Sign In | Register for Free!
Restaurants Recipes Forums EatingTours Merchandise FAQ Maps Insider
Forum Themes:
Welcome !

sardines SARDINES <'((((><

Change Page: 123 > | Showing page 1 of 3, messages 1 to 30 of 63
sizz

• Total Posts: 1682
sardines SARDINES <'((((>< Sat, 02/18/06 12:06 PM (permalink)
Last night I opened a can of delicioussardines and as I enjoyed them over the frown of my wife Linda (she hates them). I begin to wonder if there were many people left on this planet that still partake in this delicacy?
It seams that a good can of sardines like a good woman, their harder and harder to find. A lot of grocers don't even keep them stocked on the shelves and I have to wonder just how long it will be before they are no longer there. A sad day for sure.
Young people wouldn't eat a sardine if it killed them........... and they act as if it would kill them ................ so I wonder just how long we sardine lovers have before they're gone.
Bumble Bee sardines in oil from Poland have got to be the best I have eaten in 50 years
What about you folks? find any better? ...............
things I like to do with sardines....... toss a bowl of iceburg lettuce with mayonnaise and dump a can of sardines atop, oil and all..................
open a can, take a fork and press the fish into it's oil to form a semi paste and fork that onto some soft fresh white bread. add a little mayo and lettuce and you have a wonderful sandwich............

Adjudicator

• Total Posts: 5057
    RE: sardines SARDINES <'((((>< Sat, 02/18/06 12:20 PM (permalink)
    MY favorite not sardines but canned smoked herring. Love with some good flat bread, some diced onions, and (yes), hot salsa. Nothing better. Good fish oil content (Omega 3) also. At least twice a week 4 me.

Donna Douglass

• Total Posts: 508
      RE: sardines SARDINES <'((((>< Sat, 02/18/06 12:25 PM (permalink)
      Love sardines and hope they are never taken off the shelves. Love them for snacks, salads, spreads, or anyway that I can think of to fix them. I really prefer the ones in mustard but love them all.

So many things are being lost along the way. Thought of the canned codfish cake mixture that used to be available.....my Grandmother would make the best codfish cakes using that canned product. Haven't seen it in 50 years.

Change is inevitable, but it doesn't have to be liked, does it?

Donna

Tedbear

• Total Posts: 1832
        RE: sardines SARDINES <'((((>< Sat, 02/18/06 12:29 PM (permalink)
        I too am a sardine fancier, and I agree with you that the availability of this item may likely decrease as the younger population seems to be either ignorant of these little delicacies or is at least unwilling to try them (after all, if it isn't available at a fast food joint, how good could it be? )

Even though I enjoy eating sardines, I am not fond of dealing with their heads, so I buy the headless ones, packed in water, from the Season company. I like to make a salad of tossed baby greens, with lots of onions & some roasted peppers, and then I top it with a couple of cans of drained sardines. Then, I mix up a batch of lemon/olive oil dressing, toss it together, and...YUM!

Adjudicator

• Total Posts: 5057
          RE: sardines SARDINES <'((((>< Sat, 02/18/06 12:43 PM (permalink)
          Of course, there is always Surströmming...

BuddyRoadhouse

• Total Posts: 4074
            RE: sardines SARDINES <'((((>< Sat, 02/18/06 12:58 PM (permalink)
            I have been known to enjoy a sardine or two on occasion. Not a big fan, but every once in a while I get a craving.

My dad on the other hand makes sardines with dark bread and a little Swiss cheese a semi-regular lunch. When my older daughter, Lucy, was a little girl, she used to watch her Zaidie (Yiddish for Grampa) eat his sardine lunch. She was fascinated by all those fish crammed into that little can. She would sit and watch my Dad consume the entire tin, requiring him to name each fish prior to consumption!

"What's that one's name?"

"Earl" (chomp, gulp)

"What's that one's name?"

"Betty" (chomp, gulp)

"How about that one?"

"Mike" (chomp, gulp)

And so on.

They both enjoyed this ritual so much that after a while my daughter got up enough nerve to try a sardine herself. The most bizarre thing happened; this three year old girl fell in love with sardines! Every time her Zaidie sat down for a sardine lunch, he had to make sure there were a couple of fish in reserve for his grand-daughter.

