salad w/o oil

Author
NYNM
Filet Mignon
  • Total Posts : 3053
2007/04/23 18:14:47 (permalink)

salad w/o oil

They say that the downfall of salads for dieters is the dressings filled with sugar, oil, etc. So I like to experimeent - a delicious salad is grilled chicken with lots of herbs and/or spices cut up with mandarin oranges. The orange juice and spices form their own lo fat "dressing" Yum. Also, prepared mustards (not Frenchs but other interetsing types) with some good vinegar - good. Green beans with a bit of vinegar, too.

Other ideas?

19 Replies Related Threads

catosaurus
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 293
    RE: salad w/o oil 2007/04/23 18:25:18 (permalink)
    I'm a WeightWatchers person and work very hard to eliminate those high-fat dressings from my universe. One of my favorite dressings is:

Juice of one lemon
    Garlic powder to taste (I use about 1/8 tsp)
    Salt and pepper to taste
    1/2 - 1 tsp good, flavorful olive oil

Juice the lemon and sprinkle in the garlic powder, salt and pepper. Put in fridge while preparing salad ingredients. When ready to serve, add olive oil to juice and mix. Pour over salad. Sprinkling 1 Tbl. of grated parmesan cheese over the lettuce adds a lot of flavor, and helps the dressing to adhere better to the lettuce.

This should be enough to dress a very generous salad (4 - 6 cups of greens).
    catosaurus
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 293
    RE: salad w/o oil 2007/04/23 18:28:41 (permalink)
    ... I should also add my other favorite:

1 tsp dijon mustard
    Salt and pepper to taste
    1 tsp balsamic vinegar
    2 tsp other flavorful vinegar (such as sherry, cider, rice, etc.)
    1/2 - 1 tsp good olive oil

Mix salt and pepper into dijon mustard, and slowly blend in balsamic vinegar. When smooth, add remaining vinegar and oil. (I've even tried this dressing without the oil entirely, and it's amazingly tasty.)
    Greyghost
    Double Chili Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 1336
    RE: salad w/o oil 2007/04/23 18:35:05 (permalink)
    You can make creamy dressings with plain non fat yogurt, just add the stuff you like to it or make clones of such things as ranch dressing. I find it a healthy alternative for all kinds of recipes.
    Donna Douglass
    Double Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 508
    RE: salad w/o oil 2007/04/23 18:45:21 (permalink)
    My favorite dressing is just pure extra virgin Olive oil from a little spray bottle, with salt and pepper. I love that simple dressing and it's not overdone because of the very fine spray from the dispenser.

I like a good buttermilk ranch dressing and blue cheese dressings, but use those sparingly and only as a treat occasionally. Sometimes I do add a tiny bit of vinegar to the olive oil/salt and pepper combo, but not very often.

Donna
    salsailsa
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 405
    RE: salad w/o oil 2007/04/23 18:57:59 (permalink)
    I usually cut down the amount of oil in my dressing by substituting chicken broth.
    improviser
    Double Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 865
    RE: salad w/o oil 2007/04/24 09:48:03 (permalink)
    Ranch dressing is my downfall. I've been eating a lot more salads but I can't seem to wean myself off the ranch. I've been off soda for a week now; got to take my vices one at a time. I might try some of these dressing recipes. Thanks everybody!
    enginecapt
    Filet Mignon
    • Total Posts : 3486
    RE: salad w/o oil 2007/04/24 10:14:54 (permalink)
    Fresh squeezed lemon juice and lots of cracked pepper, with or without a little olive oil, is the only way I'll eat salad. I can't stand vinegar, mayo, sour cream, bleu cheese, buttermilk....... I guess it would be easier to say I can't stand 99% of the dressings out there.
    tsores
    Double Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 655
    RE: salad w/o oil 2007/04/24 10:15:10 (permalink)
    I use Good Season's Italian where you add the season packet to vinegar, water and oil. Over the years I have cut the oil down to a tablespoon for about 6 ounces of dressing. Or, I eliminate it all together. Another dressing I use lately was recommended by the owner of a local Greek restaurant. Just splash on red wine vinegar and add oregano and pepper to taste. Quick and tasty.

I do not understand the appeal of oil on salad. It adds very little taste and I see no need for lubrication.
    Adjudicator
    Sirloin
    • Total Posts : 5066
    RE: salad w/o oil 2007/04/24 20:01:19 (permalink)
    Has anyone tried those new salad dressing "spritzers" yet? I think that is a pretty good idea.
    iqdiva
    • Total Posts : 1491
    RE: salad w/o oil 2007/04/24 21:25:35 (permalink)
    My dilemma is that my husband eats salad greens as an excuse to eat salad dressing !
    Theedge
    • Total Posts : 1196
    RE: salad w/o oil 2007/04/24 21:44:05 (permalink)
    Ah yes, salad. We take something that’s inexpensive and contains almost no nutritional value, and load it down with $79.00 worth of yummy cr*p that will be the death of us all. Pass the freaking fork.
    Barney
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 115
    RE: salad w/o oil 2007/04/24 22:09:57 (permalink)
    Adjudicator: I bought Wishbone Balsamic Breeze spritzer a couple of weeks ago and think it's pretty good and it is definately a way to cut down on dressing. Most often though, I use Good Seasons Zesty Italian, cut way back on oil, use half cider vinegar and half balsamic...now, that's my favorite! Barney
    RubyRose
    • Total Posts : 2189
    RE: salad w/o oil 2007/04/24 22:11:53 (permalink)
    NYNM, that sounds good to me.

