sardines SARDINES <'((((><

Page: < 123 > Showing page 2 of 3 - Powered by APG vNext Trial
Author
marky
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 104
RE: sardines SARDINES &lt;'((((&gt;&lt; 2006/02/20 16:48:09 (permalink)
love season sardines in tomato sauce right out of the can. bruswick maine sardines in water on multi grain toast lettuce tomato onion and lots of butter. down in so. florida they have dozens of brands to pick from.
Michael Hoffman
Double-chop Porterhouse
  • Total Posts : 18625
RE: sardines SARDINES &lt;'((((&gt;&lt; 2006/02/20 17:54:27 (permalink)
OK. It's a typical February day in Central Ohio. Grey skies, temperatures in the teens -- that sort of thing. So I didn't go fishing. Instead, I was cleaning out one of my tackle boxes, and decided to have a fishing lunch as a result of all the sardine talk. One can of King Oscar brisling sardines packed in olive oil, one can of Armour Vienna sausage and half a sleeve of Saltines later I'm sort of happily unhungry.
marberthenad
Double Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 509
RE: sardines SARDINES &lt;'((((&gt;&lt; 2006/02/20 21:00:18 (permalink)
quote:
Originally posted by Rustywolf

Sardines sandiches: One of our favorites!

Spread boneless and skinless sardines packed in olive oil on well-toasted rye. Add tomato and cucumber slices. Salt, pepper and drizzle a little olive oil on top.

My wife adds cream cheese. I don't.

YUMMM!

Subsitute the tomato and cucumber for onion, and you have my sardine comination. Try to buy at least six cans at a time -- like the fancy ones, but Brunswick sardines do just fine too.
Sonny Funzio
Double Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 907
RE: sardines SARDINES &lt;'((((&gt;&lt; 2006/02/23 19:04:24 (permalink)
Sardines are *WONDERFUL*.
But along with a lengthy list of other foods I am supposed to avoid ... I have to pick my battles ... I have GOUT.

No sardines; no anchovies (my *absolute favorite* - that really kills me - I LOVE anchovies); no organ meats like pate or chopped liver (my favorite sandwich is a pastrami and chopped liver) ... Beefsteak and Kidney pie? fuggedaboudit; no turkey (my favorite white meat); nothing made with any meat reductions so no gravy, no stews ... no mussels (my favorite at the Belgian restaurant in Detroit); no smelt (something I make every year when they are running); nothing with yeast; no salmon, veal, bacon, scallops, trout ... believe me this list goes on and on ... and I haven't even gotten to the vegetables.
OH, and absolutely positively NO ALCOHOL WHATSOEVER ... *especially* no alcohol.

This, along with my doctors admonitions to lay off the cigars (thank God they keep; I have over $400 worth of cigars) ... what's left?

It's like I must have been a very, very horrible person in a previous life or something ... crossed the Alps on elephants and razing whole villages.

Only through ardent prayer and the purchase of indulgences from the Bishop have I been able to get my gout into remission (and without medication for the time being).
During this reprieve I have been able to carefully indulge in those prohibited foods ... but I know ... I'm always eating on borrowed time.

AndreaB
Double Chili Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 1303
RE: sardines SARDINES &lt;'((((&gt;&lt; 2006/02/24 16:53:38 (permalink)
Eyuck re sardines! When I was little we used to have them on crackers for lunch every now and then. All I remember is sometimes
they'd be in a mustard sauce and sometimes in a red sauce. I did not like them --- and I hated anchovies as well. I'm sure my parents still eat them, and I still say eyuck!

Andrea
Rusty246
  • Total Posts : 2414
RE: sardines SARDINES &lt;'((((&gt;&lt; 2006/02/24 17:13:46 (permalink)
quote:
Originally posted by Sonny Funzio

But along with a lengthy list of other foods I am supposed to avoid ... I have to pick my battles ... I have GOUT.

No sardines; no anchovies (my *absolute favorite* - that really kills me - I LOVE anchovies); no organ meats like pate or chopped liver (my favorite sandwich is a pastrami and chopped liver) ... Beefsteak and Kidney pie? fuggedaboudit; no turkey (my favorite white meat); nothing made with any meat reductions so no gravy, no stews ... no mussels (my favorite at the Belgian restaurant in Detroit); no smelt (something I make every year when they are running); nothing with yeast; no salmon, veal, bacon, scallops, trout ... believe me this list goes on and on ... and I haven't even gotten to the vegetables.
OH, and absolutely positively NO ALCOHOL WHATSOEVER ... *especially* no alcohol.

This, along with my doctors admonitions to lay off the cigars (thank God they keep; I have over $400 worth of cigars) ... what's left?

It's like I must have been a very, very horrible person in a previous life or something ... crossed the Alps on elephants and razing whole villages.

