roadfood app on iPhone and iPod touch

Page: < 12 Showing page 2 of 2
Author
Davydd
Sirloin
  • Total Posts : 6432
RE: roadfood app on iPhone and iPod touch 2009/11/21 17:37:57 (permalink)
ellen4641
DAVYDD : Do you know if I can add apps like Roadfood, Yelp, and Chowhound to my home screen?
It's neat that my new phone came with  Facebook and Youtube widgets right on the home page, but I'd love to add MORE !!

Ellen,

I'm not familiar with the Verizon Rogue. I have the iPhone. Yelp created a custom app for the iPhone that you can download from the iTunes store. Many of the apps are custom creations that present the same info that can be found on their regular web site. The information in an app is presented in a unique easier to read and navigational way as opposed to either a duplication of a full website screen or a pared down text presentation that is typical with optional mobile designed websites. Facebook apps on all phones are an example of what an app is as opposed to a browser presentation. Right now there is no Roadfood app. I don't know about Chowhound. However, I can access and read Roadfood and Chowhound forums in the iPhone Safari browser with little problem. The iPhone has dynamic two touch resizing of web pages and a landscape view to see more width. The only problem I have is replying to read messages since there is no smartphone you can touch type on. I do tweet on Twitter and update on Facebook since they limit the number of characters you can type anyway. This message I am typing I would never attempt on a smartphone using only two fingers or thumbs.

With the iPhone Safari browser I can bookmark pages just like in a regular browser or I can choose to add a clickable icon like an app on my screen so I can go right to that website with one touch. The icon is usually a screen capture of the page but some websites automatically default to a custom icon if you do that. That's kind of a cheap trick to get a semi looking app without having to do much. Two newspapers went so far to detect which hardware I was using and switch over to their mobile view automatically.

I have seven different radio apps but really only need two to listen to all the stations I normally listen to at home. I think I probably have every radio station in the country covered.

I think I filled up my iPhone screens with desired apps when the iTunes store had about 25,000 apps. Now they have over 100,000 so I suspect in not keeping up that there are a lot of apps I could find useful if I took the time. As it is, what I have seem to keep me plenty occupied. With the ones I have it seems there are about a dozen updates every week making them better.

BTW, apps are basically the same as widgets. Just different terminology.
post edited by Davydd - 2009/11/21 17:41:12
ellen4641
Filet Mignon
  • Total Posts : 3531
RE: roadfood app on iPhone and iPod touch 2009/11/28 10:10:22 (permalink)
thanks so much for all the apps. info, DavyDD !!
My Roadfood comes up pretty good on my Rogue phone...
and I love my full keyboard so I can type with a full hand , just like I would on my computer...having NAILS helps!!)
wheregreggeats.com
Filet Mignon
  • Total Posts : 4615
RE: roadfood app on iPhone and iPod touch 2009/11/28 10:23:50 (permalink)
I am starting down the road of learning how to do this.

A slow process, I am afraid.

Rick F.
Double Chili Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 1736
RE: roadfood app on iPhone and iPod touch 2009/11/28 13:28:43 (permalink)
I just loaded Roadfood Mobile and was surprised to find that it omitted a restaurant reviewed on Roadfood some time ago (Mama's, in Natchitoches, LA). How come?
Bruce Bilmes and Susan Boyle
Double Chili Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 1350
RE: roadfood app on iPhone and iPod touch 2009/11/28 13:51:02 (permalink)
I'm not certain of this, but I believe the download includes only those restaurants reviewed by the Roadfood.com editors.
Stephen Rushmore Jr.
Fire Safety Admin
  • Total Posts : 2130
RE: roadfood app on iPhone and iPod touch 2009/11/28 17:18:27 (permalink)
I believe Bruce is correct
oDey in LA
Hamburger
  • Total Posts : 57
RE: roadfood app on iPhone and iPod touch 2009/12/06 20:18:20 (permalink)
bill voss

Russ Jackson

Iphone or the Itouch are amazing products. I love my Itouch. For those of you who do not own one you need to look into it. A roadfood app would be great....Russ

I agree. I love my touch. Don't need the phone part.

AroundMe

Amen on the touch iPod. It is GREAT. Would very much like to see an app for Roadfood.... PULEEZE  
tdietzvt
Junior Burger
  • Total Posts : 3
RE: roadfood app on iPhone and iPod touch 2010/06/09 16:46:00 (permalink)
I must confess I'm frustrated with Road Food in a way that would be solved with an iPhone/iPad app.  Please, please take seriously having one developed.  I'd happily pay several dollars for it on top of the annual sub.

