The most memorable local eateries along the highways and back roads of America
Sign In | Register for Free!
Restaurants Recipes Forums EatingTours Merchandise FAQ Maps Insider

running a maxwell street type polish stand

cvn73folks

• Total Posts: 5
running a maxwell street type polish stand Sat, 01/12/08 8:53 PM (permalink)
Hi guys. i am neww to this board and was wondering how much it whould cost if i started a maxwell style polish stand from strach or whould it be cheaper to do it on a truck.I also whould like to know if i should substitute the polish with a cheaper brand

myterry2

• Total Posts: 526
    RE: running a maxwell street type polish stand Sat, 01/12/08 9:23 PM (permalink)
    Anytime you change from a top quality brand to an el-cheapo, it equates to lost customers..and a failed business in most cases. I started a Chicago style hot dog stand in Houston years ago...the building was already a former resturant..and I think I had almost 75-90K in it before I opened the doors. But, I set it up as your were walking into a Chicago style place. A truck would be cheaper..but you need to do your homework if your starting with a low budget.

Dr of BBQ

• Total Posts: 3716
      • Roadfood Insider
      RE: running a maxwell street type polish stand Sun, 01/13/08 12:10 AM (permalink)
      quote:
      Originally posted by cvn73folks
      Hi guys. i am neww to this board and was wondering how much it whould cost if i started a maxwell style polish stand from strach or whould it be cheaper to do it on a truck.I also whould like to know if i should substitute the polish with a cheaper brand

What exactly is a maxwell style polish stand? Are we talking cart here, or what in my mind is a concession stand? A concession stand in centrail Illinois is a pretty flimsy operation, no disrepect meant.
      I'm just curious.
      Jack

chicagostyledog

• Total Posts: 3217
        RE: running a maxwell street type polish stand Sun, 01/13/08 12:42 AM (permalink)
        A "Maxwell Street Polish" is a 4/1 or 5/1 NATURAL CASING that's grilled. It's served on a steamed poppy seed bun and dressed with grilled onions, brown Dusseldorf mustard & sport peppers. It's not a boiled skinless that's dressed Chicago style. If you notice the signs on the stand below, the Polish always took "top billing" and the pork chop sandwich always played second fiddle.

Jim's Original cart on Maxwell Street & Halsted 1939

Jim's Original stand on Maxwell Street & Halsted 1968

CSD PhD Professor of Hot Dogs

Foodbme

• Total Posts: 9527
          RE: running a maxwell street type polish stand Sun, 01/13/08 2:36 AM (permalink)
          CSD,
          I'm curious-- How did they serve the pork chop??

MiamiDon

RE: running a maxwell street type polish stand Sun, 01/13/08 7:41 AM (permalink)
            Is that CVN73folks as in this bad boy?

chicagostyledog

RE: running a maxwell street type polish stand Sun, 01/13/08 11:23 AM (permalink)
              quote:
              Originally posted by Foodbme

CSD,
              I'm curious-- How did they serve the pork chop?

Photo courtesy of G Wiv

Grilled with a slight char, grilled onions & mustard.

CSD Phd Professor of Hot Dogs

wheregreggeats.com

RE: running a maxwell street type polish stand Sun, 01/13/08 11:48 AM (permalink)
                quote:
                Originally posted by chicagostyledog

quote:

CSD,
                That looks really good.

Photo courtesy of G Wiv

MiamiDon

RE: running a maxwell street type polish stand Sun, 01/13/08 1:34 PM (permalink)
                  quote:
                  Originally posted by chicagostyledog

quote:

CSD,

That looks delicious! And, in the same spirit as a Chicago Beef, risky business when one is in office clothes.

cvn73folks

• Total Posts: 5
                    RE: running a maxwell street type polish stand Sun, 01/13/08 3:55 PM (permalink)
                    thats right i was stationed on the uss geaorge washington cvn73 from 90 to 94.as far as the stand for the maxwell street polish i want the same set up but a cheaper model with the same results if possible i want that setup in a truck.i have been doing research online but i just want to make sure i get the right equipment and dont pay to much for it or get stuff that i dont need.