Only through ardent prayer and the purchase of indulgences from the Bishop have I been able to get my gout into remission (and without medication for the time being).
During this reprieve I have been able to carefully indulge in those prohibited foods ... but I know ... I'm always eating on borrowed time.

Well bless your heart! What the hell can you eat???
Rusty246
  • Total Posts : 2414
RE: sardines SARDINES &lt;'((((&gt;&lt; 2006/02/24 17:16:15 (permalink)
quote:
Originally posted by AndreaB

Eyuck re sardines! When I was little we used to have them on crackers for lunch every now and then. All I remember is sometimes
they'd be in a mustard sauce and sometimes in a red sauce. I did not like them --- and I hated anchovies as well. I'm sure my parents still eat them, and I still say eyuck!

Andrea

Down here the popular sardine is packed in Louisana Hot Sauce. Notice however, I didn't say I ate them. Oysters on the other hand, let me at em'!
AndreaB
  • Total Posts : 1303
RE: sardines SARDINES &lt;'((((&gt;&lt; 2006/02/24 18:24:05 (permalink)
Thou, Sonny, can send me your cigars and void yourself of all temptation! Especially if they're Cohiba or Romeo y Juliet. No Bishop is required!
And yah Rusty --- oysters are never a bad choice, unless they're bad!

Andrea
essvee
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 425
RE: sardines SARDINES &lt;'((((&gt;&lt; 2006/02/24 19:20:47 (permalink)
An early 20th century gourmand, I'm pretty sure it's Joseph Wechtberg, he wrote a book called 'Blue Trout and Black Truffles,' one of my fave food books, anyways, he or someone like him wrote that at one point sardines aged in the can were a gourmet item, and that 10 years or more was considered the appropriate time to eat them. Wonder if that's still the case some places?
Sonny Funzio
Double Cheeseburger
RE: sardines SARDINES &lt;'((((&gt;&lt; 2006/02/24 19:28:17 (permalink)
quote:
Originally posted by Rusty246

quote:

Well bless your heart! What the hell can you eat???

That's a good question ... uh,
That's a fair question ...
I'm glad you asked that question .......

Sonny Funzio
Double Cheeseburger
RE: sardines SARDINES &lt;'((((&gt;&lt; 2006/02/24 19:30:37 (permalink)
quote:
Originally posted by AndreaB

Thou, Sonny, can send me your cigars and void yourself of all temptation!

Andrea

Dear Andrea. Thank you for your generous offer. You must know my doctor, he said the same thing.
PapaJoe8
Sirloin
  • Total Posts : 5504
RE: sardines SARDINES &lt;'((((&gt;&lt; 2006/02/26 13:29:29 (permalink)
Lots of great ideas about how to eat sardines. Im gonna try em all, thanks!

Hmm, I might start a new thread about those little smoked oysters in a can.
Joe
Sundancer7
Fire Safety Admin
  • Total Posts : 13521
RE: sardines SARDINES &lt;'((((&gt;&lt; 2006/02/26 14:10:05 (permalink)
I enjoy the sardines packed in Tabasco but my wife makes me take them out on the deck. They tend to stink up the house a bit.

Paul E. Smith
Knoxville, TN
V960
  • Total Posts : 2429
RE: sardines SARDINES &lt;'((((&gt;&lt; 2006/03/15 15:47:53 (permalink)
My hunting vest always has a few tins of the wonderful fish. One tin of the spreadable Sapm is also in there. I couldn't count the number of lunches under a tree in the middle of no where I've had a lunch of sardines, crackers and water. My wife used to ask me if the plastic bag was for the game...no dear...the empty sardine can. Still a tree hugger in some ways.
jinjo76
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 204
RE: sardines SARDINES &lt;'((((&gt;&lt; 2006/03/15 16:01:02 (permalink)
One brand I like is Mooseabec.

http://www.pottedmeatmuseum.com/meatpages/005.htm

http://archiver.rootsweb.com/th/read/NY-MEMORIES/2002-07/1027614369

Jonathan

mtgreen
Junior Burger
  • Total Posts : 25
RE: sardines SARDINES &lt;'((((&gt;&lt; 2006/04/21 14:48:36 (permalink)
I love sardines and my bunch will put up with me enjoying them,even though it is a solo endeavor. The wonderful taste does not compare to the great memories they bring me. Fishing with my folks,hunting with my friends,camping as a kid.I guess it's true comfort food to me
Sundancer7
Fire Safety Admin
RE: sardines SARDINES &lt;'((((&gt;&lt; 2006/04/21 15:21:14 (permalink)
You know, something that is the same about many of the folks who hunt and fish. They always have sardines available. I have a buddy who bass fishes. He has got the whole nine yards of a boat with a hot rod motor, all kinds of fishing gear and a galley full of sardines, vienna sausages and both of them were packed with all kinds of flavors. From tabasco hot, onion and various other things. I thought it was weird until about 5:00PM and then he brought out the liquor and then I thought they tasted good

