sausage stuffing for turkey

Author
ann peeples
Sirloin
  • Total Posts : 8317
2007/11/19 08:40:02 (permalink)

sausage stuffing for turkey

I am sure there is a recipe somewhere on this forum, but Bob has decided he wants to try sausage stuffing this year...anyone have a good, fairly simple recipe??

9 Replies Related Threads

fabulousoyster
    Double Chili Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 1855
    RE: sausage stuffing for turkey 2007/11/19 09:09:28 (permalink)
    I've made this seveal times, sausage/fennel stuffing. Delicious.
    http://www.epicurious.com/recipes/food/views/15395
    Ivyhouse
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 329
    RE: sausage stuffing for turkey 2007/11/19 09:43:56 (permalink)
    This is from my Mom and is my favorite stuffing/dressing:

Saute 1 pound of loose sausage (I use a 1 pound roll of Bob Evans original, or anything similar and sage-based) over low heat with 1 large onion and 2 stalks of celery finely diced. The sausage and vegetables should not brown -- the veggies should be soft and the sausage should be crumbled and cooked through.

Add this entire mixture (drippings and all, or drain first if that is your preference) to a package of Pepperidge Farm herb-seasoned stuffing cubes. Add enough chicken broth or turkey stock to moisten. I also add poultry seasoning -- probably a teaspoon or so. Taste and adjust the seasoning or moisture.

Lexi
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 248
    RE: sausage stuffing for turkey 2007/11/19 09:55:00 (permalink)
    My mother's recipe is similar, but I also add fresh chestnuts and mushrooms (about 1/2 lb of each) to the stuffing. So for every bag of stuffing mix (either flavored or plain) fry a pound of bulk breakfast sausage (do NOT use Italian sausage - the flavor profile isn't right). I use 1/2 lb each of carrots, celery and onions chopped and sauteed in the sausage fat left over. Have extra fat and about 2 quarts of hot stock on hand. Season well with pepper and lots of sage. The one tip is to make sure the stuffing is very moist - it should 'sound' like cottage cheese - seriously - otherwise it gets too dry. You can stuff this into the bird or cook it in a casserole along side. If you use a casserole, dot the top w extra fat and cover during cooking except for the last 15 minutes if you like it crispy on top!
    waiterhell
    Hamburger
    • Total Posts : 88
    RE: sausage stuffing for turkey 2007/11/19 10:54:45 (permalink)
    BF and I have discussed it -

Snausage stuffing makes us queasy.......
    HollyDolly
    • Total Posts : 1069
    RE: sausage stuffing for turkey 2007/11/19 11:17:54 (permalink)
    My dad would usually take Owen's or Jimmy Dean's sausage and brown it up.He would drain it so the stuffing wan't greasy. He'd clean the pan and then melt some margarine in a pan to which he would add chopped up celery and onion. He would also add some chopped up apple as well.The apple was peeled.
    The sauted veggies,apple and sausage would be added to Kellog's croutons and that would be mosited with broth from the turkey giblets.It was very good,and a family favorite.
    Ivyhouse,your mom's recipe is like my dad's.Only for some reason he prefered Kellog's.
    Also folks,you can do this with Stove Top Stuffing as well.Just add the sausage,celery,onion and apple to it if you wish.
    I have tried it and it came out really well.
    CajunKing
    Sirloin
    • Total Posts : 6352
    RE: sausage stuffing for turkey 2007/11/19 13:07:29 (permalink)
    CajunKing's Grandfathers' Sausage Dressing (Serves 15-20)

2 bags croutons
    2 lb bulk PORK sausage
    canned chicken broth
    4 eggs
    1 cup chopped onions
    3-4 stalks celery leaves and all
    sage
    2 tsp poultry seasoning
    salt and pepper to taste

Chop onions and celery to fine dice

Place the croutons in a LARGE bowl
    Break the sausage into the the croutons
    Start mixing BY HAND
    Add the onions and celery
    Add the eggs
    Add the seasoning

At this point the croutons will still be fairly solid, start adding chicken broth a little at a time
    until the mixture is gooey but not soupy

At this point you can stuff your bird or put everything into a large baking dish 10x13.

Cover and bake for 45-50 minutes in a 350 degree oven, uncover and bake 10 minutes more to get that slightly crunchy crust on the top.

This recipe is the ONLY thing I have written by my Grandfather, it was his job for Thanksgiving. being the old German he was, when the recipe calls for season to taste, that is exactly what he did.
    grabbed a pinch of raw dressing and tasted it. (Raw pork and all)

Mixing by hand is the only way to go with this recipe, you can get the true feeling of the croutons and how soggy they are getting.

divefl
    • Total Posts : 1671
    RE: sausage stuffing for turkey 2007/11/19 13:15:36 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by Ivyhouse

This is from my Mom and is my favorite stuffing/dressing:

Saute 1 pound of loose sausage (I use a 1 pound roll of Bob Evans original, or anything similar and sage-based) over low heat with 1 large onion and 2 stalks of celery finely diced. The sausage and vegetables should not brown -- the veggies should be soft and the sausage should be crumbled and cooked through.

Add this entire mixture (drippings and all, or drain first if that is your preference) to a package of Pepperidge Farm herb-seasoned stuffing cubes. Add enough chicken broth or turkey stock to moisten. I also add poultry seasoning -- probably a teaspoon or so. Taste and adjust the seasoning or moisture.

This is about what I do, only I add butter before the bread crumbs, then add chicken stock to get the right moistness.
    stricken_detective
    • Total Posts : 2330
    RE: sausage stuffing for turkey 2007/11/23 16:21:25 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by CajunKing

CajunKing's Grandfathers' Sausage Dressing (Serves 15-20)

2 bags croutons
    2 lb bulk PORK sausage
    canned chicken broth
    4 eggs
    1 cup chopped onions
    3-4 stalks celery leaves and all
    sage
    2 tsp poultry seasoning
    salt and pepper to taste

Chop onions and celery to fine dice

Place the croutons in a LARGE bowl
    Break the sausage into the the croutons
    Start mixing BY HAND
    Add the onions and celery
    Add the eggs
    Add the seasoning

At this point the croutons will still be fairly solid, start adding chicken broth a little at a time
    until the mixture is gooey but not soupy

At this point you can stuff your bird or put everything into a large baking dish 10x13.

Cover and bake for 45-50 minutes in a 350 degree oven, uncover and bake 10 minutes more to get that slightly crunchy crust on the top.

This recipe is the ONLY thing I have written by my Grandfather, it was his job for Thanksgiving. being the old German he was, when the recipe calls for season to taste, that is exactly what he did.
    grabbed a pinch of raw dressing and tasted it. (Raw pork and all)

Mixing by hand is the only way to go with this recipe, you can get the true feeling of the croutons and how soggy they are getting.

I am glad you said he tried the sausage raw, I would have tried to cook it first otherwise.
    ann peeples
    Sirloin
    • Total Posts : 8317
    RE: sausage stuffing for turkey 2007/11/23 17:49:58 (permalink)
    Thanks for all your responses...my sausage stuffing was a hit!!What I did was kind of combined all of your ideas,-made a small pan for me with apples, and put mushrooms in the bird stuffing.The rest was pretty much all the ingredients of CK's recipe.Again-thanks for the input!!
    Jump to:
    © 2014 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1