In summer, when there are vine ripened tomatoes around, I cut one in quarters and remove the seeds. Then I throw it in the blender with some cider vinegar, 1/2 a peeled and seeded cucumber, garlic powder, paprika, dry mustard, salt and pepper and pour over salad greens.
    salsailsa
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 405
    RE: salad w/o oil 2007/04/24 23:47:13 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by Adjudicator

Has anyone tried those new salad dressing "spritzers" yet? I think that is a pretty good idea.

I think they're great! Have had the Red wine vinegar and the italian.
    NYNM
    Filet Mignon
    RE: salad w/o oil 2007/04/26 08:59:37 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by RubyRose

NYNM, that sounds good to me.

In summer, when there are vine ripened tomatoes around, I cut one in quarters and remove the seeds. Then I throw it in the blender with some cider vinegar, 1/2 a peeled and seeded cucumber, garlic powder, paprika, dry mustard, salt and pepper and pour over salad greens.

RR: How creative! It sounds delicious.
    PS: I know you are PennDutch or at least near there. One of my grandmother was PennDutch too. She wasn't much of a cook but she made a fabulous salad with apples, celery, nuts and a mustard dressing. Do you know that one?
    jmckee
    • Total Posts : 1188
    RE: salad w/o oil 2007/04/26 09:58:45 (permalink)
    This is from Barbara Kafka's magnum opus cookbook, Vegetable Love:

Pit and peel one ripe avocado. Put in a blender with a tablespoon of lime juice, two or three peeled and crushed garlic cloves, salt, pepper, a dash of hot sauce, a cup of buttermilk, and a cup of water. Puree until smooth. Taste and reseason.

Low in calories, and all fat is monounsaturated, as in olive oil.

I brought the boss a small container of this last year(he'd been testing out low-cal dressings), and he confessed to licking the last drops out of the container it's so good.

It's also good to drizzle a splash on grilled fish.
    iqdiva
    • Total Posts : 1491
    RE: salad w/o oil 2007/04/26 11:44:42 (permalink)
    NYNM,Here is a classic Waldorf salad recipe with creamy mustard dressing...I hope that this helps. :

Classic Waldorf Salad

A classic Waldorf salad recipe with apples and walnuts.
    INGREDIENTS:
    3 medium golden delicious or red delicious apples (about 2 to 2 1/2 cups cubed)
    1 tablespoon sugar
    1 teaspoon lemon juice
    1 dash salt
    1 cup thinly sliced celery
    1/2 cup coarsely chopped walnuts
    1/4 cup mayonnaise
    1/2 cup whipping cream, whipped
    1 teaspoon Dijon mustard ( or prepared mustard of your choice )
    mixed salad greens
    PREPARATION:
    Directions for Waldorf salad
    Wash apples; core and cut into 1/2-inch cubes. Do not peel. Sprinkle cubed apples with sugar, lemon juice and salt. Add celery and nuts. Fold mayonnaise and mustard into whipped cream. Mix gently into apple,celery,and walnut mixture. Serve on mixed greens.
    NYNM
    Filet Mignon
    RE: salad w/o oil 2007/04/26 15:31:24 (permalink)
    Thanks for the recipre re: Waldorf salad. I remember my granmother made it with a very thin mustard dresssing, probably w/o mayo or cream. I guess the "real" way would be super-cal(orie)!!!

Also re: PennDutch she made another salad with chickory and bacon, with a thin sweet-sour dressing sort of like vinegar + sugar (maybe a tiny oil). Also similar with green beans, onions and sweet/sour dressing. Good memories!!!

RubyRose
    • Total Posts : 2189
    RE: salad w/o oil 2007/04/27 20:38:19 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by NYNM
    PS: I know you are PennDutch or at least near there. One of my grandmother was PennDutch too. She wasn't much of a cook but she made a fabulous salad with apples, celery, nuts and a mustard dressing. Do you know that one?

No, I'm only familiar with the type of apple salad iqdiva posted. But if she presented it as a "special" dressing, it might have been "top-milk dressing". Back in the days before pasteurized milk, women would take the top-milk (cream) from the milk bottles and mix with mustard, salt and pepper and a 2:3 ratio of cider vinegar to white sugar. This was served over dandelion greens and also the first leaf lettuce of the year.

The downside was that everyone had skim milk for a little while afterwards.
    Jump to:
    © 2014 APG vNext Trial Version 5.1