Paul E. Smith
Knoxville, TN
UncleVic
Sirloin
  • Total Posts : 6025
RE: sardines SARDINES &lt;'((((&gt;&lt; 2006/04/21 15:57:25 (permalink)
Paul... Your living the good life there!
Extreme Glow
Double Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 717
RE: sardines SARDINES &lt;'((((&gt;&lt; 2006/04/21 16:10:34 (permalink)
I like the boneless, skinless kind from Morocco on a Ritz cracker with some Inglehoffer stone ground mustard. The Ritz and mustard work well with the bizarre smoked oysters from Korea as well.
Sundancer7
Fire Safety Admin
RE: sardines SARDINES &lt;'((((&gt;&lt; 2006/04/21 16:14:34 (permalink)
Actually Uncle Vic, it has been a tough day. I started out with Mellow Joy coffee on the deck at 4:00AM during a super thunder and lightning display with about two inches of rain. I followed that up with a couple more cups of Mellow Joy, took the wife, Mamaw Smith and brother to the S & S cafeteria where I had a super veggie plate with some Mexican cornbread for lunch. It is now 4:00PM, I am having a cocktail on the deck watching my geese, ducks and osprey on the Tennessee River and getting ready to take the grandkids to dinner.

I may have another cocktail when I return

Paul E. Smith
Knoxville, TN
PapaJoe8
Sirloin
  • Total Posts : 5504
RE: sardines SARDINES &lt;'((((&gt;&lt; 2006/04/21 17:24:29 (permalink)
Well Jinjo, looks like those mooseabecks are gone forever. I have never had the pleasure but if someone could reserict them... hmmm?

And to get to watch an osprey fly over tha Tennessee river.... lucky you Sundancer!
Joe
Phildelmar
Double Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 858
RE: sardines SARDINES &lt;'((((&gt;&lt; 2006/04/21 19:01:52 (permalink)
I was out on an archeological dig today, and when it came time to break for lunch, 3 out of 5 of us pulled out canned fish.
Of course, several of my colleagues are Chesapeake water people, so the fisherfolk connection holds true.
Bushie
Filet Mignon
  • Total Posts : 2902
RE: sardines SARDINES &lt;'((((&gt;&lt; 2006/04/21 22:36:27 (permalink)
quote:

Dude, tell your doctor to go scr*w himself. For reasons unknown to me, but proved by my experience, 99% of "mainstream" physicians don't know SH*T about nutrition. I could talk to you for hours about the advice given to family and friends for the almost 50 years I've been on this planet. It's not that the doctors aren't well-meaning, they just don't know sh*t from Shinola about how foods affect your body.

I've had bouts of gout over the last 15 years of my life. All my uncles have suffered from it; most likely because we're all a bunch of drunks. So, I'm not speaking from ignorance.

The best thing you can do is drink LOTS of water. Gout is really nothing more than an excessive amount of uric acid in your body. It tends to gather in the joints and crystallize. That accounts for the extreme pain (and IT IS an extreme pain).

Anti-inflammatory drugs help. Motrin works best for me, but your doctor could prescribe a stronger drug.

Your diet can definitely affect this, but you should NOT stay away from sardines. Sardines are an EXCELLENT food. And frankly, any person, doctor or not, who tells you to stay away from salmon is a moron. I once went to a nutritionist at the advice of a doctor many years ago. She said I should not eat salmon because it had too much fat.

The majority of the nutrition advice in the "mainstream" is total BS. Do your own research. Instead of staying away from any certain food, stay away from processed foods as much as you can. Don't buy farm-raised fish, buy wild-caught. Buy locally-raised fruits and veggies and much as you can. Ditto for chicken and beef if you can get them raised locally.

If you want a meat to stay away from, it's pork. Any pork product.

Tell your doctor to contact me if he takes offense at my advice.
sizz
  • Total Posts : 1688
RE: sardines SARDINES &lt;'((((&gt;&lt; 2006/04/21 23:23:27 (permalink)
Eat, Drink, & Be Merry
America's Doctor Tells You Why The Health Experts Are Wrong
by Dean Edell
In Eat, Drink, & Be Merry, Dr. Dean Edell exposes the sloppy, irresponsible, and dangerous health reporting that is the daily fodder of newspapers, talk shows, and TV news segments. Dr. Dean tells you what has been scientifically proven and what has not. Seasoned, frank, funny, and compassionate, Dr. Dean is an iconoclast who takes on the medical establishment, the health-and-fitness industry, and the media with equal gusto.