When we closed on our house twenty one years ago, my folks took us all out to a celebratory dinner at The Bagel restaurant in its original location on Devon Avenue in Chicago. In addition to the meal, Mom & Dad bought us a bunch of small house-warming gifts that were presented at the end of dinner. If you held a gun to my head I couldn't tell you what they bought me, but for the rest of my life I'll never forget what they bought my daughter-a can of sardines! Now, you would think a four year old girl would be disappointed by anything less than a new doll or stuffed animal. Not Lucy. She unwrapped the little package, and in that moment of realization and excitement, screamed out at full piercing volume, "SARDINES". There were quite a few startled diners at The Bagel that evening.

Anyway, Frank, I wouldn't worry about the decreasing popularity of your little fishies. I've got to think there are enough ethnic markets in the Bay Area that you would be able to find a consistent supply of sardines for a long time to come.

Michael Hoffman

• Total Posts: 17817
              RE: sardines SARDINES <'((((>< Sat, 02/18/06 1:44 PM (permalink)
              I buy King Oscar brisling sardines in olive oil. I'll eat them as a snack on crackers, mashed with chopped onion and mayonnaise as sardine salad for a sandwich, on a plate with a kipper snack and sliced onions, and with Vienna sausage and crackers while out fishing.

Sardines! It's what's for dinner.

Phishmonger

• Total Posts: 217
                RE: sardines SARDINES <'((((>< Sat, 02/18/06 2:49 PM (permalink)
                I, too, just love sardines. The King Oscar brand in olive oil, I agree, is great, but I also like Maine sardines. They're a little larger fish, but good. Also, Kipper Snacks (smoked herring in oil) are a favorite of mine. I eat any and all of these with toast (any kind) for lunch frequently. And, as mentioned, the Omega-3 supplied is a healthy plus.
                At a Portugese Festival in Ludlow, Mass., they serve fresh sardines, grilled over a smoky fire. You just step up and order as many fish as you can eat. They slap them on a paper plate and hand you a Portugese Roll or two, and you are in heaven. This is an annual fest and worth it for the Portugese food alone.

Michael Hoffman

RE: sardines SARDINES <'((((>< Sat, 02/18/06 3:19 PM (permalink)
                  I can't find any other sardines in olive oil here. The other brands are packed in soybean oil, mustard, and some other stuff.

berndog

• Total Posts: 674
                    RE: sardines SARDINES <'((((>< Sat, 02/18/06 4:03 PM (permalink)
                    This site really brings back memories of long forgotten foods. I can't remember the last time I had sardines. My father loved them as well as kippers. He used to open a can of kippers and saute them for a few minutes in a frying pan for breakfast with his eggs. He also loved sardine sandwiches on rye, with a slice of onion.

I used to get sardines and eat them on a plate with a few squirts of lemon juice, some sliced tomato on the side, and toasted rye bread with butter. I don't think I've had them for 25 years, but I'll be looking for them the next time I'm at Wegmans.

jeepguy

• Total Posts: 1555
                      RE: sardines SARDINES <'((((>< Sat, 02/18/06 4:34 PM (permalink)
                      Most of our crew at work are Polish.Every Friday they eat either sardines,herring or some other fish from a can.I like sardines and will now look for King Oscar in the olive oil.I really like the herring in wine sauce in the tiny tins from the German deli but they are $$$.Also the Salmon Pate with Dill in the tube very much.

tiki

• Total Posts: 4135
                        RE: sardines SARDINES <'((((>< Sat, 02/18/06 9:22 PM (permalink)
                        As a matter of fact---My absolutely marvalous wife,Janie,presented me with a can of Brislings--in olive oil!!---for Valentines Day!!!! --oh--she got flowers AND chocolate!--and a surprise 2nd box of chocolate left in her car for her find when she left for work!

roossy90

• Total Posts: 6695
                          RE: sardines SARDINES <'((((>< Sat, 02/18/06 9:51 PM (permalink)
                          I love your little fishy on the subject line.

mr chips

• Total Posts: 4715
                            RE: sardines SARDINES <'((((>< Sun, 02/19/06 12:08 AM (permalink)
                            I like sardines. And anchovies. And my wife still lets me kiss her.

tacchino

• Total Posts: 560
                              RE: sardines SARDINES <'((((>< Sun, 02/19/06 12:25 AM (permalink)
                              Those sardines in mustard sauce are absolutely delicious.
                              People who hate the overly salted anchovies normally served here in the US should really give the Mediterrean anchovies (similar to sardines) a try. A very different taste, and quite good, IMO.

