be glad to show you & your husband around.
    last weekend was in the 70's but this week & weekend was in the high 50's & low 60's. I'M FREEZIN!
    Jump to:
    © 2014 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1