sauce for sandwiches, po boy, and hamburgers

Author
wfarah
Junior Burger
  • Total Posts : 2
2010/07/19 20:32:13 (permalink)

sauce for sandwiches, po boy, and hamburgers

i am looking for a special sauce for customers to use on their sandwiches, po boys and burgers. this would be condiment to put on tables along with ketchup, etc. i would like to be able to prepare it at shop. any ideas or suggestions. a friend who had a restaurant some years ago suggested a sauce made of tartar sauce, tabasco, ketchup and lemon juice! that just does not sound right!

22 Replies Related Threads

BillyB
    Filet Mignon
    • Total Posts : 2851
    Re:sauce for sandwiches, po boy, and hamburgers 2010/07/19 20:52:11 (permalink)
    I would experiment with a different version of a "Remoulade sauce" this sauce is good with crab cakes and things like that. You could make your own version and add a Chipolte pepper, horseradish, for a different flavor.................Good luck................Billyb
    DawnT
    Double Chili Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 1286
    Re:sauce for sandwiches, po boy, and hamburgers 2010/07/19 21:08:02 (permalink)
    Perhaps it would be a nice gesture if you introduced yourself as a new member, first time poster, and attempted to get to know our community first. You'll find many of us very helpful, knowledgeable, and supportive to your efforts. On the other hand, I don't believe that you'd be very helpful intially if a newcommer entered into your place and immediately started to ask you about your business strategy or menu items with the interest of not having to do the work himself and make a profit off of your efforts. Get to know us, show us that you've put some individual research and creative effort into something that you want to make your own first and I'm sure there will be plenty of folks here offering suggestions and guidance. The archives might be a good place for you to start.

Welcome aboard.
    6star
    Filet Mignon
    • Total Posts : 4388
    Re:sauce for sandwiches, po boy, and hamburgers 2010/07/19 23:20:08 (permalink)
    I am sure I will get some flak from this, since I know a lot of people here have a low opinion of ranch dressing, even though it is very popular with the general public, but:

How about a blend of ranch dressing, a little sweet pickle juice (or maybe pickle relish), and a little horseradish sauce (just enough so you can just barely taste it)?  This would give you components of salty, sweet, and tart as well as a little "kick" from the horseradish.  You could also add something for a little "heat" (Tabasco, chipolte, etc.) if you thought your customers would enjoy that.

I have added ranch dressing as a "hidden ingredient" in several  different things where people have commented about how much better they tasted than the version they were used to.
    wfarah
    Junior Burger
    • Total Posts : 2
    Re:sauce for sandwiches, po boy, and hamburgers 2010/07/20 01:01:03 (permalink)

you are absolutely right. i am sorry. my name is wendy farah and own a small sandwich/ poboy shop in baton rouge, la which just opened couple of weeks ago. the shop serves poboys (main item!), seafood, hamburgers and chicken wings and tenders. this is my second venture in the restaurant business. competition is stiff around me and looking to offer unique items and hopefully helps me build loyal and repeat customers. a special sauce is just an idea and may help a little bit. i searched many websites and really couldn't find anything worth experimenting with. i am also experimenting with wraps - pita wraps that is and would appreciate feedback on that as well.

BillyB
    Filet Mignon
    • Total Posts : 2851
    Re:sauce for sandwiches, po boy, and hamburgers 2010/07/20 07:46:55 (permalink)
    We make a Buttermilk chicken tender, and everyone always runs for the ranch dressing. Sweet and hot mustard, and mix orange marmalade with chili sauce to make a good dipping sauce. Tzatziki sauce is great for a cooling affect for a Buffalo chicken wrap, or you can also use a blue cheese dressing.  Grilled Cuban wrap with Ham,pork,pickles,swiss cheese, mustard then press on a grill to heat/crisp. Crispy chicken wrap with Remoulade sauce, Turkey wrap with a cranberry cream cheese spread. Blackened Chicken cajun sausage wrap..........................BillyB
    edwmax
    • Total Posts : 2107
    Re:sauce for sandwiches, po boy, and hamburgers 2010/07/20 08:09:42 (permalink)
    Try a Russian dressing based sauce.  Something similar to the old Arby's red sauce.     .... I don't know what Arbys did to the their red sauce, but it's not the same as 25 years ago.  ... It use to be sweeter & did not have the BBQ flavor.