Jimeats

• Total Posts: 3175
                                RE: sardines SARDINES <'((((>< Sun, 02/19/06 4:28 AM (permalink)
                                Sardines can't say as I ever had one but checked pantry got 4 cans on hand, all different brands I might add. I think I bought them at different times because they were on sale or something or maybe picked them up for the Millienium Bug. I got more useless crap or better still STUFF on my pantry shelf that I don't use but there for that emergency that thank the Lord never comes. Thats good fodder for another thread though. Anyway I agree with Tacchino Mediterrean Anchovies are super, now those I eat. I love Anchovies with my pasta, with apizza,salads and even eggs on occasion. Got to explain the egg thing before someone asks. I use them in a fritata with sun dried tomatos not too much you don't want to overpower the eggs. Now my farther inlaw I've seen him mix sardines with Spam and chopped red onions and spread on crackers for a snack Oh yea I got spam on the shelf also thats for the next impending disaster. Chow Jim

sizz

• Total Posts: 1682
                                  RE: sardines SARDINES <'((((>< Sun, 02/19/06 11:53 AM (permalink)
                                  I searched "sardines" in Google Images and found this pic. ........... lol, this ought to put the last nail in the coffin of the good folks that don't like Sardines. ...................
                                  Sardine Worker

Pancho

• Total Posts: 915
                                    RE: sardines SARDINES <'((((>< Sun, 02/19/06 12:13 PM (permalink)
                                    quote:
                                    Originally posted by fpczyz

Last night I opened a can of delicious sardines and as I enjoyed them over the frown of my wife Linda (she hates them). I begin to wonder if there were many people left on this planet that still partake in this delicacy?
                                    It seams that a good can of sardines like a good woman, their harder and harder to find. A lot of groceries don't even keep them stocked on the shelves and I have to wonder just how long it will be before that are no longer there. A sad day for sure.
                                    Young people wouldn't eat a sardine you killed them........... and they act as if it would kill them ................ so I wonder just how long we sardine lovers have before there gone.
                                    Bumble Bee sardines in oil from Poland have got to be the best I have eaten in 50 years
                                    What about you folks? find any better? ...............
                                    things I like to do with sardines....... toss a bowl of ice-burg lattice with mayonnaise and dump a can of sardines atop, oil and all..................
                                    open a can, take a fork and press the fish into it's oil to form a semi paste and fork that onto some soft fresh white bread. add a little mayo and lattice and you have a wonderful sandwich............
                                    I'm with you, but a subtle hint. Never compare sardines with a good woman. Anyway, back to those wonderful little cans of fun. Did I say that? I eat them out of the can, especially love the Spanish lunker varieties in tomato sauce. I love the tin of anything sardines. I have eaten them like your prescribed recipe as well. I also love kipper snacks, smoked oysters in a tin, clams....One of my most memorable meals with me on the road in redwood country, CA....Bottle of white wine, can of Campbell's pork and beans, 2 cans of sardines and a loaf of french. I fell asleep to sweet dreams gazing up under the redwoods.

tiki

• Total Posts: 4135
                                      RE: sardines SARDINES <'((((>< Sun, 02/19/06 9:19 PM (permalink)
                                      quote:
                                      Originally posted by Pancho

[
                                      ..One of my most memorable meals with me on the road in redwood country, CA....Bottle of white wine, can of Campbell's pork and beans, 2 cans of sardines and a loaf of french. I fell asleep to sweet dreams gazing up under the redwoods.

Hey Pancho---you didnt happen to share that meal with a big old hippie with a full beard. did you!!??? You brought back some fine memories!!

UncleVic

• Total Posts: 6025
                                        • Roadfood Insider
                                        RE: sardines SARDINES <'((((>< Sun, 02/19/06 11:54 PM (permalink)
                                        I like my Sprats from Riga, Latvia. 99 cents a can here at the Russian Market.. (Sprats are sardines in oil)... Love em when ya open a can at room temp! Great flavor burst...

UncleVic

• Total Posts: 6025
                                          • Roadfood Insider
                                          RE: sardines SARDINES <'((((>< Sun, 02/19/06 11:56 PM (permalink)
                                          quote:

I searched "sardines" in Googel Images and found this pic. ........... lol, this ought to put the last nail in the coffin of the good folks that don't like Sardines. ...................
                                          Sardine Worker

mmmm... Smoked Sardines!

