running electrical system and getting shocked?

Author
Bistro a go-go
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 171
2013/12/10 23:42:05 (permalink)

running electrical system and getting shocked?

I've built 2 houses, rewired my brick and morter, have a bunch of rental houses and done tons of repairs but never have seen an issue like where I am right now...I'm getting slightly shocked every time I touch the bare metal at the service window, going in and out of all doors, ect. It's not a full on 120v shock but almost like a slight tingle but enough to concern me. I had full system installed and all working. All lights, exhaust fan, circuits and coolers working, just slight shocks. Only running 120v into power box, black, white, green going to right places in box. Running a ground to alum body, ground to the box, ground to trucks meg battery terminal which is grounded to engine and frame. Nothing hooked up to the box, period. No white, black, no breakers. Just the shore power. Why am I getting shocked? A lot of rain and wet ground but I shouldn't be getting this, right?

I ripped out the whole box today and installed a whole new box and it did same thing, getting shocked. What's causing this? Anyone know? Call me if u can I'm not on computer to check mail. Thx Mark. 706-392-2580

3 Replies Related Threads

RodBangkok
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 396
    Re:running electrical system and getting shocked? 2013/12/11 01:14:06 (permalink)
    Google RV Hot Skin, you will find a lot of info, here is one article:

http://camping.about.com/...cal-Dangers-in-RVs.htm

Hope this helps, its almost impossible to troubleshoot this via a forum, especially if you have wired both the truck and the land connection.  

But I'd start with insuring your land connection is wired correctly.

post edited by RodBangkok - 2013/12/11 01:27:15
    BelCibo
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 166
    Re:running electrical system and getting shocked? 2013/12/11 08:14:03 (permalink)
    Unplug your shore power and using an ohm meter verify that you have opens between all your wires.

If it is only your window getting you , ohm check from the window to all wires and see if it is shorted somehow.  If you measure AC from the window to your floor I would imagine you will see some voltage there.  You should also measure a short  from the floor to the window and to ground.

I had a pinched wire on a light that shorted on mine.
    Bistro a go-go
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 171
    Re:running electrical system and getting shocked? 2013/12/11 08:42:21 (permalink)
    I'll post my results but the hot skin issue may have nailed it. Wow, thanks.

Also, although I've wired my last two houses but my truck is being built at mother in laws house built in 1967 and I know its right. Thx, Mark
    Jump to:
    © 2014 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1