Dr of BBQ

• Total Posts: 3716
                      • Roadfood Insider
                      RE: running a maxwell street type polish stand Sun, 01/13/08 9:58 PM (permalink)
                      Ok so everyone ignored my question: What exactly is a maxwell style polish STAND? It looks like a concession stand? A concession stand in central Illinois is a pretty flimsy operation, no disrespect meant,I'm just curious. I'm impressed that one of them was open 24 hours a day. But back to the question they're just a lean to attached to a house or building right? So can you still do that in Chicago today?
                      Jack

Luvstoeat

• Total Posts: 88
                        RE: running a maxwell street type polish stand Sun, 01/13/08 11:18 PM (permalink)
                        OK.....to (hopefully) clear this subject up. "Maxwell Style Polish Stand" at no time refers to the design or construction of the facility itself. Any type of restaurant, hot dog stand or cart could in reality serve a "Maxwell Style Polish". The pictures which were posted earlier are highlighting what is considered to be the preeminent (indeed the originators) "Maxwell Polish Stand" (from when it was located on Maxwell street in the near west side area of Chicago). I have been a regular customer at Jim's for the better part of the past forty years and what I can tell you is that they take their specially made polish sausage and grill it on what can best be described as a flat-top grill. They also prepare the pork chop sandwiches ahd grilled onions on the same grill. Many (but not all) hot dog stands which serve what they refer to as "Maxwell Style Polish" either prepare them over a flame grill ("Char-Grilled) or deep fry them (both preparations are really bastardizations of the way they are prepared at Jim's). At some point, Vienna beef saw a marketing opportunity by advertising "Maxwell Street" or "Maxwell Style" polish...but believe me...the only place you can get true "Maxwell" polish is from the originators....

kensandyeggo

• Total Posts: 567
                          RE: running a maxwell street type polish stand Tue, 01/15/08 6:40 PM (permalink)
                          Just a little aside....O.K., O.K., maybe a little off topic, but I've been to Maxwell and Halsted quite a few times with my dad and I remember a sandwich joint on the corner that served corned beef sandwiches to die for. I believe you sat at the bar and the "kitchen" would slide them over on an overhead trolley that held maybe 4 plates of orders in a rack hanging from the wire. The bartender would then reach up, get them and place them on the bar for us to eat. This has to be a different joint, doesn't it? Or did Jim's have inside seating and serve great corned beef sandwiches too?

chicagostyledog

RE: running a maxwell street type polish stand Tue, 01/15/08 9:51 PM (permalink)
                            Ken,

Jim's Original never had seating or served corned beef sandwiches. However, Lyon's Deli on Maxwell Street was the place for a corned beef sandwich. Lyon's sold the deli to an employee, who renaned it Nate's Deli after himself. Nate's Deli was Aretha Franklin's diner for the Blue's Brother's movie in 1980. It was demolished in 1995 to make way for UIC expansion.

CSD PhD Professor of Hot Dogs

chicagostyledog

RE: running a maxwell street type polish stand Tue, 01/15/08 10:28 PM (permalink)
                              Ken,

Here's the clip from the Blue's Brothers in Nate's Deli. Check out the old Vienna Beef Polish, Orange Crush, and Blatz Beer signs on the wall. http://www.boreme.com/boreme/funny-2007/blues-brothers-think-p1.php

Enjoy,

Elwood

kensandyeggo

• Total Posts: 567
                                RE: running a maxwell street type polish stand Thu, 01/17/08 4:34 PM (permalink)
                                Summa-na-beech! I just typed for about 10 minutes and my 2 fingers are sore and then this stupid laptop goes back to the forum listing all by itself and everything I typed is gone. Anyway, the joint in the movie is not the one. This one was on a corner and had a huge bar. I can't recall if there was other seating. Like I said, the sandwiches were placed on the overhead trolley and slid over to the bar. I remember they would take a huge hunk of corned beef out of a steam table and slice it as each sandwich was ordered. Now this would have been in prehistoric times for most of you folks, around 1950, give or take a couple. I was 10 years old then.

kdever0

• Total Posts: 1
                                  RE: running a maxwell street type polish stand Wed, 08/20/08 10:18 PM (permalink)
                                  Hello I am from Chicago now living in Kentucky and I miss thoughs maxwell street polish stands especially the one on 95th and state. I want to open up a location here in Kentucky can you please email me information to establish my own please. Also is there an franchise involved or is everyone just using the historic name maxwell?

Online Bookmarks Sharing: Share/Bookmark

Jump to:

Current active users

There are 0 members and 1 guests.

Icon Legend and Permission

• New Messages
                                    • No New Messages
                                    • Hot Topic w/ New Messages
                                    • Hot Topic w/o New Messages
                                    • Locked w/ New Messages
                                    • Locked w/o New Messages
                                    • Read Message
                                    • Post New Thread
                                    • Reply to message
                                    • Post New Poll
                                    • Submit Vote
                                    • Post reward post
                                    • Delete my own posts
                                    • Delete my own threads
                                    • Rate post

2000-2014 ASPPlayground.NET Forum Version 3.9
                                    What is Roadfood?  |   Privacy Policy  |   Contact Roadfood.com   Copyright 2011 - Roadfood.com