BT

• Total Posts: 3589
                                            RE: sardines SARDINES <'((((>< Mon, 02/20/06 2:08 AM (permalink)
                                            I like pretty much all those little canned seafoody things: sardines, anchovies, smoked oysters, minced clams. I probably eat more anchovies than the others though. Haven't had any sardines in a long time, but not sure why. Maybe I'll go looking for the BumbleBee ones Frank recommends and renew the relationship.

mr chips

• Total Posts: 4715
                                              RE: sardines SARDINES <'((((>< Mon, 02/20/06 2:35 AM (permalink)
                                              quote:
                                              Originally posted by UncleVic

quote:

I searched "sardines" in Googel Images and found this pic. ........... lol, this ought to put the last nail in the coffin of the good folks that don't like Sardines. ...................
                                              Sardine Worker

mmmm... Smoked Sardines!

kland01s

• Total Posts: 2835
                                                • Location: Fox River Valley, IL
                                                RE: sardines SARDINES <'((((>< Mon, 02/20/06 8:52 AM (permalink)
                                                Love sardines! Those little guys helped me survive the late and near post college years! Best part was that no roomie liked them so I never had to worry about someone else helping themselves to them! I like the ones in hot sauce now.

Rustywolf

• Total Posts: 176
                                                  RE: sardines SARDINES <'((((>< Mon, 02/20/06 1:43 PM (permalink)
                                                  Sardines sandiches: One of our favorites!

Spread boneless and skinless sardines packed in olive oil on well-toasted rye. Add tomato and cucumber slices. Salt, pepper and drizzle a little olive oil on top.

My wife adds cream cheese. I don't.

YUMMM!

Rustywolf

• Total Posts: 176
                                                    RE: sardines SARDINES <'((((>< Mon, 02/20/06 2:06 PM (permalink)
                                                    Sardines sandiches: One of our favorites!

Spread boneless and skinless sardines packed in olive oil on well-toasted rye. Add tomato and cucumber slices. Salt, pepper and drizzle a little olive oil on top.

My wife adds cream cheese. I don't.

YUMMM!

tsores

• Total Posts: 653
                                                      RE: sardines SARDINES <'((((>< Mon, 02/20/06 2:12 PM (permalink)
                                                      Long, and true, story: When I was around 6, my folks took a week long trip leaving my 9 year old brother and me with a baby sitter. She was an older, East Europe immigrant lady, Mrs. Plotzker. My conscientious mother left a house fully stocked with food and enough money to buy more. Upon their return she saw that all was well, paid the sitter and that was that.

Then she looked in the refridgerator and pantry. To her surprise, there was no food missing. Nothing. She asked why that was and what we ate. We told her we were fed sardines. She asked what else? We told her sardines. Just sardines. Every day. Every meal.

To this day, I have no desire for sardines.

scbuzz

• Total Posts: 844
                                                        RE: sardines SARDINES <'((((>< Mon, 02/20/06 3:42 PM (permalink)
                                                        I love Sardines packed in hot sauce. The ones packed in olive oil are my next favorite !

jeepguy

• Total Posts: 1555
                                                          • Location: chicago, IL
                                                          RE: sardines SARDINES <'((((>< Mon, 02/20/06 4:00 PM (permalink)
                                                          quote:
                                                          Originally posted by Michael Hoffman

I buy King Oscar brisling sardines in olive oil. I'll eat them as a snack on crackers, mashed with chopped onion and mayonnaise as sardine salad for a sandwich, on a plate with a kipper snack and sliced onions, and with Vienna sausage and crackers while out fishing.

Thanks!I bought a can yesterday of the King Oscar in OO.My lunch today-really great!!!I like the small size alot.I just stopped and bought two more cans!Really great.

Michael Hoffman

• Location: Gahanna, OH
                                                            RE: sardines SARDINES <'((((>< Mon, 02/20/06 4:30 PM (permalink)
                                                            quote:
                                                            Originally posted by jeepguy

quote:
                                                            Originally posted by Michael Hoffman

Thanks!I bought a can yesterday of the King Oscar in OO.My lunch today-really great!!!I like the small size alot.I just stopped and bought two more cans!Really great.

Glad you enjoyed them.

Online Bookmarks Sharing: Share/Bookmark
                                                              Change Page: 123 > | Showing page 1 of 3, messages 1 to 30 of 63

Jump to:

Current active users

There are 0 members and 1 guests.

Icon Legend and Permission

• New Messages
                                                              • No New Messages
                                                              • Hot Topic w/ New Messages
                                                              • Hot Topic w/o New Messages
                                                              • Locked w/ New Messages
                                                              • Locked w/o New Messages
                                                              • Read Message
                                                              • Post New Thread
                                                              • Reply to message
                                                              • Post New Poll
                                                              • Submit Vote
                                                              • Post reward post
                                                              • Delete my own posts
                                                              • Delete my own threads
                                                              • Rate post

2000-2014 ASPPlayground.NET Forum Version 3.9
                                                              What is Roadfood?  |   Privacy Policy  |   Contact Roadfood.com   Copyright 2011 - Roadfood.com