In Eat, Drink, & Be Merry he offers you the truth about healthy living. And there will be many surprises along the way. For instance, did you know that. . .

• Some canned and frozen foods can be more nutritious than fresh?...but I dont think he means
Dinty Moore Beef Stew

Dean Edell’s Biography:
Dean Edell, M.D., probably has the largest medical practice in the United States -- his hugely popular radio and television broadcasts are heard by more than ten million fans every week. A graduate of Cornell University Medical College and the author of the national best-seller Eat, Drink, and Be Merry, he lives in the San Francisco Bay Area.
Bushie
Filet Mignon
RE: sardines SARDINES &lt;'((((&gt;&lt; 2006/04/22 00:59:48 (permalink)
quote:
Originally posted by fpczyz

Eat, Drink, & Be Merry
America's Doctor Tells You Why The Health Experts Are Wrong
by Dean Edell
In Eat, Drink, & Be Merry, Dr. Dean Edell exposes the sloppy, irresponsible, and dangerous health reporting that is the daily fodder of newspapers, talk shows, and TV news segments. Dr. Dean tells you what has been scientifically proven and what has not. Seasoned, frank, funny, and compassionate, Dr. Dean is an iconoclast who takes on the medical establishment, the health-and-fitness industry, and the media with equal gusto.

In Eat, Drink, & Be Merry he offers you the truth about healthy living. And there will be many surprises along the way. For instance, did you know that. . .

• Some canned and frozen foods can be more nutritious than fresh?...but I dont think he means
Dinty Moore Beef Stew

Dean Edell’s Biography:
Dean Edell, M.D., probably has the largest medical practice in the United States -- his hugely popular radio and television broadcasts are heard by more than ten million fans every week. A graduate of Cornell University Medical College and the author of the national best-seller Eat, Drink, and Be Merry, he lives in the San Francisco Bay Area.

Dean Edell is not very smart. I've read both of his books, and I've listened to his show for YEARS. He's had a lot of education and experience in the medical field, but he has NO common sense. He constantly bloviates about himself, and he does nothing in that but prove himself to be an idiot.

sizz
  • Total Posts : 1688
RE: sardines SARDINES &lt;'((((&gt;&lt; 2006/04/22 02:27:54 (permalink)
quote:
Bushie Posted - 04/22/2006 : 00:59:48
Dean Edell is not very smart. I've read both of his books, and I've listened to his show for YEARS. He's had a lot of education and experience in the medical field, but he has NO common sense. He constantly bloviates about himself, and he does nothing in that but prove himself to be an idiot.

Thanks for the medical information Dr. Bushie...................... I suppose your right about Dr. Dean for if anyone here was an expert on bloviation it certainly would be you.
Now I wonder how you made it through Med School? It must of been tuff for you, did they really call you Dr. Bushie then? I could just hear it now on the PA system throughout the medical facility ....."doctor Bushie, ...paging doctor Bushie your wanted in the OB-GYN clinic "
Adjudicator
Sirloin
  • Total Posts : 5066
RE: sardines SARDINES &lt;'((((&gt;&lt; 2006/04/22 11:49:32 (permalink)
....."doctor Bushie, ...paging doctor Bushie your wanted in the OB-GYN clinic "

Bushie did offer free services in a parking lot a while back...

Bushie(???)

Michael Hoffman
Double-chop Porterhouse
  • Total Posts : 18625
RE: sardines SARDINES &lt;'((((&gt;&lt; 2006/04/22 11:57:14 (permalink)
Ah, Bushie, congratulations. You've just been pecked by a rubber-billed hummingbird.
wlipman
Junior Burger
  • Total Posts : 5
RE: sardines SARDINES &lt;'((((&gt;&lt; 2006/04/22 12:10:15 (permalink)
King Oscar sardines, packed in olive oil. Mmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm!

You take 2 large slices of good, crusty rye bread, toast it just so, spread some of the olive oil the sardines are packed on it.

Using an egg slicer, slice a hard-boiled egg, distribute the slices evenly, layer the sardines on top, put the other piece of rye toast coated with the sardine-flavored olive oil on top, and there's a lunch fit for a king!
Bushie
Filet Mignon
RE: sardines SARDINES &lt;'((((&gt;&lt; 2006/04/22 23:08:04 (permalink)
quote:
Originally posted by Michael Hoffman

Ah, Bushie, congratulations. You've just been pecked by a rubber-billed hummingbird.

Yeah, and I always thought that California idiot (fpczyz) and I agreed on things. Go figure.

I'm not a doctor, but I like to play "Doctor" with Mrs. Bushie. The pelvic exams are my favorite part.
Page: < 123 > Showing page 2 of 3 - Powered by APG vNext Trial
Jump to:
© 2014 APG vNext Trial Version 5.1