The red sauce along with 6stars' "ranch/horsey" sauce would be good.

ps:  maybe the sauce was French or Catalina dressing based.   The old red sauce was red but translucent in appearance, so it was not catchup based.
    post edited by edwmax - 2010/07/20 14:29:30
    lornaschinske
    • Total Posts : 1610
    Re:sauce for sandwiches, po boy, and hamburgers 2010/07/20 11:32:41 (permalink)
    wfarah
    ... a friend who had a restaurant some years ago suggested a sauce made of tartar sauce, tabasco, ketchup and lemon juice!...

Sounds like a spicy version of "Thousand Island dressing"... you know, McDonald's "Special Sauce" for their big Mac's (the cans used to actually say Thousand Island dressing).
    chewingthefat
    Sirloin
    • Total Posts : 6186
    Re:sauce for sandwiches, po boy, and hamburgers 2010/07/20 11:51:12 (permalink)
    Ketchup, ancho chili powder, cumin, granulated garlic, hot mustard powder[Penzy's], maybe a dash of worstershire, or cider vinegar, don't want thin sauce!
    bartl
    • Total Posts : 1329
    Re:sauce for sandwiches, po boy, and hamburgers 2010/07/25 21:52:53 (permalink)
    First of all, let me tell you a bit of a story. When I was in my 20's, I had an apartment with a pizzeria on the corner. I was a regular customer there. The owner would, whenever he was trying something new, give his regulars a taste and asked them what they thought.

Whatever you decide to try, I recommend offering some of your regular customers a try (maybe attached to some freebie, like a quarter of a hamburger or something like that) and ask their opinions. You get good feedback and solidify your customers' loyalty.

The ideas that people have given are fairly good. One thing you might try is simple horseradish and mayonnaise (I find that Kraft Miracle Whip and its clones make a good horseradish sauce when mixed with plain horseradish).
    DawnT
    • Total Posts : 1286
    Re:sauce for sandwiches, po boy, and hamburgers 2010/07/25 23:29:04 (permalink)
    For an unrefrigerated, table sauce it's going to have to be room temperature stable and not prone to supporting microbial growth. That all but excludes kitchen made sauces with a mayo base. A highly seasoned vinegarette or a spiced catsup would be two directions to look at or another sauce that takes advantage of pre-existing preservatives in the base components.
    guspas
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 197
    Re:sauce for sandwiches, po boy, and hamburgers 2010/07/29 02:45:51 (permalink)
    i would suggest experimenting.  We do dipping sauces for our fries and other items.  We have 7-8 permenant offerings and do a Sauce of the week idea.  I tend to alternate between Ketchups and mayos.  Last week was calypso ketchup, this week is hot curry mayo, etc. 
    dickcharron
    Junior Burger
    • Total Posts : 38
    Re:sauce for sandwiches, po boy, and hamburgers 2012/02/26 10:52:03 (permalink)
    I am also looking for something in the remoulade family to serve on shrimp po boys to be served at fairs and festivals. The problem is that here in Florida in the summertime the ambient temperature not counting the heat generated by our equipment is relatively high. The mayonnaise base of the original remoulade makes it difficult to work with as keeping it cool enough is a problem. Any suggestions on a reasonable alternative that will still deliver that Cajun taste.
    CCinNJ
    Sirloin
    • Total Posts : 7778
    Re:sauce for sandwiches, po boy, and hamburgers 2012/02/26 11:14:10 (permalink)
    Boar's Head (and various others) makes a nice simple prepared creamy horseradish sauce. It goes great with seafood...roast beef etc.

Not too busy to compete with the star of the show has a little kick consistent and eliminates many headaches.

http://www.boarshead.com/....php?productCode=16003
    post edited by CCinNJ - 2012/02/26 11:26:35
    dickcharron
    Junior Burger
    Re:sauce for sandwiches, po boy, and hamburgers 2012/02/26 11:28:41 (permalink)
    Thanks I will pick up a bottle at the grocery store and give it a try. I appreciate the feedback. Maybe I could buy it in gallons somewhere and even doctor it up a bit.
    NYPIzzaNut
    Filet Mignon
    • Total Posts : 3146
    Re:sauce for sandwiches, po boy, and hamburgers 2012/02/26 11:42:19 (permalink)
    Wendy

My favorite seafood  po boy sauce is a combo of mayo, lime juice and cayenne pepper... heaven...mix it proportion - wise any way that suits you ....
    daddywoofdawg
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 299
    Re:sauce for sandwiches, po boy, and hamburgers 2012/02/26 19:06:11 (permalink)
    dickcharron

I am also looking for something in the remoulade family to serve on shrimp po boys to be served at fairs and festivals. The problem is that here in Florida in the summertime the ambient temperature not counting the heat generated by our equipment is relatively high. The mayonnaise base of the original remoulade makes it difficult to work with as keeping it cool enough is a problem. Any suggestions on a reasonable alternative that will still deliver that Cajun taste.