Here's my frustration.  My wife and I were last week in Seattle had suddenly had time for a Road Food lunch.  We had a Tom-Tom GPS with Road Food places marked.  We were able to drive to either Red Mill Burgers or Mae's Phinney Ridge Cafe which are close together.  Of course the Tom-Tom app gives no information about either of them, just the location and that they are "Road Food" places.  Trying to use an iPhone browser on the road (no WiFi) with the Road Food site is just not reasonable.  So we picked  Mae's at random.  

It was  interesting but the food was not that special.  Once we could read the online commentary on Mae's, it says just that.

So why in the world include a place that Jane and Michael don't think has special food in the list of places on the Tom-Tom?  We feel like we wasted the opportunity, and this comes up time and again.  I once remember driving 45 minutes for lunch to discover that the place served only ice cream!

Please develop an iPhone app so we can actually make intelligent choices while on the road.  

Tony Bad
Fire Safety Admin
  • Total Posts : 5117
RE: roadfood app on iPhone and iPod touch 2010/06/09 17:04:00 (permalink)
tdietzvt

Trying to use an iPhone browser on the road (no WiFi) with the Road Food site is just not reasonable.  

Wondering why this is? I don't have an iPhone, but have used 3G to access the regular roadfood site while on road without any issues. Granted it isn't as fast as with wifi, but it wasn't like dial-up either. Was the coverage bad in the area you were located?  Not sure how it works with iPhone, but many (most) android travel related apps still requite web access to update info, put you on map, etc...so if web access isn't good enough to access regular site, an app might not be very helpful either.

post edited by Tony Bad - 2010/06/09 17:06:04
tdietzvt
Junior Burger
  • Total Posts : 3
RE: roadfood app on iPhone and iPod touch 2010/06/09 17:31:29 (permalink)
Interesting.  We find that access to, for example, gmail or google or other apps that require 3G use are reasonable but no browser we have found is faster than glacial, and access to the Road Food site particularly difficult since it is not really well designed for folks using mobile devices, imho.  Too many steps to get to information on a place.
Davydd
Sirloin
  • Total Posts : 6432
RE: roadfood app on iPhone and iPod touch 2010/06/09 17:44:31 (permalink)
I have no problem accessing the Roadfood.com website in its full browser glory (not mobile) with the iPhone 3G. I just can't post a message to the forums because of the ASPPlayground.NET forum software which Stephen says has a fix coming.
Tony Bad
Fire Safety Admin
RE: roadfood app on iPhone and iPod touch 2010/06/09 21:40:46 (permalink)
Davydd

I have no problem accessing the Roadfood.com website in its full browser glory (not mobile) with the iPhone 3G. I just can't post a message to the forums because of the ASPPlayground.NET forum software which Stephen says has a fix coming.

That is an issue with Android as well.
Tony Bad
Fire Safety Admin
RE: roadfood app on iPhone and iPod touch 2010/06/09 21:47:25 (permalink)
tdietzvt

Interesting.  We find that access to, for example, gmail or google or other apps that require 3G use are reasonable but no browser we have found is faster than glacial, and access to the Road Food site particularly difficult since it is not really well designed for folks using mobile devices, imho.  Too many steps to get to information on a place.

Again, not sure how it works on iPhone, (as I got stuck with android due to lack of a decent ATT signal), but I find if I leave my wifi "on" in an area where there is no wifi, the system seems to dedicate all resources toward locating a wifi signal and browsing is glacially slow like you describe or sometimes just hangs. If I toggle wifi to off (through settings or an app I installed) 3G works MUCH better. Just a thought.

We are all so spoiled my modern tech. It wasn't that long ago I was thrilled with by 14K dial up on my gigantic desktop with the thumb drive sized hard drive. Now I moan when my pocket computer is a bit slow. Go figure.
Twinwillow
Sirloin
  • Total Posts : 5120
RE: roadfood app on iPhone and iPod touch 2011/09/02 19:22:19 (permalink)
Tony Bad

tdietzvt

Again, not sure how it works on iPhone, (as I got stuck with android due to lack of a decent ATT signal), but I find if I leave my wifi "on" in an area where there is no wifi, the system seems to dedicate all resources toward locating a wifi signal and browsing is glacially slow like you describe or sometimes just hangs. If I toggle wifi to off (through settings or an app I installed) 3G works MUCH better. Just a thought.

We are all so spoiled my modern tech. It wasn't that long ago I was thrilled with by 14K dial up on my gigantic desktop with the thumb drive sized hard drive. Now I moan when my pocket computer is a bit slow. Go figure.

Ain't that the truth!
Page: < 12 Showing page 2 of 2
Jump to:
© 2014 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1