Why not a sign remoulade upon request,and keep it in a reach in.I know I vend all summer so understand you wanting to process orders and not spend it handing out sauces, but it's a easy thought.

daddywoofdawg
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 299
    Re:sauce for sandwiches, po boy, and hamburgers 2012/02/26 19:15:04 (permalink)
    bartl

First of all, let me tell you a bit of a story. When I was in my 20's, I had an apartment with a pizzeria on the corner. I was a regular customer there. The owner would, whenever he was trying something new, give his regulars a taste and asked them what they thought.

Whatever you decide to try, I recommend offering some of your regular customers a try (maybe attached to some freebie, like a quarter of a hamburger or something like that) and ask their opinions. You get good feedback and solidify your customers' loyalty.

The ideas that people have given are fairly good. One thing you might try is simple horseradish and mayonnaise (I find that Kraft Miracle Whip and its clones make a good horseradish sauce when mixed with plain horseradish).

If you do that,also say to the customer,I seen you come in here before and I wanted your opinion,what do you thing of this?and give then the sample.You can say that to a lot of customers.why say it makes them feel like there in the know.so they tell their friends, and bring their friends,because they feel like someone there.

lornaschinske
    Re:sauce for sandwiches, po boy, and hamburgers 2012/02/28 11:36:12 (permalink)
    We offer a pre-made Horseradish sauce that we buy from the grocery store. Taste to see how "hot" it is. The sauce we use tends to end up mostly on the steak sandwich.  I put it in small squeeze bottles (using the baggie trick) and David either holds it in the cold table with the mayo bottle OR keeps it in the food cooler until someone ask for it. Dijon mustard only ends up on the Cordon Bleu. We also offer a Balsamic Vinaigrette as well. Few takers on that so far. It was put on mostly for me since I prefer a Provolone and Ham sub or Italian sub with mayo and Balsamic Vinaigrette. That was how I ate my subs in FL and I got hooked on it that way.

CD Kitchen has a huge recipe base. You can either look up a commercial Copy Cat recipe and tweak it to make it your own (I do that for home use so I can omit ingredients that we don't like) or search by dish (like Condiment). I've gotten some really good recipes off CD Kitchen and I've gotten a few bad ones.
    bartl
    • Total Posts : 1329
    Re:sauce for sandwiches, po boy, and hamburgers 2012/02/29 11:26:41 (permalink)
    You do realize that jarred mayonnaise is so loaded with preservatives that it is not likely to go bad; is there a way you can keep it on ice with the sodas?

A surprisingly good horseradish sauce can be made just by adding horseradish to Miracle Whip.

Bart
    CCinNJ
    Sirloin
    • Total Posts : 7778
    Re:sauce for sandwiches, po boy, and hamburgers 2012/02/29 11:36:30 (permalink)
    You always have to have prepared options depending on the HD and the heat of the day when you are mixing up a blend in the elements. Have to make sure it will hold together all day...from soup to nuts.
    dickcharron
    Junior Burger
    Re:sauce for sandwiches, po boy, and hamburgers 2012/02/29 11:38:03 (permalink)
    You are probably correct in that the preservatives are plentiful in jarred mayonnaise however I'm just have a personal unease with it not being refrigerated. I am going to try a mustard based sauce made by Zatarain. I ordered some and will see how that works out.
    Thanks to all who have recommended different products. You guys all rock!
    I will let you all know my thoughts on the sauce when I try it.
    lornaschinske
    Re:sauce for sandwiches, po boy, and hamburgers 2012/02/29 21:52:32 (permalink)
    Take some mayo, put it in a cup and let it sit out for a few hours and then look at it.. it's nasty looking. Heat really messes with Mayo. We keep ours on ice. Since we left the South, we have been reduced to using mayos other than my preferred Duke's Mayo (it's sugar free unlike every other brand I have found). Dukes does go bad (I left a small jar in the refrigerator of the popup with no power one week.... ick!). I really don't know about the other brands. We go thru it by the quart. Jar lasts a month or less (I use it too). I have found it is best to keep mayo, and mayo based condiments, cold (not freezing) and limit the amount of air that gets to it.
    Jump to:
    © 2014 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1